Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Geoff -- Total Movie offer legit?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geoff, I was just wondering if you are in contact with the people at TOTAL MOVIE magazine? Since the first week of September, they have been advertising that if you pay $40 for a subscription you get "40 Free Movies!!!"

When people initially signed up (and paid $$$$), the e-mails said to expect the 40 movies in 6-8 weeks. (Which I notice has been changed on the web site to say 8-12 weeks now.) Later, a Total Movie representative posted in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=125130

that the films would be ready in mid-December. Now it's approaching mid-December and there is no news -- except for rumblings that these won't be available until early 2002. If you read through the thread (or just skim it -- it's 5 pgs. long), you'll see that people aren't having much luck contacting customer support there and the TM rep has stopped posting (last post was a month ago).

Do you know what's up? I think people are starting to get concerned that this company is just stringing people along -- that every month the response will be "the movies will ship next month."

I realize that you don't have time to police each and every ad on this site, but I think some people are assuming that since DVDTalk is still advertising this offer, that it must be legit. Any way that you can get a definitive answer from these folks as to when people can expect the promised films?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-12-01, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on everything I know the offer is legit. I will raise the concern with my contact over there and have them address it ASAP
Old 12-12-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Geoff. They've posted a response in the main thread. Not much of a response, mind you (more of a "we're not sure when you'll get your movies, we are having growing pains, please be patient" type of thing). But it's better than nothing.

I suppose the red flag for me was when I noticed that they had a new offer on their web site where you could give them even MORE money for an even LONGER subscription -- and receive a "free" DVD player. That looked to me like a sure sign of a cash-poor organization trying to get a few more bucks before they fold. To make even more promises when you can't make good on the first ones (after 4 months) doesn't look like a sound business model to me. Actually, to promise people freebies before you know when or if you can deliver on them is pretty bad in general...

Anyway, thank you so much for following up on this and making sure that we got a response... that's why I love this place!
Old 12-13-01, 02:07 PM

The free DVD player offer is not quite as you characterize it though I understand your frustration.

In travels to China TM made some relationships with some DVD player manufacturers. They got a good deal on a quality player and decided to try out the offer.

There is actually less margin on that offer than on the 1 year offer...and everyone who does that subscription will get the player, just as everyone who signed up for the first subscription offer will get the 40 free movies.

Ironically, as DVD players are easier to handle than authoring and replication of 40 movies, there is a possibility that the newer subscribers may get their DVD Player premium first.
Old 12-17-01, 04:49 PM

Legit??? I have yet to receive anything - including a response to e-mail- since my subscription in September.
Old 01-02-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geoff, have you found out anything about this.

I applied for and was charged the fee for the magazine and the "free" 40 movies. I never got an e-mail confirmation for the order but did receive a charge on my card.

This just reeks of shady. No product that i can tell, no magazine, no movies. Now there's this free DVD player offer. I'm supposed to believe a DVD player is going to be sent when i can't get one freakin' copy of the magazine.

This whole deal here has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 01-02-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know anybody who has ever actually gotten anything from them
Old 01-03-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by vaporware

This just reeks of shady. No product that i can tell, no magazine, no movies.
They definitely have a product, I've seen the latest issue for sale sans DVD, and I received a promo copy in the mail from them a few weeks ago along with a beg to subscribe.
Old 01-03-02, 12:10 PM
Registered

I had a talk with our rep at Total Moive over the holidays and he assures me that they are working on getting the 40 movies pressed to DVD.

I am frustrated at the fact that things aren't moving faster with them and we told them that we'd review our relationship with them pending a complete response to our concerns.

If there are some of you who haven't received the magazine yet, definately call customer service and tell them you ordered the subscription but haven't gotten anything yet.

In terms of the 40 movies I am hoping that Total Movie will provide us with a solid date on when they will begin sending them out.
Old 01-04-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Geoff,

It's good to know you have a working relationship with them. I didn't subscribe, but have been getting promo materials from them. The only thing that bothers me about them is that one letter I received asking me to subscribe was a bit fishy.

It said "Thanks for your subscription.." like I had subscribed and this was a billing invoice, when in reality it was sales material. The other beef with that letter was that it stated the sooner I paid them, the sooner I would receive the 40 DVD's. It even encouraged me to call them w/ a CC # to speed this process along even quicker. Since they don't have the 40 DVD's, I find that a bit um, underhanded to say the least. Being a DVD Talk member I know they don't have them yet, but how many non-members received that letter and are expecting to get delivery immediately? It's crazy.

I wish Total Movie luck with their DVD's and just wish they would stop promising what they don't have.
Old 01-08-02, 02:20 PM

Renaldo,

If you got a copy in the mail, apparently Total Movie thought you were are subscriber to either TM or InsideDVD because Total Movie has not actually sent out any "promo" copies with subscription begs.

They have sent out some renewal letters. Those renewal letters do have the marketing language you talked about and I will address that with them.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 01-10-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TotalMovie
Renaldo,

If you got a copy in the mail, apparently Total Movie thought you were are subscriber to either TM or InsideDVD because Total Movie has not actually sent out any "promo" copies with subscription begs.

They have sent out some renewal letters. Those renewal letters do have the marketing language you talked about and I will address that with them.

Thanks for your feedback.
I'm impressed that you've posted here. However, i was charged for a product immediately. I received no e-mail confirmation. I've received no product. I've received no help from your staff. Several Banks have your company on their warning list.

I will try to dispute the charges with my bank but i may not get it back considering i was patiently waiting.