Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Forum problem using IE 6.0 Preview 2

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Forum problem using IE 6.0 Preview 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-01, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's is quite an annoying problem while viewing these forums using IE 6.0 Preview 2. Namely, almost everything in tables appears centered. As far as I can tell this problem does not exist in 5.x versions of IE nor in IE 6 Preview 1.

If you're not convinced, I made a screenshot of the situation which is located at:
http://www.online.ee/~spiderx/dvdtalk.jpg

Now, I know this is beta software and all but I studied the essence of the problem a bit. It might have something to do with the fact that resulting HTML contains the following several times (I'm not quite sure though):

td align="left valign="middle"

Notice the missing quote mark after the word left. This problem seems to exist on every page of the forums (forum and topic selection pages as well).

I hope this helps to make this forum even better place.
Old 07-02-01, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

ahh that explains it. i thought they just changed the layout to center everything.

Old 07-02-01, 06:06 PM
Registered

I HATE when browsers become less forgiving. I think I found where the bug was and I hope that it's all fixed. Let me know if it isn't
Old 07-02-01, 06:31 PM

Yep, "problem" solved.
Old 07-02-01, 06:51 PM
Registered

Don't you mean "problem solved

Just a word of advice. Preview editions of IE are generally AWFUL, they effect the stability of your system and often can't be uninstalled!
Old 07-02-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
I HATE when browsers become less forgiving.
You mean, you HATE it when something makes you write code correctly?
Old 07-02-01, 09:03 PM
Registered

Actually it wasn't my code that I had to fix... But you're right, it's so much easier when you can take short cuts on code
Old 07-03-01, 03:12 AM

I'm sorry to say this fix didn't help much. The actual source of the problem seems to be behaviour of IE itself. But at least we found one bug since the "Profile", "Edit", "Quote" etc. icons are displayed correctly now

I tracked down what line is causing the trouble. Seems that new IE thinks that in block DIV align="center" all texts are centered as well if not specified otherwise.

Now, I'm not a native English speaker but I read the HTML 4.01 specs and it seems it could be actually interpreted that way If Microsoft thinks this is an enhancement, not a bug and keeps it in the final version something should be done about it. But as it is preview only let's keep it as it is.

I wouldn't have brought up the issue but I thought the missing quote might have had something to do with it. As you can see, I was mistaken. Sorry for bothering you.

As for stability of IE previews, I'd say they're generally more stable than IE 4.0 final was
Old 07-03-01, 06:53 AM

The problem is only with IE 6 Beta 2. It does make navigating really tough. Maybe they will fix it in the next release.