Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

The Other Bargains Forum is becoming kinda useless

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

The Other Bargains Forum is becoming kinda useless

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like a lot of the posts are of the "Recommend a University with a Strong Physics Department, Especially One That is Strong in Particle Physics" variety.

Examples:

Where can I get PDA info?

Need help selecting a lawnmower.

laptop case/carrier recs

Just because there aren't many (or really, any) bargains out there doesn't mean the Other Bargains Forum should become a Recommend a _______________ Forum. Or maybe it should.

Old 06-27-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't that what the Other forum is for?
Old 06-27-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I posted the lawnmower thread because I know that the people who participate in that forum are very value-conscious and, after all, isn't that what a bargain is? A good value? I thought about putting it in the other forum b/c i knew that it would see a lot more traffic, but I just wanted people's opinions about lawnmowers, not jokes, not pics, etc... Anyway, how does 3 threads asking for recommendations or advice from other bargain hunters make a Bargain forum useless? I may just not be seeing your logic. Please elaborate.
Old 06-27-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those all seem like reasonable posts for the Other Bargains forum. They're asking for consumer help/advice/deals, which is what goes on in that forum.
Old 06-27-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jw2299
Well, I posted the lawnmower thread because I know that the people who participate in that forum are very value-conscious and, after all, isn't that what a bargain is? A good value? I thought about putting it in the other forum b/c i knew that it would see a lot more traffic, but I just wanted people's opinions about lawnmowers, not jokes, not pics, etc...
I see where you're coming from. And obviously, since the mods haven't moved your thread, they agree with you.

Clearly, Other Bargains is a good place to ask about bargains. I just thought the threads that I pointed out above were more along the lines of seeking general opinions (rather than hot deals).

While you might have to weed (get it? weed. lawnmowers. anyway...) through the occasional off-topic post, joke, pic, etc. in the Other Forum, I still believe it's your best bet for recommendations of this type.

Is it the end of the world either way? Nope. See below.

Anyway, how does 3 threads asking for recommendations or advice from other bargain hunters make a Bargain forum useless? I may just not be seeing your logic. Please elaborate.
Of course 3 threads like that doesn't make Other Bargains useless. But I stand by the fact that letting (what I see to be) off-topic threads in Other Bargains is causing that forum to become kinda useless, which is why I named this thread as I did.

I don't think Other Bargains is more appropriate than Other when it comes to seeking and receiving advice of the type we've been talking about. I apologize if I made you feel singled out by citing your thread.

If I'm the only one that feels this way (well, me and shaun3000 ), that's fine too.

-Steve
Old 06-27-01, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve, I do agree. If the thread is asking for some sort of bargain info, for example the best price or best place to get something....even if it's also asking for or getting general advice, I think it's Other Bargains.

If it's asking for general info, it should be in Other. Unless of course it's computer, DVD, home theater, book, movie, or video games.
Old 06-27-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
agreed

Originally posted by renaldow
Those all seem like reasonable posts for the Other Bargains forum. They're asking for consumer help/advice/deals, which is what goes on in that forum.
Old 06-28-01, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by randyc
Steve, I do agree. If the thread is asking for some sort of bargain info, for example the best price or best place to get something....even if it's also asking for or getting general advice, I think it's Other Bargains.

If it's asking for general info, it should be in Other. Unless of course it's computer, DVD, home theater, book, movie, or video games.
I do see your point stevet. Well, I guess I'll post those type of questions in the otter farm from now on. I'll just have to put up with the standard Shaggy jokes that are now standard-issue.
Old 06-28-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do see your point stevet. Well, I guess I'll post those type of questions in the otter farm from now on. I'll just have to put up with the standard Shaggy jokes that are now standard-issue.
Well, there is that... Oh well.
Old 06-28-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shaggy jokes. I thought his topics were serious discussions about the plight of a lonely college student seeking love with all the wrong married women.

of course I could be wrong

actually the problems with lack of bargains are effecting both bargain forums. where people are posting threads looking for bargains or even a small savings on X * product.

Every now and then we see a real bargain in each forum. usually you find tips about upcoming ads or other ideas that will save you a little.
still worth it just not as exciting.

* Sorry in advance to our great member X who so often finds himself compared to an unknown item or number

Old 06-28-01, 10:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by gcribbs
* Sorry in advance to our great member X who so often finds himself compared to an unknown item or number
Thanks. Good thing I read to the end of your post. You spared yourself a nasty remark about the gross abuse and overuse of my name when people don't know the right word. Although "great" is going a little too far.
Old 06-28-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
. . . Although "great" is going a little too far.
Note to self: Nominate the above for understatement of the year.
Old 06-29-01, 10:30 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally think the 'other forum' is useful: I already saved some serious $$$...
Old 07-01-01, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by exm
I personally think the 'other forum' is useful: I already saved some serious $$$...
exm is probably the only person who finds the 'other forum' useful.

<font size=1>This is assuming that he/she didn't accidently leave out the word "bargains" inbetween the words "other" and "forum"</font>.
Old 07-01-01, 06:19 AM
Banned

i still rmemeber the good old days when DVD-man was still around
Old 07-02-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by X
Originally posted by gcribbs
Thanks. Good thing I read to the end of your post. You spared yourself a nasty remark about the gross abuse and overuse of my name when people don't know the right word. Although "great" is going a little too far.
you are welcome

great was due to your tireless help for those of us asking questions on the PC hardware forum.

and for the easiest name to remember and type online