DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-23-17, 01:27 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Chad

Print Wikipost

Old 09-07-17, 05:53 PM   #126

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Last year's challenge came at a bad time for me, it was the worst of my depression and not even horror films were helping. I ended up giving up and didn't watch another film for nearly 2 months (after getting on meds). Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again

iCM Profile | IMDb Vote History | LastFM | They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?
Old 09-08-17, 10:55 PM   #127

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5. The Twin Peaks revival made me realize how undervalued Kyle MacLachlan is as an actor. Also, some elements seem weirdly resonant in America's current political climate.
Old 09-08-17, 11:51 PM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5. The Twin Peaks revival made me realize how undervalued Kyle MacLachlan is as an actor. Also, some elements seem weirdly resonant in America's current political climate.
The Universal Monster movies. And maybe Friday the 13th series.
Old 09-09-17, 01:01 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightysparks View Post
Last year's challenge came at a bad time for me, it was the worst of my depression and not even horror films were helping. I ended up giving up and didn't watch another film for nearly 2 months (after getting on meds). Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again
I really hope you have a good marathon this year. Wouldn't mind seeing another compilation vid from you as well Oh and I still need to complete the TSZDT list!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
The Universal Monster movies.
Same. I already mentioned in the HD forum that I don't have these on Blu yet and I'm going to Best Buy next week to see if they'll have the Alex Ross Steelbooks.
Old 09-09-17, 01:51 AM   #130

Quote:
Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5.
I have a few that I watch every year. Trick 'r Treat and the original Halloween and The Fog, absolutely. Plus some others that rotate every few years, depending on the mood. I have so many movies on my list for next month that I had to restrain myself from some annual viewings. I get attached.

Always been a fan of The Hidden (and Kyle MacLachlan). Saw it in its original theatrical release and revisit it every several years or so. Should really add it to the collection...

Quote:
The Universal Monster movies. And maybe Friday the 13th series.
I'm also planning to rewatch the Friday the 13th film series next month. It's only been 3 years since the last time I went through the set, but I was toying with the idea already when I realized we're having a Friday the 13th next month. Sealed the deal.

Quote:
Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again
Numbers don't matter a bit. Enjoying yourself and some good (or even bad) films is all that matters here. I really hope you enjoy yourself! Everyone else, too!
August Animation Challenges: 2017 2013 2012 2011
October Horror Movie Challenges: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
Old 09-09-17, 07:34 AM   #131
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad that I have Direct TV Now, and PlayStation Vue. Some time last year, Chiller was taken off of Dish. But with those two streaming services, I still get Chiller.
Old 09-09-17, 08:29 AM   #132
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

All this talk of Rue Morgue has destroyed my former restraint, and PayPal balance. I'm a lifelong fan of magazines, and always knew that I'd love horror magazines, but have pretty much avoided them to prevent what is now happening. Three days ago I owned exactly one issue of Rue Morgue, a Horror Block trial from last year. Now, thanks to ebay, I have about 25 more on the way. Safe money is on me not only subscribing, but tracking down every back issue. Anyone have any to sell?
Old 09-09-17, 10:01 AM   #133
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
All this talk of Rue Morgue has destroyed my former restraint, and PayPal balance. I'm a lifelong fan of magazines, and always knew that I'd love horror magazines, but have pretty much avoided them to prevent what is now happening. Three days ago I owned exactly one issue of Rue Morgue, a Horror Block trial from last year. Now, thanks to ebay, I have about 25 more on the way. Safe money is on me not only subscribing, but tracking down every back issue. Anyone have any to sell?
I never had any Rue Morgue magazines, but I still remember how happy I was when I found a giant lot of old Fangoria magazines on EBay for about $30. I need to get more, as over time, they've gone missing.
Old 09-09-17, 10:36 AM   #134

Quote:
Last year was the same for me, for different reasons. I had gone back to work and my marriage was imploding. I'll be missing some time this challenge to finalize my divorce at the end of October. And I'll obviously still have work. Plus 4 kids without help. But I'm back on meds, but at a dose that's too low and pretty much ineffective.

Anyway, my point, I totally had one, I swear, is that this challenge is something I get super excited about. One of the very few things, honestly, with all the other crap going on. I'll probably watch less than my tiny amount last year, but who knows, maybe I'll find a huge amount of time and insomnia and hit 200. Doesn't really matter because as long as I get to participate at all, I'm happy.
Horror 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 | Comedy 2013, 2014 | Holiday 2014, 2015, 2016 | TV on DVD 2014, 2015, 2016 | Academy Award 2014 | Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery 2014, 2015, 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2014, 2015, 2016 | Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Flickchart | Twitter
Old 09-09-17, 12:34 PM   #135
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBreakdown View Post
Last year was the same for me, for different reasons. I had gone back to work and my marriage was imploding. I'll be missing some time this challenge to finalize my divorce at the end of October. And I'll obviously still have work. Plus 4 kids without help. But I'm back on meds, but at a dose that's too low and pretty much ineffective.

Anyway, my point, I totally had one, I swear, is that this challenge is something I get super excited about. One of the very few things, honestly, with all the other crap going on. I'll probably watch less than my tiny amount last year, but who knows, maybe I'll find a huge amount of time and insomnia and hit 200. Doesn't really matter because as long as I get to participate at all, I'm happy.
Truly sorry for these problems, and can somewhat sympathize. The beginning of the school year seems to be toughest on my daughter's behavioral issues, and I've taken to drowning myself in this Challenge to sort of escape that reality.

The camaraderie in these threads and beautiful lists always inspire me and pick up my mood. Not so much the last few years, but in the past and in other Challenges I always feel like I'm participating if I'm checking on the threads, even if I only watch a few items a month.
Old 09-09-17, 04:37 PM   #136
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If nothing else this horror movie challenge shows me that no matter what you do, be it watch tons of horror movies or one of life's harsher lessons, you do not have to go it alone. I've found that when I have hardships it helps to have someone to get help from - there are lots of professionals and support groups so take advantage of whatever resources are in your area. This is over simplifying problems, I know, but don't wait till things get their worst - be proactive.

I enjoy the distraction of the challenge and have been trying to pile together some of the most blunt in your face horror schlock to start with, trying to decide on some winners for early on.
Old 09-09-17, 04:55 PM   #137
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a Challenge where friends are always there for you. Mightysparks and PC Breakdown, you are never alone.

For those that watch Svengoolie for the Challenge, just a heads up that it has changed its time slot. It now airs at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. I hope he still airs horror movies, because tonight is a Son Of Hercules movie. Though I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Old 09-09-17, 05:36 PM   #138
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think many of us use the challenge as an escape or distraction. This year will likely be the last challenge with my dog who has been with me through all of them. His will is still there, but he's outlasting his body. It's tough - mentally and physically. Supporting the weight of a German shepherd can be exhausting. Lots of quality of life issues starting to creep into my mind. I won't be able to escape those issues during the challenge, but I can have something to partially occupy my mind. It's amazing how attached you get, especially after 13 years.
Old 09-09-17, 05:40 PM   #139
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
This is a Challenge where friends are always there for you. Mightysparks and PC Breakdown, you are never alone.
Exactly. The saw is family.
Old 09-09-17, 08:05 PM   #140

Couldn't hold out till Oct., had to watch the new IT and the whole family absolutely loved it.
Old 09-10-17, 11:13 AM   #141

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBreakdown View Post

We just lost a very close friend a few weeks ago to their depression. I hope the best for y'all, as it's not easy to work through at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Couldn't hold out till Oct., had to watch the new IT and the whole family absolutely loved it.
We just came back from the mountains and the tiny little town had a one screen movie house and IT had just opened. There was a pretty large line of people waiting to buy tickets, and I'm assuming most were fleeing the Florida storm. Every inn was completely booked with Floridians, and this is the mountains of NC.
Old 09-10-17, 01:00 PM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
I am hoping to see it October 1st during a matinee if it is still playing.
Old 09-10-17, 11:38 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I am hoping to see it October 1st during a matinee if it is still playing.
I couldn't wait... had to go see it tonight! It was good. Wish I could talk about it, but not enough have seen it yet and I wouldn't want to spoil it. I'll just say that it is nice to see a movie that doesn't hold back in order to get a PG13 rating.
Old 09-11-17, 01:39 PM   #144
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares but I like the October Vinegar Syndrome package https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/october-2017-package/
Old 09-11-17, 01:42 PM   #145

I'm looking forward to Demon Wind. I watched Blood Beat last year and it's... something...
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
We just lost a very close friend a few weeks ago to their depression. I hope the best for y'all, as it's not easy to work through at times.
As someone who was once hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I can speak from personal experience that seeing a professional really helps. I'm now on a bimonthly appointment schedule to see a therapist, and while I still have my down days, I am doing a lot better.
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM   #147
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
I couldn't wait... had to go see it tonight! It was good. Wish I could talk about it, but not enough have seen it yet and I wouldn't want to spoil it. I'll just say that it is nice to see a movie that doesn't hold back in order to get a PG13 rating.
I hope IT inspires a revival of serious, R-rated horror movies.
Old 09-11-17, 02:54 PM   #148
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is a sale on the Best Buy website, buy 2 select UHD titles for $35, that I bit on. Some of the included titles are Get Out, Split and the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies (along with other non-horror titles like ET).

I thought some of you might be interested. I know this is a time many of us stock up.

I picked up Get Out and Split and threw in the UHD for Cabin in the Woods, which wasn't part of the sale but was only $16.99.
Old 09-11-17, 03:26 PM   #149
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Am I the only one who does more re-watching than new watching anyway?

I guess I'm a little boring, a good year for me is 50/50 old/new on 31 movies. I have to hit the best of the Hammer library (and I have a high tolerance for even the bad ones), catch The Omen and the first three Friday the 13ths, there's a few other pre-requisites as well.

(I do have that new Paul Naschy set, so at least I'll get two new movies out of that. )
Old 09-11-17, 04:00 PM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I need a little refresher.

30 min tv show= 1/4 entry
60 min tv show= 1/2 entry

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes are required viewing for me in October. Also I hope to catch up with The Walking Dead, I haven't seen any episodes past season 3.