Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

A new Japanese animated feature opened theatrically in New York and I went to see it on Friday. IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD follows Suzu, a young girl in western Japan from 1933-1946 as she goes to school, draws pictures of everything she sees and eventually is sent from Hiroshima to neighboring Kure to marry a boy in an arranged marriage and keep house for his family. The war is always in the background although rarely commented on directly. The port of Kure is used to dock various Navy ships, including the notorious battleship Yamato, and the characters often look out over the harbor and comment on the ships and Suzu even draws pix of them. Because of all this, the town becomes a frequent target of bombing raids and Suzu and her family endure it all stoically. Eventually, the date of August 6, 1945 arrives and Hiroshima goes up in an atomic blast, witnessed by the characters in Kure. We then see a few scenes of the aftermath.

It's an honest portrait of life in wartime Japan, although it lacks the emotional punch of such similar animated films as GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, BAREFOOT GEN and KAYOKO'S DIARY. Suzu is somewhat dimwitted and she sees the world as something to draw. Even when the bombs are hitting and the skies are filled with flak, she sees it all as pieces of art until her father-in-law slams her to the ground to cover her. There are some abstract sequences designed to convey tragic occurrences.

It's a very unusual film and I found it consistently engaging, although I would like to have seen some critique of Japan's complicity in its own destruction and the way it brainwashed its citizens into a "to the last man" mindset, something referenced in the film, but not in a way that condemns it. If they'd all died fighting, as the Japanese military government seemed to want, we wouldn't have films like this or MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. We wouldn't have Godzilla, anime, manga, J-pop, Ultraman, Samurai films, Power Rangers, etc., etc., etc. What kind of world would that have left us?
Old 08-14-17, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

By watching the last episode of Season One of Dogfights, I just finished my first complete season of a show this Challenge. It was an interesting episode about the sinking of the German battleship, Bismarck. That episode showed that instead of battleships, airpower was the future of warfare.
Old 08-14-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

We had a great time at Blanchard Springs/Mountain View Saturday! It was a great day for a pic-i-nic and no bears accosted us! We also did some go-kart racing - it must have been a sight with the 6 year old sitting in my lap, spread eagle so we could steer, zipping 'round the track! I didn't cut 'em any slack and we were flying and sliding around corners! She was going to try it alone but couldn't quite reach the peddles so it was a ride-along affair. We totally pigged out on taffy on the ride home (a bit over 2 hours), eating most of the 2.17 pounds we'd purchased.

And I was mistaken! It was the 10 year old who referenced Yogi Bear, not the 6 year old. While driving over she mentioned Yogi Bear getting our pic-i-nic basket and her little sister asked "Who's that?" so she looked up a video on her phone for her sister to watch. She liked it and wanted to see more.

We took care of that after school and work today. We watched 5 episodes of The Huckleberry Hound Show and she loved every segment! Coincidentally... our favorite taffy flavor was Huckleberry (between the 4 of us we got 15 or so flavors)! Of course, we didn't get as much of that one as others since we'd not had that flavor before so weren't sure if it'd be any good. And I saw the licorice taffy in a totally separate "Licorice Lovers" section after we checked out! I love licorice and would have likely purchased far too much had I seen it sooner but we'd spent more than I planned so it had to wait until next time.

They're all ready to go back. The older 2 want to go on the "Wild Cave Tour" (you have to be 10 or older so the little one is out) where they provide you with a guide, coveralls, knee pads, gloves, and a hard hat with lamp for a 5 hour trip into the undeveloped middle area of the caverns. I think that one sounds pretty neat myself! It'll take some planning as it also requires lace up, over-the-ankle, hiking boots (you provide yourself along with snacks and water) and is $75 per person. By way of comparison, the other tours through well lit areas on concrete walkways, are $5-$10 per person.
Old 08-14-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

A new Japanese animated feature opened theatrically in New York and I went to see it on Friday. IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD follows Suzu, a young girl in western Japan from 1933-1946 as she goes to school, draws pictures of everything she sees and eventually is sent from Hiroshima to neighboring Kure to marry a boy in an arranged marriage and keep house for his family. The war is always in the background although rarely commented on directly. The port of Kure is used to dock various Navy ships, including the notorious battleship Yamato, and the characters often look out over the harbor and comment on the ships and Suzu even draws pix of them. Because of all this, the town becomes a frequent target of bombing raids and Suzu and her family endure it all stoically. Eventually, the date of August 6, 1945 arrives and Hiroshima goes up in an atomic blast, witnessed by the characters in Kure. We then see a few scenes of the aftermath.

It's an honest portrait of life in wartime Japan, although it lacks the emotional punch of such similar animated films as GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, BAREFOOT GEN and KAYOKO'S DIARY. Suzu is somewhat dimwitted and she sees the world as something to draw. Even when the bombs are hitting and the skies are filled with flak, she sees it all as pieces of art until her father-in-law slams her to the ground to cover her. There are some abstract sequences designed to convey tragic occurrences.

It's a very unusual film and I found it consistently engaging, although I would like to have seen some critique of Japan's complicity in its own destruction and the way it brainwashed its citizens into a "to the last man" mindset, something referenced in the film, but not in a way that condemns it. If they'd all died fighting, as the Japanese military government seemed to want, we wouldn't have films like this or MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. We wouldn't have Godzilla, anime, manga, J-pop, Ultraman, Samurai films, Power Rangers, etc., etc., etc. What kind of world would that have left us?
Thanks! I noticed this in my local multiplex's schedule for Friday and was wondering what it was.
Old 08-14-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

orlmac: Check your private messages-have a bit of surprise/help for you!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
We had a great time at Blanchard Springs/Mountain View Saturday!
Sounds like you had a great day!
Old 08-15-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I just ordered Grendel Grendel Grendel (1981), since it's shipping from New Zealand, I have my doubts about it arriving before the end of the challenge, though it could arrive as early as the 29th.

It's an adaption of John Gardner's "Grendel", by Australian director Alex Stitt. I'm reasonably sure I've never heard of it, though it's possible I have simply forgotten about it because I never had an opportunity to watch it. Well, that problem is solved.
Old 08-15-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Due to a death in the family, all the wind has gone out of my sails for working on the Challenge. My uncle recently passed away.
Old 08-15-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Animation may help me out of my funk after losing my uncle. Later today, I'm going to try watching something for the Challenge. I do have a lot to choose from. I'm sure I'll find something that will help.
Old 08-15-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Due to a death in the family, all the wind has gone out of my sails for working on the Challenge. My uncle recently passed away.
So sorry to hear that, shadokitty. My sympathies to you and your family.
Old 08-15-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A friend posted this on their FB feed this morning and I thought I'd share.

It's a 10 minute video of Jim Henson and Kermit being interviewed by Johnny Carson. At the end of the interview is a short skit with Kermit and another muppet. It was a fun watch!
Old 08-15-17, 07:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ LJG, I'll watch it if you tell me I can count it.

^^^ Shado, sorry to hear about your uncle. Do you have any special memories or stories you'd like to share?
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
You can count it! It has enough puppetry that it'll count. I also think we might want to add Jim Henson to the checklist since puppetry counts for animation.
Old 08-15-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor

^^^ Shado, sorry to hear about your uncle. Do you have any special memories or stories you'd like to share?
I do have a special memory. When I was 7, I was at my grandparents farm, where he lived. I rode on my first horse, thanks to him. He held the reins and led the horse around the pasture with me riding.
Old 08-16-17, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While browsing Netflix tonight, I discovered a new dinosaur documentary series, called Dino Hunt. When I saw it under new additions, I jumped at it. I found it to be a very interesting show that deals with paleontologists in Canada, hunting for the mysteries of the dinosaurs.
Old 08-16-17, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got insomnia tonight, likely from sleeping too much yesterday, so I though I'd watch a movie. I decided on Puppet Master II, since I bought a 9 movie set of 1-9 at Wal-Mart a week or so ago. I've always enjoyed the series of movies, and with the puppets being animatronic, they also count for the Challenge.
Old 08-16-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The first episode of Disney's new Duck Tales show is FREE on Amazon Video:

https://www.amazon.com/Woo-oo/dp/B074R6Z8Z5

It's also free at Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/tv/sho...bcpKs6byGy2Whg
Old 08-16-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for sharing, I've been wanting to check it out and this will give me that chance. Think the cartoon starts airing next month? Is that right, does anyone know?

Sorry this took so long to get out to guys, but I wanted to wait until everything was confirmed, but here are the prize packs! Had to do a little shuffling as a couple weren't available anymore, but I think these look pretty good!

Just as a reminder: Names will be randomly selected from http://www.random.org/lists/ The top people, one prize per person, get something. Unfortunately, prizes can only go to people who live in the States.

Sponsors: GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!

Prize Pack 1:
1. Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Tales: Vintage Tales from Disney's Most Popular Animated Short Films
2. Futurama: Beast with a Million Backs

Prize Pack 2:
1. Jim Henson's Tale of Sand: The Illustrated Screenplay
2. 9/Coraline BR
3. ParaNorman 3-D BR

Prize Pack 3:
1. Cracking Animation, 4th Ed. Revised: The Aardman Book of 3-D Animation
2. Fireball XL5: The Complete Series
Old 08-16-17, 05:51 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear that shadokitty. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts! Knowing your interest in documentaries I suggest you watch The Sinking of the Luistania on The Silent Film Channel on Roku in a few days. I believe it is the first animated documentary made but I could be wrong (it's from 1918). It won't make you smile but I thought it may still be interesting to you. If you don't have Roku (my memory is rather poor but I thought you had it) it probably will be on YouTube.
Old 08-16-17, 06:45 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched Trolls and it was like Tim Burton, Dr. Seuss and Peyo all threw up in the same bucket and out popped the movie Trolls.
Old 08-16-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the prize packs, LJG and Golden Wheels!
Old 08-16-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'm very sorry to hear that shadokitty. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts! Knowing your interest in documentaries I suggest you watch The Sinking of the Luistania on The Silent Film Channel on Roku in a few days. I believe it is the first animated documentary made but I could be wrong (it's from 1918). It won't make you smile but I thought it may still be interesting to you. If you don't have Roku (my memory is rather poor but I thought you had it) it probably will be on YouTube.
Thanks for the tip Orlmac. I'll look it up.

Great looking prizes. A big thanks to the generosity of Goldenwheels.

As for Ducktales, I think it has already started. I haven't seen it yet, because the animation style is so different than the series I remember.
Old 08-16-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like DuckTales starts officially on Sept. 23rd. After watching the pilot, pretty sure I'm going to skip it. It's really hard for me to get used to the different voices. They're better after getting used to them over the 44 minutes or so, but still just aren't ringing true to me, especially Launchpad and Huey, Louie and Dewey.

Maybe a bit of spoilers:
Spoiler:
I do appreciate that they made Mrs. Beakley a stronger character in this version. She's a lot firmer and knows stuff is going on, not dopey, out of it like she often was in the original. Webby is a bit annoying but I like that she's into the adventure fully as much as the nephews. She's not a doll playing girl in this one, more likely to get into trouble, though she's more practical than the nephews.
Old 08-16-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Looks like DuckTales starts officially on Sept. 23rd. After watching the pilot, pretty sure I'm going to skip it. It's really hard for me to get used to the different voices. They're better after getting used to them over the 44 minutes or so, but still just aren't ringing true to me, especially Launchpad and Huey, Louie and Dewey.
I watched the pilot and absolutely adored it! I thought they did a pretty good job reinventing the characters, especially giving some layers to Scrooge's character - sure he still wants the treasure, but he also yearns for adventure! I agree that Launchpad's voice is going to take some time to get use to. However, he's not my favorite character, so I'm a bit lenient about that! Also, I loved the animation style. It's not as stripped down as Disney XD shows can be and retains a lot of the detail of the old comics.

The show reminded me of how sad I was last year when Alan Young died. Through reruns of Mister Ed and his voice work as Scrooge and on the Christian radio program Adventures in Odyssey, he was a fixture of my childhood.

Nostalgia note: Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck are my favorite Disney characters. For years one of my prized possessions was a Donald Duck t-shirt which got destroyed in a bungled bit of parenting that resulted in a new Donald Duck t-shirt! I also remember that the barber we went to had a large omnibus of Donald cartoons that I got lost in every time I got my hair cut. As a kid, I was one to stifle and repress emotions so to see Donald indulge in angry shouting was cathartic!
Old 08-16-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Animation may help me out of my funk after losing my uncle. Later today, I'm going to try watching something for the Challenge. I do have a lot to choose from. I'm sure I'll find something that will help.
I'm so sorry about your lose. I'm glad that some media has the power to both escape and deal with our emotions and trying times. I hope you found some solace.
Old 08-16-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I watched the pilot and absolutely adored it! I thought they did a pretty good job reinventing the characters, especially giving some layers to Scrooge's character - sure he still wants the treasure, but he also yearns for adventure! I agree that Launchpad's voice is going to take some time to get use to. However, he's not my favorite character, so I'm a bit lenient about that! Also, I loved the animation style. It's not as stripped down as Disney XD shows can be and retains a lot of the detail of the old comics.
It did grow on me more by the end. You're right, Scrooge is yearning for a bit of adventure and not just gold and that does add a lot to the story line. I wasn't sure if I'd like the animation style but it's watchable. I still appreciate the original style with the super bright colors more though. I did think Donald had some more layers in this new one as well, an uncle who just wants to protect his nephews.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.