DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Yeah, that fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip.
Yay! Glad that helped. Simple solution but for a very frustrating problem...

Finished Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Not my favorite of the series. One more to go to catch up. Hopefully it's a bit better since Shia LaBeouf won't be in it!
Old 07-05-17, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Yay! Glad that helped. Simple solution but for a very frustrating problem...

Finished Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Not my favorite of the series. One more to go to catch up. Hopefully it's a bit better since Shia LaBeouf won't be in it!
I saw TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON in IMAX 3-D and it was the best 3-D experience I've had in the modern era (21st century). Everything worked for me, esp. those giant robot battles. And most of my 3-D experiences in theaters this century have been awful. (Yes, AVATAR and PACIFIC RIM, I'm talking to you!) But what really sold me on the film was the humor. You had three Coen Bros. actors given a chance to be funny and they ran with it: Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, John Turturro. I loved the cultural and historical references, too, including the "Star Trek" clip and the cameo by "moonwalker" Buzz Aldrin. I liked Shia LaBeouf because he was not only funny, but he knew how to concentrate his gaze on things that weren't there when he was filming, a key requirement for successfully acting in special effects films.

That said, I haven't seen the film since. I have it on Blu-ray and should try to watch it for this challenge to see if it holds up.
Old 07-05-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

We had the grandkids yesterday so after a few obligatory Sabrina, The Teenage Witch episodes I put in Justice League: War (2014) and Justice League: Doom (2012), a couple of blind-buy Black Friday purchases. My grandson and I enjoyed them, the girls, not so much.

After everyone left last night I watched Kiss Me Deadly (1955), a crime/mystery/noir film adapted from a novel by Mickey Spillane. I think someone here mentioned it a couple of years ago which caused me to purchase a copy. It's one odd entry into SF. The SF connection doesn't show up until the last 10-15 minutes or so but when it does it totally changes the feel of the film. If you enjoy its main genres you should give it a viewing. I have the original, non-anamorphic, DVD release but enjoyed it enough that I'm considering an upgrade to the Criterion BR. It doesn't carry a SF tag anywhere but is commonly listed as being one on many sites. I may wild-card it but don't know for sure.
Old 07-05-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was surprised to find out how many of my co-workers never heard of Michael Jackson's Captain EO. I remember it being a big deal, especially since Francis Ford Coppola (director), George Lucas (executive producer), and James Horner (music) were involved.

Since I just watched it again, through the power of YouTube, how does that fall in the challenge?
Old 07-05-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I saw TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON in IMAX 3-D and it was the best 3-D experience I've had in the modern era (21st century). Everything worked for me, esp. those giant robot battles. And most of my 3-D experiences in theaters this century have been awful. (Yes, AVATAR and PACIFIC RIM, I'm talking to you!) But what really sold me on the film was the humor. You had three Coen Bros. actors given a chance to be funny and they ran with it: Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, John Turturro. I loved the cultural and historical references, too, including the "Star Trek" clip and the cameo by "moonwalker" Buzz Aldrin. I liked Shia LaBeouf because he was not only funny, but he knew how to concentrate his gaze on things that weren't there when he was filming, a key requirement for successfully acting in special effects films.

That said, I haven't seen the film since. I have it on Blu-ray and should try to watch it for this challenge to see if it holds up.
You did mention the parts of the movie I did like. Bay makes a darn pretty movie. the robots fighting all look great. Frances McDormand is great in this-you don't really think of her as a sci-fi actor (at least I don't), but she fit in well. LaBeouf, on the other hand, well...he has not grown on me. I hated his flailing around through most of the movie and I'm also not impressed with how Bay treats most of his woman actresses in these movies. McDormand was the first woman with a role that wasn't flighty/crazy (Sam's mom) or there for sex appeal (Fox and Huntington-Whiteley) in the 3 Transformer films he's made. Is it that hard to have a female character that isn't there just to wear short shorts? Maybe if he had a male character that was there just to be walking around half naked I wouldn't feel like this, but by movie three, I was getting annoyed.

Originally Posted by popcorn
Was surprised to find out how many of my co-workers never heard of Michael Jackson's Captain EO. I remember it being a big deal, especially since Francis Ford Coppola (director), George Lucas (executive producer), and James Horner (music) were involved.

Since I just watched it again, through the power of YouTube, how does that fall in the challenge?
IMDb.com has it listed with sci-fi as a genre, so it'll count. I remember very vaguely seeing this as a kid at Disney. I don't remember much other than enjoying it, so I wonder if it's held up...hmm, may have to go watch this myself!
Old 07-05-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Transformers: Age of Extinction tonight. I liked it a lot more than Dark of the Moon. I think it's because Cade's character is more of an equal to Optimus Prime. He's more of a fleshed out person rather than a caricature like Sam was, especially in DotM.

I do have one question/complaint. This is very obviously a direct sequel to DotM, yet they don't mention Sam at all. Where is he? They mention disbanding the armed forces working with the Autobots, so that explains why they are missing in this show, but nothing is said about Witwicky.
Old 07-06-17, 12:32 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know if I'm too late with suggestions but if I'm not here's three:\

The Earth Dies Screaming Blu-Ray (Terence Fisher)
The Neptune Factor Blu-Ray (Underwater movie)
The Magnetic Monster Blu-Ray

Sorry, no book suggestions.
Old 07-06-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I felt like watching a documentary this morning, so looked on History Channel On Demand, since there are a lot of UFO and monster documentaries on there. After browsing, I decided on the first episode of In Search Of Aliens, which was an interesting episode, dealing with the hunt for Atlantis.
Old 07-06-17, 08:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Here are a few hardcover books that would make interesting prizes:

The Fifty Year Mission
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-fif...rst-25-years_4
Star Trek: Ships of the Line
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/star-tr...-of-the-line_4
Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/star-wa...-of-the-galaxy
Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/science...-movie-posters

Last edited by Trevor; 07-06-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night I watched my new BR of The Angry Red Planet (1959). It now looks splendid and was a very good upgrade! My 13 year old grandson even liked the film proclaiming it cheesy fun! Who'd have thought that could happen?!
Old 07-06-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Last night I watched my new BR of The Angry Red Planet (1959). It now looks splendid and was a very good upgrade!
You mean it doesn't have that awful red tint that ruined my DVD copy of it?

You mean it's been restored to its proper color? Like this?:
Old 07-06-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean it doesn't have that awful red tint that ruined my DVD copy of it?

Red tint is still there but looks like it's supposed to be there now.
You mean it's been restored to its proper color? Like this?:
Yes, color like that. Plus it's in the correct AR.

I really hated paying what I did ($14.12 after tax) for a film that old which was very cheaply produced, but I looked at my old MGM MM disc and decided I liked the film well enough to suck it up and go for it. I'm glad I did.
Old 07-06-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by LJG765
Have you thought about getting a scanner? I bought a cheap cue cat one several years ago off ebay and it works great. (looks like they are still 6-10 bucks) Plug and scan. If I remember correctly, you could set it up to scan into a spreadsheet as well as cataloging software (I use it for Book Collector (collectorz.com) as well).
The collector software lets you use a webcam instead of a scanner. If you have the app, it uses the phone/tablet's camera. At least the movie version does.

I've never actually tried using it, I just type stuff in.
Old 07-06-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

After everyone left last night I watched Kiss Me Deadly (1955), a crime/mystery/noir film adapted from a novel by Mickey Spillane. I think someone here mentioned it a couple of years ago which caused me to purchase a copy. It's one odd entry into SF. The SF connection doesn't show up until the last 10-15 minutes or so but when it does it totally changes the feel of the film. If you enjoy its main genres you should give it a viewing. I have the original, non-anamorphic, DVD release but enjoyed it enough that I'm considering an upgrade to the Criterion BR. It doesn't carry a SF tag anywhere but is commonly listed as being one on many sites. I may wild-card it but don't know for sure.
Have you seen Panic in the Streets starring Jack Palance? I highly recommend it if you haven't.
Old 07-06-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Have you seen Panic in the Streets starring Jack Palance? I highly recommend it if you haven't.
No, I haven't. It looks interesting. I saw, via IMDB, that it's available on Amazon for Prime streaming so I click the link only for it to be an expired video! The #1 reason I will not subscribe to streaming services, stuff is dropped with little warning and you can't count on anything being there when you want it. but I may purchase a copy - the original DVD release is rather inexpensive and will suffice for a viewing or two. Considering when it was made there's no danger of the AR being wrong as it's 4:3 (it's a Fox release, one of those studios who frequently don't release WS films in the correct AR).
Old 07-06-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I haven't. It looks interesting. I saw, via IMDB, that it's available on Amazon for Prime streaming so I click the link only for it to be an expired video! The #1 reason I will not subscribe to streaming services, stuff is dropped with little warning and you can't count on anything being there when you want it. but I may purchase a copy - the original DVD release is rather inexpensive and will suffice for a viewing or two. Considering when it was made there's no danger of the AR being wrong as it's 4:3 (it's a Fox release, one of those studios who frequently don't release WS films in the correct AR).
PANIC IN THE STREETS is an excellent "public health" thriller. All shot on location in New Orleans. (Kazan's next film, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, was set in N.O., but not shot there.) When I did a centennial tribute to Richard Widmark on my blog, this was one of the films I gave special attention to. Plus, it's got Jack Palance and Zero Mostel!
Old 07-06-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see BBC America is doing a Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon, and I was watching one of my favorite episodes right now, 'Yesterday's Enterprise'. That episode featured not only the return of Tasha Yar, but also led to Sela coming into the show in later seasons.
Old 07-06-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orlmac
I don't know if I'm too late with suggestions but if I'm not here's three:\

The Earth Dies Screaming Blu-Ray (Terence Fisher)
The Neptune Factor Blu-Ray (Underwater movie)
The Magnetic Monster Blu-Ray

Sorry, no book suggestions.
No worries, thanks for the suggestions! You and Trevor both squeaked in under the wire. I plan on posting the prizes in just a bit.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Here are a few hardcover books that would make interesting prizes:

The Fifty Year Mission
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-fif...rst-25-years_4
Star Trek: Ships of the Line
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/star-tr...-of-the-line_4
Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/star-wa...-of-the-galaxy
Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/science...-movie-posters
Thanks!

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
The collector software lets you use a webcam instead of a scanner. If you have the app, it uses the phone/tablet's camera. At least the movie version does.

I've never actually tried using it, I just type stuff in.
I see BBC America is doing a Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon, and I was watching one of my favorite episodes right now, 'Yesterday's Enterprise'. That episode featured not only the return of Tasha Yar, but also led to Sela coming into the show in later seasons.
Fun show! BBCA has it on frequently if you want to catch it more often.
Old 07-06-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, picked 2 of the 3 prize packages for the challenge. Need a little help with prize package 3. Please go vote here!
Old 07-07-17, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early this morning, so decided to break open my Blu Ray set of Buck Rogers In The 25th Century. I just finished the pilot movie, 'Awakening', and was quite impressed. I hadn't seen the show on a regular basis since I was a kid, so didn't know how it would hold up. I thought the show held up quite well. I had even forgotten that Twikky was voiced by Mel Blanc.
Old 07-07-17, 09:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I woke up early this morning, so decided to break open my Blu Ray set of Buck Rogers In The 25th Century. I just finished the pilot movie, 'Awakening', and was quite impressed. I hadn't seen the show on a regular basis since I was a kid, so didn't know how it would hold up. I thought the show held up quite well. I had even forgotten that Twikky was voiced by Mel Blanc.
I remember really liking the 2nd season as a kid. Hawk was my fave character.
Old 07-07-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I was watching the fourth Quatermass II episode yesterday, when who shows up in a small yet meaty role, but Roger Delgado.
Old 07-07-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked that one up on DVD a couple of years back when the SS disc sets came out. As during the original run, I enjoyed the series but disliked the Twikky character. I likened him to "Boxy" on the original BSG. I stopped watching both during those original airings due to those characters. I don't find them quite as annoying now as then but I can still do without them.
Old 07-07-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't really need an excuse to listen to Coast To Coast AM, as ever since I became a Coast Insider, I listen to it on a regular basis anyways. However, I do enjoy the fact that this is the one month of the year that I can listen and have it count for a Challenge.
Old 07-07-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like a lot of people have voted over here but just wanted to remind people that it is still open until Sunday night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.