DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by orlmac
OK, this is the first of what I hope are just a few questions about where movies fit. I would think that Edward Scissorhands fits in the Urban Fantasy catageory. Is this correct?
Mmm, close, but not quite. I more think of urban fantasy like "Beauty and the Beast" the TV show, or "The Dresden Files" or "Teen Wolf."

Here's the Wikipedia link to the definition: think more of it as fantasy that takes place in a city or town. I would classify "Edward Scissorhands" more as a suburban fantasy...It's in a neighborhood, but not really a town or city.

Does this help a bit more?

Edited to add: I added another link to another website with definitions of types of fantasy to the check list.

Last edited by LJG765; 06-23-17 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Mmm, close, but not quite. I more think of urban fantasy like "Beauty and the Beast" the TV show, or "The Dresden Files" or "Teen Wolf."

Here's the Wikipedia link to the definition: think more of it as fantasy that takes place in a city or town. I would classify "Edward Scissorhands" more as a suburban fantasy...It's in a neighborhood, but not really a town or city.

Does this help a bit more?

Edited to add: I added another link to another website with definitions of types of fantasy to the check list.
Fairy tale. Edward Scissorhands is a fairy tale.
Old 06-23-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For anyone interested in seeing it next month, Kong: Skull Island is now available to buy digitally, and perhaps on DVD and Blu Ray as well. I just saw a big splash screen on the Xbox Store.
Yep, it's available digitally, but not on BD/DVD till mid-July (when it will still be eligible for the challenge ). Big titles often come out on digital first, but whether it's one week early or several tends to vary widely. I'm sure the studio, box office, and projected media sales all play a part.
Old 06-23-17, 10:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

OK, I see the distinction there. I've never seen Edward Scissorhands so it would fit for a fairy tale (without explanation, please)?
Old 06-23-17, 10:29 AM

OK, I see the distinction there. I've never seen Edward Scissorhands so it would fit for a fairy tale (without explanation, please)?
All right, I totally miswrote that. It sounds like I don't believe Coyoteblue that is is a fairy tale and that is not right. What I meant to ask is does anybody feel differently about the genre. I know from long experience that there is different opinions on things and I'm going with fairy tale unless someone sees it differently. Thanks!
Old 06-23-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All right, I totally miswrote that. It sounds like I don't believe Coyoteblue that is is a fairy tale and that is not right. What I meant to ask is does anybody feel differently about the genre. I know from long experience that there is different opinions on things and I'm going with fairy tale unless someone sees it differently. Thanks!
I think fairy tale would fit it. It's hard for me to describe but that matches the feeling of the movie quite well.
Old 06-23-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I haven't seen Edward Scissorhands in years, but I remember it
Spoiler:
having a sad ending that brought tears to my eyes when Vincent Price's character died
Old 06-23-17, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the opinions on Edward Scissorhands. I will probably watch it near the beginning of the month and then I can go back and read shadokitty's remarks also.
Old 06-23-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In case you want to get your MST3K on for a couple of days...

‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Marathon to Stream Free on Twitch
Old 06-23-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by popcorn
In case you want to get your MST3K on for a couple of days...

‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Marathon to Stream Free on Twitch
Thanks for the heads up. I've been getting kind of burnt out on history, so was considering starting some sci-fi early anyways. I just won't list anything until the challenge begins.
Old 06-24-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the opinions on Edward Scissorhands. I will probably watch it near the beginning of the month and then I can go back and read shadokitty's remarks also.
It's very Tim Burton. It'll be interesting to see how you like it.

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales this evening and enjoyed it. It's not the greatest in the series, but a fun watch. If you're on the fence, watch it.

Also, just wanted people to know that I will not have 'net access this weekend, but will be back on Monday, so if there are any questions or concerns, I haven't disappeared!
Old 06-24-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
It's very Tim Burton. It'll be interesting to see how you like it.

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales this evening and enjoyed it. It's not the greatest in the series, but a fun watch. If you're on the fence, watch it.

Also, just wanted people to know that I will not have 'net access this weekend, but will be back on Monday, so if there are any questions or concerns, I haven't disappeared!
I'm way behind on PoTC. I've only seen the first 3.
Old 06-24-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm way behind on PoTC. I've only seen the first 3.
You can totally skip 4 and watch this one. This one is a stand alone. It references a few things from the first three movies, but pretty much ignores 4.
Old 06-25-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm hoping to participate more than I have in the last couple of months - life has been very hectic as of late. However, I'm moving in July and my sister is moving and there is a whole bunch of stuff going on! I've been rewatching episodes of Star Trek: TOS and TNG while I eat dinner so I know I'll at least get a few entries in with my routine!
Old 06-25-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe the beginning of the Challenge is less than a week away. I am counting down the days. I sit out a lot and watch TV on my tablet, and have been watching some sci-fi shows already, like Alaska Monsters, on Destination America GO.
Old 06-25-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm an impatient soul so I started Space: Above and Beyond today.
Old 06-25-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I'm an impatient soul so I started Space: Above and Beyond today.
I'm finding it hard not to open my Buck Rogers In The 25th Century set.
Old 06-26-17, 01:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Since there are so many superhero movies out there can w make that a checklist item?
Old 06-26-17, 05:39 PM

Shellebelle, I think it already is (I'm using Spider-Man: Homecoming at the theater for it)!
Old 06-26-17, 06:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh ok orlmac. I wasn't sure if it was there or not.

There are a lot of movies with dinosaurs too so maybe a checklist for that? I know we have giant critters or something like that,so this would be more specific?
Old 06-26-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm back! Had a good weekend, didn't even go in withdrawal with no internet access, so I feel that was a win.

Hope everyone is looking forward to the challenge, hard to believe that it is only 3 days away! I plan on getting the list thread up tomorrow sometime for those wanting to work on that.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm hoping to participate more than I have in the last couple of months - life has been very hectic as of late. However, I'm moving in July and my sister is moving and there is a whole bunch of stuff going on! I've been rewatching episodes of Star Trek: TOS and TNG while I eat dinner so I know I'll at least get a few entries in with my routine!
Hey, every show counts! Might not be what you were hoping for, but I bet you enjoy what you get to watch!

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Since there are so many superhero movies out there can w make that a checklist item?
Originally Posted by shellebelle
There are a lot of movies with dinosaurs too so maybe a checklist for that? I know we have giant critters or something like that,so this would be more specific?
For sure there is a giant critter tag and a prehistoric one as well. The prehistoric one is generally the dino one, but I wouldn't complain if someone used it for giant critter. Giant critter is more giant moles or giant sharks--real animals made huge. While dinosaurs were real, they were naturally big so I kind of feel that dinosaur movies should be under the prehistoric check.

We don't exactly have a superhero one, but we do have a comic book one that covers superheroes, I feel.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-26-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad you had a good weekend LJG . I've been doing kind of a pre challenge today, and have watched some sci-fi movies to curb my urges before the Challenge begins.
Old 06-27-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

List thread is now up here.

Glad you had a good weekend LJG . I've been doing kind of a pre challenge today, and have watched some sci-fi movies to curb my urges before the Challenge begins.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We're almost to the start of the challenge! Time really flies sometimes.

I will be finalizing the check list tomorrow, so please let me know if you've thought of any changes you'd like to make.

Also, I wanted to thank GoldenWheels and Hamiltonbooks for providing prizes!

Looking for a bit a feedback:

I am thinking of taking a page out of a previous challenge host's books and asking you guys for help for picking out prizes. Is this something you'd like or would you rather me just pick some out?
Old 06-28-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I like the community effort/input approach to prize selection. I've been alerted to, or found, product they have that I've overlooked and would want to purchase that way too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.