Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Old 06-24-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What I love about BALLANTRAE is that it got Flynn out of Hollywood and onto Scottish soil. The Technicolor location photography in that film (Scotland, Cornwall, Sicily, etc.) is breathtaking. The plot structure is vaguely similar to that of CAPTAIN BLOOD.
Captain Blood is another top 5 Flynn favorite of mine. I don't know that I'd ever noticed the similarities between it and Ballantrae, but I've also never watched them within 12 months of each other. I may pull both out and do a back-to-back just because of your comment.
Old 06-24-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If I watched a sporting event that was at least 10 years old, would that count? I know that the WWE Network has very old PPVs in their archive, and YouTube has very old football, baseball, and racing events available to watch.
We're pretty liberal, but I don't think it's in the spirit of the challenge. Stuff like the NFL Films kind of skated in as documentaries.
Old 06-24-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
We're pretty liberal, but I don't think it's in the spirit of the challenge. Stuff like the NFL Films kind of skated in as documentaries.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 06-24-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the Director's Cut of Gettysburg this morning. Even at over 4 hours it really didn't feel that long. The amount of detail was excellent and I feel they told the story well from both sides. Several times I truly hurt from what I was hearing and seeing on the screen. If the words spoken are anywhere close to what was actually said I have a new respect for the pain and suffering the commanders of the two armies had to have felt over sending men into a battle no one truly wanted. That the war continued for another 2 years after this battle is somewhat staggering considering the feelings of the commanders and the losses suffered at Gettysburg.
Old 06-24-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I watched the Director's Cut of Gettysburg this morning. Even at over 4 hours it really didn't feel that long. The amount of detail was excellent and I feel they told the story well from both sides. Several times I truly hurt from what I was hearing and seeing on the screen. If the words spoken are anywhere close to what was actually said I have a new respect for the pain and suffering the commanders of the two armies had to have felt over sending men into a battle no one truly wanted. That the war continued for another 2 years after this battle is somewhat staggering considering the feelings of the commanders and the losses suffered at Gettysburg.
I've actually been to Gettysburg. You really get a feeling of what the soldiers went through by touring the battlefield.
Old 06-24-17, 09:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I disagree. Unless of course one really does limit it to a historical "films" challenge as opposed to the historical "appreciation" challenge it usually goes by. Historical events, sports or otherwise, are exactly the spirit of the challenge.

A beauty of this Challenge is that one can approach it at multiple angles, and the actual events aspect of it makes it potentially quite different from our normal film-centric months.
Old 06-25-17, 02:03 PM

Probably, but would that count if I watch the Red's replay at midnight? What if I DVR the game and watch it later? I can see the argument, but I am not quite convinced. I can see something like when they broadcast old news stories as they happened, like the Moon landing or September 11, but a sporting event, as is but old, doesn't seem challengy to me. I might have to think harder on it. I've already opened this up a bit.
Old 06-25-17, 02:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Probably, but would that count if I watch the Red's replay at midnight? What if I DVR the game and watch it later? I can see the argument, but I am not quite convinced. I can see something like when they broadcast old news stories as they happened, like the Moon landing or September 11, but a sporting event, as is but old, doesn't seem challengy to me. I might have to think harder on it. I've already opened this up a bit.
That'd actually be closing it up, not opening. Sports and concerts and other events have always counted.

But if they don't seem Challengey to any individual, they don't have to personally watch/count them.
Old 06-25-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't "get" watching sporting events as "history," but I don't get watching them at all. It's just something that I've never found interesting. To me, watching sporting events is much like watching paint dry. I'll watch people play a board/card game simply because I might come away with a new insight/strategy for my own play sessions, but even then I'd rather be playing than just watching. But if that's what someone likes then who am I to complain? ...well... as long as I'm not forced to participate. IMHO, watching a film/video of an old sporting event as history is, thematically, not too different than re-watching an old concert. Something I'm about to do.
Old 06-25-17, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Amusingly, I was really bored yesterday and watched a broadcast of a legendary Phillies-Cubs game from 1979 where the Phillies won 23-22 in 10 after nearly blowing a dozen plus run early lead. When your team is as bad and unwatchable as the 2017 Phillies, you need to find something to scratch your baseball itch! It never once had crossed my mind to count it for this challenge until reading the last handful of posts here. With that being said, I tend to agree with Trevor's rationale on this. It should be obvious to not count something like last night's, last week's, or even last month's game though as dictated by common sense. If we really need a specific rule, maybe go something like 2-5 years or older.
Old 06-25-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I just watched a pop music concert from late 2016. But I'm not going to include it in the challenge. It's not "history." Since I was watching it for the first time, it was new to me and not history.
Old 06-25-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The host should have final say. An example is the rule of narrowing down documentaries to only be historical documentaries now. I'm watching an episode of Planet Earth, but I'm not counting it, as it is not a historical documentary.
Old 06-25-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I just watched a pop music concert from late 2016. But I'm not going to include it in the challenge. It's not "history." Since I was watching it for the first time, it was new to me and not history.
I would - well depending on just when in 2016 it originated (I'd go for at least a year old).

What I'm going to watch later this evening is an expanded cut of Woodstock, which is most decidedly historical.
Old 06-25-17, 07:03 PM

If there is no objection, I can allow sporting events from the past. Perhaps we can put an arbitrary rule on it, like the sport docs.
Old 06-25-17, 07:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

June 25th- had to put on a George Custer movie for his anniversary of the battle of Little big Horn.
They Died with Their Boots on- Errol Flynn.
Old 06-25-17, 08:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've actually been to Gettysburg. You really get a feeling of what the soldiers went through by touring the battlefield.
yes, Gettysburg is a magical place. I need to go back there sometime soon.
Old 06-25-17, 09:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I am embarrassed to say that I have lived in PA most of my life, have a history degree, and have never been to Gettysburg. I really do need to remedy that.
Old 06-25-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is no objection, I can allow sporting events from the past. Perhaps we can put an arbitrary rule on it, like the sport docs.
I would suggest that sporting events from the past be considered as "Wild Cards" and included in the 3 Wild Card total; i.e. you are allowed a total of 3 wild cards (not 3 sporting events and 3 Zeitgeist films).
Old 06-26-17, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early today, so thought I'd watch an episode of Against The Odds, on AHC GO. It was about the battle for Sugar Loaf Hill, the final battle in World War II. The victory at Sugar Loaf Hill allowed the Marines to take Okinawa, though it was so costly, President Truman decided against an invasion of Japan. That was what led to the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan.
Old 06-26-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't watch Woodstock as I'd planned. At the last minute I discovered (remembered actually) that the new set was purchased solely for the ticket reproductions, patch (I have an original - this was "just because"), Life article and newspaper clipping reproductions. I already have a copy of the included BR set. It was only $5 shipped so was totally worth the double-dip.

Instead I watched Macbeth (the Roman Polanski version). It was very good.
Old 06-26-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

After watching The Sound of Music last night, I followed it up with a viewing of a DVD Talk prize, The Von Trapp Family: A Life of Music, which is the same story from the point of view of Liesl, the eldest daughter, whose real name is Agathe Von Trapp. It's more or less a Hallmark version of The Sound of Music but with classical music instead of the familiar Rodgers and Hammerstein songs, and of course focusing on Liesl instead of Maria. I don't ever need to see it again, but it's kind of interesting to see the different perspective.

Old 06-26-17, 09:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I won't give away the scene, but there's this one moment in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' that had me howling with laughter and specifically becomes a 'history lesson' moment - it's becoming a wild card title.
Old 06-27-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first part of my Xena: Warrior Princess DVD's came yesterday, with the bundle of Seasons 1-4, so I broke open Season 1 today, and watched the first episode that I hadn't seen on Hulu yet. It happened to be one of my favorite episodes, 'The Titans'. In which Gabrielle releases the Titans from their imprisonment.
Old 06-27-17, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I would suggest that sporting events from the past be considered as "Wild Cards" and included in the 3 Wild Card total; i.e. you are allowed a total of 3 wild cards (not 3 sporting events and 3 Zeitgeist films).
Sounds reasonable. That way it can count but not spoil the integrity of the challenge. I consider history the way we study our past. How we process it and relate to it. The NFL films docs, or even the Jesse Owens Olympics documentaries allow us to gain perspective on the events. Just watching the events as they were but on delay doesn't really say history to me. But I don't feel strongly enough about it to prevent someone else's view. It's just a challenge and we're here to guide it but not rule it.
Old 06-27-17, 08:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

what about 'Jaws' - since the book was inspired by the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks and Quint is a fictional character that survived the 1945 USS Indianapolis sinking, mass shark attack; do I need to list that as a 'Wild Card'?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.