Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Old 06-11-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It also shows how easily properly presented propaganda can influence a nation's peoples and get them to do things they otherwise might not.
If half-baked obvious and easily-disproven outright lies can still convince millions of people they are 'truths', any halfway-decent propaganda machine can work (dangerous) miracles...
Old 06-11-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
question: 'Zeitgeist Wild Cards' don't have to apply to video/film based content - right? I just saw 'Anastasia' on Broadway and am thinking of including it as a wild card.
Include it WITHOUT a wildcard - it's surely as/more historically viable than many films that squarely count...

Was it any good?
Old 06-11-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, Anastasia would count, regardless. I have no problem with theater being counted. Hell, I count panel discussions at Drive-in movie and Horror conventions.
Old 06-12-17, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I woke up early this morning, so thought I'd watch a couple things for the Challenge. I just finished a couple episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess, on Hulu, including an episode that introduced my favorite character in the series, Kevin Smith, as Ares. I forget the exact year it happened, but I still remember what I was doing when I heard that he had died in a horseback accident, while filming a stunt for a movie, in either New Zealand, or Australia.
Old 06-12-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

question: 'Zeitgeist Wild Cards' don't have to apply to video/film based content - right? I just saw 'Anastasia' on Broadway and am thinking of including it as a wild card.
Originally Posted by ntnon
Include it WITHOUT a wildcard - it's surely as/more historically viable than many films that squarely count...
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Yeah, Anastasia would count, regardless. I have no problem with theater being counted. Hell, I count panel discussions at Drive-in movie and Horror conventions.
Well, I guess I'll go back and count the live theatre performance of Rock of Ages that I didn't think would qualify.
Old 06-12-17, 12:02 PM

Not seen it, but as long as it actually takes place in the 80s (as I assume it does, by its soundtrack and premise), then it should count.
Old 06-12-17, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon

Was it any good?
Oh i liked it tremendously - with the new songs that obviously weren't in the movie it made it better. Set design and use of projected imagery was fantastic - the ending of Act 1 was a stunner.
Old 06-12-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Oh i liked it tremendously - with the new songs that obviously weren't in the movie it made it better. Set design and use of projected imagery was fantastic - the ending of Act 1 was a stunner.
I should revisit the movie. Other than a couple of Big Songs, I thought the movie was a little slow, and I didn't like the comic-relief non-humans.
Old 06-12-17, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I should revisit the movie. Other than a couple of Big Songs, I thought the movie was a little slow, and I didn't like the comic-relief non-humans.
thankfully for the Broadway version both Bartok and Rasputin aren't in it, the musical mixes the story of the animated version and the 1956 Yul Brynner movie
Old 06-12-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While browsing AHC GO, on my tablet, I just discovered a very good show, called, What History Forgot. It features segments of little known history facts that most people don't know, like a terrorist attack that happened on Liberty Island during World War I, to keep America from sending ammunition to the Allies during the war, or how Monopoly played a role in helping over 30,000 POWs escape from German POW Camps during World War II.
Old 06-12-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

thankfully for the Broadway version both Bartok and Rasputin aren't in it, the musical mixes the story of the animated version and the 1956 Yul Brynner movie
Old 06-12-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, my wife and I saw the Broadway production of SUNSET BOULEVARD with Glen Close on Saturday, and, since it's a period piece which includes at least one actual historic figure (CB DeMille) I'll be counting it. Close was magnificent, and even though the musical doesn't have Billy Wilder's sardonic wit, it still works.
Old 06-12-17, 10:01 PM

I guess I should now go see 'Jesus Christ Superstar' over the Signature Theater
Old 06-13-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just watched a new Cinemax series (since canceled) called Quarry, which follows a Vietnam vet as he returns home and faces backlash. It also ties in civil rights and the Nixon-McGovern election. Good crime series, but not as good as previous Cinemax series Banshee and Strike Back.

Hey, I'm going to see Cabaret and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion this week!

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Well, my wife and I saw the Broadway production of SUNSET BOULEVARD with Glen Close on Saturday, and, since it's a period piece which includes at least one actual historic figure (CB DeMille) I'll be counting it. Close was magnificent, and even though the musical doesn't have Billy Wilder's sardonic wit, it still works.
Man, Close returning to the role after 25 years just kind of puts a new meta twist on that show.
Old 06-13-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Season One of Dogfights. Been enjoying revisiting that show, and will likely start Season Two before the month is out. The only episode that wouldn't be eligible is the bonus episode, Dogfights Of The Future.
Old 06-13-17, 10:49 PM

One of my favorite shows. I've seen it twice with Carl Anderson, once with Ted Neely. One of the Carl Anderson tours was with Sebastian Bach as Jesus but I made the mistake of seeing the Sunday matinee and of course Bach was indisposed, so we saw the understudy. The other Carl Anderson performance (the one with Ted Neely) was also supposed to have Dennis DeYoung of Styx as Pilate, but we got his understudy, as well.

I bought tickets to see the live Fathom events performance with Tim Minchin as Judas, but it got cancelled for some reason. I did finally buy the Blu-ray but was disappointed. He really doesn't have the pipes for that role and was auto-tuned.
Old 06-13-17, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
One of my favorite shows. I've seen it twice with Carl Anderson, once with Ted Neely. One of the Carl Anderson tours was with Sebastian Bach as Jesus but I made the mistake of seeing the Sunday matinee and of course Bach was indisposed, so we saw the understudy. The other Carl Anderson performance (the one with Ted Neely) was also supposed to have Dennis DeYoung of Styx as Pilate, but we got his understudy, as well.

I bought tickets to see the live Fathom events performance with Tim Minchin as Judas, but it got cancelled for some reason. I did finally buy the Blu-ray but was disappointed. He really doesn't have the pipes for that role and was auto-tuned.
I saw Ted Neely in the BroadwayAcrossAmerica national tour in 2009 - wow, what a performance, the guy sitting to my left was in complete awe at the end of the title song near the end of the show where Jesus rises off of the stage, his eyes were as big as saucer plates and his jaw was gaping (it was too funny).
Old 06-14-17, 06:49 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

finally got around to my dvd of the First Churchills. A BBC TV Show from 1969. apparently it was the inspiration for Masterpiece Theater
Old 06-14-17, 11:10 AM

I saw Ted Neely in the BroadwayAcrossAmerica national tour in 2009 - wow, what a performance, the guy sitting to my left was in complete awe at the end of the title song near the end of the show where Jesus rises off of the stage, his eyes were as big as saucer plates and his jaw was gaping (it was too funny).
He tore UP Gethsemane. It's amazing what maturity can do to one's voice. His live performance was so much better than the "screaming Jesus" of the movie. The one I saw was in the early '90s with Carl Anderson. I think I missed that 2006 tour. It says it had Corey Glover of Living Colour as Judas and I think I sadly passed that one up.

I was also lucky enough to catch Michael Crawford on a tour doing the "Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber" and he did Gethsemane, as well. Not lucky enough to catch him actually doing Phantom, but he sang most of his Phantom songs (and even other character's songs he liked) in that show.

I was fortunate enough to catch revivals of Jesus Christ Superstar with Carl Anderson and Ted Neeley, Cabaret with Joel Grey, Camelot with Richard Harris, and Fiddler on the Roof with Topol.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 06-14-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-15-17, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to this Challenge, I discovered a show that I've greatly enjoyed watching, Ancient Assassins. I've been watching episodes of it on both AHC on Demand, on TV, and on AHC GO, on my tablet. It's amazing how great some of the warriors and special forces were back in both ancient and medieval times.
Old 06-15-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not counting it for the Challenge, but I just watched a history making stunt on TV. Erindera Wallenda did a record breaking stunt, where she hung from a helicopter over Niagara Falls, including in part of her routine, hanging from her teeth, to celebrate the anniversary of her husband's tightrope walk over the Falls. The reason I'm not counting it for the Challenge, however, is that while it may have been history making, since it took place today, it wasn't in history.
Old 06-17-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

This morning I watched Gods and Generals, the Extended Director's Edition. Man... that's a looooong film! It clocks in at 4 1/2 hours *before* the credits roll! I found it interesting but there were times it dropped to a crawl... mostly telling the story of Boothe, which felt mostly fictional (but I've never read enough about him to know just how much *is* known), but also at other times. Due to the length I don't know how often I'll watch this one but do feel it deserves more than 1 viewing.

I almost followed it with Gettysburg but it, too, is over 4 hours! I couldn't convince myself to do over 8 hours on Civil War films today. Maybe tomorrow...

Last night I wanted something light before bed so I put in S1 of Hogan's Heroes - a long-time favorite. I now feel the need to get in some McHale's Navy and You'll Never Get Rich (aka The Phil Silvers Show just to watch something from the three main service branches. I considered Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. but as there's no war going on in the series it doesn't truly have the "Historical" area covered.
Old 06-17-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
This morning I watched Gods and Generals, the Extended Director's Edition. Man... that's a looooong film! It clocks in at 4 1/2 hours *before* the credits roll! I found it interesting but there were times it dropped to a crawl... mostly telling the story of Boothe, which felt mostly fictional (but I've never read enough about him to know just how much *is* known), but also at other times. Due to the length I don't know how often I'll watch this one but do feel it deserves more than 1 viewing.

I almost followed it with Gettysburg but it, too, is over 4 hours! I couldn't convince myself to do over 8 hours on Civil War films today. Maybe tomorrow...

Last night I wanted something light before bed so I put in S1 of Hogan's Heroes - a long-time favorite. I now feel the need to get in some McHale's Navy and You'll Never Get Rich (aka The Phil Silvers Show just to watch something from the three main service branches. I considered Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. but as there's no war going on in the series it doesn't truly have the "Historical" area covered.

I own both Gods And Generals, and Gettysburg. I'd like to watch them again sometime this month, as I do enjoy them, but I've been having trouble convincing myself to sit down and watch a four hour movie, let alone two of them.
Old 06-17-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I own both Gods And Generals, and Gettysburg. I'd like to watch them again sometime this month, as I do enjoy them, but I've been having trouble convincing myself to sit down and watch a four hour movie, let alone two of them.
Yeah... I was going to watch them both last Saturday but took a look at the times first! I decided to put it off a bit and this morning decided to just split them up for now. I may do a back-to-back viewing in the future.
Old 06-18-17, 07:47 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

speaking of long films i watched Das Boot yesterday and its 3 1/2 hours

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.