Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Old 05-01-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Oooooo.... I just realized Bob Denver counts for mine and I have a Gilligan's Island set on SS discs I've yet to open. OK... I, again, have way too much content for the month!
Old 05-01-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

I felt like watching sports tonight, so will mostly focus on that part of my Challenge tonight. I kicked off my sports marathon, by watching an episode of FIA World Rally, from Argentina, on WatchESPN. WatchESPN has tons of sports replays available.
Old 05-01-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I felt like watching sports tonight, so will mostly focus on that part of my Challenge tonight. I kicked off my sports marathon, by watching an episode of FIA World Rally, from Argentina, on WatchESPN. WatchESPN has tons of sports replays available.
Do you have favorite sports that you follow or will you watch anything? I have several friends and family members who are one-sporters (usually American football) and few more that avidly watch both football and basketball (or baseball) and a handful that will watch any sport that comes their way. As for myself, I'll tag along with friends to about anything, but I don't watch any sports on television besides the occasional tennis match or golf tournament.
Old 05-01-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Do you have favorite sports that you follow or will you watch anything? I have several friends and family members who are one-sporters (usually American football) and few more that avidly watch both football and basketball (or baseball) and a handful that will watch any sport that comes their way. As for myself, I'll tag along with friends to about anything, but I don't watch any sports on television besides the occasional tennis match or golf tournament.
No, I don't follow any particular sport, I like them all. Though I don't know much about players, when it comes to NFL, and MLB, I do have particular teams I prefer over others. I also enjoy watching sports talk shows too, and I am an avid participant in outdoor sports, such as hunting and fishing.
Old 05-02-17, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Started my Buffy re-watch. Some of the special effects and creature costumes were laughably dated (the praying mantis from "Teacher's Pet" is particularly cringe-worthy). I also forgot how little diversity there was in the cast and even the background players. I guess people of color knew not to settle down on a hellmouth?
Old 05-02-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Started my Buffy re-watch. Some of the special effects and creature costumes were laughably dated (the praying mantis from "Teacher's Pet" is particularly cringe-worthy). I also forgot how little diversity there was in the cast and even the background players. I guess people of color knew not to settle down on a hellmouth?
If you're a podcast person, there's a great Buffy recap show called "Buffering the Vampire Slayer". The hosts are super fun and charismatic, and one of them writes and performs a recap song for each episode.

I'm trying to remember if the cast ever really diversifies. Does Robin ever achieve main cast status?
Old 05-02-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh I was looking for some supplemental material. Thanks, I'll look up the podcast.

Nope, Robin is never a main character and let's not talk about Kendra.
Old 05-02-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After debating what I wanted to focus on today, I decided to keep on with sports, since I slept a lot last night, and didn't get as much in as I would have liked. I got a late start today too, due to appointments, but when I got home, I looked on the Dish Guide, and saw NFL Live was just coming on, on ESPN2. There were two stories of note that particularly interested me. First was Buffalo got one of their highest Draft grades, with an A-, and second was a heartwarming story about a Pitt player that battled through Hodgins Lymphoma. He even played his practices with a mask over his face. That story was particularly interesting because he was a local boy from a city 40 miles from where I live.
Old 05-02-17, 03:48 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I did a Martial Arts double feature earlier today. Seagal's first movie, Above the Law (1988). And JCVD's debut, Bloodsport (1988).

Has anyone else noticed all the cat meowing during the fight scenes in Bloodsport? I kept pausing the movie and got up to look for my cat and make sure he wasn't stuck in a cabinet or something.

Old 05-02-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After thinking about it, I decided to do documentaries today, since I recently subscribed to Curiosity Stream on Roku, and that would give me the opportunity to watch Walking With Monsters. And there are a lot of good documentaries on Dish and Roku. Not to mention my DVD collection.
Old 05-02-17, 08:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I think I'll make my month a music challenge. My shelf or two of music discs tends to expand while staying sealed, so it's beyond time to dive into some of this video compilations and music documentaries. Not as uniquely original as I'd like, but I need to start unwrapping things.

First up, a couple/few Paul McCartney releases.
Old 05-03-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had insomnia tonight, so thought I'd take advantage of it by browsing the Dish Guide for something to watch, rather than toss and turn in bed. I came across yesterday's edition of The Express Xtra, on Bein Sports. I thought why not, since I kind of like to watch the sporting events on that channel. It focuses mainly on the soccer games, but it covers all of the sports that are aired on there.
Old 05-03-17, 04:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
May 1st
1. Kiki's Delivery Service (Majo no takkyûbin) (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989 / Japan)
--- Instead of contemplating how a genocidal slaveholder could have averted the Civil War, I watched a cute Studio Ghibli film about a young witch coming-of-age and learning her trade.
2. Sunrise/Sunset (Rassvet/Zakat. Dalai Lama 14) (Vitaliy Manskiy, 2008 / Russia)*
--- Instead of pondering how praying for the oil industry and cutting corporate taxes will help Oklahoma's alarming budget deficit, I watched a Russian documentary that follows the daily routine of the Dalai Lama.

May 2nd
3. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot) (Jacques Tati, 1953 / France)
--- Sure, I could have continue to contemplate the ramifications of giving a jingoistic paranoid an even bigger military budget, but I decided to bury my head in one of my favorite comedies, Jacques Tati's lackadaisical meditation on everyday delights and nuisances.
mrcellophane, I'm getting some big smiles from your movie descriptions.
Old 05-03-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

3. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot) (Jacques Tati, 1953 / France)
If you haven't already seen if, check out The Suitor (Pierre Etaix, 1963), which could be considered a spiritual successor to M. Hulot's Holiday. There's a box available from Criterion.
Old 05-03-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by omike
mrcellophane, I'm getting some big smiles from your movie descriptions.
Thanks! Recently, I'm been using movies as a way to stay sane and not get sucked into reading (okay, obsessing about) the news!

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
If you haven't already seen if, check out The Suitor (Pierre Etaix, 1963), which could be considered a spiritual successor to M. Hulot's Holiday. There's a box available from Criterion.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can get ahold of a copy. I love Tati's films and seeing something in the same vein would be delightful, especially since I've watched all that Tati has to offer.
Old 05-03-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I did a Martial Arts double feature earlier today. Seagal's first movie, Above the Law (1988). And JCVD's debut, Bloodsport (1988).

Has anyone else noticed all the cat meowing during the fight scenes in Bloodsport? I kept pausing the movie and got up to look for my cat and make sure he wasn't stuck in a cabinet or something.

https://youtu.be/Tl5H2wSff8U
Bloodsport would also be eligible for next month's challenge as well, since it is based on a true story.
Old 05-03-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
bloodsport would also be eligible for next month's challenge as well, since it is based on a true story.
kumite! Kumite! Kumite!
Old 05-04-17, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

So, I just watched the most 80ish 80s movie to ever 80s. Parent Trap II. Stretching my classic Disney movie challenge a smidgen but I did just watch the original and this was on the same disc.

Anyway, made in 1986 and a made for TV movie to boot (really wish they had done a 2 pack with Parent Trap II and III on it rather than I and II!) this thing was super cheesy. Every single bit of it was prime 80s. I kid you not, they had Cabbage Patch Doll face flowers. And one of the girls was wearing these plastic charms that you made into bracelets or necklaces that I still have my set of! I think I wore most of the same clothes that the kids did. Same styles and colors for sure.

While the movie itself was pretty much what you'd expect from a made for TV movie, it was just fun watching for the clothing and backgrounds.
Old 05-04-17, 07:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a hard time deciding what to do. I have 81 episodes of Jumong to watch, so first I thought Historical TV, then I thought Asian because I didn't want to limit myself to TV. But I'm still watching French movies that I didn't get to last month, so I finally decided to go with mrcellophane's foreign film idea (not a stretch for me). So it's Around the World in 31 Days for me. Unlike mrcellophane, I'm not looking to escape our national nightmare, but for greater knowledge and perhaps empathy-two things our president has no interest in. I'm looking for movies concerned with sociological issues, history, etc., but will watch some that are simply fun.

I'm off to a slow start-two movies by Claire Denis so far. I'm going to try to watch movies from at least 31 countries, which will be a challenge with my slow start and my intent to participate in a Western challenge as well, but can be done with judicious use of the shorts that Film Movement includes on its DVDs.

I have a feeling that I won't get to Jumong this month, though.
Old 05-04-17, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to watch mainly documentaries today, so I thought I'd get an early start. I started by looking at the Dish Guide, and came across an episode of Celebrated, about Gwyneth Paltrow, on Reelz. I don't know much of her work, other than Shallow Hal, and her role as Pepper Potts, on the Iron Man movies. Shallow Hal left a lot to be desired, but she was very good in the Iron Man movies.
Old 05-04-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

My grandson came in while an episode of Newhart was playing. He loved it! So we watch a few more episodes and I tell him "To get the final joke of this series you have to have at least seen a few episodes of The Bob Newhart Show." He tries to get out of me just why but I won't spill it. Instead I get out S1 of The Bob Newhart Show for us to watch a few episodes of that one. He liked what he saw of it as well (just a half episode before he had to leave) so I'll get in a few more with him. Still 3 seasons from that final Newhart episode so there's lots of time...
Old 05-04-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My grandson came in while an episode of Newhart was playing. He loved it! So we watch a few more episodes and I tell him "To get the final joke of this series you have to have at least seen a few episodes of The Bob Newhart Show." He tries to get out of me just why but I won't spill it. Instead I get out S1 of The Bob Newhart Show for us to watch a few episodes of that one. He liked what he saw of it as well (just a half episode before he had to leave) so I'll get in a few more with him. Still 3 seasons from that final Newhart episode so there's lots of time...
I remember the final scene in Newhart, so I know what the joke is, but won't say anything in case people here haven't seen it.
Old 05-04-17, 03:34 PM

I'm settling into my challenge (British TV and movies) with the first two TV shows that I'll watch being Life on Mars from 2006-2007 and Survivors from the mid 70's. The first is about a police detective in 2006 who gets seriously wacked by a speeding car and wakes up in 1973, still a police officer. Did he travel in time or is he really in a coma and just imagining all this? I've see three episodes so far and it's very well done and has a lot of great music from the time period. Survivors is about the survivors (duh!) of a world wide virus that kills off most of the population. I've only seen one episode so far but I liked it. This was created by Terry Nation, the man who also created The Daleks. I'm going to have a couple of comedies on tap for a change of pace. One Foot in the Grave is about a cranky old guy whose crankiness gets him into all sorts of trouble. I already watched the first two seasons and liked it a lot. The other comedy will be The Vicar of Dibley about a female minister in a small town. I haven't watched any of that yet.
Old 05-05-17, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My grandson came in while an episode of Newhart was playing. He loved it! So we watch a few more episodes and I tell him "To get the final joke of this series you have to have at least seen a few episodes of The Bob Newhart Show."
That truly was one of TV's great series ending moments for sure! Speaking of which...

Originally Posted by omike
I'm settling into my challenge (British TV and movies) with the first two TV shows that I'll watch being Life on Mars from 2006-2007 and Survivors from the mid 70's.
The British Life on Mars finale was ALSO extremely satisfying! I remember (not really a spoiler but better safe than sorry...)
Spoiler:
after the penultimate episode I remember thinking "How on earth are they going to wrap this up in an hour?" But I loved it and thought it was excellent! (Completely UNLIKE the TERRIBLE conclusion of the American version, which ironically
Spoiler:
was very similar to the Newhart ending we were talking about, which was great! LOL
Old 05-05-17, 12:42 PM

^ pacaway, it's good to hear that the ending doesn't disappoint. I've been burned too often by things like anime with a good build up but a lame finish. I also really appreciate the spoiler button - I haven't looked at it yet. You said it wasn't really a spoiler but I love being totally surprised by stuff so I'll wait until I've seen it all. I have a good friend who is just the opposite. He scours the internet to find out what's going to happen in something he's watching. I guess he just likes to see how it plays out once he knows what's going to happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.