Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Old 05-05-17, 01:00 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

I am re-watching Cheers after all these years and talk about a show that holds up. And Coach is a standout, gonna be sad when we get to his last season.
Old 05-05-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I am re-watching Cheers after all these years and talk about a show that holds up. And Coach is a standout, gonna be sad when we get to his last season.
I'll never forget the last line in Cheers, was a sad ending.
Old 05-05-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
That's one of those few shows where I'll watch the open every time to hear the theme music. I absolutely hated the truncated open used for syndication.

I, too, was sad when I watched my discs and the Coach era ended.
Old 05-05-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't pulled an all nighter in a few months, so being a Friday night, tonight seems like the perfect time to do that. I started with an episode of A-Way Outdoors, on Wild Television On Demand, in which the hosts were in Canada, hunting for moose.
Old 05-05-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a very good episode of Sport Fishing On The Fly, on the World Fishing Network. It was all about a float trip down the Columbia River, in British Columbia. The host caught some beautiful trout, including one very big rainbow trout. That would be a trip I'd love to take some day.
Old 05-05-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. So I know everyone loves Clint Eastwood and this is a classic, but halfway through this film I was falling asleep and really don't have too much of an idea of what is going on (especially it being a 3 hour film). Am I the only one that feels that way?
Old 05-06-17, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been wanting to watch The Princess Diaries for a while and this challenge gave me the excuse. A fun, light-hearted movie. I didn't want to pop in another movie this late at night, especially since I have to get up early tomorrow, but wasn't ready for bed. I decided to watch the featurette, "A New Princess." Garry Marshall was surprisingly featured quite heavily in it; he mainly was speaking about his actors, but there is quite a bit at the end that focus just on him as a director and a few of the things he did during the movie for the cast and crew, like a pumpkin carving contest and a replica Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Considering he passed recently, it was quite a nice piece on one of my favorite directors.
Old 05-07-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
The other comedy will be The Vicar of Dibley about a female minister in a small town. I haven't watched any of that yet.
Hope you enjoy the series. It's one of my favorite British comedies.

I spent part of yesterday and today helping my parents work on their house so by the time I got home, I didn't have the brainpower for much. I decided to finish watching Lifetime's adaptations of V.C. Andrews' most famous series. I though the films were from the United States but was pleasantly surprised to see that they came from Canada and thus count for my challenge. I'm a fan of campy, overblown melodrama, and these films definitely deliver! They don't play down the incest from the books, and by the time you get to Seeds of Yesterday, the fourth and final installment, things have spiraled into insanity!
Old 05-07-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I enjoy about weekend mornings, is extra outdoor shows on, as there a few channels besides the dedicated outdoor programming shows that air fishing shows early in the morning on weekends. Destination America is one of them, and I just finished watching an episode of Jimmy Houston Outdoors on there. He was in Mexico this week, fishing for largemouth bass, at least they looked like largemouth. I didn't know largemouth were in Mexico.
Old 05-07-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike
I'm going to have a couple of comedies on tap for a change of pace. One Foot in the Grave is about a cranky old guy whose crankiness gets him into all sorts of trouble. I already watched the first two seasons and liked it a lot. The other comedy will be The Vicar of Dibley about a female minister in a small town. I haven't watched any of that yet.
I enjoyed the first few series of One Foot in the Grave but it then started to feel rather depressing towards the end.

The Vicar of Dibley is an all-time favorite BritCom and one my wife will willingly watch with me. It's full of superb eccentric characters and has lots of rewatchability factor.
Originally Posted by jacob_b
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. So I know everyone loves Clint Eastwood and this is a classic, but halfway through this film I was falling asleep and really don't have too much of an idea of what is going on (especially it being a 3 hour film). Am I the only one that feels that way?
That's one of my favorite Eastwood films as well as a favorite "Spaghetti Western." But it did take a couple of viewings for it to start to gel for me.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 05-07-17 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I enjoyed the first few series of One Foot in the Grave but it then started to feel rather depressing towards the end.

The Vicar of Dibley is an all-time favorite BritCom and one my wife will willingly watch with me. It's full of superb eccentric characters and has lots of rewatchability factor.

That's one of my favorite Eastwood films as well as a favorite "Spaghetti Western." But it did take a couple of viewings for it to start to gel for me.
Why do you think it takes some viewings? I mean, the last 30-40 minutes are awesome, but the buildup just takes forever it seems like. It might be because I'm watching the original one that isn't shortened as there just seems to be too many gangs and gibberish going on, especially in the middle.
Old 05-08-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today feels like a documentary day, and I got a bit of a late start today, unless you count the interview I watched on the Bonus Features Disc of Africa. I was looking on Amazon Prime, and all of a sudden got an idea, 'I wonder if Wild America is on Amazon Prime. Lo and behold, the entire 12 season series is available on there, so I happily watched the first episode. I remember pleasantly the days of watching this show on PBS, back in the 80s.
Old 05-08-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why do you think it takes some viewings? I mean, the last 30-40 minutes are awesome, but the buildup just takes forever it seems like. It might be because I'm watching the original one that isn't shortened as there just seems to be too many gangs and gibberish going on, especially in the middle.
For me, I just didn't catch some stuff. I don't know if I was distracted or it was somewhat vague (it was a looooong time ago). I come from an age where most movies took time building so that slow burn to the meat of the film has never been an issue (quite the opposite with many of today's films where there's little to no build at all so I tend to get burnt out before they reach the half-way mark). One viewing it just gelled and now gets a bit better every time I watch it. FWIW I prefer the longer version.
Old 05-08-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Indeed. I thought it was overrated the first time I watched it. It only became my most favorite movie of all time soon after......Just only
Old 05-08-17, 02:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Hope you enjoy the series. It's one of my favorite British comedies.

I've now watched two episodes of The Vicar of Dibley and got plenty of laughs out of both. Dawn French is just brilliant and I already love the supporting cast.

I added some shorter shows for weekend mornings including two I haven't watched before. The Nightmare Man is a four part thriller about savage murders being committed on an isolate island. This looks very good. The other is The Tomorrow People a show for older children that has multi-part stories. This one looks to be a tad cheesy. I'm used to cheap sets and effects from Classic Dr. Who but these seem to be even cheaper and the main characters are insanely naive. I'll update after I get in more episodes.

I was pleased to see David Suchet of Poirot fame had a good roll in last Saturday's Dr. Who.
Old 05-08-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the bonus features disc of Africa, completing my rewatch of the entire series. I really enjoyed revisiting it and forgot how good a series it was. I'm ready to move on to my next DVD or Blu Ray series now, but still have to decide what that will be, at least next documentary series.
Old 05-08-17, 07:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

that Africa series sounds pretty cool. is it the national geographic dvd?
Old 05-08-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
It's a BBC Nature Documentary, narrated by none other than Sir David Attenborough. In fact one of the bonus features is a 14 minute interview with him.

I just stumbled upon a good Roku channel that will help me not only for this Challenge, but also the sci fi/fantasy Challenge in a couple of months. I just happened to be scanning Roku channels, when I saw an ad for a channel called BritBox, that had Classic Doctor Who. I browsed the channel, and saw all 24 seasons, plus the The Five Doctors special. I jumped at the subscription. It's $6.99 a month, with a 7 day free trial. I just finished the first ever episode, 'An Unearthly Child', that introduced the first Doctor, William Hartnell, his granddaughter, Susan, and the first ever Companions, Ian, and Barbara.
Old 05-09-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Indeed. I thought it was overrated the first time I watched it. It only became my most favorite movie of all time soon after......Just only
I'll take those into consideration and break it open again later this year hopefully or early next year.
Old 05-09-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Originally Posted by shadokitty
It's a BBC Nature Documentary, narrated by none other than Sir David Attenborough. In fact one of the bonus features is a 14 minute interview with him.
The BR is currently $9.98 at Amazon w/Prime shipping.

I picked that one up a couple of years back on DVD and upgraded to the BR when it was offered at that price. A great doc and super price.
Old 05-09-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night, I decided to take a small break from documentaries, in favor of sports, and am continuing that today. Between Dish, Roku, Sling TV, and PlayStation Vue, with DVR, I have plenty to choose from.
Old 05-09-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to go back to my regular routine of watching whatever I am in the mood for. I did decide my next series to work on, however. It is another BBC documentary, Earth: The Biography, hosted by Iain Stewart. I think it may have originally aired on National Geographic, as that is what the closing credits look like. Just finished a hunting show, Tom Miranda's Territories Wild, on the Outdoor Channel, where he was hunting an animal I've never seen hunted before, musk oxen.
Old 05-09-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Instead of falling back on my usual favorite musicals, I started this month with a little oddity called Mrs Henderson Presents, about a British theatre company putting on a nude revue. It has plenty of nudity, but we're not talking Oh Calcutta--the nude actors are "artfully" still in the background as clothed performers sing and dance in front of them. I didn't realize it was a true story of a real British company during the World War II Blitz. Good roles for Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins.

Now I'm watching the Shrek musical that was recorded live on stage. I saw it in Seattle before it hit Broadway.
Old 05-09-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested, I discovered by chance last night that if you have Showtime through Hulu, that also counts as a participating provider for Showtime Anytime. That helps me out, as it gives me some live Showtime, and much easier to browse On Demand programming than using Hulu.
Old 05-11-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After finishing Earth: The Biography last night, I decided to start in on my next documentary series. I broke out my Blu Ray set of Frozen Planet. I've already watched the first two episodes of the series. I watched the first episode last night, since I had insomnia, and just finished the second episode right now. In my opinion, the BBC documentaries are some of the best around.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.