Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Old 03-04-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

OK KaBluie... I got a bone to pick with you! You have this cool pic of Alyson Hannigan and another chick facing off with samurai swords heading your list. I commented to lrend "That looks pretty cool! What movie's that from?" She tells me "Date Movie, kind of like Scary Movie" and I order a copy (real cheap). I get it in and watch it this evening to discover it's not a action/adventure/crime/mystery movie at all - unless you consider it a crime the movie was made, which is not too far a stretch! The segment from which you took the image is very short and doesn't deliver on the promise of that image. I laughed twice so calling it a comedy is also somewhat of a stretch. My oldest grandson would likely laugh, hard, at several segments but then those are the type that seem to be written by, and for, 13 year old boys. Sigh... I should have read the reviews first! But I fully blame you due to that image!
Old 03-04-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Like books, you don't judge a movie from it's poster or trailer or an out of context image

Good day today, got three movies in. A Danny Kaye comedy, Knock on Wood (1954), that I haven't seen in ages, also, re-watched Royal Tramp (1992) and Royal Tramp 2 (1992). Even with all the Stephen Chow goofiness, they still qualify as classic 90's wu xia, with the likes of Swordsman 2 (1992) and The Bride with White Hair (1993). And funny enough, Brigitte Lin is in three of them .

Might watch The Jade Tiger (1977) tomorrow, but there's a anime movie that's also caught my eye.
Old 03-05-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished a rewatch of Commando, on Encore. I hadn't seen that movie in quite a while, and I've always enjoyed Arnold Schwarzenegger, so when I saw it was on, I jumped at the chance to revisit it.
Old 03-05-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a lucky happenstance, I stumbled upon yet another elk hunting episode tonight. I was browsing the Dish Guide, and decided to watch Long Range Pursuit, on the Pursuit Channel, and without even knowing what the episode was about, I tuned into an episode where the host was in the Rocky Mountains, hunting for Elk.
Old 03-05-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Question for knowledgable (or weird) people... a couple of months ago (maybe as recently as January, maybe as far back as the end of September; probably Nov-Dec) either a DVDTalk review or an Amazon "see also" linked to a review told me to Pre-order (i.e. released on blu-ray in the last six months) a presumbly-Japanese film with an intriguing cover that somewhat reminded me of the craziness of the idea/cover for Yo-Yo Girl Cop.

Anyone have any clue what it was/is? Filtering Amazon has been no help at all. Trawling reviews has not come up with anything yet, either. Help?!
Old 03-05-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Question for knowledgable (or weird) people... a couple of months ago (maybe as recently as January, maybe as far back as the end of September; probably Nov-Dec) either a DVDTalk review or an Amazon "see also" linked to a review told me to Pre-order (i.e. released on blu-ray in the last six months) a presumbly-Japanese film with an intriguing cover that somewhat reminded me of the craziness of the idea/cover for Yo-Yo Girl Cop.

Anyone have any clue what it was/is? Filtering Amazon has been no help at all. Trawling reviews has not come up with anything yet, either. Help?!
Not much to work with, but could it be The Monkey King 2 blue? At least one of the images bears a superficial resemblance to the Sukeban Deka cover. Maybe not, like I said, not a lot to work with.
Old 03-06-17, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found a deal on the Harry Potter bundle on Google Play when I was browsing it yesterday. It's on sale for half off. I was able to grab it for $50, for all 8 movies.
Old 03-06-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished my first Netflix DVD of the Challenge, UFC 167. Nothing says action like two people trying to beat the crap out of each other.
Old 03-06-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday I watched Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014). I generally enjoy spy spoofs and thought I'd really like this one, especially with the cast involved. While it was enjoyable, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. We were doing OK until it briefly ventured into "Austin Powers III" type territory towards the end. Unlike the "Flint" and "Matt Helm" series, it's not one I'll frequent.

I followed it with 1941 (1979) The Director's Cut edition. I'm not a huge fan of Spielberg (well - I mainly don't care for the majority of his SF films) but this is one of my favorites. I really like the added depth in the longer cut. Because I have a new BR upgrade copy I watched both edits "just because."
Old 03-06-17, 10:18 PM

Also doesn't actually count this month, and just an AA hangover, but I wanted to mention Tom, Dick and Harry with Ginger Rogers because Alan Marshal said "live long, and prosper," while there's a phone operator scene that may well have inspired one of the best songs/scenes from an episode of Amazing World of Gumball. Amused me, anyway!

Last edited by ntnon; 03-06-17 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-06-17, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Not much to work with, but could it be The Monkey King 2 blue? At least one of the images bears a superficial resemblance to the Sukeban Deka cover. Maybe not, like I said, not a lot to work with.
It could, but it didn't jump at me like I would hope it would... I'm mildly thinking the cover had a woman either holding a sword, gun or something weird like a yo-yo, and then something about the scene portrayed - and/or the tite - is inherently "Japanese film-y," and either bizarre, needlessly-literal, baffling or funny. Yo-yo Girl Cop, Happiness of the Katakuris, Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl... that kind of thing.

And, yes. Nothing whateve to go on. Just vagueness and hope!
Old 03-07-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cracked my Edgar Wallace Edition 07 box set last night to see what it offered. Three of the four movies offered either an English dub or sub, which pleased me mightily. Unfortunately the one that looks the most fun, Der Gorilla von Soho (1968), has neither, but I might be able to find an English sub somewhere. As it is, I'll probably watch at least two krimis this week.
Old 03-07-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Cracked my Edgar Wallace Edition 07 box set last night to see what it offered. Three of the four movies offered either an English dub or sub, which pleased me mightily. Unfortunately the one that looks the most fun, Der Gorilla von Soho (1968), has neither, but I might be able to find an English sub somewhere. As it is, I'll probably watch at least two krimis this week.
I found some Czech subs for Der Gorilla von Soho at opensubtitles.org. I've had success using Google translate to knock them to English.
Old 03-07-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I found some Czech subs for Der Gorilla von Soho at opensubtitles.org. I've had success using Google translate to knock them to English.
If you are satisfied with the results, I'd appreciate it if you could pass them on to me, if you're so inclined.
Old 03-07-17, 03:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Some thoughts about my last few days. On Saturday I watched The Fast and the Furious (2001) and even though I'm not that interested in cars, I thought it was a good, fun movie and I'm ready for at least a couple more from the franchise during the challenge. To keep with the car theme but at the same time get a change of pace I watched The Great Race next. This 1965 film stars Tony Curtis, Jack Lemon, and Natalie Wood and concerns two daredevil types competing in a car race from New York to Paris. I'm not a fan of this kind of big budget, big star comedy but this was a pleasant watch if kind of long. There weren't any outright laughs for me but I did smile frequently. I liked certain sections more than others (the opening gags with the daredevil stunts, the western interlude, and the swashbuckling interlude) and thought that the stuff in between was at least tolerable.

Sunday turned into a mystery day for me including the above average Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise and a very good and new to me Michael Shayne, Private Detective. The latter was the first of a series of seven films done by Twentieth Century Fox featuring Lloyd Nolan as the title character. (Five more movies starring Hugh Beaumont were made by poverty row studio PRC.) Lloyd Nolan is great as the likeable and street smart detective and although the mystery and it's solution are somewhat complicated there is a touch of screwball comedy to some of the scenes that was very entertaining. I finished with a Hercule Poirot mystery from the TV series which I always enjoy watching.
Old 03-07-17, 04:12 PM

If you are satisfied with the results, I'd appreciate it if you could pass them on to me, if you're so inclined.
I'll try tonight. I'm at work, so I could search it but not download it.
Old 03-07-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I'll try tonight. I'm at work, so I could search it but not download it.
Don't worry about it; I can get it from opensubtitles myself.
Old 03-07-17, 10:45 PM

Don't worry about it; I can get it from opensubtitles myself.
Check your PMs. They turned out pretty good, actually.
Old 03-08-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yesterday I watched Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014). I generally enjoy spy spoofs and thought I'd really like this one, especially with the cast involved. While it was enjoyable, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped. We were doing OK until it briefly ventured into "Austin Powers III" type territory towards the end. Unlike the "Flint" and "Matt Helm" series, it's not one I'll frequent.
This one was underwhelming to me too, I guess because of the hype it received.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I found a deal on the Harry Potter bundle on Google Play when I was browsing it yesterday. It's on sale for half off. I was able to grab it for $50, for all 8 movies.
Good price. I paid about the same on Xbox.
Old 03-08-17, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This reminded me that I picked up Vol. 3 of the Edgar Wallace Edition a while back. For some reason I always forgot about it during previous A/A/C/M challenges so I dug it out last night. All four of the movies have English subs and dubs (which is probably why I picked up this one). I tried Das Rätsel der roten Orchidee (Secret of the Red Orchid) (subtitled) which has Christopher Lee and Klaus Kinski in it. I'm not that familiar with krimi so I don't know if this is a good example but I ended up with mixed feelings. The plot, about two Chicago gangsters relocating to London and each trying to run a protection racket on rich folks, is a little confusing at first but really wasn't too complicated. There is a kind of lighthearted touch to some of the characters that I didn't expect (one of the gangsters is henpecked and there is an obvious comic relief butler whose employers keep getting knocked off) and some of the action is a bit over the top. None of which made for a bad viewing experience but the more I think about it, the more this seems like a spoof of crime movies.

Speaking of the butler, there are five previews, including one for this film, on the disk and all of them have actor Eddie Arent who played the butler. Is he part of what makes a krimi a krimi?
Old 03-08-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just settling in for an evening of Challenge viewing, when a wind storm knocked our power out. I had the house to myself tonight too. Oh well.
Old 03-08-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Originally Posted by davidh777
Good price. I paid about the same on Xbox.
You guys really make me feel good about my Complete Collection BR set I snagged new for $42. It came with DC as well (I don't use them but pass them on to my son)
Old 03-08-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a bit of a reprieve while I am waiting for the power to come back on. My tablet has a full battery. Watching Galapagos: Realm of Giant Sharks, on Pluto TV right now, as I've seen nature documentaries on Netflix and Amazon Prime listed under adventure headings while browsing, and I consider sharks exciting.
Old 03-08-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A fairly new channel on Dish Network is a good channel for this Challenge, the Justice Network. I've watched a few shows on there. It's a true crime channel with some interesting shows. I just finished watching an episode of Body Of Evidence, a show where a criminal profiler attempts to piece together a picture of a suspect.
Old 03-08-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You guys really make me feel good about my Complete Collection BR set I snagged new for $42. It came with DC as well (I don't use them but pass them on to my son)
I have them all on BD, but because I bought them as they came out, the digital content is all over the place. Some have the downloaded versions, some have UV, and I think I'm missing one altogether. At least now I have them all in one place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.