Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Plus, the bundle on Google Play has the Extended versions of the first two movies.
Old 03-08-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Plus, the bundle on Google Play has the Extended versions of the first two movies.
Instead, or as well..?
Old 03-08-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Instead
Old 03-08-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I assume all digital collections are like that.
Old 03-08-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

You guys talking about the Harry Potter set. It reminds me that it still sits on my shelf unopened. I picked it up for $14.96. Walmart/Amazon had it that low for a very brief time a few years back. I really should get around to checking them out.
Old 03-09-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
You guys talking about the Harry Potter set. It reminds me that it still sits on my shelf unopened. I picked it up for $14.96. Walmart/Amazon had it that low for a very brief time a few years back. I really should get around to checking them out.
I think you got us all beat on price

Earlier tonight, I watched Iron Man, on Epix Hits. Always enjoyed the Marvel movies, and I had actually forgotten that Jeff Bridges was in it, since I hadn't seen the first one in years. I had never really pictured him as a villain, maybe because I always think of him as the prince from The Last Unicorn, but he did a superb job as Obadiah Stane.
Old 03-09-17, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got insomnia tonight, so I thought I'd make use of it by working on the Challenge. Was in the mood for an outdoor show, so I browsed the Dish Guide, and found an episode of Flats Class, on the World Fishing Network. It was a good episode that reminded me of when I used to live in Florida, as the host and his guest were on the Crystal River, fishing for Snook.
Old 03-09-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Wow! That's a great price! Mine is the new UK BR set with all the discs in crappy paperboard book affairs (basically a folding disc holder) with the discs in slots in the page - 2 discs per film with both discs on the same page, 2 films per "book" with 4 of those book things. Horrible packaging, but the price suited me just fine for the upgrade. It's certainly compact enough but for once, the UK packaging was not better than the US.
Old 03-09-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I assume all digital collections are like that.
Another reason to avoid digital. If you can't select the version of a film you want to watch then why bother?

I have quite a few films/sets which have multiple cuts of a film. While I usually gravitate to a specific cut I always like the option to select another should I so choose.
Old 03-09-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Another reason to avoid digital. If you can't select the version of a film you want to watch then why bother?

I have quite a few films/sets which have multiple cuts of a film. While I usually gravitate to a specific cut I always like the option to select another should I so choose.
To be clear, it's the years 1-7 digital collection that has only the extended versions of the first two films, but you can get the theatrical versions if you purchase the films separately. But yes, my Ultimate Edition BDs of those films have both versions, and it's generally uncommon to have both editions of a film in digital, though it does happen (like my copy of Batman vs. Superman). On the other hand, it's not like there are a ton of films that have multiple cuts available.
Old 03-09-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
This reminded me that I picked up Vol. 3 of the Edgar Wallace Edition a while back. For some reason I always forgot about it during previous A/A/C/M challenges so I dug it out last night. All four of the movies have English subs and dubs (which is probably why I picked up this one). I tried Das Rätsel der roten Orchidee (Secret of the Red Orchid) (subtitled) which has Christopher Lee and Klaus Kinski in it. I'm not that familiar with krimi so I don't know if this is a good example but I ended up with mixed feelings. The plot, about two Chicago gangsters relocating to London and each trying to run a protection racket on rich folks, is a little confusing at first but really wasn't too complicated. There is a kind of lighthearted touch to some of the characters that I didn't expect (one of the gangsters is henpecked and there is an obvious comic relief butler whose employers keep getting knocked off) and some of the action is a bit over the top. None of which made for a bad viewing experience but the more I think about it, the more this seems like a spoof of crime movies.

Speaking of the butler, there are five previews, including one for this film, on the disk and all of them have actor Eddie Arent who played the butler. Is he part of what makes a krimi a krimi?
I've got Volumes 1-8 and out of the 32 movies I've probably have watched around a dozen maybe. At least one out of each box, now that I've cracked Vol. 7. From what I've seen there are actors that will portray the same kind of character over multiple movies, and there's Siegfried Schürenberg who portrayed Sir John, a Scotland Yard police official over many Krimis. In the beginning at least a Krimi movie was based or "based" on a Edgar Winter work and that it is a lurid crime thriller with horror, camp or comedic elements (like the butler or Sir John). I'd say that a typical Krimi doesn't have the intensity and gore of the typical giallo, but the giallo won't go to some of the strange places a Krimi will. Wikipedia's got a nice write up if you want more info.
Old 03-09-17, 03:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I've got Volumes 1-8 and out of the 32 movies I've probably have watched around a dozen maybe. At least one out of each box, now that I've cracked Vol. 7. From what I've seen there are actors that will portray the same kind of character over multiple movies, and there's Siegfried Schürenberg who portrayed Sir John, a Scotland Yard police official over many Krimis. In the beginning at least a Krimi movie was based or "based" on a Edgar Winter work and that it is a lurid crime thriller with horror, camp or comedic elements (like the butler or Sir John). I'd say that a typical Krimi doesn't have the intensity and gore of the typical giallo, but the giallo won't go to some of the strange places a Krimi will. Wikipedia's got a nice write up if you want more info.
Were you listening to music while you were typing this?
Thanks for the information and I will check out the wiki article. I also plan to watch at least one more of these this month. From some reviews in various places it seems that Vol. 4 is the only other one that has English subs for all four movies and I couldn't find any info about Vol. 8 except that it has five films instead of the usual four - are there any English friendly movies on that one?
Thanks again!
Old 03-09-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Check your PMs. They turned out pretty good, actually.
Thanks again! The subs worked great.
Old 03-09-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by omike
Were you listening to music while you were typing this?
Thanks for the information and I will check out the wiki article. I also plan to watch at least one more of these this month. From some reviews in various places it seems that Vol. 4 is the only other one that has English subs for all four movies and I couldn't find any info about Vol. 8 except that it has five films instead of the usual four - are there any English friendly movies on that one?
Thanks again!
Three out of the five have English dubs and subs. Das Rätsel des silbernen Halbmonds (1971), Die Tote aus der Themse (1971), and Der Mann mit dem Glasauge (1968).
Old 03-10-17, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up in the middle of the night, and decided to get an early start to the Challenge today. I browsed the Dish Guide, and came across an episode of Steve's Outdoor Adventures, on the Sportsman Channel. He was in Utah hunting mule deer with a suppressor on his rifle.
Old 03-10-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I opened my new Petrocelli set last night. So far it's good, but not stellar. I wasn't sure if I'd still like it after all these years but it's not bad. It's definitely not one I can mega-marathon as there's lots of "sameness" to the episodes but I can watch 2-4 without zoning out. For some reason I'd recalled it being a Private Eye type program but he's a lawyer.
Old 03-10-17, 03:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Three out of the five have English dubs and subs. Das Rätsel des silbernen Halbmonds (1971), Die Tote aus der Themse (1971), and Der Mann mit dem Glasauge (1968).
Thanks for checking on this!
Old 03-10-17, 07:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Tonight, I'm finally crossing The Warriors off my movie bucket list.
Old 03-10-17, 08:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Tonight, I'm finally crossing The Warriors off my movie bucket list.
It's about time you came out to play.
Old 03-10-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got my copy of the Fast And Furious 7 Movie Collection in the mail today, and as an extra added bonus, the set includes both the theatrical and extended versions of Fast Five.
Old 03-10-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), at the local drive-in. It was the first movie at their new location in town. Haven't seen it in years and years. Still holds up wonderfully. Especially on a cool slightly cloudy night (rain held off thankfully).

I'll be catching the first two Harry Potter movies there Sunday night.
Old 03-10-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I just finished watching John Sturges' Never So Few, a war flick with a romance between brash Frank Sinatra and sexy Gina Lollobrigida. It didn't surprise me to find out that it was based on a book since it felt a bit overstuffed. There were so many characters and themes introduced that weren't as fleshed out as I would have liked. Still, it's always nice to see Sinatra in a movie as well as Steve McQueen. Also, Mako and George Takei play wounded soldiers and James Hong shows up as a Chinese general; both these things are very welcome!
Old 03-11-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I've had insomnia again tonight, I've been working on the Challenge most of the night. I figure, may as well take advantage of it. Just finished a good episode of O'Neill Outside, on the Hunt Channel, on Roku. He was down on a Georgia lake fishing for Largemouth Bass, on the day before opening day of deer season. I haven't caught a bass in years, but I love fishing for them.
Old 03-11-17, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In keeping with more outdoor adventures, I just finished an interesting episode of Kayak Bassin, in which the host was actually fishing for something other than bass. Instead, he was in the marshes of Louisiana, fishing for redfish, and he caught some pretty big ones too.
Old 03-11-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That reminds me - I still need to complain to WB that their DVD+digital four pack of Superman films leaves people without the "proper" Superman II...

Originally Posted by davidh777
To be clear, it's the years 1-7 digital collection that has only the extended versions of the first two films, but you can get the theatrical versions if you purchase the films separately. But yes, my Ultimate Edition BDs of those films have both versions, and it's generally uncommon to have both editions of a film in digital, though it does happen (like my copy of Batman vs. Superman).
It seems to be getting more common - I have six: Terminator 2, (new) Total Recall, (new) Ghostbusters, Huntsman: Winter's War, S v B and Suicide Squad... and Disney have alternate digital veraions through DMA for their mostrecent releases of B&B, Pinocchio and.. something else.

In fact, I'm thinking that everything released with alternate cuts in the last few years on discs doubled up on Vudu... which is very promising! As you say, there aren't that many multiple-version releases - the only other that springs to mind (in my limited interest/purchase purview) is Days of Future Past that had a moneygrab separate release for the Rogue Cut.

Last edited by ntnon; 03-11-17 at 09:39 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.