Old 01-31-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

And......the proud winners of a prize pack from Hamiltonbooks are:

KaBluie
Hyperweather
coyoteblue

Congratulations. And be sure to check your PMs.
Old 02-01-17, 12:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty

KaBluie
Hyperweather
coyoteblue

Thanks!
Old 02-01-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

PM sent. Thanks for everything!
Old 02-01-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Well I watched 200 entries for this challenge from 54 separate series from nine different decades. I watched 57 episodes from the 1950s and 69 episodes from the 1960s, making those the most-watched decades this month. I watched 148 American episodes, one from China, and 51 Japanese episodes, both live-action and animated. Total animated episodes: 30, all but one Japanese. And 55 TV western episodes.

I closed the day yesterday with an episode of “Riverboat” (1960) that guest-starred Suzanne Pleshette, who would have turned 80 yesterday. She plays a Cajun girl who thinks riverboat captain Darren McGavin is her fiancé and invites him to come home with her to her swamp village. Only they won't let him leave because they all want to humor her and make her happy.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-01-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

While my viewings were just a fraction of my previous two challenges, I still got in a lot of good watching.

Congrats to the prize winners, and thanks to shadokitty for hosting!
Old 02-01-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched more McHale's Navy S4 to finish. It's still a fun series - even if I did get a bit burned out on it as a kid (I distinctly recall feeling it was more of the same old/same old at the time). I think I like it better now than waaaaay back then (first run).

And I won't stop either. This is one of my favorite challenges and as I'm not a participant in the Academy Award challenge I can just continue to marathon TV shows. Lord knows I have more than enough waiting for me to get around to watching (three new R2 comedy series arrived in yesterday's mail)...

Congrats to the prize winners! When I checked the site today it took me below the notification of the winners. :/ Oh well... That's what happens when I update using several different systems, eh?

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-01-17 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yes, you should... and sooner rather than later. It's a very good series. One of the all-time classics.
Except now I won't get challenge credit unless I wait till November.
Old 02-01-17, 12:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Went crazy and watched much more TV than normal. Best find of the month was The Good Place, best new sitcom I've seen in years.
Old 02-01-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched more McHale's Navy S4 to finish. It's still a fun series - even if I did get a bit burned out on it as a kid (I distinctly recall feeling it was more of the same old/same old at the time). I think I like it better now than waaaaay back then (first run).

And I won't stop either. This is one of my favorite challenges and as I'm not a participant in the Academy Award challenge I can just continue to marathon TV shows. Lord knows I have more than enough waiting for me to get around to watching (three new R2 comedy series arrived in yesterday's mail)...

Congrats to the prize winners! When I checked the site today it took me below the notification of the winners. :/ Oh well... That's what happens when I update using several different systems, eh?
That sounds like me. While I am participating in the Academy Award Challenge, I'm not abandoning TV shows. I could do a year long TV Challenge if I really tried.
Old 02-01-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty

KaBluie
Hyperweather
coyoteblue

Sent!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly. And as a lucky happenstance, everyone got their first choice.

Myself, I plan to start watching super hero shows in anticipation of next month, so as I said my challenge is continuing. I had a coupon for 50% off of select seasons or series bundles on Google Play, and lo and behold, the Complete Series of Batman: The Animated Series was on the list, so I grabbed it for $30, and the digital series even included extras. And the Complete Series of Superman: The Animated Series is on Amazon Prime, but since I don't trust shows I want to keep watching to remain streaming forever, I plan to buy the DVD set of the series.
Old 02-01-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Great pickup for $30.
Old 02-01-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Except now I won't get challenge credit unless I wait till November.
Use it in the "Make your own" challenge in May. You could construct one of several themes so it'd be included.

Here are some ideas that would allow it to be viewed:

TV shows with women first billed
TV programs produced by MTM Enterprises (lots of variety there)
70s TV Comedy (limited to shows that had their complete run airing only in the 70s)
Broadcasting in TV shows (TMTMS, Newsradio, WKRP, and more)
TV shows about single women
Mary Tyler Moore in TV. You could work in some Dick Van Dyke with that one along with dozens of episodes from other TV shows on which she appeared.
And it ran for 7 seasons so make it the theme all by itself.
Old 02-01-17, 03:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Use it in the "Make your own" challenge in May. You could construct one of several themes so it'd be included.

70s TV Comedy (limited to shows that had their complete run airing only in the 70s)
Mary Tyler Moore in TV. You could work in some Dick Van Dyke with that one along with dozens of episodes from other TV shows on which she appeared.
That's a great idea for a month!

I'm curious about her variety show season that featured David Letterman and Michael Keaton in the cast.
Old 02-01-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks to shadokitty for hosting at to HamiltonBooks for their generosity in sponsoring our challenges here! Congrats to the winners!
Old 02-02-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I forgot about MYO! I'd be fine with using that by itself if that's my mood that month.
Old 02-03-17, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for another great challenge! I ended up watching 187 Hours worth, 2nd most i've done. I watched 50 episodes of Dallas and got burned out on in near the end lol. I ended with with watching most of S1 of The Wire. Now i'm gonna try the Academy Challenge, i just wish they didn't overlap.
Old 02-04-17, 10:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I accomplished my goal of watching a few complete series runs of shows that have a bigger number seasons. It was quite an experience... very immersive. I found myself thinking about the show throughout the day, quoting dialogue at work and even picking up the accent of the characters.... a total blast, I highly recommend it!

On a separate note, check out the DVD deals section: DeepDiscount is having a buy one get one free sale on a lot of Paramount TV sets, including a lot of complete series sets!
Old 02-04-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Complete Series of Superman: The Animated Series came in the mail. So now I own both Batman, and Superman. Looking forward to breaking it open.
Old 02-07-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Prizes are on the way folks, sorry it took so long. There is a little something TV extra in each pack, each different. Thanks to Shado for running the challenge!
Old 02-07-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for sponsoring, Golden Wheels and Hamilton!
Old 02-09-17, 03:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good challenge. I watched a good quantity and variety of shows, although I always hope to get more in. I had to perform triage at the end, leaving the finishing of mystery and animation seasons and series for March and April. I'm slowly finishing Country Princess this month (the third Korean drama series that I've watched) and will probably finish the first season of Hung after that, since it will be quite a while before another challenge that it qualifies for comes around.

Looking forward to continuing Castle, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Hannibal and Better Call Saul next month, as well as Breaking Bad and possibly Peaky Blinders and Ripper Street. So I've already got enough lined up for the entire month without considering the movies that I want to watch.

I was thinking of TV comedy for Make Your Own Challenge, but realized that I need to do historical TV. I have the Korean TV drama Jumong (81 episodes). I should be able to finish it if I focus on it during May and June. My son and I watched the first four episodes on broadcast TV, and enjoyed it. Perhaps I should read a little about Korean history first.
Old 02-09-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad people enjoyed the Challenge last month. I'm still in TV mode and am continuing my Challenge this month, since I'm not doing very much in the current challenge. For DVDs, I'm currently revisiting Planet Earth, and am enjoying it just as much now as when I first watched it. Thinking of watching some Battlestar Galactica sometime, in memory of the recent passing of Richard Hatch. Also still working my way through Ancient Aliens. Don't know if I'll buy any seasons past 6, since from 7 on the prices skyrocket, and all of the seasons are available on demand on the History Channel On Roku.
Old 02-12-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Prizes are on the way folks, sorry it took so long. There is a little something TV extra in each pack, each different. Thanks to Shado for running the challenge!
They came yesterday!

Thanks GoldenWheels & shadokitty!
Old 02-12-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still in TV mode here...

I watched my R2 copy of Man About the House. It was pretty good and a much better program than its US offspring, Three's Company. I also discovered the latter lifted several storylines from the original.

I also finally watched Galactica 1980. It's quite obvious why it was cancelled. They have the ability to time travel, have a wrist communicator which makes them invisible, due to lower gravity on Earth they can run faster, jump higher, hit harder then Earthmen, have motorcycles that can fly (and turn invisible). It's farfetched to the point of being rather silly and totally unbelievable. Stories are mostly improbable and frequently don't stick to what they put forth as the episode plot. It's very inconsistent. The best episode was the last which is really a episode about Starbuck and what happened to him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.