Reload this Page >

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Old 01-16-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

^ I wish I had known about that deal before, as it is too late to cancer the order now. I was looking forward to getting it, so for once, I forgoed the slow shipping, in favor of the 2 day shipping.

Just finished the second part of 'Lost Planet Of The Gods', and so far, I'm really enjoying the original Battlestar Galactica. Only seen the mini series so far in the new series, but I loved it, so I have high hopes for the rest of the series.

Also, I have a question that has been weighing on me, I realize I am the host, but would a documentary on Galacticon count, since it is a Battlestar Galactica convention?
Old 01-16-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

^Oh well... Still, it's a better price than the US version and is a far better package (standard cases in a nice, sturdy, outer box).

I'd say "yes" on the Galacticon documentary as it's a "based on a TV show" event.
Old 01-16-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Oh well... Still, it's a better price than the US version and is a far better package (standard cases in a nice, sturdy, outer box).

I'd say "yes" on the Galacticon documentary as it's a "based on a TV show" event.
I kind of thought that too, about the documentary, but wanted to ask here first. And yes, you are right, $37 is much better than $117. And having it on Blu Ray is much better than just having the digital seasons.
Old 01-17-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Slow day at work yesterday - MLK Day and everyone was out but my department. Being slow, I watched a couple of episodes of the Amazon series The Man in the High Castle. It's based on a work of Philip K. Dick, a author whose work I greatly enjoy, although I've never read that particular story. I've had it on my "watchlist" for some time but just never made time for it. Got that fixed. It's quite interesting so far and I see that it got a 2nd season. Still no physical media release though... I'd much rather have that than stream it. Oh well... at least it's available for now. I just need to make time for it between episodes of Lost in Space. Since it's of the new breed of "continuing story" series I'll have to keep going or start all over in a few months...
Old 01-17-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I'm currently working on a few different series at the moment right now, my main ones I am focusing on are Season 5 of Ancient Aliens. I started that last night, and am finally into episodes I've never seen before. I'm also currently working on both the original, and sampling episodes of the new Battlestar Galactica, in preparation for receiving my Blu Ray set tomorrow. It is interesting comparing the original with the new series, and I enjoy them both. They each have their differences, but the new series remains true to the spirit of the original, so fans of one will most likely enjoy the other.

I'm also working on a new nature series on Netflix, 72 Cutest Animals. I've only seen one episode so far, but I really enjoyed it. Plus I have a new series from Netflix DVD's to work on, Prehistoric America. Prehistoric times have always interested me, and even though I've only seen one episode so far, it was very good. Not surprising, since it is a BBC documentary.
Old 01-18-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started today's challenge viewing with an episode of Winchester And Drury's Natural Born, on the Pursuit Channel. It showed a few different hunts, both turkey hunts, and even a whitetail deer hunt in Missouri with a father and son.

Then I moved on to Ancient Aliens, with an interesting episode about the Nazca Lines.
Old 01-18-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Mission Impossible... The Mind of Stefan Miklos was a nice and clever idea, well executed.

The Adventures of Tintin is always enjoyable, too.
Old 01-20-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like some David Attenborough, so brought out my Blu Ray set of Frozen Planet, and just watched the first episode. I enjoyed it now just as much as when I first bought it. But then, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad BBC Nature documentary.
Old 01-20-17, 09:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I finished my rewatch of Twin Peaks and the movie today in anticipation of the new series in May. That actually was my last thing from my initial goals that I needed to watch, so not sure where I will go with the remaining week and a half of the challenge. There's never any shortage of stuff to watch. I did pick up Smiley's People which is a follow-up to the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy mini-series, so I will definitely at least watch that.
Old 01-21-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an interesting episode of Ancient Aliens, about the ancient megaliths. I don't accept their theories without question, but the show is interesting in that it really makes a person think.
Old 01-21-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still working my way through Lost in Space and am about 2/3 the way through S2. Man... I'd forgotten how bad some of the S2 episodes are! I don't know where all the budget went (~$1 million per episode in today's dollars) but it certainly didn't go for sets. Most episodes have sets that are nothing more than props and/or curtains on a "black out" stage. The planet bound sets look to be the ones they've used since S1 with minor redressing to create different areas of the planet. In spite of the "bad" scripts it's still a fun program but I wish it'd not fallen victim to the general trend that year of attempting to duplicate the "camp" aspect of Batman.

I'm also working my way through The Man in the High Castle. It's still pretty good but feels like it's moving rather slowly. There've been a few interesting twists to the plot for which I'm curious to see how they play out. I'm also finding I wish I'd read the novel upon which it's based. I know it's not fully faithful but I'd like to have read it to spot what's different.
Old 01-21-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I've been working my way through the new Battlestar Galactica, and so far, am quite impressed with the series. Before I started the series, I didn't know how I'd like it, having been a fan of the original. But I think it is safe to say that it definitely lives up to my expectations. I enjoy the fact that it has an overreaching story arc, for one thing. I also have to say, the picture quality on Blu Ray is superb.
Old 01-22-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the new Battlestar Galactica during its original run and purchased the DVDs as they came out. I really enjoyed the series and thought the ending was good, although somewhat predictable.

I'd planned on watching my new BR set of it this "season" but due to purchasing Lost in Space, which has reports of possible disc issues, I put Galactica on the back burner to vet the LiS discs. While I'm enjoying LiS, S2 is really tough to marathon due to the overuse of Dr. Smith. I think it'd work better if only 1 or 2 episodes were viewed per week. They *really* should have kept the themes of the first half of S1, not used Dr. Smith as the main focus of most episodes, and not attempted to camp it up. I need to show this one to my grandson as he'd be a better barometer of the series as it *was* mostly aimed at his age group for S2.
Old 01-22-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

So far I’ve seen episodes from 46 distinct and separate series, including episodes from five series I never saw before: Tombstone Territory, Ironside, Adam-12, Rockford Files, and Ultraman Tiga, not to mention the premieres of the new Pokémon and Power Rangers seasons: Power Rangers Ninja Steel and Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon. I’ve reconnected with series from childhood, including Perry Mason and the modern western about a cowboy pilot, Sky King, both of which hold up very well. I watched some episodes of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” as a pre-challenge warm-up and intend to watch more, but those haven’t held up.

My list post is #26 at the top of page 2.

It was fun spotting Christopher Walken as a 19-year-old in Naked City and as 26-year-old in Hawaii Five-0.

Old 01-22-17, 08:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

^ I love catches like that Ash, cool!
Old 01-23-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Montana sure has some beautiful country. I just watched an episode of Greg Zipadelli's Drop Zone, on the Outdoor Channel, where he was in Montana, bowhunting on a rancher's property for pronghorn. There were two bagged. He wanted to hunt for some whitetail as well, but the wind wouldn't cooperate. Finally, at the end, in order to pay the rancher back for letting them hunt on his property, they helped to herd his cattle.
Old 01-23-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So far I’ve seen episodes from 46 distinct and separate series, including episodes from five series I never saw before: Tombstone Territory, Ironside, Adam-12, Rockford Files, and Ultraman Tiga, not to mention the premieres of the new Pokémon and Power Rangers seasons: Power Rangers Ninja Steel and Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon. I’ve reconnected with series from childhood, including Perry Mason and the modern western about a cowboy pilot, Sky King, both of which hold up very well. I watched some episodes of “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” as a pre-challenge warm-up and intend to watch more, but those haven’t held up.

My list post is #26 at the top of page 2.

It was fun spotting Christopher Walken as a 19-year-old in Naked City and as 26-year-old in Hawaii Five-0.
Spoiler:

You've reminded me I've yet to open my Rockford Files set (I purchased it to get SS S1 discs and the 2 movie sets - I already had the rest but it was actually *less* expensive to do that than purchase the standalone S1 and movies collections). I'd tried *three* times to get playable copies of the flippy version of S1 to no avail and hadn't watched *any* of the other seasons waiting for S1. Also some Perry Mason to watch and that Naked City set to dive into. I watched a couple of episodes when I first got it (I really liked the ones I watched) but then left it for a "better" time. That's one I never saw growing up as it came on too late and was too "mature" for my age group. Being young kids we were very literal and thought the program had "nekkid" people in it, which was what kept us from being able to watch it! I also have S1 of Hawaii Five-0. Looks like I already have a lineup for the Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge... Those 4 would make a very good core grouping.

I watched S1 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. a few years back and really enjoyed it (I'd watched it first run and loved it back then). I've not yet made it to S2 but *do* remember it starting to go downhill after S1 (that danged Batman program and its impact on other TV shows... - Don't get me wrong - I *love* Batman, then and now, but lament what it caused to happen to dozens of TV programs back then). It'd fit the AACM Challenge as well...

So... what did you think about Rockford Files and Hawaii Five-0 after all those years?
Old 01-23-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Slow day at work yesterday - MLK Day and everyone was out but my department. Being slow, I watched a couple of episodes of the Amazon series The Man in the High Castle. It's based on a work of Philip K. Dick, a author whose work I greatly enjoy, although I've never read that particular story. I've had it on my "watchlist" for some time but just never made time for it. Got that fixed. It's quite interesting so far and I see that it got a 2nd season. Still no physical media release though... I'd much rather have that than stream it. Oh well... at least it's available for now. I just need to make time for it between episodes of Lost in Space. Since it's of the new breed of "continuing story" series I'll have to keep going or start all over in a few months...
I watched the first season last year, and yeah, very few Amazon series have received physical releases (Transparent is the only one that comes immediately to mind). They could easily do it with their own make-on-demand service, but I think they find a studio partner who can not only manufacture it, but market it as well.

Originally Posted by ntnon
The Adventures of Tintin is always enjoyable, too.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I also have to say, the picture quality on Blu Ray is superb.
I should sample my UK discs either this month or in March.
Old 01-24-17, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So... what did you think about Rockford Files and Hawaii Five-0 after all those years?
I actually never watched a complete episode of "Rockford Files" before this challenge. It's entertaining. The plots are standard, but the casts are good and Garner is appealing, playing a private eye character tailored to his strengths as an actor and TV personality and following on his portrayal of Philip Marlowe in MARLOWE (1969).

I never watched "Hawaii Five-0" much back in the day, only a couple times in reruns much later. It's an entertaining show, but the plots are generally pretty hokey. A bank robbery episode with William Windom was pretty good and the one with Christopher Walken as the shore patrolman was good for the way it dealt with the Native Hawaiian population and got local Hawaiians to play the parts, rather than white guys in makeup. In a couple of episodes I've watched, they got white actors (including Spock's father, Mark Lenard) to play Japanese, even though they had plenty of Asian actors on hand to play other roles. James Hong and Philip Ahn were both in episodes I've seen, so why couldn't they have gotten Japanese actors to play Japanese? I find it frustrating, because it's so sloppy. The practice looks and sounds terrible and must have looked bad even then.
Old 01-24-17, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think today will be a day to concentrate mainly on outdoor shows. I haven't sat down and did a marathon of them in a good long time. Already watched a few this morning.
Old 01-24-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today, January 24, would have been the 100th birthday of Ernest Borgnine. There are episodes of "McHale's Navy" on YouTube. I watched some of those for a previous challenge and found them hilarious. He did a lot of TV movies and TV show appearances. I have one of the Dirty Dozen TV movies on Blu-ray and will get that one out.

Old 01-24-17, 06:48 PM

I think I accidentally got in a double credit item tonight. Sort of a fudge perhaps, but I'm counting it in both Challenges. It's the TV teleplay of Marty, which led to the Oscar-winning film version the next year. They had the same writer, director, and at least one cast member.
Old 01-24-17, 06:49 PM

And cool, just noticed the partial connection with Ash's last post.
Old 01-25-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing of many things I enjoy about Hulu, is the fact that UFC shows are on there. If I am in the mood for some UFC, but just want a quick fix, instead of turning on UFC Fight Pass, I can just browse Hulu. I just finished an episode of UFC Unleashed right now, as an example.
Old 01-25-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Very sad news: Mary Tyler Moore has passed away. She was 80.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.