TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Old 01-08-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've always thought it started to go downhill when Sabrina graduated HS and went to college. They took out quite a bit of what had made it fun. I *think* that happens in S5 but it's been toooooo long and I've not really looked it up.

I got that full series for the same reason you're debating. I "needed" 3 seasons to complete the series and it was less expensive to purchase the full series than those 3 seasons. Since I'm left with stand-alone releases of S1-S4 I'll likely give them to my granddaughters - especially the 5 year old since she's the one who asks to watch it on a regular basis.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had a similar thought about my nieces. If I go for the full series set, I think I can save a little space and pass on my previous seasons to my nieces who probably would enjoy at least the beginning of the show.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Around there, yes. I've not watched much of those last few seasons because it really doesn't seem as good. Looks like very little Harvey, no Libby and not much (if any) Martin Mull.

On the other hand, Kate Jackson turned up for a Christmas episode..
I think this is why I kind of stopped watching. I missed Harvey and her best friend and even Libby. Plus, the aunts just got treated very oddly. Every season it seemed like they were in a different career and it just didn't make sense.
Old 01-09-17, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've been up since the middle of the night, since I couldn't sleep, so been working on the Challenge. I discovered that GetTV has old episodes of Riptide, which I hadn't seen in years. I also watched an episode of Wonders Of The Solar System, a BBC Earth documentary that I got from Netflix. Something seems up with my Netflix queue however. I was supposed to get two DVD's, and I only got one.
Old 01-09-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I think this is why I kind of stopped watching. I missed Harvey and her best friend and even Libby. Plus, the aunts just got treated very oddly. Every season it seemed like they were in a different career and it just didn't make sense.
That sounds like why I pretty much stopped, or payed it less attention, during the original run. It just changed too much.

I just finished a "first time" viewing of the WS version of the 1978 Battlestar Galactica pilot film. It actually frames pretty good, but that can be that it was filmed with the intention of creating a theatrical release from the footage. It also looks very good - other than some scenes with *lots* of grain/noise. In all fairness, those scenes were noisy on the FS version too so it's not something caused by the WS processing. I'll watch more episodes as the month progresses to see if the others hold up as well in WS transfers.

I've been watching S4 of Cheers as one of my comedy selections. It's as funny and good as it was during the original run. Of course it helps that I've not seen the series in over a decade.

I've found I appreciate, and enjoy, most series more if I wait a year or more between viewings. That's what makes having a good collection from which to pull a delight. I'm not beholden to what programmers want me to see and can set my own schedule for repeats.
Old 01-10-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching TV with our resident this morning, and she enjoys outdoor shows, so I started today's viewing with that. Earlier today, I watched an episode of Alaska Outdoors TV, on the Outdoor Channel, in which the host went on a moose hunt, and had a close call with a moose when he was packing his moose out. A big bull heard the antlers hitting tree branches and came running, looking for a fight, convinced that he heard another bull.

After that, I turned it on Pursuit Channel, and tuned into an episode of Scott Linden's Wingshooting USA, in which they went on a pheasant hunt.
Old 01-10-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 seasons ago, I stopped watching Bones half way through the season as it got very conspiracy theory and I just lost interest. End of last spring, I slogged through the last half but stopped at the end of it. With it being the last season, and a shortened one at that, I figured it would be a good time to just finish it up.

I'm actually pretty impressed with it. The first two episodes went back to that conspiracy theory type of show-Booth is considered a bad guy by the FBI again, go figure-but after that, it's gone back to the individual episodes where the case revolves around the dead body. It's what I've been missing in the last couple seasons, to be honest. It's what they are good at and I hope the last season stays with that format.

Anyway, I've watched 6 of them now and plan on watching more, and hopefully finishing the season this week.
Old 01-10-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Battlestar Galactica... Just because I have them I'll screen a few WS converted episodes but have read they're worse looking than the original FS. I'll also break down and finally watch Galactica 1980 so I can shelf this set (I got the "deluxe" one with FS & WS editions of both series).
I don't know what those folks who said the WS version of Galactica looks worse than the FS are coming from... I've watched the first 3 episodes in WS format and am currently watching E4. The ones I've watched look just as good as the FS versions and are framed nicely for WS. So far there have been no "overly tight" shots or cut off heads - at least none that are distracting. That could change over the course of the series but I'm finding it more than acceptable and may make it my "go to" version for the future.

I kind of surprise myself saying that since I'm a adamant OAR person and don't like framing tinkered with. BUT I've noticed quite a few older TV programs are properly framed using the 1/3 rule for shot composition which makes cropping to WS work, for the most part. I've watched a few series "zoomed" to fit the width of the set, cropping the top/bottom, and surprisingly, with only a few exceptions, most look quite good done that way. The experience is certainly changing my mind for many TV shows being converted to WS. Of course I'm only in favor of this *if* the original 3:4 version is also available so that you have a choice of format. The exact reason I purchased the "Ultimate" version of Galactica (the regular BR release is WS only) as it contains both versions.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-11-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've really gotten into Bones. This penultimate season is really good. I haven't enjoyed it this much in a long time. Just in time for it to end this year! There's been one real dud (Meninist) and a couple eh ones (the first and second of the season) but the rest have been really good.
Old 01-12-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like watching sports, so I tuned into tonight's episode of Inside College Basketball, on CBS Sports Network. For only a half hour show, it covered a lot of the games that were played tonight, and offered in depth analysis.
Old 01-12-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a moving episode of Outdoor Dreams TV. The Outdoor Dreams Foundation is an organization that takes children with terminal illnesses on their dream hunts, and this particular episode showed three different hunts. One was a moose hunt in Idaho, then it showed a boy going on a turkey hunt in Florida, and finally, it showed a Mule Deer hunt in Wyoming, followed by a trip to Yellowstone. This was on the Pursuit Channel.
Old 01-12-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Well, I've finished my box set of Season One / Volume One of Perry Mason, the first 19 episodes. Now I need to see more. It's addictive. The shows are incredibly engaging, with fast-paced, imaginative--if often thoroughly absurd--plots, very good actors and very sharp direction by seasoned pros like Lewis Allen, Laslo Benedek, Ted Post and Christian Nyby.

I watched this series as a child and I can see why the whole family was engrossed in it at 7:30PM every Saturday night on CBS. Even if my five-year-old mind (58 years ago!) couldn't grasp the fine legal points, the emotions were very clear and the underdogs (defendants) and bullies (the D.A. and Lt. Tragg) were very sharply defined.

Of course, if you're Mason's client, you'd better be honest with him at all times. You wouldn't want him looking at you like this, would you?

This is from "The Case of the Cautious Coquette," which I watched today, and the actress is Kipp Hamilton.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-12-17 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My latest blog entry, devoted to TV actors from the golden age who are still working, was inspired by my viewing for this challenge.

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/...he-golden-age/

Recognize this one?

Old 01-13-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

After watching a couple Lindy Booth Hallmark Christmas movies, I watched a random episode of The Librarians (season 2, ep 1). It was entertaining in a fun and mindless way, but I don't need to add it to my watch queue (I've seen a couple of the movies).

After finishing Outlander season 1 and starting Mozart in the Jungle season 3, I'm working through The Affair season 2. Great show.
Old 01-13-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Towards the middle of Season 2 and start of Season 3, the acting in Mission: Impossible seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I'm wondering if it's simply more noticeable as Willy and Barney are given more to do (i.e. say), but that seems a little harsh...
Old 01-13-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished off season 11 of Bones. I really enjoyed it. They really went back to their roots, I think, with the last full season. The last episode was a cliffhanger so I'm glad I had waited until I had the first 2 episodes of season 12 to watch. I'm a bit sad that it's down to the last ten episodes of the series...

With that out of the way, I need to figure out what I'm going to focus/binge on next. I do have some Trek I keep on saying I'll watch. It might be finally time to pull out ST: Enterprise. That being said, I'm still figuring out what I'll be in the mood for next.
Old 01-13-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I finished the first season of Wonder Woman and am excited to see what the next season holds. I've read that they moved it from WWII to the 1970s so that'll be interesting. I watched the first episode of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events and was charmed. It's much better than the previous film and captures the spirit and tone of the books.
Old 01-14-17, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished Season 3 of Ancient Aliens tonight, and while I was still trying to decide what DVD or Digital Series that I own I want to work on next, I decided to put on an episode of Dogfights. The next episode happened to be one of my favorite episodes, about the Flying Tigers. That episode always held a special place in my heart because when I was in the Air Force, I worked on the A-10's of the Flying Tigers.
Old 01-14-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Insomnia often means I get a lot of entries watched. I officially started for the day at 3 AM, even though I have been watching things since I woke up at 11 last night. I've watched a hunting show, where the host went on a black bear hunt in Saskatchewan, and got up real close. Too close for my comfort level if it had been me. I've watched a couple fishing shows. One where the hosts were in Costa Rica, fishing for something called a Pargo Seda, a very pretty red colored fish, and an episode of FLW Outdoors, which showed the National College Fishing Championship. I also decided on what season to work on next, and started Season 4 of Ancient Aliens, the first two episodes of which were about the Mayans. Finally, since I love horse racing, I watched a couple of the Breeder's Cup replays, on TVG2.
Old 01-14-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In rewatching the original Battlestar Galactica episodes "War of the Gods: Part 1/2" (I'm watching the WS versions) it dawned on me that Count Iblis, from a superior race of beings, is *very* similar to the "Q" from ST:TNG. It made me wonder if that's were the original creator of "Q" got the idea. I liked those episodes about as much as I like the "Q" ones - not much.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-14-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-14-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve been watching TV episodes from 1957 (“Perry Mason” and “Tales of Wells Fargo”) and 1967 (“Ironside,” “Star Trek,” “Dragnet 1967,” “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,” “Ultra Seven”), unconsciously celebrating their 60th and 50th anniversaries. Now I want to see more from those years. (Not as interested in 1977 or 1987, etc.) I especially want to seek out TV movies from 1967, since that was the first year where TV movies became a part of the network schedules in a big way. I know I have a few on tape, like the WINCHESTER ’73 remake.

Last night I watched the first “Star Trek” episode I ever saw, “Catspaw" (original airdate: October 27, 1967), which had a black cat-and-human superstitions theme, making it perfect for the first Friday the 13th of the year.

Old 01-14-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Lost in Space Complete Series BR arrived today so I've put everything else on the back burner while I watch this one. So far I'm quite pleased. The PQ is a significant upgrade over the DVDs.
Old 01-16-17, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

With what I watched yesterday, I have already topped last year's total. I don't think I will reach my highest number, but I should definitely come close.
Old 01-16-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been watching a lot of outdoor shows this morning, and just finished a particularly good episode of Addictive Fishing Television, on the Pursuit Channel. The host was at Baffin Bay in Texas, fishing for Redfish, and Sea Trout. Until I started watching this show last year, I didn't even know sea trout existed. But I'd love to catch one though.
Old 01-16-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found the UK region free release of the complete series of the new Battlestar Galactica, on Amazon for only $37 for Blu Ray, so I jumped at the chance to upgrade from the digital seasons to Blu Ray. I also ordered The Plan, on Blu Ray, as from what I could understand in the comments, while Razor was included, The Plan was not. Since I have a digital copy of Blood And Chrome, I now have the complete series, and all movies. I just wish there was a way to get the webisodes I read about. And since I have a Digital copy of the original Battlestar Galactica, all I'm lacking now, is Galactica 1980.
Old 01-16-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Prizes have been chosen.

Prize Pack 1: The Odyssey & Bewitched Seasons 3 & 4

Prize Pack 2: Miami Vice Season 1 & The Abbott And Costello Show Second Season

Prize Pack 3: Maude Season 1 & Murder, She Wrote Complete First Season

Prize winners will be determined by random.org.

You only have to have a numbered list to be eligible, and live in the United States.

Many thanks to Goldenwheels for providing these wonderful prizes.
Old 01-16-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I found the UK region free release of the complete series of the new Battlestar Galactica, on Amazon for only $37 for Blu Ray, so I jumped at the chance to upgrade from the digital seasons to Blu Ray. I also ordered The Plan, on Blu Ray, as from what I could understand in the comments, while Razor was included, The Plan was not. Since I have a digital copy of Blood And Chrome, I now have the complete series, and all movies. I just wish there was a way to get the webisodes I read about. And since I have a Digital copy of the original Battlestar Galactica, all I'm lacking now, is Galactica 1980.
If you can, you *may* want to cancel that "Amazon" order for the new BSG and get it from Amazon.uk instead. It's currently $28.73 w/shipping (using Amazon's currency converter). It'll take a bit longer to get to you but you can save a few $$...

And, yes, "Razor" is included in the full series (both original broadcast and extended versions) with "The Plan" not in the overall package.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.