Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Help! To catch a killer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! To catch a killer

Hello!

I've been searching on the Internet for days now so here goes maybe there are some true detectives in here!?

It's about a dvd release To catch a killer, released by Image Entertainment in 1999 in a snapper case version. And according to cduniverse it's released in 2003 in keep case. But according to people here in Sweden it's only been released as a snapcase. Because that's what Image entertainment said when a person here contacted them. But I don't believe thats the case.

So my question is if there is a second release of the movie, the reason I ask is because I have the keep case version and it's look so legit and not a Bootleg. It's over 7gb in size like the original release, it's identified as To Catch A Killer in the program dvdprofiler. So can you help me answer this question. I've tried to contact Image entertainment but no reply.

Please help me out

Best regards / Michael
Old 12-03-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Help! To catch a killer

Sorry, I can't answer your question conclusively, but I imagine yours in a keep case is fully legit and that the reference to a snap case is erroneous. I take it it's a two-sided DVD rather than 2 DVDs?

I wish I had bought this years ago, but I was remiss. I have this great film on LD, and would like to get it on DVD, but not for $150. Image should re-issue it.
Old 12-04-16, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Sorry, I can't answer your question conclusively, but I imagine yours in a keep case is fully legit and that the reference to a snap case is erroneous. I take it it's a two-sided DVD rather than 2 DVDs?

I wish I had bought this years ago, but I was remiss. I have this great film on LD, and would like to get it on DVD, but not for $150. Image should re-issue it.

Thanks for your answer

I also checked the dvd in Nero info tool and its confirmed as a dual layer disc with copy protection. Much is saying it's legit but it would be great with some source or evidence to clear my question so I can show this people here that I got the real deal

BTW I found my copy in a second hand store for a dollar So I am happy
Old 12-04-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If Image did a second printing of this in 2003, it was probably in a regular keepcase. Snapper cases were phased out around that time.
Old 12-04-16, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If Image did a second printing of this in 2003, it was probably in a regular keepcase. Snapper cases were phased out around that time.
Okey thanks, the problem is that I can't find any information about that release. But I'm really sure that it is a legit copy, but I want some source on that haha do you know who maybe has the answer? Maybe some expert you know about? Obviously image should know. Maybe I get an answer from image.
Old 12-04-16, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume

My copy is not 2 sided, it's a single disc dual layer
Old 12-04-16, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, do you have a bet riding on this?

I do not own this DVD and am not familiar with the film, but have every reason to believe your keepcase is legitimate. Some context clues:

1) Image repackaged lots of movies from snap cases to keep cases in the early years of DVD. (Warner Brothers did, too.) This is the one example I own:

2) Counterfeit DVD's are almost always single layer, perhaps because of the time or expense needed to do it properly. Several counterfeit/bootleg threads on DVDTalk discuss this, and I was involved in one just a couple months ago: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-sold-out.html

3) DVDCompare.net lists the movie as sold in a keepcase: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=23654 . It also lists it as PAL format (??), but perhaps we can forgive a technical mistake more easily than a physical mistake?

[some more thinking...]

4) I may have just found a definitive answer. See http://www.cdcovers.cc/view/131387/f...catch-a-killer . Is this your movie? The cover obviously did not come from a snap case! BTW, they also have a Swedish version: http://www.cdcovers.cc/view/131388/f...custom-swedish .

If I may, might you know a legitimate source for the Russian movie "The Irony of Fate", another Image DVD that has nearly disappeared from the US market? See https://www.amazon.com/Irony-Fate-En.../dp/B0000714AW . I realize it's a totally different county, but you are much closer to the action.
Old 12-04-16, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by thetao
Out of curiosity, do you have a bet riding on this?

I do not own this DVD and am not familiar with the film, but have every reason to believe your keepcase is legitimate. Some context clues:

1) Image repackaged lots of movies from snap cases to keep cases in the early years of DVD. (Warner Brothers did, too.) This is the one example I own:

2) Counterfeit DVD's are almost always single layer, perhaps because of the time or expense needed to do it properly. Several counterfeit/bootleg threads on DVDTalk discuss this, and I was involved in one just a couple months ago:

3) DVDCompare.net lists the movie as sold in a keepcase: . It also lists it as PAL format (??), but perhaps we can forgive a technical mistake more easily than a physical mistake?

[some more thinking...]

4) I may have just found a definitive answer. . Is this your movie? The cover obviously did not come from a snap case! BTW, they also have a Swedish version: .

If I may, might you know a legitimate source for the Russian movie "The Irony of Fate", another Image DVD that has nearly disappeared from the US market? . I realize it's a totally different county, but you are much closer to the action.

Thank you for your help

First of all no bets are on we are just struggling if it's a fake or not.

Dvdcompare lists it as PAL and mine is pal, Nero tool identifies it as regionfree, maybe a misprint on the disc I don't know. but says ntsc region 1 on disc. Just like the one you linked to, it's looks just like min. Cover is spot on so are the disc.

The Swedish release you linked to is VHS

Great information, I really appreciate it

Sorry but I have no idea about irony of fate :/, but I can check it out and see if I find something

Apologies for my English grammar