Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Since I was told I should give the live action Grinch a second chance, I popped it on the tv today while I was doing a Lego project. I will say it's not as bad as I remember, but still pretty bad. I still dislike Carrey as the Grinch. The visuals are really well done, but I don't like how they made the Who-vians have to learn the meaning of Christmas. They already know; it's the Grinch that needs help. I do like how Cindy Lou Who is the one that connects with the Grinch and brings him the true meaning of Christmas.

So, still dislike the movie, but I did appreciate it more than I did the first time I watched it, though not by much.
Old 12-06-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by LJG765
Since I was told I should give the live action Grinch a second chance, I popped it on the tv today while I was doing a Lego project. I will say it's not as bad as I remember, but still pretty bad. I still dislike Carrey as the Grinch. The visuals are really well done, but I don't like how they made the Who-vians have to learn the meaning of Christmas. They already know; it's the Grinch that needs help. I do like how Cindy Lou Who is the one that connects with the Grinch and brings him the true meaning of Christmas.

So, still dislike the movie, but I did appreciate it more than I did the first time I watched it, though not by much.
Glad you gave it a 2nd shot, I still love it. I might watch it this weekend, though I really like Jim Carrey too. Thought he was a great choice for the role, but to each his own.
Old 12-07-16, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Glad you gave it a 2nd shot, I still love it. I might watch it this weekend, though I really like Jim Carrey too. Thought he was a great choice for the role, but to each his own.
That is very true! To each their own! I'm glad I gave it another shot because I did find it a lot more watchable than I remembered, but there were just enough things that make me cringe. But, I'm sure there are several movies I love that you probably dislike as well! I don't think I've hid my love for cheesy Hallmark movies. Don't know why I like them, they generally are fairly one note and easy to predict, but I guess I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I do know they are not everyone's cup of tea!
Old 12-07-16, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Speaking of second chances, on Christmas Eve, I plan to give It's A Wonderful Life another chance. I had planned to watch it Saturday night, but I was exhausted, and slept till midnight.
Old 12-07-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched a great Christmas concert, on Dish Studio, Faith Hill: Joy To The World. She has a beautiful voice, and I think it showed particularly well in her rendition of 'Away In A Manger'.
Old 12-08-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

After watching both A Muppet Family Christmas, and John Denver and The Muppets- A Christmas Together. It feels like neither one has a plot, I loved getting to watch them on youtube since they could never get a dvd release, but they were really made just for the songs. I grew up with the Muppets and John Denver album on vinyl and then the cd, I never knew there was a Christmas Special from it.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-08-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus the other day solely because it was based on L. Frank Baum's (author of The Wizard of Oz) book about how Santa came to be. Robby Benson voiced the young Santa in this one which also helped. I'd give it a solid 3.5 out of 5. It sort of followed the book, was entertaining and was a decent length. Animation was alright as well. I have yet to see the Rankin/Bass version from the 80s, but this one is worth the watch if you spot it showing somewhere.
Old 12-10-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished my annual viewing of Frosty The Snowman. I know an encore presentation was going to be on CBS tonight, but I had plans to watch something else at the time, so I looked on YouTube, and found it on there. It's one of my favorite Rankin Bass specials.
Old 12-10-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just finished my annual viewing of Frosty The Snowman. I know an encore presentation was going to be on CBS tonight, but I had plans to watch something else at the time, so I looked on YouTube, and found it on there. It's one of my favorite Rankin Bass specials.
Frosty is one of my favorites too. Have you ever watched the three sequels? Frosty's Winter Wonderland, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July and Frosty Returns? Frosty Returns actually may be my absolute favorite of them all. I enjoy John Goodman as Frosty and the cheesy songs.
Old 12-10-16, 04:31 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Talk about ghosts of Christmas past, I just watched Rich Little's A Christmas Carol. Probably haven't seen that in over 30 years.
Old 12-10-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frosty is one of my favorites too. Have you ever watched the three sequels? Frosty's Winter Wonderland, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July and Frosty Returns? Frosty Returns actually may be my absolute favorite of them all. I enjoy John Goodman as Frosty and the cheesy songs.
Yeah, I've seen all 3 of them, and I love them all.

I just finished the three episode series, Toy Trains & Christmas, on Amazon Prime. I loved the series, but then I have a soft spot in my heart for electric trains, and I think toy trains and Christmas go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Old 12-10-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

That is very true! To each their own! I'm glad I gave it another shot because I did find it a lot more watchable than I remembered, but there were just enough things that make me cringe. But, I'm sure there are several movies I love that you probably dislike as well! I don't think I've hid my love for cheesy Hallmark movies. Don't know why I like them, they generally are fairly one note and easy to predict, but I guess I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I do know they are not everyone's cup of tea!
Can't really speak for Hallmark movies, never really seen any. They don't seem to be my kind of movie.
Old 12-11-16, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Yeah, I've seen all 3 of them, and I love them all.

I just finished the three episode series, Toy Trains & Christmas, on Amazon Prime. I loved the series, but then I have a soft spot in my heart for electric trains, and I think toy trains and Christmas go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Talking about them made me pop them into the player tonight. Watched the original and Frosty Returns. Decided to finish off the box set before switching the other one I have with the other Frosty specials, so watched Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town. This one isn't my favorite, but it has grown on me. I really have grown to like the Winter Warlock, though!

Can't really speak for Hallmark movies, never really seen any. They don't seem to be my kind of movie.
Quite possible, but you should give at least one a chance! There are some fun ones out there.
Old 12-11-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always forget how dark Cricket on the Hearth gets towards the end. Not a lot of Christmas cartoons have murder in it!
Old 12-12-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched the 1951 A Christmas Carol over the weekend. While it's likely I have*, I'm not truly sure if I've actually seen this version before. Of course the story is familiar but I don't remember any of the actors or little specifics that would identify this production over others. I found it to be a *excellent* version and will be adding it to my regular Christmas schedule of "must see" movies. I can't say for sure that I prefer it to the 1938 version without screening it again this year and even then I'm guessing it'd take a back-to-back viewing to truly select my favorite from the two.

* One local station ran a movie every weekday morning and almost all afternoon (1-6pm) on Saturday. Another did the noon "Dialing for Dollars" movie every weekday (those were a hoot! They had the local phone book cut up in pieces - the host pulled one out of a squirrel cage, counted down from the top to the one indicated by spinning a wheel and dialed the number to see if they were watching the film. Answer the question - win a prize) and had a "Creature Feature" show Friday and Saturday late nights. I saw *thousands* of films on those stations as a kid and teenager.
Old 12-12-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I checked a big title off my unwatched list: The Shop Around the Corner!

Spoiler:
One of the reasons I've wanted to watch it is because it's based on the same story as one of my favorite stage musicals, She Loves Me. The funny thing is that the two are so close in setting, characters, and plot that it made the movie almost redundant. At least You've Got Mail was pretty different aside from the basic premise. It's been many years since I saw In the Good Old Summertime, but I don't think that was as close either. Oh well--it's still a big check mark for me!
Old 12-12-16, 12:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Finally watched the old Jimmy Durante film A Christmas Wish (or, The Great Rupert). Charming but seemed like it could have been much more, a little too materialistic, especially for the season. The commentary track with star Terry Moore was a lot of fun though.
Old 12-13-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's nice to see that I can even watch outdoor shows on this Challenge, being they are one of my favorite genres. I just finished a Christmas highlight episode of Best Of The West, on the Pursuit Channel, in which it showed highlights of hunts from the past year, including a moose hunt.
Old 12-13-16, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just heard on the morning show on the radio I listen to that today is the anniversary of Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'.
Old 12-13-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Which makes this more appropriate...

Best Buy has Scrooged BR on sale for $3.99 w/free shipping to your house. Just be aware this is the "bare boned" release with only a BR disc (no DVD or Digital copy - it's ~$15). BB has both packages but Amazon has neither.
Old 12-13-16, 07:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Watched a couple of modern comedies recently and I'm not sure why I keep trying. I know that I'll keep buying them if they're Christmas related, and hit my ~$5 pricepoint, but they just do little for me. If a comedy is rated R, or has Adam Sandler, I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. I'm no prude, but comedy shouldn't need constant dick jokes and f bombs to be funny.
Old 12-13-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watched a couple of modern comedies recently and I'm not sure why I keep trying. I know that I'll keep buying them if they're Christmas related, and hit my ~$5 pricepoint, but they just do little for me. If a comedy is rated R, or has Adam Sandler, I'm pretty sure I'll hate it. I'm no prude, but comedy shouldn't need constant dick jokes and f bombs to be funny.
Another post I could have easily made... I've gotten to where I avoid almost all modern comedies for just those reasons. Most are just *not* funny, unless you happen to be ~13.
Old 12-15-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched a cute episode of Franklin And Friends, called 'Franklin's Christmas Spirit', on Nick Jr. In it Franklin was down because his friends weren't able to go caroling with him, but he went alone, and pretty soon, the whole town was joining in.
Old 12-15-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I made it over 80 this week, I should be able to beat last year's number of 102 with no trouble, before finishing up for the challenge.
Old 12-15-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't think I've hid my love for cheesy Hallmark movies. Don't know why I like them, they generally are fairly one note and easy to predict, but I guess I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I do know they are not everyone's cup of tea!
I've generally dismissed them as well, but I've watched a couple this year and enjoyed them so I'm kind of hooked. Attractive women, charming romance-lite, feel-good resolutions--not a bad thing for the holiday season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.