Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

Originally Posted by LJG765
Thanks! I was looking for something to watch today but really wasn't interested in most of what I had that qualified. Sex comedy is not my favorite genre-a lot of times it's just too raunchy for me and not what I consider funny.
I think Orgasmo and Porky's are pretty good. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 11-06-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

Thanks! I was looking for something to watch today but really wasn't interested in most of what I had that qualified. Sex comedy is not my favorite genre-a lot of times it's just too raunchy for me and not what I consider funny.
I'm mostly with you there. Many of the newer/modern "Sex Comedies" are mostly raunch fests. While I *do* like some of them I generally give them a pass. I lean more towards the mid 50s to late 60s "Sex Comedy" films. Stuff like Boeing Boeing, Sex and the Single Girl, Goodbye Charlie, the Marilyn Monroe ones, the Doris Day/Rock Hudson films, several of the Billy Wilder films, several of the Jack Lemon films, and others. The 60s was full of that sub-genre, many of which were somewhat risque' at the time but are rather innocuous by today's standards. Some I wasn't allowed to see as a 13 year old are tamer than much of what's on TV today - stuff *aimed* at that age group.
Old 11-06-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I watched Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship which is currently available on AmazonPrime. It was delightful! Kate Beckinsale plays a flirtatious widow attempting to find her daughter a wealthy husband. She delivers a steady stream of witty dialogue that completely unbalances those around her (except her American friend played by a put-upon Chloë Sevigny) and charmed me. The rest of the cast is also great, especially Tom Bennett as a dim lord who matches Beckinsale's wit with an unending prattle of stupidity.
Old 11-07-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was in the mood for a cartoon today, so I watched an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!, on Hulu for today's theme. I've always enjoyed the show, and was happy when I found the complete series streaming, as I had never seen the first season.
Old 11-07-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I took care of today's check by finally watching Ted (kind of an accidental check in that I rented it last week and happened to watch it today), which was pretty entertaining despite the raunchiness. I'll try to catch the sequel this month.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm mostly with you there. Many of the newer/modern "Sex Comedies" are mostly raunch fests. While I *do* like some of them I generally give them a pass. I lean more towards the mid 50s to late 60s "Sex Comedy" films. Stuff like Boeing Boeing, Sex and the Single Girl, Goodbye Charlie, the Marilyn Monroe ones, the Doris Day/Rock Hudson films, several of the Billy Wilder films, several of the Jack Lemon films, and others. The 60s was full of that sub-genre, many of which were somewhat risque' at the time but are rather innocuous by today's standards. Some I wasn't allowed to see as a 13 year old are tamer than much of what's on TV today - stuff *aimed* at that age group.
Too late for the check, but I'm rewatching Friends with Benefits (more Mila Kunis), which is pretty good for a modern sex comedy. It's really a romantic comedy at heart, with sex as its theme.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I watched Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship which is currently available on AmazonPrime. It was delightful! Kate Beckinsale plays a flirtatious widow attempting to find her daughter a wealthy husband. She delivers a steady stream of witty dialogue that completely unbalances those around her (except her American friend played by a put-upon Chloë Sevigny) and charmed me. The rest of the cast is also great, especially Tom Bennett as a dim lord who matches Beckinsale's wit with an unending prattle of stupidity.
I watched that over the summer and was a little disappointed, probably because of the sky-high RT ratings. I thought it looked great and the cast was great, but it just needed a little more to happen. (For the record, I'm not a period-drama nut, but do like them, and have seen the Colin Firth P&P a couple times. )

And I realize that I just came off badly by saying I was more entertained by Ted than Love & Friendship in the same post.
Old 11-07-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Went with Zootopia for the buddy check. It's the third time I've seen the film and I still really like it. I laugh, I like the music. The embracing others theme is pretty pronounced, but with today's climate, I don't think it's a bad idea for a kid's movie to have it as a theme.

I was putting together one of my Lego winter village kits, so I decided to watch another, this time Drowning Mona. Purely because the person I was watching with saw that Bette Midler was in it. I had never heard of it before, so with as many big names (Will Ferrel, Casey Affleck, Melissa McCarthy, Jamie Lee Curtis, Neve Campbell, Danny Devito,) in it as there are, we went with it. Yeah, there's a reason I've never heard of it before. It's pretty bad. The first hour and 15 minutes drag on. I don't think I laughed once. I know it was supposed to be dark comedy, but it just wasn't funny. Watch at your risk, I say.
Old 11-08-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched that over the summer and was a little disappointed, probably because of the sky-high RT ratings. I thought it looked great and the cast was great, but it just needed a little more to happen. (For the record, I'm not a period-drama nut, but do like them, and have seen the Colin Firth P&P a couple times. )

And I realize that I just came off badly by saying I was more entertained by Ted than Love & Friendship in the same post.
I say! You enjoyed MacFarlane vulgarity to the wit of Austen! *retrieves monocle from floor* Good day, sir! I SAID GOOD DAY!

While I loved the film, it's definitely not my favorite Austen adaptation - that's Emma Thompson and Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility - and I find the extremely high RT rating just as puzzling. I wonder if it's due in part to low expectations of Amazon Studios paired with a return-to-form for Whit Stillman whose last couple of films didn't garner as high praise as his first films.
Old 11-08-16, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme I remembered a Three Stooges short about a Presidential Convention, so I watched that. It's called 'Three Dark Horses', and is about Moe, Larry, and Shemp being made delegates for a corrupt Presidential candidate. I think it might be on YouTube if anyone is looking for it.
Old 11-08-16, 06:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I watched Dave and Election yesterday. I had forgotten how charming and optimistic Dave was, and what a dark edge Election has. Both were highly entertaining, and recommended this political season. But don't forget the incredibly awesome Braindead series today as well!
Old 11-08-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I watched Dave and Election yesterday. I had forgotten how charming and optimistic Dave was, and what a dark edge Election has. Both were highly entertaining, and recommended this political season. But don't forget the incredibly awesome Braindead series today as well!
My wife and I LOVE Dave. It's one of our favorite "go to" movies. We've probably seen it a dozen times. Another one of or faves is Guarding Tess, which is coincidently another "political" comedy. I also enjoyed Dick a couple years ago (that did not sound right). I should dig that out again.
Old 11-08-16, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a personally sad note, chalked up under "first world problems", I have run out of room in my signature. I will have to either come up with a different format for 2017 or stop doing challenges.
Old 11-08-16, 07:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
On a personally sad note, chalked up under "first world problems", I have run out of room in my signature. I will have to either come up with a different format for 2017 or stop doing challenges.
Well don't do the later!

One thing we talked about in the Omnibus thread was for everyone to make one post with links to all of your individual list posts, and to just link that Omnibus post in your signature.

But also, I can see a few shortening possibilities in your sig to maybe allow for another couple Challenges at least. Things like shortening "2016" to "16" and other abbreviations or eliminating spaces.
Old 11-08-16, 08:28 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched Mascots on Netflix, it was pretty funny. A little too much like Best in Show, but if you like Christopher Guest, give it a watch.
Old 11-08-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well don't do the later!

One thing we talked about in the Omnibus thread was for everyone to make one post with links to all of your individual list posts, and to just link that Omnibus post in your signature.

But also, I can see a few shortening possibilities in your sig to maybe allow for another couple Challenges at least. Things like shortening "2016" to "16" and other abbreviations or eliminating spaces.
I do the "Omnibus" thread thing. I have a post in that thread linked in my signature. It has *all* the challenges and I don't have to worry about space. I just have to make sure to update it each month. I'd already done all the "shortening possibilities" available but was still out of room. Since I didn't want to eliminate any of the challenge links that "Omnibus" thread link was the perfect solution. Plus you can get really creative there if you wish. I'm lazy - mine is a basic list with links. In my sig it's the "My DVD Talk Challenge Master Lists" link.
Old 11-08-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Any last-minute votes for the weekly watch before the poll closes in 90 minutes?

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I say! You enjoyed MacFarlane vulgarity to the wit of Austen! *retrieves monocle from floor* Good day, sir! I SAID GOOD DAY!

While I loved the film, it's definitely not my favorite Austen adaptation - that's Emma Thompson and Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility - and I find the extremely high RT rating just as puzzling. I wonder if it's due in part to low expectations of Amazon Studios paired with a return-to-form for Whit Stillman whose last couple of films didn't garner as high praise as his first films.
Yeah, I definitely prefer Sense and Sensibility, and I even watched the Kiera Knightley P&P recently and thought it was a decent watch. Another part of the problem for me with L&F is that I'd picked it for a group watch, and it just became more and more uncomfortable when I could tell no one else was charmed either. At least with Ted I was just watching it myself.

Well don't do the later!

When I ran into the space problem, I switched to linking to the most recent year of each challenge and having previous years' links there. That said, I'm a bit behind on my sig links.
Old 11-08-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The second weekly watch is... Amelie! It was tied with Mean Girls, so I went with greater accessibility (also on Prime) and one undecided voter that mentioned it but not MG.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-week-2-a.html
Old 11-08-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Checking off today's theme with The American President. Slim pickings on Netflix and Prime.
Old 11-08-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well don't do the later!

I do the "Omnibus" thread thing. I have a post in that thread linked in my signature. It has *all* the challenges and I don't have to worry about space. I just have to make sure to update it each month. I'd already done all the "shortening possibilities" available but was still out of room. Since I didn't want to eliminate any of the challenge links that "Omnibus" thread link was the perfect solution. Plus you can get really creative there if you wish. I'm lazy - mine is a basic list with links. In my sig it's the "My DVD Talk Challenge Master Lists" link.
When I ran into the space problem, I switched to linking to the most recent year of each challenge and having previous years' links there. That said, I'm a bit behind on my sig links.
Thanks for the suggestions. I remember discussions being had about a thread for challenge lists but I never heard the outcome of it. I really like my list. Maybe I'll do some kind of hybrid and retire older years to a complete list in the "omnibus"
Old 11-08-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For today's theme I remembered a Three Stooges short about a Presidential Convention, so I watched that. It's called 'Three Dark Horses', and is about Moe, Larry, and Shemp being made delegates for a corrupt Presidential candidate. I think it might be on YouTube if anyone is looking for it.
Thanks, ran out of time to watch an actual movie like I was planning to, so ended up watching this. Still not a fan, but hey, I've never seen this one before and it counted for the theme.

I think you already chose to do a main post, but I do the current year in my signature, then in each current post, I link to the year before. So by using the link in the sig as the starting off point, you can link back to all my challenge list posts. The first year I decided to do it, it was a bit of job, but now that it's all set up, I just make sure the current post links to last year's.

The second weekly watch is... Amelie! It was tied with Mean Girls, so I went with greater accessibility (also on Prime) and one undecided voter that mentioned it but not MG.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-week-2-a.html
And I thought it was going to be Mean Girls! I ordered it from the library so I'll probably still give it a watch since I haven't seen it at all yet. I've only watched Amelie once, but I did enjoy it. I found a used copy at a local thrift store a while back and this will finally make me watch my own copy.

A bit off topic, but just wanted to recommend this: Tonight I went and saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Doesn't count for the challenge, unfortunately, but it is a really good watch. Dark, but very well done. And hey, a Tim Burton movie without Helana Bonham Carter OR Johnny Depp!
Old 11-09-16, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme, I watched Slap Shot, on Amazon Prime. I've always enjoyed it, and hadn't seen it in years. It's a comedy drama, so has some bittersweet moments, mixed in with the comedy.
Old 11-09-16, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you already chose to do a main post, but I do the current year in my signature, then in each current post, I link to the year before. So by using the link in the sig as the starting off point, you can link back to all my challenge list posts. The first year I decided to do it, it was a bit of job, but now that it's all set up, I just make sure the current post links to last year's.

A bit off topic, but just wanted to recommend this: Tonight I went and saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Doesn't count for the challenge, unfortunately, but it is a really good watch. Dark, but very well done. And hey, a Tim Burton movie without Helana Bonham Carter OR Johnny Depp!
Thanks for the suggestion. I jumped through a few of yours to get the feel of it. As I refer back to previous lists often, I think I prefer more of a one stop portal approach though. And thanks for the recommendation for the new Burton movie. I was wondering how it was.
Old 11-09-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still not a fan, but hey, I've never seen this one before and it counted for the theme.
The Three Stooges are *awesome*! My 3 oldest grandkids *love* them (I bought them a complete set for Christmas this year) and the others are still too young. I even like the ones with Shemp now. When I was a kid we were always disappointed when Shemp's face was on the open but watched them anyway. I still think the ones with Joe Besser are the worst they did.

And I thought it was going to be Mean Girls! I ordered it from the library so I'll probably still give it a watch since I haven't seen it at all yet. I've only watched Amelie once, but I did enjoy it. I found a used copy at a local thrift store a while back and this will finally make me watch my own copy.
That's my fault... I was waiting until the last minute to vote and, looking at the then current numbers, was leaning towards Mean Girls after the comment Peepers made about Amelie. I totally forgot and then missed the post about last minute voting. Oh well... At least I can stream it "free" so if it *is* as bad as Peepers indicated I won't be out anything but time.
Old 11-09-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And I thought it was going to be Mean Girls! I ordered it from the library so I'll probably still give it a watch since I haven't seen it at all yet.
Watch it! It's a good film, and it still counts for your list, and covers the check on Sadie Hawkins Day if you want!
Old 11-09-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestion. I jumped through a few of yours to get the feel of it. As I refer back to previous lists often, I think I prefer more of a one stop portal approach though. And thanks for the recommendation for the new Burton movie. I was wondering how it was.
Good luck however you do it! As for the Burton movie-I hope you do see it-I liked it enough that I plan on getting the books (I guess there are 3 so far in the series) and reading them.

The Three Stooges are *awesome*! My 3 oldest grandkids *love* them (I bought them a complete set for Christmas this year) and the others are still too young. I even like the ones with Shemp now. When I was a kid we were always disappointed when Shemp's face was on the open but watched them anyway. I still think the ones with Joe Besser are the worst they did.

That's my fault... I was waiting until the last minute to vote and, looking at the then current numbers, was leaning towards Mean Girls after the comment Peepers made about Amelie. I totally forgot and then missed the post about last minute voting. Oh well... At least I can stream it "free" so if it *is* as bad as Peepers indicated I won't be out anything but time.
Eh, I've never been a huge slapstick comedy fan. To each their own, though! I can see kids liking them a lot more than I do-pies in face, hitting each other, sounds like something my nephew would watch if he would ever watch something in black & white and not made in the last 5 years! (he's pretty stubborn about it-I can't even get him to watch Disney movies)

Watch it! It's a good film, and it still counts for your list, and covers the check on Sadie Hawkins Day if you want!
Yeah, I definitely plan on watching it-good call on the Sadie Hawkins Day theme day, though! I haven't been looking ahead really.

For today's, since I'm not really a sports person, I looked to the Vudu group I belong to and found Everyone's Hero. Animated movie about a young boy who's very into baseball. His father gets blamed and fired when Babe Ruth's bat goes missing and the boy decides to go get it back to him. Some good voice actors in it, cute, quick movie and worth at least one watch if someone's still trying to make up their minds.
Old 11-09-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't vote either. It's not bad but it's not something I want to watch again and I don't like the style of the director.

Does the election count for a comedy entry? The amount of literal tears at work was beyond belief. I think we should stop having elections because apparently people can't handle it when they, the right and correct side, loses.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.