Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

Old 10-31-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

Originally Posted by davidh777
Oh, we need a set time and day rather than the whole week? Sorry, still new to this. I think it would have to be tonight for double-counting purposes. 8 PM ET? 9?
No can do for me tonight. Trick or treaters-we get about 200+ kids. Plus, I always watch Goonies, tradition!

Anytime after tonight would work for me, though. I think I would pick a day, but not necessarily a time...that way as we watch we can talk about it and we all see it within a short period of time. But, I know people work and have RL stuff going on, plus many time zones, so maybe a specific time would be difficult.
Old 10-31-16, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2016

I kicked off the Challenge with a double credit viewing. I watched 'Treehouse Of Horror XV', on FXX. I see FXX is airing all of the Treehouse Of Horror episodes today.
Old 10-31-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
No can do for me tonight. Trick or treaters-we get about 200+ kids. Plus, I always watch Goonies, tradition!

Anytime after tonight would work for me, though. I think I would pick a day, but not necessarily a time...that way as we watch we can talk about it and we all see it within a short period of time. But, I know people work and have RL stuff going on, plus many time zones, so maybe a specific time would be difficult.
I think a weekly selection allows us to watch and discuss it whenever we want, though maybe we'd need to spoiler-tag if we discuss early. Those who want double credit can watch it tonight, while others can watch when their schedule allows.
Old 10-31-16, 06:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Maybe create weekly discussion threads in the Reviews & Recommendations subforum for the choices, ala the OHMC.
Old 10-31-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Maybe create weekly discussion threads in the Reviews & Recommendations subforum for the choices, ala the OHMC.
That thought occurred to me, but I wasn't sure what kind of traffic we'd get. But no harm in trying it, right?

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil Weekly Comedy Challenge discussion thread
Old 10-31-16, 06:32 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Are you sure we don't want to limit it to a particular day for the viewing? If it's for the week I can see watching it on Monday and forgetting half of what happened by the Friday/Saturday discussion. Of course you can always just wait until "discussion day" for your viewing so it's fresh...
How about making it a Weekend movie? We can open the thread on Friday evening and everyone can discuss it over the weekend.
Old 11-01-16, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme viewing, I had originally planned to watch Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein. However, we watched it as a family Sunday night when it was on TCM. I had a back up plan though. For my second choice for today's theme, I watched the hilarious Three Stooges short, 'Spook Louder', in which the Stooges are hired to protect an inventor's inventions from enemy spies. The spies all dressed up as monsters and tried to scare the Stooges away. Highly recommended if you can find it.
Old 11-01-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For today's theme viewing, I had originally planned to watch Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein. However, we watched it as a family Sunday night when it was on TCM. I had a back up plan though. For my second choice for today's theme, I watched the hilarious Three Stooges short, 'Spook Louder', in which the Stooges are hired to protect an inventor's inventions from enemy spies. The spies all dressed up as monsters and tried to scare the Stooges away. Highly recommended if you can find it.
What theme? I didn't know we were doing themes... Or do you mean horror/comedy to cross over with the Horror challenge?

Why... that short is *easy* to find. I just walk to the shelf, pull out "The Three Stooges Collection Volume 4," take out disc 1, put it in the player, and get it going!

*OR* just watch it here (a very good copy):

But that *does* remind me that I have a unwatched copy of "The Three Stooges: Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" documentary. That might be what I watch tonight - or at least part of it as it consists of 9 ~50 minute segments.
Old 11-01-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What theme? I didn't know we were doing themes... Or do you mean horror/comedy to cross over with the Horror challenge?
Yes to both! We are doing themes, and we've added political comedy back in and removed funny brothers by request. That is now recorded in the second post of this thread.

I'll see if I can get some week 2 options to poll later.
Old 11-01-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why... that short is *easy* to find. I just walk to the shelf, pull out "The Three Stooges Collection Volume 4," take out disc 1, put it in the player, and get it going!

*OR* just watch it here (a very good copy):

But that *does* remind me that I have a unwatched copy of "The Three Stooges: Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" documentary. That might be what I watch tonight - or at least part of it as it consists of 9 ~50 minute segments.
Thanks for posting! I watched it before I turned on Tucker & Dale. Not a huge fan of the Three Stooges, but I tend to watch at least one of their shorts during the challenge.

I was working on my list and I couldn't seem to find this years checklist-are we not doing an official one this year? I just grabbed last years, so I'll be working on that either way, but was just curious. Thanks!
Old 11-01-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LJG765
I was working on my list and I couldn't seem to find this years checklist-are we not doing an official one this year? I just grabbed last years, so I'll be working on that either way, but was just curious. Thanks!
I didn't see a checklist in last year's thread. Maybe it was a legacy checklist from a previous year?
Old 11-01-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't see a checklist in last year's thread. Maybe it was a legacy checklist from a previous year?
To be honest, I have no idea! Well, if anyone wants one to use...my list post has one from some year!
Old 11-01-16, 07:50 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I sooooo need some comedy after a record high of 75 in the horror movie challenge.
Old 11-02-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far this month I've mostly been watching stand up, and I just finished the funniest one I've seen so far. I watched Jeff Foxworthy & Larry The Cable Guy: We've Been Thinking, on Netflix. I can see why they are Grammy winning comedians.
Old 11-02-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (Amazon Prime) is absolutely fntastic. I tried to describe it (again) the other day, and got as far as a mixture of Forrest Gump/Pink Panther/Amelie in Swedish, with an elephant... and then was smiling too much to go further. Hilarious and brilliantly plotted. Probably still the best film I've seen this year (again, after February).
Old 11-02-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Tonight I'm thinking of plugging in a Goodies episode, "Kitten Kong" or "Kung Fu Kapers" followed by a Joe E Brown movie. And sometime between now and the election I'm going to watch The Great McGinty (1940).
Old 11-02-16, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon
The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (Amazon Prime) is absolutely fntastic. I tried to describe it (again) the other day, and got as far as a mixture of Forrest Gump/Pink Panther/Amelie in Swedish, with an elephant... and then was smiling too much to go further. Hilarious and brilliantly plotted. Probably still the best film I've seen this year (again, after February).
Wife and I saw this sometime in the last year or so and loved it as well.
Old 11-02-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started that Three Stooges documentary "Hey Moe, Hey Dad!" last night, making it through the first 3 episodes. It started a bit slow (with a visit to a convention) and the theme song is simply horrible (thank goodness the first chapter stop is immediately after it so it's easily skipped). At times it feels a bit self-indulgent (well... the host *is* Moe's son) but it has some interesting information on the group, following them from their parent's arrival in the US with a smattering of information about their childhoods.
Old 11-02-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just surfed Netflix for political comedies, and, wow, there's just not much there. So then I went for sports comedies, and there's not much there either. This is why I prefer personal libraries/collections to streaming services--the latter is great for "finding something to watch," but less so for finding a specific title available.

I'll take another shot later today and go from the other direction--see what's available and craft some choices from that.

Last edited by davidh777; 11-02-16 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 12:28 PM

Fwiw, Braindead is on Amazon Prime and is one of my favorite TV series in years; perfect political comedy for this season.
Old 11-02-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just surfed Netflix for political comedies, and, wow, there's just not much there. So then I went for sports comedies, and there's not much there either. This is why I prefer libraries to streaming services--the latter is great for "finding something to watch," but less so for finding a specific title available.

I'll take another shot later today and go from the other direction--see what's available and craft some choices from that.
A couple of years ago I learned Netflix is pretty worthless when it comes to "catalog" type titles or pretty much anything older than ~5 years. I was at my son's house the week before Christmas and was looking for *classic* Christmas movies. I came up 100% empty. I thought I'd at least be able to watch White Christmas, Holiday Inn, or Miracle on 34th Street but the only stuff they had was from the prior 5 or so years. After poking around for more "catalog" movies *and* TV shows I came to the conclusion Netflix is not something I'd use as they generally don't have what I like to watch. If you're a "cable cutter" and mainly interested in current movies and TV it's OK and can be a good substitute but it absolutely can't replace a good library of physical media.
Old 11-02-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'll second this. I watched it during the Academy Award challenge and was not disappointed.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wife and I saw this sometime in the last year or so and loved it as well.
Thirded!

A couple of years ago I learned Netflix is pretty worthless when it comes to "catalog" type titles or pretty much anything older than ~5 years. I was at my son's house the week before Christmas and was looking for *classic* Christmas movies. I came up 100% empty. I thought I'd at least be able to watch White Christmas, Holiday Inn, or Miracle on 34th Street but the only stuff they had was from the prior 5 or so years. After poking around for more "catalog" movies *and* TV shows I came to the conclusion Netflix is not something I'd use as they generally don't have what I like to watch. If you're a "cable cutter" and mainly interested in current movies and TV it's OK and can be a good substitute but it absolutely can't replace a good library of physical media.
This is my biggest reason why I'd never get rid of my personal library. My family and I wanted to watch "A Christmas Story." For some reason we couldn't actually find it playing on TV so we pooled together all our different services (Netflix, Prime and probably a few others) and no one had it. Not even to rent. I think we ended up putting on some random kiddie Christmasy movie for the kids... but yeah, if you're in the mood for a comedy, you can find tons, be it Prime, Hulu or Netflix. Want a specific movie? Ha! Good luck on that! I get why people like using those services but I don't understand how people think it replaces owning a hard copy yourself where you know that you won't ever lose the rights to watch it. My biggest "aha" moment was similar to yours a few years ago. /end rant.
Old 11-02-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme, I watched The Cannonball Run. I bought it for last year's Challenge, but never got around to watching it till tonight. I first saw it on local TV as a kid, and I've loved it ever since. I was thinking Burt Reynolds when I put it in, but it actually had a triple play of mustaches. Dom DeLuise, and Sammy Davis Jr. were also in the movie.
Old 11-02-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I've already been very industrious! I finally finished the first season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and am one episode away from being all caught up! I've also finished the first disc of my Robert Benchley shorts box set, which I started last November.

This evening I watched Support Your Local Sheriff! starring James Garner. It's a film I've watched many times with my grandparents and felt it was time to open my Twilight Time blu-ray. I love the film, especially Garner's exasperated and Bruce Dern's hilarious performances. Dern explaining that the he helped install the bars in the jail never fails to crack me up!
Old 11-03-16, 12:47 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I just watched Meet The Blacks (2016). Holy crap is that an awful movie! It's a racist parody of The Purge with a black family moving into a rich white neighborhood. As a horror spoof, I thought I might get some enjoyment out of it. But there wasn't a single funny joke in the whole movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.