Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
How do we make this shark look different from the shark in the first movie?

..... Lets give it a cool face scar or something! Or like a burn?

How do you burn something that lives in the water?

You just leave that to me!
Haven't other movies ripped off burning something in the water, though. Is that the only gripe about the film?
Old 10-05-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Yesterday evening, I want to an OKC Horror Fest screening of De Palma's Carrie. It was my first time to see the film, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The room was full of people who were engaged, including a woman who cheered at several deaths. The film was a lot weirder and off-kilter than I thought it would be. (What's up with the silly getting ready montage?)
I can only assume DePalma was abducted on that day of shooting and replaced by a sitcom director.
Old 10-05-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I can only assume DePalma was abducted on that day of shooting and replaced by a sitcom director.
He was stoned.
Old 10-05-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Without Warning (1980)

Greydon's Clark low-budget film predates Predator with the story of a silent alien that hunts people in a remote location. I enjoyed the film overall, and was impressed to read after watching that it only cost $150k to make, half of that budget going to stars Jack Palance and Martin Landau. The crew really did make the most of their small budget and delivered a really fun sci-fi horror flick. Landau plays a grizzled ex-vet who claims to have seen creatures flying around at night attacking people. The locals dismiss him as crazy, but when a group of out-of-town campers claim that two of their friends were murdered, Landau is convinced.

Not only does this film seem to have inspired Predator, Kevin Peter Hall plays the creature in both films. This film is no Predator, but it really does a lot with what little it has. This movie has a solid cast of recognizable actors(including a very young David Caruso wearing frighteningly short shorts), creepy music, photography by Dean Cundey, and an effective creature designed by Rick Baker. There are some slow spots near the middle, but there's a good amount of suspense during the final act as the alien creature silently hunts its remaining victims. This was a first-time viewing on the Scream Factory BD and it looked great. My only disappointment is that Scream Factory tends to put spoilers or brazen images of the monster/creature on the packaging, which kind of ruins blind buys.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

This is a silly film about aliens that look like Clowns terrorizing a small town, by turning people into cotton candy. The premise is ludicrous, but the actual film is wildly entertaining. This is the type of film that you wouldn't go out of your way to rent, but if you saw it on TV you'd make some popcorn and sit down and watch, amused by the sheer absurdity of what's unfolding onscreen. In the wrong hands, this film could have been a total disaster, and it probably should have been, but there's so much creativity in the gags and set pieces, that it's hard not to be won over.

The clowns themselves look great, and pretty much makeup for the near total lack of compelling characters. I agree that John Vernon brings some class and gravity to the production, and does a great job playing a no-nonsense local cop that the audience can't wait to see victimized by the alien clowns. I can't remember which network aired this regularly when I was young, but it was great revisiting this on BD looking pretty darn good. My favorite gags include a clown using a corpse like a ventriloquist dummy, skin-melting cream pies, and an endless amount of aliens piling out of a clown car. Good subset pick, especially with all of the bizarre clown sightings going on around the country. Impending invasion, perhaps?
Old 10-05-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

I just have to give a big round of applause for Green Room. It will likely be the most intense film seen in the subset this year.

For those of you that have not seen it yet, watch Blue Ruin once October is over. It is not a horror movie but a dramatic thriller (though some could argue horror) written and directed by the same guy. It is even slightly better than Green Room (my opinion) believe it or not.
Old 10-05-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Chad,

I just noticed that these two categories were left off of the checklist on both the Wiki at the top of the thread AND in the copy in the first post:

Select 2 from the following anniversaries:
--- 10th Anniversary of TCM Underground –
--- 50th Anniversary of Dark Shadows –
--- 90th Birthday of Roger Corman -
--- 100th Birthday of Forrest J Ackerman -

Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1941 (75th) -
--- 1966 (50th) -
--- 1991 (25th) –

Was it intentional, or just an oversight?
No, I'll fix it. I think the checklist is screwing with me at this point.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Him and Scott (director) are good friends and it was a way to sell the movie if I recall.
Yeah, I get the name recognition thing. It's just they could of put Renée Estevez up there too since she's technically the star. She's not exactly famous or even a scream queen, but the last name is recognizable enough. Joe Estevez's niece!

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wait, is it just those films, or do all "gothic" films also count?

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I had the same question, but then once I clicked on the Dark Shadows theme link and saw the list of movies I figure it's just those cast member related films.
No. If it has a Dark Shadows cast member in it, it counts. Updated the link to make it more specific.

Surely this will be revisited after the challenge ends. As long as we don't make a change this drastic during the challenge.
Yep.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Not really feeling today's theme. Not entirely sure what I'm going to pick after work. I guess I have the same criticism with today's theme as others had with the TCM Underground proposed theme. There's no real connective tissue to any of the films. It's just a list of actors. Oh, well. I know I have some qualifying films so I'll decide on something.
People voted for it.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Wasn't the DVD limited edition?
It was supposed to be limited to the first 1,000 copies. I bought it back in July direct from Severin, so apparently it wasn't selling well. Or I just got lucky.
Old 10-05-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Since the DVD set has a clipboard with the airdate before each episode, I'll have to start looking to see if Fridays are when stuff happens.
They're the episodes that end in 0 and 5. You'll still miss some things. If you watch the full episodes that end in 0 and 5, and the first scene of everything else, you catch most of what you'd otherwise miss. Reason being for the slower episodes, any minor cliffhangers get redone at the start of the next episode and then you see how they turn out.

But I was able to marathon the Species films and I have to say I was surprised by the results.
I liked the first one except for Forest Whitaker. The character annoyed me to no end.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I'm still a bit dazed from The Girl Next Door and I watched it over a year ago. Not a movie I'm in a hurry to revisit.
I read they had an alternate ending that they talk about in the commentary. I've looked around online for what they talked about but I could never find it and I'm not in a hurry to sit through it again.

I like today's theme. I'm probably not going to watch Dark Shadows but there's so many other movies the cast have been in that there's no way someone can not find something to enjoy.

I'm going with Ruby. Don't judge me. I have my reasons.
Old 10-05-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For tonight's theme night, I went with a movie I hadn't seen in quite a while, Tales From The Darkside: The Movie. It still holds up.
Old 10-05-16, 05:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
I think that might be interchangeable with The House of Seven Corpses.
I saw this a couple of years ago after a ton of hype surrounded the BD release. One of the most boring zombie movies I've seen. Yet, I still bought the BD whe Severin had their OOP bundle a while back and planned to re-watch it. This thread is making me rethink this plan...

Well, The Forest was a major disappointment. So much potential.
Do you mean the one that came out this year or this one?

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
You know you are in for something special when the film begins with a six minute credit sequence of just text on black with 80s synth music played by hitting the demo button on a Casio keyboard...

Bring it on Black Devil Doll From Hell!
Is it better than the atrocious Black Devil Doll? Incredible trailer, terrible movie.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I've got Victor Frankenstein on deck but had resigned myself to having lower expectations of it for some reason (maybe because modern Frankenstein movies generally aren't good) so glad to hear otherwise.Dolls is a personal favorite of mine; don't anyone let the generic seeming title/poster deter you.
I had really high hopes for this one despite the reviews, and have been a fan of a lot of Max Landis' work, but Victor Frankenstein didn't do it for me. Started off interestingly enough, but really fell apart as it went on. It was an interesting concept, however.

Also, Dolls is awesome! (And pretty much anything by Stuart Gordon, for that matter.)

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I understand it was originally meant to be a series of webisodes then grew from there. I'm really curious about the new Phantasm and earlier remasters but bummer they're digital only (and more expensive on Vudu, my preference for digital, than elsewhere). I'll probably end up biting the bullet.
I'd read somewhere that the director had made some short films that used some of the actors, so Coscarelli let him direct the movie, and they used some stuff from his shorts in Ravager. Not sure if it's true, but could explain.

Also, Phantasm and Ravager will be released on BD in December, and apparently a boxset with all films will be released sometime next year, if you can wait!

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I just have to give a big round of applause for Green Room. It will likely be the most intense film seen in the subset this year.

For those of you that have not seen it yet, watch Blue Ruin once October is over. It is not a horror movie but a dramatic thriller (though some could argue horror) written and directed by the same guy. It is even slightly better than Green Room (my opinion) believe it or not.
Definitely agree with this statement. Both great movies, and I also think Blue Ruin is the better movie of the two. However, I see myself watching Green Room more often than Blue Ruin.

You need a job like mine, get paid to watch movies all day!
Are you guys hiring?
Old 10-05-16, 06:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I like today's theme. I'm probably not going to watch Dark Shadows but there's so many other movies the cast have been in that there's no way someone can not find something to enjoy.
Yep, there is a ton of range today.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
For tonight's theme night, I went with a movie I hadn't seen in quite a while, Tales From The Darkside: The Movie. It still holds up.
Just popped it in!
Originally Posted by cwileyy
I saw this a couple of years ago after a ton of hype surrounded the BD release. One of the most boring zombie movies I've seen. Yet, I still bought the BD whe Severin had their OOP bundle a while back and planned to re-watch it. This thread is making me rethink this plan...

Are you guys hiring?
Ignore the naysayers, House of Seven Corpses in a decent film, and the special features are very nice.

And yes! Working short right now, tired of the overtime.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-16 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-05-16, 06:35 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Dark Shadows (Johnny Depp; I've never seen it and can't pass up a Tim Burton movie no matter how bad it might be).
I watched that for the first time today. It was a lot of fun. Maybe not the best Tim Burton movie. But it was still really enjoyable. Good actors, cool sets and funny jokes.
Old 10-05-16, 06:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I watched that for the first time today. It was a lot of fun. Maybe not the best Tim Burton movie. But it was still really enjoyable. Good actors, cool sets and funny jokes.
I seem to remember it getting a lot of hate, but I watched it for the first time today and loved it.
Old 10-05-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, there is a ton of range today.
Just popped it in!Ignore the naysayers, House of Secen Corpses in a decent film, and the special features are very nice.
I was just half kidding. I've actually seen it before, although can't for the life of me recall if I liked it or not.

Do you mean the one that came out this year or this one?
The recent one with Natalie Dormer.

That other one does look like good cheese, and it's on YouTube.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

I'm going with Ruby. Don't judge me. I have my reasons.
I'm using it as an excuse to open up this baby tonight:

Probably the most under the radar release of the year.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I seem to remember it getting a lot of hate, but I watched it for the first time today and loved it.
I enjoyed it the first time, and that was before getting into the TV show. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up once I've completed the series.
Old 10-05-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I can't decide whether to watch the "Elvira Movie Macabre" version of Blue Sunshine or the Burton version of Dark Shadows... Then I also have my spankin' new BD of It Came from Outer Space that's staring me in the face... decisions, decisions...
Old 10-05-16, 07:59 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I

Probably the most under the radar release of the year.

count me in on the blue sunshine movie tonight as well. i got the blu ray ready to go
Old 10-05-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Tiny coincidences... Dark Shadows (Burton, Depp) is set in 1972, while Dear Dead Delilah is listed as being released in 1972. Both open with dated flashbacks, the main characters wander briefly in blood-spattered clothing...
Old 10-05-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:

I have no idea what this is. But I gather from the chatter here in the challenge that I should check it out.
Old 10-05-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Not many haunting shows can affect me, but I just finished an episode of Paranormal Witness, on SyFy, about a haunted jail, and how it affected one of the guards. It actually creeped me out.
Old 10-05-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I ended up finally opening my Amityville Horror boxset and watched Amityville 3-D for today's theme. It was my first time watching it in 3D. Still not a good movie but more fun in 3D. Mixed thoughts on the Blu-ray. The picture did seem to get better as the movie went along, but there seemed to be a lot of issues early in the film.

And yes, I'm still doing the crazy shirt thing. For extraterrestrial night, I went with Giger
Spoiler:

Tonight was a lot trickier. As I was going down the list of all actors who had made any appearance whatsoever on Dark Shadows, I ran into someone with a Friday the 13th Part 2 credit. While I don't have a potato sack Jason shirt, I do have plenty of hockey mask ones.
Spoiler:
Old 10-05-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Had a good night, tonight; got three movies in. Watched The Cat and The Canary (1939) for today's theme since I had it handy. Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard were so much fun in this I may have to break out The Ghost Breakers (1940). Followed it with Hocus Pocus (1993), which over the years has become a holiday perennial (even if you don't watch it every year, it's certainly prominently on sale this time of year, every year). Watching Kathy Najimy channel Curly Howard is certainly amusing. Finished off the night with a first time viewing of The Man Who Turned to Stone (1957), a better than average Katzman flick about the perils of chasing immortality. In a girl's juvenal facility, heh. It did include a historically and contextually correct reference to the Count St. Germain.

Still, tonight was an anomaly and I'll likely be sticking to my two movies a night schedule as best I can, weekends notwithstanding.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 10-05-16 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Not many haunting shows can affect me, but I just finished an episode of Paranormal Witness, on SyFy, about a haunted jail, and how it affected one of the guards. It actually creeped me out.
If you liked that you should give
a watch.
Old 10-05-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

What is Green Room about and can it be streamed anywhere?
Old 10-05-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Also watched It Came From Outer Space in 3D last night. The good news is that the transfer is fantastic. It looks spectacular and the 3D has great depth throughout. The bad is that the 3D really isn't used much more than added depth (which again looks great) and there aren't more than a few "3D money shots." Also the story is weak. Not much fun or action to be had in this one. But it is still worth checking out, especially since it is only $7.99 at Best Buy right now.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I can't decide whether to watch the "Elvira Movie Macabre" version of Blue Sunshine or the Burton version of Dark Shadows... Then I also have my spankin' new BD of It Came from Outer Space that's staring me in the face... decisions, decisions...
First I have to agree about Blue Ruin. I saw it at a film festival early last year and it was one of the highlights. Haven't seen Green Room yet.

I am also wondering when the right time is to watch MY "spankin' new BD of It Came From Outer Space". Maybe even wait until B-Movie month? Not sure.
Old 10-05-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
What is Green Room about and can it be streamed anywhere?
One of Anton Yelchin's last films and the subset pick for 10/14:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-14-a.html
Old 10-05-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please welcome our newest and first time sponsor Severin

Prize details coming soon.
Here's what they're donating:

1 Copy of Axe / Kidnapped Coed
1 Copy of Doctor Butcher M.D.
3 Copies of Horror Express (OOP)
3 Copies of Count Dracula
1 Copy of Vampyros Lesbos
1 Copy of Turkey Shoot

All Blu-rays.

Also, the Diabolik offerings have arrived. And Synapse has been contacted as per their request, so we should be hearing from them soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.