Legend of Bruce Lee (2008 TV Series)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-21-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

RELEASE DATE: November 1, 2016

Well Go USA presents the DVD for Legend of Bruce Lee: Volume One, a 2008 martial arts series that centers around the legendary Bruce Lee.

Legend of Bruce Lee: Volume One contains the first ten episodes. The remaining 20 episodes will soon follow. Note: Previously, this series was partially released in the U.S. by Lionsgate in a condensed 183 minute “movie” version (trailer below reflects the Lionsgate version). In its original CCTV run, the series’ consisted of 50 episodes.

Young Bruce Lee (Danny Chan of Shaolin Soccer and Ip Man 3) has no interest in studying and is obsessed with martial arts. After losing a street fight, he resolves to master kung fu under the tutelage of Master Ye Wen. Targeted by street gangs after standing up for the weak, Bruce has no other option but to leave Hong Kong for a strange and far off land: America…

Legend of Bruce Lee: Volume One also stars Michelle Lang, Gary Daniels, Ted Duran, Natalia Dzyublo, Wang Luoyong, Hazen McIntyre, Ray Park, Tim Storms, Micheal Jai White, Traci Ann Wolfe, Mark Dacascos and Ash Gordey.

Product Features:

Chinese Language (English/English SDH)
First ten episodes on 3 DVDs

Was debating where to put this thread. Since it's not a BD release, it has to go into DVD unfortunately and I know most here won't find it.

I've been wanting to see this for years, but I recall mrhan, one of the posters here, saying that it was terrible.

It was originally a 50 episode miniseries, but Lionsgate hacked it up to a 3 hour movie. Now Well Go is releasing 30 episodes (10 here)

Is this really that horrible? I heard the hacked up "movie" version was unwatchable, so I didn't bother with it.

Seems like it has a decent cast though.
Old 09-21-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Legend of Bruce Lee: Volume One -- TV series -- Coming 11/1/16

Don't know how good it is, but I heard about it on a martial arts movie group on Facebook I'm a member of.
Old 09-21-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guest appearances by Micheal Jai White and Mark Dacascos? I is intrigued...
Old 07-07-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

http://instantwatcher.com/title/7022...e=New%20Titles

This is now available on Netflix.

50 episodes total.

This is the full Uncut version.

Can a Mod please change this to:

"Legend of Bruce Lee 2008 TV Series" and move this over to TV Talk? It's not going to get any traction here in DVD Talk.

Thanks

Last edited by DJariya; 07-08-17 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Legend of Bruce Lee (2008 TV Series)

Originally Posted by DJariya

I've been wanting to see this for years, but I recall mrhan, one of the posters here, saying that it was terrible.
Yes, I stand by that. Some of the early episodes are decent but the later ones are really bad; especially the fight choreography. It felt like they used Dragon (1993) as a template for the story. They went off on a tangent and made up a lot of shit.

The actor who plays Bruce is decent and it's funny that he hasn't aged a bit because he also plays Bruce as a teenager in Ip Man 3.
Old 07-10-17, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

HDNet has been playing a semi-documentary from the 1980s? called The Legend of Bruce Lee. I don't think it's related but figured a mention wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-11-17, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
HDNet has been playing a semi-documentary from the 1980s? called The Legend of Bruce Lee. I don't think it's related but figured a mention wouldn't hurt.
Are you talking about Bruce Lee: The Legend? If so, that old Golden Harvest documentary was for years, one of the few videos that contained actual footage from Game of Death. If it's something else, well, nevermind.
Old 07-11-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Bruce Lee: The Legend

Just recorded it last night in fact.
Old 07-11-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Bruce Lee: The Legend

Just recorded it last night in fact.
I'm sure that was released in the early or mid 80's in the U.S. but maybe earlier elsewhere. It was a follow up to Bruce Lee,The Man and the Legend which was released shortly after his death. Both docs. were produced by Golden Harvest.

Last edited by mrhan; 07-11-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm sure that was released in the early or mid 80's in the U.S. but maybe earlier elsewhere. It was a follow up to Bruce Lee,The Man and the Legend which was released shortly after his death. Both docs. were produced by Golden Harvest.
Yeah, I still have a VHS copy I think. 1984. "1977" is an error. It includes interviews with Nora Miao and Jackie Chan footage from the eighties.
Old 02-20-20, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The Legend of Bruce Lee (2008) on Netflix

As people probably know I'm laid up recovering from back surgery so I've been looking for something long to watch. I found the whole Legend of Bruce Lee series was up on Netflix so decided to give it a watch. I'm about 10 episodes in and it's great. I don't really watch too many Chinese series because many of them are extremely anti-Western (this is no exception) but in context it works because Bruce was brought up in British controlled Hong Kong where life was rife with racism. The production values are great, as one would expect the choreography is outstanding- one thing I find a bit odd about the show is much of it is clearly shot in English, dubbed to Mandarin and then subbed to English again. It's unfortunate they didn't leave the original language track intact (with English)- it's kind of odd to watch it this way.

Curious if anyone else has watched the show and what they think? I take a lot of it with a grain of salt- It's interesting to see such an idealized version of Bruce Lee.
Old 02-20-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Legend of Bruce Lee (2008) on Netflix

I made a thread about this almost 3 years ago

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/63...tv-series.html

I've only seen a few episodes and just kind of stopped with so many other things to watch. But, there's some context in this if it helps.
Old 02-20-20, 02:21 PM
Banned

Re: The Legend of Bruce Lee (2008) on Netflix

Originally Posted by DJariya
I made a thread about this almost 3 years ago

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/63...tv-series.html

I've only seen a few episodes and just kind of stopped with so many other things to watch. But, there's some context in this if it helps.
I realize a lot of it is made up but it is entertaining. Nice to see it’s in HD here- odd thing is some of the episodes are DD2.0+ while others are PCM. Why did they throw away the original English language track? Makes no sense, especially for western release. They should have just subbed it in Chinese for the English parts.

Oh wow, I’ve made it to the part where he makes it to the US. It’s so offputting to see them not even try to make it seem like it’s the early ‘60s. Not only that, it’s so ani-American it’s ridiculous. Bruce was born in the US so he’s a US citizen and has access to public schooling. They make it seem like everyone in the US is oppressed, has to pay for everything, etc. The worst American stereotypes. Total Chinese government propaganda. This is why I’m not big on watching Chinese produced shows.

Hopefully it gets better as the show moves along.

Holy shit, this show is so racist it’s ridiculous.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-21-20 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 11:42 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm about 14 episodes in (haven't watched any in a while), yeah it's a big offputting when english characters like Linda are speaking mandarin in America, not english

50 episodes are a lot, so it is very slow moving. I am a huge Bruce Lee fan, and love the detail, but even i found the pacing an issue.

I will finish it off one day
Old 02-22-20, 08:36 AM
Banned

I’ve pretty much lost interest. There is like zero production value once Bruce gets to the US. It’s all in English yet dubbed into Mandarin, extremely pro-Chinese, anti-American and just flat out racist. I’m having difficulty watchIng it.

Its supposed to be the early 1960’s, they clearly reference it at times yet they show modern Seattle with the modern buildings and cars, etc, it’s so weird.
Old 02-22-20, 12:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, well it was made for China market.

Budget per episode would have been low, so recreating the 60s definitely not in the cards
Old 02-22-20, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Yeah, well it was made for China market.

Budget per episode would have been low, so recreating the 60s definitely not in the cards
I guess that shows how little certain parts of urban China (Hong Kong?) has changed in the last 50yrs.

It's not so much them filming in modern Seattle that bugs me, but it's the blatant racism and anti-Americanism. I've seen plenty of other Chinese productions which were shot in the west which had some elements of this but were nowhere near as bad.