DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally watched Mulholland Drive! I'd only been familiar with one scene.

I felt like I was sailing along until the last hour, when my head exploded, ha ha.
I also watched Mulholland Dr. It's the first time I revisited it since its first release on disc 10 or 15 years ago. I have to say I enjoyed it far more this time, knowing where it was going. Almost hated it the first time. But now I know more about its history and more about David Lynch, so I accepted what it was and loved it. The special features are quite good as well.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Thursday night, I was able to attend a stage performance of The 39 Steps by Actors Theatre of Louisville....

Last night, I sat down to stream Steve Buscemi's #2, Brute Force...and promptly fell asleep. Gonna start over from the beginning here shortly. It's been quite some time since I fell asleep watching something. I hate getting old.
That's cool to see it live and be able to watch it right away for the challenge. I love when things like that come together!

As far as getting old and falling asleep... welcome to my world! Sometimes it takes me 6 hours to watch a 2 hour film! LOL
Old 09-04-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
As far as getting old and falling asleep... welcome to my world! Sometimes it takes me 6 hours to watch a 2 hour film! LOL
Oh, I frequently can take 6 hours to watch a 2 hour film, but that's because of my stupid guts. I rarely even attempt to start a movie if I feel drowsy.
Old 09-04-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Collection from 2016
Spoiler:
 photo DSCF0034_zpsyjznaqep.jpg

photo DSCF0035_zpsdyzqshga.jpg
Old 09-05-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Collection from 2016
Spoiler:
 photo DSCF0034_zpsyjznaqep.jpg

photo DSCF0035_zpsdyzqshga.jpg
Autographs?
Old 09-05-16, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Autographs?
Yup. I met Soderbergh at a screening of Che, and Maddin at a screening of The Saddest Music in the World.
Old 09-05-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just finished A Brief History Of Time, that I bought on Google Play last night. I like documentaries anyways, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I thought it was quite an enjoyable documentary on the life of Stephen Hawking. It was informative to me as well, as I had always thought that he was born the way he was. I found out that he contracted ALS in his younger days, and that he gradually got worse as the years went by. In addition in 1991, he was involved in an accident when he was hit by a car while his nurse was pushing his wheelchair across the road. All in all, if anyone either likes documentaries, or are interested in Stephen Hawking himself, I highly recommend this film.
Old 09-05-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CinemaNow has a selection of titles on sale right now for 99¢ apiece. SD only, unfortunately, but among them is the 1942 Korda brothers production of The Jungle Book, which is eligible for this challenge.
Old 09-05-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I'm about done with the challenge. Maybe do one for the cross over. Watched my two new releases and the prerelease version of Red River that I bought last year (I only watched the theatrical).
Old 09-05-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Late last night, I finally got back to streaming Brute Force, starting over from the beginning. From my Letterboxd diary:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL

Spoiler:
This was second on Steve Buscemi's Top 10 list of films in the Criterion Collection.

Melodrama tends to miss more than hit with me, and that was overall true here. I lost interest in the backstory flashbacks after the second. I was relieved that we didn't have to sit through one for Kid Coy, a one note joke that stopped being funny early. Jack Overman does what he can to inject some levity into the picture as the big lug, but it just felt like the wrong brand of levity.

Art Smith and John Hoyt, however, did infuse the film with the right brand of levity as Dr. Walters and Spencer, respectively. The humor befitting these people and this world has to be worn out, not to actually elicit laughter but merely to reassure the speaker that his ability to construct a joke still functions long after it's made anyone laugh. This is a defense mechanism I know well, having used it reflexively throughout all manner of crises, including both of my inpatient hospitalizations for suicidal depression.

Smith's Dr. Walters is the film's conscience, the only real protagonist we have since the two leads are the sadistic Captain Munsey (Hume Cronyn, as chilling as any screen villain I've yet to see) and inmate leader Joe Collins (Burt Lancaster, intense but not particularly inspiring). It's easy to root against the totalitarian Munsey, but it's hard to root for Joe. The best we have to work with is that somehow or other, Joe has to get out to persuade poor innocent Ruth to undergo some kind of lifesaving surgery because no one else can talk her into it.

If I was invested in Ruth, maybe that would have been enough. As it is, she's little more than a shorthand for giving Joe (and by extension, the entire film) the impetus for the jailbreak. I was reminded of the sequences in Bride of Frankenstein with the hermit...except that I managed to care about the hermit enough that watching his world torn apart bothers me. Watching Ruth say goodbye to Joe, oblivious to what will come of him or their relationship, meant nothing to me.

I was significantly more invested in Tom Lister (Whit Bissell). I suspect many, if not most, viewers dismiss Lister as being pathetic and weak, too worried about a wife who doesn't return his devotion to take care of himself and therefore not particularly worth their consideration. He was, of course, the one I related to the most. I can appreciate the kind of desperation that drove him to steal money for a fur coat for his wife in the first place, to send her letter after letter from inside, and ultimately to take his own life in light of being told she wanted a divorce.

There's something I'd love to see: Cora Lister demanding an inquiry into the death of her husband, particularly if her filing for divorce was a fabrication of Munsey's. Maybe she was going to leave Tom. She admits to choosing materialism over decency. On the other hand, there's Munsey filtering their entire relationship.

I will say that as the film wore on, I became increasingly mindful that the rules of that era dictated that wrongdoers must be punished onscreen, and that meant that somehow or other, Joe and Munsey both would have to go down. The climactic battle isn't so much primitive as it is primal. It's terribly simplistic, but this works in the film's favor, as it isn't fixated on trying to impress us with how clever it all is. Instead, we simply get on with the relentless cruelty.

I live in the same county as one of our state's penitentiaries. It's a major employer in this area, and I've grown up knowing quite a few people who have worked in corrections in various positions over the years, including members of my own family. The thesis of Brute Force is every bit as valid today as it was in 1947. As Dr. Walters put it:

Do you know what this prison is, Mr. McCollum? One big human bomb! And you say, "Kick it, and it'll be quiet. Smash it, and it won't explode."

One of the people I know who has worked in corrections has been caught up in a major prison riot. It wasn't at the facility where he worked, though. He was one of quite a few state corrections workers who were called in to assist when a privatized prison erupted. He was adamant that what led to that riot was precisely the draconian ruthlessness personified here by Captain Munsey and Mr. McCollum. The morality of Brute Force may be simplistic and it may be delivered clumsily in places, but it's sadly every bit as relevant today as at the time of its release 69 years ago.

Star Trek aside: This ensemble features three actors who appeared in the original series; Whit Bissell ("The Trouble with Tribbles"), Jeff Corey ("The Cloudminders"), and John Hoyt (Dr. Boyce in the original pilot, "The Cage").

Brute Force entered my Flickchart at #1016/1846

Brute Force
-X- Decade - 1940 (1947)
-X- Spine Range - 301-400 (#383)
-X- Theme - Noir and Neonoir
-X- Theme - Suspense!
-X- Language - English
-X- Essay - Brute Force: Screws and Proles, Michael Atkinson

Box Sets/Top 10
Steve Buscemi's Top 10
Joe Mantegna's Top 10
Old 09-05-16, 05:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished watching the last film in Eclipse Series 25: Basil Dearden's London Underground. The four films ranged from very good to great, so this set was a very pleasant surprise and ranks in the top tier of Eclipse sets that I have watched. My Hulu Plus subscription ran out last week, but I think the Dearden films are on there if anyone is looking for something to watch.
Old 09-05-16, 06:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I think I'm going to have at least one missed item on my personal checklist this month. With a bit of thinking, I have HBO, Disney, and 3D covered; but I can't think of a way to cover Star Trek this month.
Old 09-05-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching Head.
This movie is stupid.
Not funny stupid, "Jesus this is stupid" stupid.
Old 09-05-16, 06:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I remember being horribly disappointed both times I watched Head. It is just awful.
Old 09-05-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'm going to have at least one missed item on my personal checklist this month. With a bit of thinking, I have HBO, Disney, and 3D covered; but I can't think of a way to cover Star Trek this month.
How are you getting by Disney - something like The Rock..?
Old 09-05-16, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
How are you getting by Disney - something like The Rock..?
Exactly. If I find the DVD that is.....
Old 09-05-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could get your TV to do a 3D conversion of Godzilla or something.
Old 09-05-16, 09:15 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I finally finished the supplements for Fantastic Planet tonight after watching the movie on August 31st for the Animation/Criterion Collection crossover. I first saw this movie when it came out on HBO in the late 1970's I believe and it makes a lot more sense to me today. I highly encourage those that haven't seen it to give it a try. It's not your average animation I know but it is extremely creative and has a fascinating story. The supplements only include two of Rene Laloux's early works and left me wishing for all of them (I believe there were five in all, I think I will have to give YouTube a look for the others). The interview with Laloux was well done and there is a copy of an episode of Italiques which has a 52 minute interview with Roland Topor that is very interesting. The essay by Michael Brooke didn't really cover any new territory, but all in all I would strongly recommend this disc to everyone.
Old 09-05-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Hidden Fortress inspired Star Wars, which revived interest in Star Trek and led to the first movie...?
Old 09-05-16, 10:21 PM

Randomly chose Frances Ha tonight, Netflix, and enjoyed it. If I had the disc I'd be diving into the special features right now. Quirky and often depressing, but it kept me engaged all film, which rarely happens lately.

Originally Posted by pacaway
You could get your TV to do a 3D conversion of Godzilla or something.
That'd be sweet!
Originally Posted by davidh777
Hidden Fortress inspired Star Wars, which revived interest in Star Trek and led to the first movie...?
I like the way you think, and that might have to do.

But I wonder if any of the Trek captains have been in a Criterion film? That'd be good enough for me.
Old 09-05-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Watching Head.
This movie is stupid.
Not funny stupid, "Jesus this is stupid" stupid.
The BBS set is mostly disappointment. Head, Drive, He Said, and A Safe Place are completely forgettable. Marvin Gardens has a great opening scene, but otherwise is just like the above three. I know it has it's fans, but I fucking hate every second of Last Picture Show (and I loved Paper Moon ).

Criterion should just release a two pack of Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces.

Fun fact about Head: They only called it that so if they made a sequel, the poster could read, "From the people who gave you Head."
Old 09-06-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

But I wonder if any of the Trek captains have been in a Criterion film? That'd be good enough for me.
Shatner was in The Outrage (1964), which was a Western version of Rashomon (1950). It's almost like he was in a Criterion film.
Old 09-06-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night, I watched Brute Force. Its ensemble includes three actors from the original series: Whit Bissell ("The Trouble with Tribbles"), Jeff Corey ("The Cloudminders"), and John Hoyt (Dr. Boyce in the original pilot, "The Cage"). You might also rationalize viewing The Spy Who Came In from the Cold as it was an obvious influence on the DS9 episode "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges". And don't forget that A Brief History of Time is a documentary about Data's poker opponent Stephen Hawking.

Hell, I've been meaning to put together a list on Criterion.com of Trek-related films anyway. I'll let you know what I turn up.
Old 09-06-16, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My latest viewing: The Honeymoon Killers. From my Letterboxd diary -

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL

Spoiler:
The Honeymoon Killers is third on Steve Buscemi's Top 10 list of Criterion Collection titles. I can appreciate its sensationalist blending of grim brutality and gallows humor, the intensity of the performances by leads Shirley Stoler and Tony Lo Bianco, and the stark black and white photography by Oliver Wood.

There's the film's economic storytelling to be appreciated, too. Writer/director Leonard Kastle was judicious in what information to give us. For instance, we witness the selection process for each mark, and then we cut to just before the end of her fate, whatever it may be. We don't have to endure the ritualistic courtship each time. We've already seen how Ray worked on Martha; we know what every other woman experienced with him without us having to sit through it.

And yet....

Somewhere along the way, the movie just began to feel too episodic for me. Though I could see for myself the escalation from merely robbing Doris to murdering not only Delphine but her daughter Rainelle, somehow I didn't feel any escalation. Before we even got to Delphine, I'd already begun to wonder how many more of these sequences stood between where I was in the film and its end credits.

According to Gary Giddins in his Criterion essay,
"The Honeymoon Killers: Broken Promises", by time Janet Fay meets her demise, "...the film has already disposed of her humanity, mining for laughter her penny-pinching deceits and Jesus icons, defying the most saintly among us to forswear thoughts of homicide every time she chirps, 'Innat cuuuute?'”

This is the key element that eluded me. Giddins emphasizes how morosely comedic the film is, and this aspect just did not engage me. It's not that the jokes were over my head. They just didn't land for me. Perhaps if I saw this with an audience, the humor would have engaged me more, and if that had been the case, perhaps the film itself would have engaged me more.

I was intrigued by the recurring jabs at American patriotism and Catholicism. They're played for laughs, and of course they're also there to signify to us how indecent Martha and Ray are, but there's something about the specificity that did catch my eye. For instance, that Doris should sing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in the bathtub, or the one portrait of Jesus that basically looks like it would be His Tinder profile pic. Smooth Operator Jesus is one of the lesser discussed Jesuses.

I can, however, see this turning out to be another of those films that initially underwhelmed me but germinates until I find myself fascinated by it. It certainly has enough of the elements that tend to get under my skin.

The Honeymoon Killers entered my Flickchart at #1007/1847

The Honeymoon Killers
-X- Decade - 1960's (1969)
-X- Spine range - 101-200 (#200)
-X- Language - English
-X- Theme - Amour Fou
-X- Theme - Cult Movies
-X- Theme - Independent American Cinema

Box Sets/Top 10 Lists
Steve Buscemi's Top 10
Gary Giddins's Top 10
Bruce Goldstein's Top 10
Jean-Pierre Gorin's Top 10
Patton Oswalt's Top 10
Old 09-06-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I've seen his earlier, successful films, I really got into (and enjoyed) François Truffaut's The Soft Skin and Day for Night. After attending a Hitchcock class this summer and watching the Hitchcock/Truffaut documentary, I realize what an impact Hitch had on Truffaut, along with other directors such as Orson Welles, Luis Buñuel, and Jean-Luc Godard. Studying the works of these auteurs really encompasses Truffaut's cinematic style. I'm looking forward to watching his other Criterion "spines" again... or for the first time.
Old 09-06-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was curious that, by coincidence, I watched Room with a View, a Merchant-Ivory film, and then watched Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited. Once I delved into the special features on the Wes Anderson disc, I found out that, in homage to the Merchant-Ivory films, he used many music cues as well as other inspiration! One of the features was even an interview by Wes with James Ivory discussing many of the Merchant-Ivory films.
I love when things just come together like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.