Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

If anyone has a Roku, there is a channel called Cartoon Club, that has quite a few old cartoons. I just watched a cute Disney short called 'Hawaiian Holiday', that starred Mickey and the gang.
Old 08-11-16, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I was mildly concerned when an Aladdin episode had "Shark" in the title, but... it's one of thr better scripted (and most are good).

"Two words boys: magical starfish."
Old 08-11-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Don't know how much season 2 volume 2 is, but I want to say Season 1 and Volume 1 of Season 2 are only about $8 - $10 each on Amazon.
That's not bad!

Originally Posted by Giles
question: can someone find and post the 2015 masterlist of the challenge - thanks.
Whoops, thought I had put links in the opening posts, but I totally didn't. Correcting that now!

Originally Posted by wishbone
Giles, are you referring to either of these threads?

The 6th Annual August Animation List Thread

6th Annual August Animation Challenge
If anyone has a Roku, there is a channel called Cartoon Club, that has quite a few old cartoons. I just watched a cute Disney short called 'Hawaiian Holiday', that starred Mickey and the gang.
Thanks, I'll have to check this out.
Old 08-12-16, 12:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ thanks.
Old 08-12-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried watching The Peanuts Movie on HBO last night, but I turned it off. It just wasn't the Peanuts I grew up with. Not only was it CGI, which I might have been able to tolerate, maybe. But the writers had things all wrong. Everyone was in the same school, which I just couldn't get around.
Old 08-12-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Paddington this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really know much about it going in other than it was based on the book. I read it as a kid, but not for longer than I will admit, so I couldn't tell you if it followed it or not, but it is really cute. Nothing really cringe worthy, just a cute, funny movie with a bit of action right at the end. The CGI Paddington was really well done, too.
Old 08-13-16, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With my birthday being yesterday, I didn't watch much TV, let alone get any challenge viewing in, but I started early this morning, by finishing 'The Pyramid Of Darkness'. Haven't decided what to work on next though.
Old 08-14-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

With my birthday being yesterday, I didn't watch much TV, let alone get any challenge viewing in, but I started early this morning, by finishing 'The Pyramid Of Darkness'. Haven't decided what to work on next though.
Happy belated Birthday!
Old 08-14-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Happy belated Birthday!
Thanks
Old 08-14-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Happy late birthday! Hope you had a good one!
Old 08-14-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Happy late birthday! Hope you had a good one!

Thanks. Minus the rain, yeah it was pretty good.
Old 08-15-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd been in a quandary of what series to work on next, so hadn't watched anything in a couple days, but a movie I just watched got me back in a challenge kinda mood. Yesterday I signed up for Cinemax and Starz, and while browsing the Dish Guide this morning, I came across one of my favorite DC Universe movies, Batman: Under The Red Hood. The strange thing is, I was just thinking about this movie just last night. Perhaps because it is kind of a sequel to the Killing Joke, which I have yet to see.
Old 08-15-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone owns the BCI Eclipse releases of the original He-Man cartoon, there's "fun facts" if you go to the chapter select of each episode. I'm not sure if it carried over to all the different releases but I have the season 1 vol 1 / season 1 vol 2 / season 2 vol 1 / season 2 vol 2 box sets. I wouldn't have noticed them except by chance.

They're actually pretty informative, talking about differences between script/episode, and characters. I might actually watch the documentaries and junk when I get to the end of the set.
Old 08-15-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If anyone owns the BCI Eclipse releases of the original He-Man cartoon, there's "fun facts" if you go to the chapter select of each episode. I'm not sure if it carried over to all the different releases but I have the season 1 vol 1 / season 1 vol 2 / season 2 vol 1 / season 2 vol 2 box sets. I wouldn't have noticed them except by chance.

They're actually pretty informative, talking about differences between script/episode, and characters. I might actually watch the documentaries and junk when I get to the end of the set.
They're not on the Mill Creek release.
Old 08-15-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So we're about half way through the challenge; how are people doing? I admit that between the Olympics and RL, I haven't been watching as much animation as I thought I was. What I've watched has been mostly good though!

Earlier in the challenge a link to a series of shorts on youtube was posted and I'm currently watching those. It's about 1:20 long, so if people are looking to do the check mark for watching 90 minutes of shorts, it's a good one to start with. You'd probably only need one or two more shorts to get the whole 90 minutes.

Once I finish enough shorts for that myself, I think I'm going to pop in the latest Tinker Bell movie. I've had it for awhile, but just haven't watched it yet.
Old 08-15-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

So we're about half way through the challenge; how are people doing? I admit that between the Olympics and RL, I haven't been watching as much animation as I thought I was. What I've watched has been mostly good though!
I'm doing alright; I should bust an hundred sometime this week. Been managing a nice mixture of movies, theatrical shorts and tv. Need to work in more anime, though. At least try to watch Millennium Actress (2003) or Paprika (2006) or maybe try to burn through Paranoia Agent (2005) (I'm in a Satoshi Kon mood). We'll see what happens, maybe I'll end up watching Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) for the umpteenth time.
Old 08-16-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm doing good. Took a couple days off, due to not knowing what to watch, but I'm having fun, and that's my goal.
Old 08-16-16, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm doing alright; I should bust an hundred sometime this week. Been managing a nice mixture of movies, theatrical shorts and tv. Need to work in more anime, though. At least try to watch Millennium Actress (2003) or Paprika (2006) or maybe try to burn through Paranoia Agent (2005) (I'm in a Satoshi Kon mood). We'll see what happens, maybe I'll end up watching Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) for the umpteenth time.
Oooh, Millennium Actress, I should watch this again this year. I watched it a couple years ago for the first time (perhaps on your recommendation?) and really liked it. If anyone is on the fence, it's a good watch.

I like Kiki too, but I think I'll rewatch one of the Studio Ghibli ones I've only watched once, like Porco Rosso or Castle in the Sky.

First, though, is Back to the Future. It's my last one that I have in my to watch pile next to my player (animation, anyway) and I think once I get going, it won't take too long to get through it.

I just finished Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast. I have really enjoyed all these DTV movies. I think there are 7 of them, including 2 shorter ones. They aren't the greatest things ever filmed, but they are all feel good films and are pretty well done.
Old 08-16-16, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm doing okay. Just started y re-watch of The Boondocks and some of the episodes aren't as good as I remember. Batman Beyond has aged well and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker still kicks all sorts of butt.
Old 08-16-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched a documentary on Osamu Tezuka, the creator of "Astro Boy" and "Kimba the White Lion," among many other anime/manga classics, so now I'm in a Tezuka mood.

I watched the first five episodes of "Princess Knight" yesterday, the English-dubbed version of Tezuka's series, "Ribon no Kishi" about a girl masquerading as a boy in order to be eligible to succeed her father on the throne in some mythical France-like 17th century kingdom. I had previously watched the first 18 episodes in Japanese only on Japanese VHS pre-records I'd purchased at Book Off. When I compared my notes on the English dub to my notes on the Japanese episodes I discovered that the English dub eps. are wildly out of order. #3 on the English dub disc is actually #12 on the Japanese tape and #4 is actually #11. They did something similar when they dubbed "Jungle Taitei" into English for "Kimba the White Lion." They changed the order of the episodes.

One of the Japanese video covers:
Old 08-16-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Working through the first season/volume of He-Man. It picks up some after the first few episodes. I also learned that He-Man is a cheater and part of his power comes from the metal deal on his chest. After that episode, it's kind of funny when he keeps telling people not to cheat when he's using a performance enhancer himself.

In one of the earlier episodes, he has his eyes closed and his arms over his eyes as well while shouting "I can't see". He later regains his vision after lowering his arms and opening his eyes. We know this because he shouts "I can see again".

I don't think I'll finish by the end of the month but I'm guessing at least 3 out of the 4 sets. I'll just keep going through next month since I don't have a lot of Criterions to watch.
Old 08-16-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Oooh, Millennium Actress, I should watch this again this year. I watched it a couple years ago for the first time (perhaps on your recommendation?) and really liked it. If anyone is on the fence, it's a good watch.
Millennium Actress is one of my favorite films. I've eagerly shown it to at least five friends.

I've been meandering about this month. I watched a little Disney, a little adult television, a little anime. Last night, I rewatched Ice Age: The Meltdown which is not as good as I remember. In fact I'm ejecting it from my collection since I cannot see myself revisiting it again. Now, I'm a bit frightened to rewatch the original.
Old 08-16-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Working through the first season/volume of He-Man. It picks up some after the first few episodes. I also learned that He-Man is a cheater and part of his power comes from the metal deal on his chest. After that episode, it's kind of funny when he keeps telling people not to cheat when he's using a performance enhancer himself.
I noticed that too.
Old 08-16-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just caught my first episode of American Dad of the month. I don't watch it on a regular basis, but I do enjoy it when I happen to catch it.
Old 08-16-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just caught my first episode of American Dad of the month. I don't watch it on a regular basis, but I do enjoy it when I happen to catch it.
I'd love to watch this show after it moved to TBS but I don't have cable and they don't make DVDs for it. I'm not going to buy the last few seasons that were done as DVDRs

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.