Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 09:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Believe it or not, folks, but this is the seventh year of the Historical Appreciation Challenge. Travis pored over the 2013 Discussion Thread, and has made the following adjustments for future years. Any other modification suggestions are welcomed right up until the beginning of the challenge, so go ahead and toss out your ideas!

In a nutshell, here are the basics:
  • This challenge will run from dusk on 31 May until dawn on 1 July 2016.
  • Movies and TV content specifically about a historical figure, event or period are eligible.
  • Tangential content (i.e., fantasy, time travel, movies merely set in a generic "past" where the time period is not emphasized as important) is to be excluded, except...
  • The final night of the challenge, from dusk on 30 June until dawn on 1 July, you may watch Time Travel films to count double with your Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge list. However, the setting(s) must have already taken place, so you can't watch a movie set in the future that travels to a different point in the future.

Is TV Content Allowed?
Certainly! Just make sure that it's as consistent with the spirit of the challenge as the movies you might watch. We used to allow anything on The History Channel carte blanche but with the proliferation of reality TV shows there, try to remember that no matter how dangerous driving a semi across ice is, it isn't "historical"...yet!

Counting
Many of the films at the heart of this challenge have considerable run times, so even though there's always a sort of de facto goal of hitting 100 movies watched, it's not really expected here. We'd much rather you take this opportunity to finally see Lawrence of Arabia than to squeeze in two shorter films.

Since there are no prizes for this challenge, feel free to count using whichever method best suits you. The standard is that 2 TV broadcast hours or short films is equivalent to 1 movie. Some members prefer to count each episode or short as a single entry. Others tally their cumulative viewing time. Whatever floats your boat. It's your list!

Why Aren't Documentaries on the Checklist?
It's up to each participant to decide what mix of dramatizations and documentaries best suits him or her. If you want to watch documentaries exclusively, you're welcome to do that. If you don't want to watch any, that's fine, too. Some checkmarks will be easier to attain with docs, though!

Hey, What About...?
Travis is the usual host and his BA was earned in history, but he hasn't seen every movie ever made and doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every historical figure, event and period. Regarding specific films, he would suggest--and this goes for any questions--that you ask about a specific film in the discussion thread and see what feedback you get from others who have seen it. If you don't get anything helpful, his rule of thumb is that if you feel that you have a sufficient reason to believe that it's an appropriate selection then go ahead and watch it. If it turns out not to really fit the nature of this challenge, still count it as a viewing but please share your thoughts with us.

CHECKLIST
Spoiler:
GENERAL
WHEN
Watch a film that takes place during five different centuries prior to the 20th Century (Note Century of setting):
--- Movie 1 (Century)
--- Movie 2 (Century)
--- Movie 3 (Century)
--- Movie 4 (Century)
--- Movie 5 (Century)

WHERE
Watch 5 movies about historical events of different countries (Note Country of setting).
--- Movie 1 (Country)
--- Movie 2 (Country)
--- Movie 3 (Country)
--- Movie 4 (Country)
--- Movie 5 (Country)

WHO _/10
Watch at least five of the ten following subcategories:

FOLKLORE & FAITH
--- Film about prehistory
--- Film about the mythology of Antiquity (i.e., Greek gods, dramatization of Homeric poems, etc.)
--- Film about religious history (based on either recorded historical events or fables arising from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.)
--- Film about a folk hero
--- Film about either the Humanities (fine arts) or Sports figure/event

HEY, THEY WERE THERE, TOO!: A LOOK AT MARGINALIZED PEOPLES
(Focus on prominent figures from history and/or depictions of their minority group's oppression, etc.)
--- Film about Women's History
--- Film about Race Relations
--- Film about the LGBTQ Community
--- Film about Religious Minority
--- Film about Immigrants

TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (1/2)
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (2/2)

WAR _/10
Watch at least five of the following ten War subcategories:

--- Anti-War film
--- Military Comedy
--- Prisoner of War/Escape film
--- Resistance Movement/Civilians film
--- Submarine film
--- War Spy
--- War film that was produced *during* that war
--- Film about war criminals
--- Film about veterans after the war (framing a "flashback" film doesn't count, so no Saving Private Ryan for this one)
--- Wartime propaganda film OR a film produced by the military

WESTERN _/10
Watch at least five of these ten Western subcategories:

--- The Union Pacific story. (The plot concerns construction of a railroad, a telegraph line, or some other type of modern technology or transportation.) Wagon train stories probably fall into this category.
--- The ranch story. (The plot concerns threats to the ranch from rustlers or large landowners attempting to force out the proper owners.)
--- The empire story. (The plot might involve building up a ranch empire or an oil empire from scratch, a classic rags-to-riches plot.)
--- The revenge story. (The plot often involves an elaborate chase and pursuit, but it may also include elements of the classic mystery story.)
--- The cavalry and Indian story. (The plot revolves around taming the wilderness for white settlers.)
--- The outlaw story. (The outlaw gangs dominate the action.)
--- The marshal story. (The lawman and his challenges drive the plot.)
--- "Export Western" - a Western not actually set in America. There have been numerous Westerns set in Australia, for instance. Samurai films could count for this, too, given the relationship between the two genres.
--- Western movie with a direct connection to a TV show, since Westerns were part of TV's golden age before the Space Generation
--- Neo-Western (i.e., a Western set in more contemporary times, to demonstrate the genre is still alive)

ZEITGEIST WILD CARDS
Because an argument can be made that some movies which fall outside the "obvious" scope of our challenge really are consistent with its spirit, you're permitted to watch and check off up to three optional movies of your choice.
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #1
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #2
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #3

Last edited by Trevor; 05-16-16 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

I've been waiting for this. This along with the horror challenge are the best.
Old 05-15-16, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29
I've been waiting for this. This along with the horror challenge are the best.
Hmmm, maybe I'll do a historical horror challenge.
Old 05-15-16, 09:02 PM

I haven't been able to watch a lot of movies for a while. Mostly because of work.
But these challenges force me to watch some. It probably won't be a lot.
And i'm not going to win any of these challenges.
But just putting yourself in the mindset to plan what and when you're going to watch.
Is part of the fun also.
Old 05-16-16, 09:14 AM

So something that started in the world's oldest person thread seems appropriate here, especially with the addition Travis put on my Facebook post about it.

Our tenth President, born in the 1700s John Tyler, has two living grandsons. My grandmother was born more than 100 years after him and her grandkids are old!

I'll let Travis comment/expand hopefully, but he said something very interesting on how we view history.
Old 05-16-16, 12:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to this. I don't think I'll get a whole bunch of movies in but that Films of Budd Boetticher set has been sitting around unopened for years and I think it's time to take care of that. I've also picked up a few classic war films on blu-ray that I'd like to get to and maybe some b-westerns and a documentary or two.
Old 05-16-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Looking forward to this as well. Plus the new season of Ancient Aliens has started on the History Channel.
Old 05-17-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found a Historical Horror movie you might be interested in Trevor. I believe Ginger Snaps Back is on Max Go, if you get Cinemax. If not, you could always do a free trial of Sling TV and add Cinemax.
Old 05-25-16, 07:05 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Any thoughts about starting the challenge early this year? Memorial Day weekend is coming up. TCM is airing 72 hours of classic military films starting on May 27th (Friday at 8PM).

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...May-27-30.html
Old 05-25-16, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Any thoughts about starting the challenge early this year? Memorial Day weekend is coming up. TCM is airing 72 hours of classic military films starting on May 27th (Friday at 8PM).

Didn't that happen last year too? At the last minute it was changed to include Memorial day. If I remember correctly. I'd be all for it. As I have a few days off during the holiday I could get in a few good titles to beef up my score.. But I don't run the challenge.

On a side note: There's a new History Channel documentary about the fall of the Roman empire debuting on June 6 that i'm looking forward to seeing.
Old 05-25-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I think we talk every year about starting it on Memorial Day. I don't remember when we've done that or not.
Old 05-25-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, last year, I ran it, and allowed Memorial Day. I'd be all for an early start too. It would give me ppl to discuss my documentaries I am watching with.
Old 05-25-16, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I found a Historical Horror movie you might be interested in Trevor. I believe Ginger Snaps Back is on Max Go, if you get Cinemax. If not, you could always do a free trial of Sling TV and add Cinemax.
Thanks, but I think I have the dvd. Edit to add: But seriously, thanks for the tip, would work very well if I do Historical Horror.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I think the 27th is a bit too early, but since Memorial Day is so close to the 31st dusk start of the Challenge, maybe we should start on Memorial Day this year.

But maybe with only war films counting that day; thoughts?

Last edited by Trevor; 05-25-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 12:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

During the first Historical challenge Memorial Day fell on May 31 and that was allowed as Bonus Day for the Challenge (according to my list anyway) and so that's not much different from starting a day early this year. It does feel right to have Memorial Day as part of this challenge if it's not too much before June 1. It won't really matter to me since I probably won't have time that day to watch anything at all but I say go for it. Restricting that day to war films or documentaries makes sense but I'm pretty ambivalent about that.
Old 05-25-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the idea of war films on Memorial Day. That's why we have the day.
Old 05-25-16, 02:00 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I vote for the whole Memorial Day weekend. But it's up to you guys.

I might start the challenge early on my own, since it's just for fun. I was planning on switching over to TCM on Friday night and letting it play all weekend. Looks like there's at least a dozen movies I haven't seen before on that line-up.

Also airing on Memorial Day is that Roots remake (May 30th - June 2nd).
Old 05-25-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

And this is that rare year where Memorial Day is actually celebrated on the exact day that was established as Memorial Day (May 30) long before they started shifting all holidays to Monday to give us three-day weekends.
Old 05-25-16, 02:22 PM

A beauty of the Historical Appreciation Challenge is that the May Make-Your-Own Challenge precedes it (and allows multiple themes), so all of us could start the Historical Appreciation Challenge a whole month early actually.

For now, let's go with a bonus 48 hours of war films or Memorial Day specific documentaries. Instead of starting at dusk/sunset on the 31st of May, we can start at dusk/sunset on Sunday the 29th, the night leading into Memorial Day.
Old 05-25-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
A beauty of the Historical Appreciation Challenge is that the May Make-Your-Own Challenge precedes it (and allows multiple themes), so all of us could start the Historical Appreciation Challenge a whole month early actually.

For now, let's go with a bonus 48 hours of war films or Memorial Day specific documentaries. Instead of starting at dusk/sunset on the 31st of May, we can start at dusk/sunset on Sunday the 29th, the night leading into Memorial Day.
I'm fine with that. I'm doing documentaries anyways as part of my Make Your Own Challenge, and that's the favorite part of this challenge for me.

Interestingly enough, I discovered a show I already watch today is according to the Dish Guide, a documentary, Send in the Dogs, on Fido TV. It's classified as education.
Old 05-25-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Which part of "Please don't duplicate an existing 'Official' DVD Talk Challenge" did you not understand?
Old 05-25-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Which part of "Please don't duplicate an existing 'Official' DVD Talk Challenge" did you not understand?
Old 05-25-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh, come now, all you have to do is pair historical films with... oh, I don't know... let's say Moe.
Old 05-26-16, 10:32 AM

I'm fine with that. I was planning on doing a lot of war films anyway. Starting
on Sunday night would be great.
Old 05-26-16, 11:23 AM

Having the word "please" makes it just a suggestion
Old 05-26-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Having the word "please" makes it just a suggestion
Actually, officially it's a "guideline."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.