Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

Old 06-20-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual Historical Appreciation Challenge Discussion - June 2016

I watched The Last of the Mohicans today. I haven't read the book. I wanted to ask if the romance between Hawkeye and the Munro girl was part of the book or just a Hollywood addition.
Old 06-20-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks to Netflix, I discovered Forensic Files is considered a documentary series, so I've been watching episodes here and there on HLN. I first discovered the show during the first Action Adventure Crime Mystery Challenge, and any challenge it is eligible, I take the chance to watch some episodes.
Old 06-20-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Over the weekend, I got in two movies: The Cimarron Kid and Evita. The former is an Audie Murphy western and biopic of Bill Doolin. It's a pretty standard outlaw story with several impressive set pieces. There is a shootout on a railroad turntable that was fantastic to watch; I watched it again after the film ended.
Today was Audie Murphy's birthday. I watched an excellent Audie movie last Thursday on Encore Western, THE WILD AND THE INNOCENT, in which he co-stars with Sandra Dee, so I watched an Errol Flynn movie today, OBJECTIVE BURMA, since it's also Flynn's birthday.
Old 06-21-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Watched Inglourious Basterds finally. But now it's 1:35am and I have a course at 8:00am. Couldn't stop this movie in the middle though. It was too engaging. Also, I know it's late, but even tired, I'm pretty sure I don't remember WWII ending this way... Could just be the late hour though...
Old 06-21-16, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pacaway
Watched Inglourious Basterds finally. But now it's 1:35am and I have a course at 8:00am. Couldn't stop this movie in the middle though. It was too engaging. Also, I know it's late, but even tired, I'm pretty sure I don't remember WWII ending this way... Could just be the late hour though...
There was no movie like that, you just dreamed it. Are dreams eligible for this challenge?
Old 06-21-16, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There was no movie like that, you just dreamed it. Are dreams eligible for this challenge?
That would explain a lot, actually!
Old 06-21-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen 14 westerns so far in this challenge, mostly on the Encore Western Channel....
I've now seen 19 westerns so far, including an Audie Murphy western this morning (I started watching last night on Audie's birthday), THE CIMARRON KID, in which he played famous outlaw Bill Doolin. And yesterday morning, I watched ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO (1967) on Encore Western. It stars Dean Martin as the bad guy and George Peppard as the reluctant hero. It was quite good.
Old 06-21-16, 10:55 AM

I've now seen 19 westerns so far, including an Audie Murphy western this morning (I started watching last night on Audie's birthday), THE CIMARRON KID, in which he played famous outlaw Bill Doolin. And yesterday morning, I watched ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO (1967) on Encore Western. It stars Dean Martin as the bad guy and George Peppard as the reluctant hero. It was quite good.
I got in a couple of Audie Murphy movies earlier.
To Hell and Back and 40 Guns to Apache Pass.
Hopefully I'll be able to get in Apache Rifles sometime soon.
Old 06-21-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

What did you think of The Cimarron Kid? I enjoyed it, especially the shootout on the railroad turntable. Audie Murphy is solid and hits every beat to give the story that tragic edge. He's one of those actors that I think of workhorse actors who play largely straightforward roles. He lacks the intensity of Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson, but he plays roles that don't really require that extra level of introspection. In this film, he's so boyishly handsome in this film that it's a little distracting. And speaking of that, why isn't Yvette Duguay a name? I looked over her resume which is mostly episodes of TV series. She's so good in this film.
Old 06-21-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Now I'm looking through the imdb pages of the cast of The Cimarron Kid. I thought Beverly Tyler looked familiar; I saw her recently in Voodoo Island which is a fun little film. Hugh O'Brian (who is very good as the dumb, devious Redd) was in so many things! I know him from watching episodes of The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp with my grandfather.
Old 06-21-16, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The O'Brian Wyatt Earp series is running every afternoon on Encore Western.

I liked CIMARRON KID quite a bit. In addition to a female Mexican character (Yvette Dugay) who's an equal participant in the action, there's a black character who's a member of the gang, Stacey, played by Frank Silvera, and he's a dignified character treated as an equal and with respect by the others. He has them all over to his home for dinner and we see his wife and three children. He doesn't participate in the robberies but he tends the horses and the wagons and the logistics for the capers. At one point, O'Brian balks at contributing to Stacy's share, but the others all insist.

I'm a huge fan of Audie Murphy and I think this is one of his best, along with KANSAS RAIDERS, THE KID FROM TEXAS, DUEL AT SILVER CREEK, RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL, POSSE FROM HELL and THE WILD AND THE INNOCENT, among others. I wrote the first IMDB review of CIMARRON KID back in 2001. (There are now 12 others.) In three of his first four westerns, he played famous outlaws: Billy the Kid, Jesse James and, in CIMARRON KID, Bill Doolin.

Murphy was a war hero who wound up in Hollywood through forces beyond his control. He was not a trained actor, but good directors like Budd Boetticher and Don Siegel knew how to get good performances out of him. And when the script played to his strengths, he responded in kind. In some of his later, lower-budgeted westerns, he just phones it in, working for the quick money. Gambling and drinking got the better of him and he died in a plane crash in 1971 after doing a cameo as Jesse James in Boetticher's last western, A TIME FOR DYING, which is not a very good film.

I finished watching THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956) this afternoon and made it #45 on my list (see post #26 in the List Thread). I'd started watching it a couple of days ago, but it's nearly 4 hours and hard to do in one sitting. It was the first time I'd seen it uninterrupted by commercials and in its proper aspect ratio since last seeing it on the big screen in 1972. It was kind of funny to see Yvonne De Carlo in such a prestigious role (as Moses' wife) the same year she made RAW EDGE, a hard-bitten western with Rory Calhoun that I watched last week. TEN COMMANDMENTS was the 7th film from 1956 I've seen for this challenge. The two 1956 films I saw earlier this year would also have fit this challenge. What a great movie year: THE SEARCHERS, LUST FOR LIFE, JUBAL, ATTACK!, TEN COMMANDMENTS and, for the Sci-Fi challenge, FORBIDDEN PLANET and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-21-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been taking advantage of this challenge to watch episodes of Ancient Aliens. I have Seasons 1-4 on DVD, and have the rest of the seasons available On Demand for an indefinite period of time on the History Channel On Roku. Just finished an interesting episode about the importance of Orion.
Old 06-22-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In continuing watching Ancient Aliens, I came across an interesting episode on the History Channel On Roku from season 5 about ancient tombs. The general premise was why did tombs from all over the world share such similar characteristics.
Old 06-22-16, 10:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
In continuing watching Ancient Aliens, I came across an interesting episode on the History Channel On Roku from season 5 about ancient tombs. The general premise was why did tombs from all over the world share such similar characteristics.
Hint: the answer does not include aliens.
Old 06-22-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Hint: the answer does not include aliens.
LOL, I know.
Old 06-22-16, 12:40 PM

Just finished Hang' em High. It was great in 5.1 blu. Had to get in at least 1, hopefully more, Eastwood films before this thing is over.
Old 06-22-16, 02:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

LOL, I know.
Just making sure, as I'm running out of tin foil hats.
Old 06-23-16, 06:35 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm doing a John Wayne marathon. It started off with a Western double feature:

The War Wagon (1967)
The Train Robbers (1973)

And that was followed by a WWII Pacific double feature:

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The Fighting Seabees (1944)
Old 06-23-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get me primed for Shark Week, I just finished Shark Week Sharktacular 2016, on the Discovery Channel, which is the show that kicks off the official countdown to Shark Week 2016.
Old 06-23-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm doing a John Wayne marathon. It started off with a Western double feature:

The War Wagon (1967)
The Train Robbers (1973)

And that was followed by a WWII Pacific double feature:

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The Fighting Seabees (1944)
I've only done three Waynes so far for this challenge: BACK TO BATAAN, THE SEARCHERS, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER.
Old 06-23-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I've only done three Waynes so far for this challenge: BACK TO BATAAN, THE SEARCHERS, THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER.
That's 2 more than I've watched. I have a half dozen or so in the queue but just haven't made time for them yet... The only one for me so far has been Rio Bravo.
Old 06-24-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of John Wayne, I was lucky to catch yesterday's episode of "Wagon Train" on Encore Western. It was "The Colter Craven Story" and was directed by John Ford, mentor of the series' star, Ward Bond. It was filled with Ford's stock company (Carleton Young, Anna Lee, Hank Worden, Ken Curtis, John Carradine, et al) and in the Shiloh flashback scene in which Bond's character interacts with General U.S. Grant (Paul Birch), there's an appearance by General Sherman, seen only in silhouette and with one or two lines of dialogue, but it's unmistakably John Wayne, who's billed in the credits as "Michael Morris," a play on his real name.

What a treat.
Old 06-24-16, 06:20 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

The John Wayne marathon continued with two WWII Navy movies:

Operation Pacific (1951)
They Were Expendable (1945)

And then a Western double feature:

The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
Big Jake (1971)
Old 06-24-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an interesting documentary on Amazon Prime about the Norse traders who came to Canada centuries before Columbus. If anyone has Prime and is interested in seeing it, it's called The Norse: An Arctic Mystery.
Old 06-24-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I just finished an interesting documentary on Amazon Prime about the Norse traders who came to Canada centuries before Columbus. If anyone has Prime and is interested in seeing it, it's called The Norse: An Arctic Mystery.
Sounds interesting... I added it to my queue. Thanks!

I discovered a DVD set I'm interested in is available for "Free" Prime streaming and watched a episode last night. It's Secrets of War (link to streaming version) narrated by Charlton Heston. It was interesting enough that I'll be watching a few more episodes and will likely purchase the discs (currently ~$13).

After that I found a few more documentaries that are leaving Prime in a few days so I added them to my queue and watched a couple:

Nazi Attack on America was a interesting look at the sinking of U-166 in the Gulf of Mexico during WWII. It promotes itself a bit deceptively with this blurb:
Long before 9/11, a far deadlier, little-known attack from the ocean depths struck our shores, lasting three-and-a-half years and claiming 5,000 lives.
But that includes *all* the attacks made by German submarines on US properties during those years, most of which were outside US territory. Not that that makes it better but the blurb makes it sound like the US was actually invaded when it was actually a handful of spies which were caught rather quickly. It was more about the captain of the boat which actually sunk the sub, the years of the Navy officially saying he didn't do it, and the efforts to redeem his act. Don't let that Jack Ballard is involved dissuade you from watching as it's one of the better films in which he participates I've seen. Far less fluff/filler than normal for him.

Inside the Court of Henry VIII was a nicely produced condensation of his entire reign. There was no new-to-me information but what *was* put forward was well done, even though significant events were somewhat short due to it being a ~55 minute production. One point made that I'd never considered before was that *without* Henry VIII and his religious reforms the US would be quite a different place and likely *not* be descended from a English settlement.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.