Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i just watched rollins the grapes of death. if you havent seen it i highly recommend it
this person speaks the Truth
Old 10-21-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I just finished Creepshow. Always loved that movie.
Old 10-21-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Also, mad scientist and Jaws 19.
Also:
  • Skulking around a graveyard at night in Part II.
  • Post-apocalyptic-esque retro-"future" in Part II.
  • Bullied's revenge in Parts I & II.
Clutching at straws, but there are straws to clutch at.

I imagine most challenges should allow super-wildcard entries for actually important* anniversary dates for notable films, too.

*This, for example, seems "important" and is a specific day, month and year. "Just" an anniversary doesn't necessarily really cut it, but unique cases like BttF seem fair game.
Old 10-21-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It's a sequel to a remake.
I know WHAT it is. I'm asking HOW did it get a 3rd sequel =/

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Reviews always seem much harder to write the last third of the challenge.
Pretty much. I'm almost about to give up. I'm going to try hard tomorrow and the weekend to catch up on my reviews and catch up on film. If I'm not close to 100 by Sunday, throwing in the towel and focusing on the NBA season and PS4.

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
All Hallows' Eve & All Hallows' Eve 2 are good anthologies I seen for this years challenge. Check them out
Are those movies easy to access online or anywhere?

Originally Posted by Trevor
My wife really wants me to watch the Back to the Future films with her today, today being the official BttF Day and all. But I can't do the mental gymnastics necessary to make it count even using all my wildcards. As much as I love her, there are just too many good ghost movies I want to watch. Any other month and I'd comply with her request, even if I hated the films (and I love them). Am I a bad husband?
Horror has a MONTH. BttF has one DAY. If you can't give a day for this amazing series for your wife, I think you answered that question yourself lol. But glad you changed your mind and did it. Not like you are losing 4 hours from horror as just about everyone is doing it anyways.
Old 10-21-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just finished watching Detention and saying that it is one of the most unique horror films I have ever seen is an understatement.
Old 10-21-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Winterbeast was shot in 1989 over a 2 day period in 8mm, and looks straight out of the mid 70's. It sorta kinda reminiscent of Equinox, but with stop-motion animation that would make Ray Harryhausen spin in his grave ...from excitement. It also had a killer Totem pole. Winterbeast took place in Autumn.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Yesterday, I met up with some friends of tapas and a special theatrical screening of The Exorcist. It was fun to see the film on the big screen, though a lot of it got laughs from the audience.
Modern audiences are the worst.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Are those movies easy to access online or anywhere?
They're both on Amazon Video.
Old 10-21-15, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
Winterbeast was shot in 1989 over a 2 day period in 8mm, and looks straight out of the mid 70's. It sorta kinda reminiscent of Equinox, but with stop-motion animation that would make Ray Harryhausen spin in his grave ...from excitement. It also had a killer Totem pole. Winterbeast took place in Autumn.
Awesome movie. I always double-bill it with Equinox, including once for the challenge (2012).
Old 10-21-15, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was going to go see [the Back to the Future trilogy] at the theater tonight and take my son but we wouldn't get home until after 11:30. Too late for a school night for a 6th grader and he would have to miss soccer practice as well. Just couldn't make it work.
I know that feeling... we got tickets because all the advertising implied it was JUST Part II coming back to theaters, but then the price suggested otherwise and we debated and eventually wound up going, but leaving before Part III. 11.30 is too late on a school/work night.
Old 10-21-15, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Ha!

What We Do in the Shadows is so great!
Yes. Yes, it is.
Old 10-21-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished one of my favorite John Carpenter movies, Christine. Killer car. How can you go wrong?
Old 10-21-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched Back to the Future II (1989); how could I not? Debated wild carding it, because alternate 1985 is horrific, but decided not to. I did manage to squeeze in Wolf Devil Woman a 1982 horror wu xia, starring, written, produced, and directed by Pearl Cheung. Totally gonzo and the production values are all over the place. At it's best it reminded me of some of Taiwan's Union Film's wu xia and at it's worse, well let me just mention how they used a pack of German Shepherds to portray a pack of wolves, for instance. Good times.
Old 10-22-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Modern audiences are the worst.
I agree. Last year, my friends went to see The Shining and apparently had to deal with a drunken buffoon who kept hooting and pumping his fists in the air. I think one of the worst things I've witnessed at one of these "classics" screening is a mother loudly telling her kids that the effects in Ghostbusters were terrible because they were so old.

I've been rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer which is just as amazing as I remember. While conventional opinion decrees that season one is almost unwatchable, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm also watching Star Trek: DS9 so every time Principal Synder shows up I cannot help but see Quark.

I've got lots of family obligations for the rest of the month, so I'm not sure how many more films I'll be able to watch. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the checklist.
Old 10-22-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Watched Back to the Future II (1989); how could I not? Debated wild carding it, because alternate 1985 is horrific, but decided not to.
I can't tell if people are joking or serious anymore.
Old 10-22-15, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just finished one of my favorite John Carpenter movies, Christine. Killer car. How can you go wrong?
The commentary for that is very good. Highly recommend.

Question about tonight's subset: Would it be acceptable to not watch Terror in the Isles and replace it with a movie watched in the cinema? I just ask because I see a lot of talk on the subset's thread and it looks as though a few or more people are concerned it may spoil movies they haven't seen yet.

I know the rules for theatrical showing are that it's optional and a bonus day, but not sure if that qualifies as a replacement day.
Old 10-22-15, 06:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
The commentary for that is very good. Highly recommend.

Question about tonight's subset: Would it be acceptable to not watch Terror in the Isles and replace it with a movie watched in the cinema? I just ask because I see a lot of talk on the subset's thread and it looks as though a few or more people are concerned it may spoil movies they haven't seen yet.

I know the rules for theatrical showing are that it's optional and a bonus day, but not sure if that qualifies as a replacement day.
Yes, in the past Chad has said that seeing a film in the theater can be a wildcard for one of the subset films. You can still get 100% on the subset and skip one.

In the future we probably should think twice about making a spoilerific clip show a subset pick, imho.
Old 10-22-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I can't tell if people are joking or serious anymore.
I agree. If you seriously consider counting BTTF II as anything on your list, wildcard or not, that is just sad.

I watched Dancing With The Stars the other night (at my wife's request) and found it to be horrific. Paula Dean danced like a dead person. Maybe I should count that?
Old 10-22-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How has it taken me this long to see Mad Monster Party?
Old 10-22-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I am watching "Death Screams" right now.

Man. This movie....man. At least it's bad enough to be funny.
Old 10-22-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

These Hollie Horror lists can be pretty unreliable for theme nights. I watched Suburban Gothic yesterday, which might have had like 30 seconds in something barely recognizable as a library. Oh, well. It counts, but I like to hit the themes with a bit more bite than that, especially when I can typically only get one or two flicks per day in.

Thought I'd share my trivia answer for favorite subgenres of horror:

1. Slasher - Grew up with the classic ones and still enjoy watching those late seventies, early eighties gems with so many still to discover. Just watched Night School for this challenge and it was really cool. I do enjoy the newer stuff when done well like The Collector and Laid to Rest.

2. Serial Killer/True Crime Horror - I love films told largely from the POV of a killer, like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Hillside Strangler or Ted Bundy. Based on true crime is great, but fictional characters can be just as entertaining.

3. Giallo - I love a good giallo because of the style and feel of those Italian greats. It's best when there is a murder mystery involved and the crazier the better. Umberto Lenzi, Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava...you can't go wrong. I also dig the American films that are heavily inspired by giallo, like Brian DePalma's best work.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to Monday's theme night! Always my favorite of the challenge.
Old 10-22-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, in the past Chad has said that seeing a film in the theater can be a wildcard for one of the subset films. You can still get 100% on the subset and skip one.

In the future we probably should think twice about making a spoilerific clip show a subset pick, imho.
Now that you mention in I do remember that being addressed in a past challenge.

For those of you that are die-hard Back to the Future fans, today's USA Today has the cover from the movie (the paper in the movie is dated 22 Oct, since Doc brought Marty to the day prior based on the paper's headlines).

Not only is it cool to read all the headlines as in the movie, but the inside page has a two-panel-size advert for Jaws 19.
Old 10-22-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I agree. If you seriously consider counting BTTF II as anything on your list, wildcard or not, that is just sad.
Agreed. If this were the sci-fi challenge, no problem, but it's October, not July.

Speaking of sad, whoever chose the clips in Terror in the Aisles was unclear on the concept of "horror movie". I can stretch a point on a few of the films, like Marathon Man because the interrogation by drill is pretty damn horrific, but why add scenes from Midnight Express and the oddly obscure Stallone flick Nighthawks? Those are action movies, not horror films.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-22-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Has anybody else here seen Detention (2011)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701990/)

If not, I'm highly recommending it as a watch. I

watched it last night and still thinking about it and will rewatch again soon because I'm sure I missed a whole bunch of things. It's not going to be for everybody but I thought it was pretty amazing and haven't really seen anything like it in the genre. It's got:

Spoiler:

Time travel
Slashers
Horror references ala Scream
Bear sex
Mascot abuse
Mutations
Awesome music
Ron Jeremy
Hot vintage overalls!

I admit to a being a bit biased due to one of the eras this flick focuses on (I was a teen then myself) but loved the frenetic editing and movie references and how all over the place this flick was. It's like Scott Pilgrim mixed with MTV editing and modern vs 90s.

Anyway, check it out. Interested in what others think.
Old 10-22-15, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by indiephantom
These Hollie Horror lists can be pretty unreliable for theme nights. I watched Suburban Gothic yesterday, which might have had like 30 seconds in something barely recognizable as a library. Oh, well. It counts, but I like to hit the themes with a bit more bite than that, especially when I can typically only get one or two flicks per day in.

Thought I'd share my trivia answer for favorite subgenres of horror:

1. Slasher - Grew up with the classic ones and still enjoy watching those late seventies, early eighties gems with so many still to discover. Just watched Night School for this challenge and it was really cool. I do enjoy the newer stuff when done well like The Collector and Laid to Rest.

2. Serial Killer/True Crime Horror - I love films told largely from the POV of a killer, like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, The Hillside Strangler or Ted Bundy. Based on true crime is great, but fictional characters can be just as entertaining.

3. Giallo - I love a good giallo because of the style and feel of those Italian greats. It's best when there is a murder mystery involved and the crazier the better. Umberto Lenzi, Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava...you can't go wrong. I also dig the American films that are heavily inspired by giallo, like Brian DePalma's best work.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to Monday's theme night! Always my favorite of the challenge.
I went with:
Zombies - it's been my favourite subgenre since I was a kid, I don't think I could ever get sick of them.
Psychological - it's a pretty broad genre, but I find that they're rarely ever 'bad', usually mediocre -> great.
Comedy Horror - I can't think of any other two subgenres that go together so well, especially when they shouldn't. Striking the right balance between the two seems to be difficult for most films though.

Difficult for me to pick though coz it depends on my mood (aside from zombies of course. Zombies #1 forever)
Old 10-22-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Has anybody else here seen Detention (2011)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701990/)
I watched it for the challenge maybe a couple of years back and really liked it. It was quite different, so it was a great break from the monotony of the stuff I'd been watching at that point. I have the Blu-ray now, and haven't seen it since, so a re-watch is definitely in the cards for the very near future.
Old 10-22-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Pre-watch? What sort of bizarre rules are you all coming up with over there?
Pre-watch is when you put it on your list but don't count it and number it. So you don't get credit for it, but you still list it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.