DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Rules

This Challenge overlaps with two well-established Challenges - October's Horror Challenge and the November-December Holiday Challenge. During the overlapping days, you can receive "double credit" by listing any qualifying items watched for those other two Challenges on your Comedy Challenge list.

It should be self-evident what titles qualify, but if you have questions about something you've never seen, check out its genre classification on IMDB, Allmovie, or metacritic, or ask about it in the discussion thread. Live events (stand-up acts, plays, TV show tapings, etc.) and audio performances (comedy albums, old-time radio shows) can also be listed.

Post your list in the list thread. Be as creative or as basic with your list as you want.

You may number (or not number) the items on your list any way you like. However, the preferred method is, as with the Holiday Challenge, any title watched, no matter how long or how short, counts as one list item. This should make it easier to record qualifying items on both lists if you participate in both Challenges.

List thread is now active

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Free stuff!

Once again, the great folks at Hamilton Books will be providing us with some cool prizes. Thanks, GoldenWheels!

100 Greatest Comedy Classics - 24 DVDs, Mill Creek

The Three Stooges: Triple Feature - Blu-ray, Mill Creek

The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night - DVD, Criterion

Triple Feature: The Awful Truth / Born Yesterday / His Girl Friday - 3 DVDs, Sony

GoldenWheels told me that he may have some additional comedy stuff to throw our way. So we could have more stuff for the four winners, or more than 4 winners in the end.

HOW TO WIN
Winners will be chosen at random (using Random.org) from a list of active participants (two winners will be chosen from all active participants, and two from all active participants who haven't won during a previous Comedy Challenge). Each person who nominated prizes and/or voted for the prize selection will receive one additional entry in each of the prize drawings for which he or she is eligible.

You must have a U.S. address to receive a prize.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-13-15 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

I'm open to suggestions. So fire away.

Let me know if you want to have theme nights and a checklist. What you'd like on the checklist & theme nights list. Whatever else you think should be changed.
Old 10-08-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

The special announcement concerning prizes mentioned above:

As some of you know, when hosting a challenge, part of the host's duties is picking prizes for the prize giveaway. Well, for this challenge, I thought we'd try something new - we're opening up the prize selection into a group project.

Here's how I hope this will work: You, the challengers, take a few minutes and either go to HamiltonBook.com or look through one of their print catalogs and pick out one or two comedy-related items (either books, DVDs, or Blu-rays) that you think would make cool prizes. Something you'd want to win yourself if given the chance, but that you think others might enjoy also (let's keep it under say $25). Then post your picks here in this thread. Eventually, depending on how many responses you folks give me, we'll have a vote (I guess I could add a poll option, or use PMs) and the top vote-getters will be two of the prizes offered.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-08-15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 08:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Welcome back!
Old 10-08-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Welcome back!
Me? Or the Comedy Challenge?
Old 10-08-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Can't wait. Been chomping at the bit for some good old Three Stooges. And I already told you what prize I was interested in in my earlier PM.
Old 10-08-15, 09:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Me? Or the Comedy Challenge?
Yes!
Old 10-09-15, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I always enjoy this one. Already have stuff saved on the DVR for it.
Old 10-09-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

That's *exactly* what I thought when Dimension X posted the query.
Old 10-09-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking forward to it.

..take a few minutes and either go to HamiltonBook.com or look through one of their print catalogs and pick out one or two comedy-related items (either books, DVDs, or Blu-rays) that you think would make cool prizes. Something you'd want to win yourself if given the chance, but that you think others might enjoy also...
Agatha Christie's Miss Marple Collection (4 films)
THE COMPLEAT AL: "Weird Al" Yankovic
The Euro-Sex Comedy Collection
Old 10-09-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Can't wait. Been chomping at the bit for some good old Three Stooges. And I already told you what prize I was interested in in my earlier PM.
Originally Posted by ntnon
Looking forward to it.

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple Collection (4 films)
THE COMPLEAT AL: "Weird Al" Yankovic
The Euro-Sex Comedy Collection
Thank you both for helping. Great picks!

Here's what we have to choose from so far:

Keep 'em coming, folks.
Old 10-10-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I have tons of comedy between DVD's, Roku, Comedy Central, HBO Comedy, not to mention any other comedy that shows up on Dish, I am seriously considering slowing way down on the Horror Challenge, so that I can get a head start on watching my comedy. With my chronic depression, combining with worry about family health problems, I think I could use the laughs.
Old 10-10-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night while browsing Amazon Instant Video, I saw that Prime has quite a lot of stand up on it. Also this morning, I watched an episode of I Love Lucy, and Robot Chicken.
Old 10-12-15, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The special announcement concerning prizes mentioned above:

As some of you know, when hosting a challenge, part of the host's duties is picking prizes for the prize giveaway. Well, for this challenge, I thought we'd try something new - we're opening up the prize selection into a group project.

Here's how I hope this will work: You, the challengers, take a few minutes and either go to HamiltonBook.com or look through one of their print catalogs and pick out one or two comedy-related items (either books, DVDs, or Blu-rays) that you think would make cool prizes. Something you'd want to win yourself if given the chance, but that you think others might enjoy also (let's keep it under say $25). Then post your picks here in this thread. Eventually, depending on how many responses you folks give me, we'll have a vote (I guess I could add a poll option, or use PMs) and the top vote-getters will be two of the prizes offered.

I hope that makes sense.
Is there a deadline when you want suggestions in by? I've been gone the last 3 or 4 days so haven't had any free time to sit down and look through the selection. I'm not sure if I'll get to it tomorrow, but I should have some time by Tuesday night.
Old 10-12-15, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LJG765
Is there a deadline when you want suggestions in by? I've been gone the last 3 or 4 days so haven't had any free time to sit down and look through the selection. I'm not sure if I'll get to it tomorrow, but I should have some time by Tuesday night.
Not really. The prizes don't have to be picked before we start. However, the sooner we choose them, the sooner GoldenWheels can gather them up so we don't have our top choices going out of stock on us. Any time this week should work fine, but we can stretch it out longer if anyone needs the extra time and requests it.
Old 10-12-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to cheat and give you six titles for consideration:

MYRNA LOY AND WILLIAM POWELL COLLECTION - 3 of the 5 films are rom/com.

THE STAN LAUREL COLLECTION: Slapstick Symposium

THE HAROLD LLOYD COLLECTION: Slapstick Symposium

THE CHARLEY CHASE COLLECTION, VOLUME 2: Slapstick Symposium

CLASSIC COMEDY TEAMS COLLECTION
(I own this one and it's great for those early comic team lovers - has two films each from Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, and Abbott and Costello)

100 GREATEST COMEDY CLASSICS (another "set" I own that's full of old comedy films from lots of different folks - it's two Mill Creek "50 film" comedy sets in a single package)

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-12-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wondering if I'm the only one who is having trouble staying away from comedy until November? I love it and could watch it any time.
Old 10-12-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comedy, SF/Fantasy, Horror (primarily "classic" pre-70s) - my 3 "go to" genres. Pick one - any time.
Old 10-13-15, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm going to cheat and give you six titles for consideration:

MYRNA LOY AND WILLIAM POWELL COLLECTION - 3 of the 5 films are rom/com.

THE STAN LAUREL COLLECTION: Slapstick Symposium

THE HAROLD LLOYD COLLECTION: Slapstick Symposium

THE CHARLEY CHASE COLLECTION, VOLUME 2: Slapstick Symposium

CLASSIC COMEDY TEAMS COLLECTION
(I own this one and it's great for those early comic team lovers - has two films each from Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, and Abbott and Costello)

100 GREATEST COMEDY CLASSICS (another "set" I own that's full of old comedy films from lots of different folks - it's two Mill Creek "50 film" comedy sets in a single package)
That's fine. You can make up for the lack of participants.

The Harold LLoyd Collection was a prize in an earlier Comedy Challenge, so I might drop that one.
Old 10-13-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Prize suggestions:

WILL HAY DOUBLE FEATURE, VOL. 1: The Rank Collection (a pity the three other volumes aren't available)

THE BOB HOPE COLLECTION, VOLUME 2 (mostly for Son of Paleface (1952))
Old 10-13-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fine. You can make up for the lack of participants.

The Harold LLoyd Collection was a prize in an earlier Comedy Challenge, so I might drop that one.
I didn't think to check past offerings. I'd say drop it for that reason but since you're planning a vote to see which 2 suggestions make it to the prize table it'll either not get enough votes or still be a desirable title. Maybe just wait a bit and see if any more suggestions are forthcoming before deciding.

Something that might be holding people back is the difficulty searching for comedy titles (DVD or print). I thought it'd be fairly easy to do in the "Power search" function (pick media and genre, use the results to narrow by price) but discovered there's no "comedy" choice. The "Humor" only returns 6 DVD titles (lots of print, though). Maybe there's a search function I'm missing?
Old 10-13-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have we done the Marx Brothers set as a prize in the past?

I wanted to vote for Police Academy but they only have the first one on DVD. Was hoping for the collection or at the very least, the dvd with the first 4.

Something that might be holding people back is the difficulty searching for comedy titles (DVD or print). I thought it'd be fairly easy to do in the "Power search" function (pick media and genre, use the results to narrow by price) but discovered there's no "comedy" choice. The "Humor" only returns 6 DVD titles (lots of print, though). Maybe there's a search function I'm missing?
Pick DVDs from the main bar at the top, then movies from the left side, then you can choose comedy.

Or just click this list that takes you to the same place
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/dvds?lim..._id=CDY&view=1
Old 10-13-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

I wanted to vote for Police Academy but they only have the first one on DVD. Was hoping for the collection or at the very least, the dvd with the first 4.
I don't think so... Both, or either, of those sets would make good prizes. I purchased them years ago and watch the films regularly. They are good prints.

Yeah, that PA set would be nice. I already have it but it's a, mostly, fun series of films.

Pick DVDs from the main bar at the top, then movies from the left side, then you can choose comedy.

I'd have sworn I tried that... oh well... Thanks!
Old 10-13-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Prize suggestions:

WILL HAY DOUBLE FEATURE, VOL. 1: The Rank Collection (a pity the three other volumes aren't available)

THE BOB HOPE COLLECTION, VOLUME 2 (mostly for Son of Paleface (1952))
Thanks. Added to the list. I'll post an updated list later.
I didn't think to check past offerings. I'd say drop it for that reason but since you're planning a vote to see which 2 suggestions make it to the prize table it'll either not get enough votes or still be a desirable title. Maybe just wait a bit and see if any more suggestions are forthcoming before deciding.
I decided to go ahead and keep Harold LLoyd in there.
Don't worry if it's been offered in the past or not. I decided that was an unnecessary qualification. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks. I know I'd stumbled on that in the past, but I had forgotten how I got there.
Old 10-13-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Suggestions:

-Tracy & Hepburn Signature Collection
-Classic Comedy Teams Collection
-Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory
-Newsradio: The Complete First, Second, and Third Seasons
-Soap: The Complete Series
-Jeeves & Wooster: Complete Collection

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.