The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 08:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Off topic post here, but you are all my friends here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions on a quandary. A stray cat adopted us, and he is very loving. I just spent the last half hour sitting in the snow on the porch cuddling with him while he walked all over me, purring, nosing, and kissing me. My problem is he wants to be a house cat, as he tried to follow me inside, but we have 4 big dogs, boxers, the smallest of which is still 55 lbs. I'm afraid the dogs would hurt or kill him if we brought him inside. I'm torn as I know the cat wants to live inside.
Do you have a room which you could keep the cat in where the dogs can't go? Some dogs and cats get along fine if they are introduced slowly and with supervision.
Old 11-24-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Originally Posted by hbsvb
Do you have a room which you could keep the cat in where the dogs can't go? Some dogs and cats get along fine if they are introduced slowly and with supervision.
We could make a room.
Old 11-25-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I had originally thought of this category as including real brothers (like those on BobO'Link's first list: The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers, The Ritz Brothers, and The Wayans Brothers) and hadn't even considered fictional brothers (which I think is a great interpretation - but anything that forces Trevor to watch more than one thing to meet his OCD theme day obligations is okay by me ). Changing it to "funny family" would open it up to just about any sitcom (or every sitcom, depending on your interpretation of "family"), so that might be too open.
I originally was thinking brothers/sisters but then thought immediate family, moms, dads, wives/husbands...but I'd be okay with pretty much anything that opens it up a bit. I admit to just thinking of actual brothers acting was what was being called for, but when people started recommending directors that helped too. I did end up watching a Three Stooges skit that I thought was alright. I chuckled a place or two, but they are not my favorite...but more watchable than I remembered!
I just watched Mom and Dad Save the World, on HBO Family, for the first time. I don't know how I missed seeing this movie. I thought it was pretty good.
I discovered this one for the first time this summer and I loved it. I almost immediately bought the DVD. I almost watched it again this challenge but I decided to save it for next summer.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ha! Luckily I saw this after it was too late to obsessively watch all possible relations.

Speaking of OCD, anyone else trying to make every viewing fit the comedy theme AND qualify for the Holiday Challenge as well?
No, but I do try to watch at least one item that qualifies for each. I do kind of look to see if the Holiday ones qualify for comedy though and have skipped to one that does. It more depends on what I'm in the mood for, though.

Off topic post here, but you are all my friends here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions on a quandary. A stray cat adopted us, and he is very loving. I just spent the last half hour sitting in the snow on the porch cuddling with him while he walked all over me, purring, nosing, and kissing me. My problem is he wants to be a house cat, as he tried to follow me inside, but we have 4 big dogs, boxers, the smallest of which is still 55 lbs. I'm afraid the dogs would hurt or kill him if we brought him inside. I'm torn as I know the cat wants to live inside.
I'd follow Lisa's advice. Put it in a spare room and let them all get used to each other's scents. I'd also introduce them one at a time. I have a cat myself and while I don't have a dog, my siblings do. They get along really well now when they see each other, but it took time. Also, when they are together, make sure the cat has a place to go that the dogs can't get to-a cat tree or the top of piece of furniture.

Even more off topic, please, please, please don't declaw it! If you are worried about the cat scratching the furniture, buy at least one scratching post (fairly inexpensive for the small ones) and use soft paws. They are a nail cap that goes over a cat's claws and are adhered by a non toxic glue. They are about $20 for 40 of them and they last about 4-8 weeks depending on how fast the cat's claws shed. They are easy to use and work great. Tons of colors or even just clear. You can either find them online at softpaws.com or at any major pet store. (I don't work for them, but I do use them on my cat). They do not interfere with the cat's claw at all, they just make it so they don't do damage. However, if you put the cat outside, don't use them as they can't use them to defend themselves anymore. I'd even be willing to walk you through it or figure out a way of showing you how I put them on if it'd save the cat's toes!
Spoiler:
You can see him wearing them down in the corner. photo f9585c69-309b-40f4-8620-17f33226f259_zps1a62a799.jpg
Old 11-25-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I originally was thinking brothers/sisters but then thought immediate family, moms, dads, wives/husbands...but I'd be okay with pretty much anything that opens it up a bit. I admit to just thinking of actual brothers acting was what was being called for, but when people started recommending directors that helped too. I did end up watching a Three Stooges skit that I thought was alright. I chuckled a place or two, but they are not my favorite...but more watchable than I remembered!
If I run this again next year, I'll be certain to ask again about theme nights (and the checklist), so, since I probably won't remember to change it on my own, please, and this is a request for everyone, speak up on any of the themes you want changed, and feel free to offer up new ones. I really like getting input from the Challengers on everything about these things. Especially since many of you, more than me, are going to be the ones stuck with the final result.
Old 11-25-15, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I discovered this one for the first time this summer and I loved it. I almost immediately bought the DVD. I almost watched it again this challenge but I decided to save it for next summer.

No, but I do try to watch at least one item that qualifies for each. I do kind of look to see if the Holiday ones qualify for comedy though and have skipped to one that does. It more depends on what I'm in the mood for, though.

I'd follow Lisa's advice. Put it in a spare room and let them all get used to each other's scents. I'd also introduce them one at a time. I have a cat myself and while I don't have a dog, my siblings do. They get along really well now when they see each other, but it took time. Also, when they are together, make sure the cat has a place to go that the dogs can't get to-a cat tree or the top of piece of furniture.

Even more off topic, please, please, please don't declaw it! If you are worried about the cat scratching the furniture, buy at least one scratching post (fairly inexpensive for the small ones) and use soft paws. They are a nail cap that goes over a cat's claws and are adhered by a non toxic glue. They are about $20 for 40 of them and they last about 4-8 weeks depending on how fast the cat's claws shed. They are easy to use and work great. Tons of colors or even just clear. You can either find them online at softpaws.com or at any major pet store. (I don't work for them, but I do use them on my cat). They do not interfere with the cat's claw at all, they just make it so they don't do damage. However, if you put the cat outside, don't use them as they can't use them to defend themselves anymore. I'd even be willing to walk you through it or figure out a way of showing you how I put them on if it'd save the cat's toes!
Spoiler:
You can see him wearing them down in the corner. photo f9585c69-309b-40f4-8620-17f33226f259_zps1a62a799.jpg
We haven't decided if he will be totally indoor or not yet, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 11-25-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think tonight will be a night for TV watching with quite a bit of comedy thrown in. I suddenly don't feel well at all. I hope I'm not coming down with something right before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsvb
That's what we had to do. Twice.

(One note of warning, though... some animals take a long time, or just don't get along. Though a confined space is still better than being a stray, it can be a burden after a while.)
Old 11-26-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know it's late, but I'm still up because I'm doing laundry for tomorrow. I was in the mood for some kaiju, so I just watched Monster From a Prehistoric Planet. I've since gotten it on some Mill Creek sets, but the disc I watched was part of a double feature I got at G-Fest in Chicago a few years ago that also included the Gamera film Attack of the Monsters, for a buck. Bad movies, but enjoyable to me, since I love kaiju.
Old 11-26-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To those of us in the US, Happy Thanksgiving. Remember everything you have to be thankful for, and don't forget to eat lots of turkey.
Old 11-27-15, 12:39 AM

No Heroics, the weird foul-mouthed sitcom about off-duty superheroes is hilarious. Very... blue, but still hilarious.
Old 11-27-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watching more M*A*S*H for tonight's theme night. Even got a double credit for the holiday challenge in as well!
Old 11-28-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While browsing the Dish guide for something random to watch, I came across Redacted Tonight, on RT. I've never seen it before, so I don't know if it is always a stand up comedian, but tonight's episode was a stand up comedian.
Old 11-28-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an early start to the challenge today by watching an episode of Robot Chicken, on Hulu. It had a spoof of Cannonball Run in the episode, complete with bloopers in the show's closing credits.
Old 11-28-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I didn't get in as much the past couple of days as I'd expected and wanted but that's OK as I spent most of yesterday playing board games with the grandkids. My oldest granddaughter and I play tested "La Isla," we got her brother involved for a round of "Settlers of Catan," and then I introduced them to "Stratego." They enjoyed it as it's fairly simple and tends to play quickly - a bonus a times.

I have my last couple of "Theme Day" titles selected and am pleased I've managed to complete that with only unopened titles! I *almost* completed the main checklist that way but will come up short on the "actors" category and can't decide if I want to stream something from Amazon for the third "format" item. Hmmm... I *do* have a couple of comedies I "purchased" using "slow shipping digital credits" so it'd still be stuff I "own"... Considering my overall goal was to watch only stuff from the unopened pile I'm happy with the results.

I managed to watch all the films in the Mill Creek "Hollywood Comedy Legends" set (part of one of the prizes this year). There were some pretty good films in the set in good copies. There were also the expected "turkeys" and films you wonder how they got into a "comedy" set, but overall it's a fairly good set. I didn't make it to the 2nd 50 film set, "Comedy Kings," but may watch part of it next month. Looking over the titles I believe I'll enjoy it more than the other as all but one film are pre 1960 productions. While there are many post 1970 comedy films I enjoy I'm far more discriminating and less forgiving on those than the earlier ones. There's a certain "charm" on those earlier comedies that's missing from most post 1970 comedy films.
Old 11-29-15, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started working on the challenge as soon as I woke up this morning with Keeping Up Appearances, which I only just discovered was on Netflix. I've always enjoyed the show when it used to be on my local PBS station.
Old 11-29-15, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking through the list thread, there's a much larger than normal number of people who claimed a spot and never listed anything, plus more than a few who haven't listed anything in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, that's more chances for the rest of you that you'll win something.

Speaking of which, I plan to do the drawing early on Tuesday morning (Dec. 1). Most likely right after midnight (on the East Coast). Winners will be announced in this thread, and I'll send each a PM. As usual, the first winner to respond will get dibs on the prize he/she wants. Good luck.
Old 11-29-15, 01:39 PM

The Good Dinosaur was disappointing. Not unlike (presumably) Cars, it takes a single reasonably-simple but interesting short idea and then tries to spin it into a lengthier film. Unlike Cars, I thought the plot they grafted onto the idea was distinctly lacking. The occasional comic scenarios or 'dinosaurs doing people stuff' were quite good, but mostly went nowhere. And the requisite 'Disney Death' was as pointless and insulting as any I can remember.

Plus, the ending sent very mixed messages and was Not Good. Not as mixed and problematic as Hotel Transylvania 2's dangerously-confused attempt at acceptance and tolerance, TGD made a random last-scene stab at family vs. friends and came down loosely on the side of neither. Very odd ending. And no post-credits scene, either.

P.U.N.K.S. is very aged and odd, but Young Jessica Alba's accent and Henry Winkler's crazy dancing at least make it properly amusing. Plus, X-Men comics.. ..and off-brand Mission:Impossible and Walk Like an Egyptian music..!

Last edited by ntnon; 11-29-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Since I previously watched Planes Trains... for a challenge, I figured I'd finally get around to the "other Thanksgiving movie," Home for the Holidays. Holly Hunter is always watchable, but it was pretty meh overall.

I just requested a sticky on the list thread.

Whoops, meant to post that in the holiday thread, though I'm double-counting Home for the Holidays, which wasn't all that funny.
Old 11-29-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Since I previously watched Planes Trains... for a challenge, I figured I'd finally get around to the "other Thanksgiving movie," Home for the Holidays. Holly Hunter is always watchable, but it was pretty meh overall.

I just requested a sticky on the list thread.

Whoops, meant to post that in the holiday thread, though I'm double-counting Home for the Holidays, which wasn't all that funny.
I wasn't sure about Home for the Holidays the first time I saw it but it's grown on me over the years. I think it's more of a black comedy but that first time I was scratching my head wondering just what I'd watched.

I had a first time viewing of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) yesterday. I kept thinking Tick/Mitzi looked awful familiar when it finally hit me - it's the guy who played "Elrond" in the LOTR and Hobbit films. It's a very funny film.
Old 11-30-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started the last day of the challenge with a show I just discovered yesterday counted, the 80's Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

I also want to say that I enjoyed this challenge, and this being the last day makes me sad.
Old 11-30-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Looking through the list thread, there's a much larger than normal number of people who claimed a spot and never listed anything, plus more than a few who haven't listed anything in a couple of weeks. On the bright side, that's more chances for the rest of you that you'll win something.

Speaking of which, I plan to do the drawing early on Tuesday morning (Dec. 1). Most likely right after midnight (on the East Coast). Winners will be announced in this thread, and I'll send each a PM. As usual, the first winner to respond will get dibs on the prize he/she wants. Good luck.
I'm between ISPs (I was a Clearwire customer) for the moment. I'm hoping to have my list updated sometime tomorrow.
Old 11-30-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I started the last day of the challenge with a show I just discovered yesterday counted, the 80's Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

Eric was great comic relief.
I also want to say that I enjoyed this challenge, and this being the last day makes me sad.
It's been a good challenge for me too, particularly rewatching S4 and S5 of Night Court. So many great Dan Fielding moments:  "Columbian, the richest kind" (taking a big swig of coffee with a piece of hot dog Heimliched across the cafeteria into the cup); saluting the flasher in court; "My God! How did you get the stool that high?" (remarking on Teri Hatcher's photo booth pictures); and numerous shock reactions and general groveling.
Old 11-30-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm between ISPs (I was a Clearwire customer) for the moment. I'm hoping to have my list updated sometime tomorrow.
Thanks. I know how easy it can be for real life to intrude on challenges. I'll make sure your name is included in the drawing.

Since I'll most likely do the drawing just after midnight, anyone else who wants to be included in the prize drawing who has let their list stagnate should speak up, or update your list sometime today.
Old 11-30-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since it's the last night, I want to finish M*A*S*H season eight. I have one disc left so it shouldn't be too hard. Almost decided not to as I just got a Roku today, but as I went to install it, realized I need a HDMI cable which I do not have. *sigh* fine print gets me every time, I swear!
Old 11-30-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since it's the last night, I want to finish M*A*S*H season eight. I have one disc left so it shouldn't be too hard. Almost decided not to as I just got a Roku today, but as I went to install it, realized I need a HDMI cable which I do not have. *sigh* fine print gets me every time, I swear!
I hope when you get a cable, you'll enjoy your Roku. I have a Roku 3, and I love mine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.