Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Cutting out an image and doing a google image search on it?

The checklist has an item of "With Two or More Horror Legends". What is that exactly? Is it two actors that have starred in a bunch of horror films? If so, how many films is the magic number to turn them into a legend?

Or is it 2 legends, like a movie where candy is poisoned or the decoration in someone's yard of someone hanging turns out to not be a decoration but a real person that committed suicide?
I always took it to mean legendary actors, e.g., Karloff + Lugosi or Cushing and Lee. If there are other meaning intended, that would be cool.
Old 10-05-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

The checklist has an item of "With Two or More Horror Legends". What is that exactly? Is it two actors that have starred in a bunch of horror films? If so, how many films is the magic number to turn them into a legend?

Or is it 2 legends, like a movie where candy is poisoned or the decoration in someone's yard of someone hanging turns out to not be a decoration but a real person that committed suicide?
The image cutting out doesn't really work, I tried it one year.

Also something like a Hammer Dracula film that has both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
Old 10-05-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Dude, the first rule of fight club...

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The image cutting out doesn't really work, I tried it one year.
I think Google may have improved it since then, unless you were using Yahoo, in which case I dunno.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 10-05-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
Saw some people talking about Burying the Ex and Odd Thomas. I watched Burying the Ex this morning mostly because I enjoyed Yelchin in Odd Thomas and enjoyed it a good bit. Will probably check out Life After Beth as a result. Are people considering Odd Thomas horror? I thought IMDB didn't list it as such, but it does feel as much like it fits as a lot of horror movies.
I put it on my list. I see IMDB and allmovie don't call it "horror," but Netflix had it listed as "horror" and TMDB has "horror" listed under "Plot Keywords" (but not genre). I'm with you; I thought it fit the definition, but if people don't think it's horror-y enough (even with all the dead people and murders and monsters), I can "wildcard" it, or I'll take it off my list if it really offends anyone.

EDIT: I went ahead and "wildcarded" it. I guess I need to check IMDb before watching films, and not rely on Netflix genre classifications.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-05-15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I put it on my list. I see IMDB and allmovie don't call it "horror," but Netflix had it listed as "horror" and TMDB has "horror" listed under "Plot Keywords" (but not genre). I'm with you; I thought it fit the definition, but if people don't think it's horror-y enough (even with all the dead people and murders and monsters), I can "wildcard" it, or I'll take it off my list if it really offends anyone.

EDIT: I went ahead and "wildcarded" it. I guess I need to check IMDb before watching films, and not rely on Netflix genre classifications.
Ah, I didn't even think to look at TMDB and I didn't have it pulled up on netflix because I like it enough that I bought it when I saw it cheap. I may watch it and wildcard it to have a Anton hat trick with it, Fright Night, and Burying...
Old 10-05-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Good lord! That is some kinda prize pack!!!

Dumb question on the trivia challenge: If there is an image that may be altered or is a general character or item, do you have to name the exact film it was taken from or just name the series?

Originally Posted by brainee
I was wondering the same thing (how tough the grading is going to be for these). I bet I'm looking at the same image as Spiderbite ... a super-small, super-general image specific to a horror franchise. This image is in pretty much every poster and video cover for all the movies in the franchise. So am I going to be marked wrong if I answer (an example, not the movie in question here) Frankenweenie, but it turned out that particular image came from the Croatian poster for Frankenweenie 7?

Originally Posted by terrycloth
im pretty sure its title specific like if its an image from Leprechaun 3 you cant just say Leprechaun

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
A few of the images are quite general though.
Yeah, the intention is to name the specific film the image was taken from. That said, I will give plenty of leeway. I'll count any film from the franchise to the image you're referring to or any like it.

I've browsed though so many posters while assembling these banners that I know 'em like the back of my hand.

Originally Posted by brainee
Here's another question related to the trivia: can we give more than 10 answers, and get credit for a "correct" answer as long as 10 of them are right? Or do we have to give only 10 answers, and they all have to be right?
Give as many as you want; only 10 have to be right to be in the running.

Originally Posted by Gobear
I always took it to mean legendary actors, e.g., Karloff + Lugosi or Cushing and Lee. If there are other meaning intended, that would be cool.
That's the intention, but it can also be your personal interpretation.

Someone brought up Jack Palance earlier. Personally I wouldn't consider him a horror legend. If you think otherwise then by all means count him.
Old 10-05-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Dude, the first rule of fight club...

I think Google may have improved it since then, unless you were using Yahoo, in which case I dunno.
Unless I am doing it wrong I still think it doesn't work
Spoiler:

And that is a pretty iconic horror image there.

And if you don't completely cut it out

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-05-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For my first viewing of this evening's marathon, I chose an episode of 100 Years of Horror, about giants, both human, and animal.
Old 10-05-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The best way I've found of 'cracking' the banner trivia is become familiar with the banner then just browse Wrong Side of the Art under 'Horror' posters. There are a ton of cool posters you'll run across and eventually enough matches will pop out at you.
Old 10-05-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless I am doing it wrong I still think it doesn't work
Spoiler:

And that is a pretty iconic horror image there.

And if you don't completely cut it out
That image was flipped horizontally.

EDIT: Apparently trying the properly flipped version doesn't help.
Old 10-05-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OHMC Google Image Search Urban Legend
Old 10-05-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I think the idea that movies/books about real life killers constituting 'worship' or affirmative praise is invalid. Most of the celebrity killers seem to become oddly devoid of identity and morph into a sort of generic boogeyman, especially after whatever creative liberties the screen takes with any real life fact (usually they are not presented sympathetically); essentially people enjoy these movies in part because of what they say about general human nature and anyone's capability to become a 'villain' archetype. While I see your logic I'd argue that it makes no difference if we 'worship'/watch Freddy Krueger or Jeffrey Dahmer since they have both come to represent ghastly evils in similar form on the screen and it's the acts not the people that are most impactful. I don't think, for example, Jack the Ripper or even Charles Manson derive any personal satisfaction from embellishments of their life (and I suspect many true crime movies are so far removed from the source) because by the point they become infamous they have been stripped of most control/agency by death or imprisonment.

If you consider that the basis for horror (or story) is to tell tales that give real life lessons (like morality plays, now gone haywire) it makes sense to see movies/books/etc about true crime. Considering how impossible it would be to have a neutral and entertaining fact based examination I think most "based on a true story" films, regardless of if they name a specific criminal or not, are just marketing ploys for the same general shlock just with different branding (so any harm in watching these would not be specific to true crime horror); I think the real problem is if people mis-understand fiction\"non-fiction" and take it for literal fact but there's no known basis for exposure to crime facts making someone a criminal (certainly we don't know of any challenge participants going evil and knocking off people - yet).

Personally I prefer supernatural horror elements myself. The serial killer stuff seems too straight forward or played for shocks that it mostly seems dulls aside from stylish touches (which can sometimes make for epic movies, like with many giallos).
I think you are running close to a slipper slope of censorsism here.

I am not super into serial killer movies but do enjoy a them rarely from time to time. But I think the part about your statement that is the most disturbing is the between the lines "we should ban these movies" idea.

There will alway be people who try to blame crazies on things they don't like, look at that case in the UK where they tried to blame the reason for a murder on a family's renting of Child's Play 3 (of all fucking things).

Living in a revisionist history, censored, thought police society is way worse than Henry the serial killer biopics or dramatizations.

I'm not mentioning censorship here nor am I saying because we watch something, it affects us to be like that person or make us do certain acts. And I think the big difference between say, Jack the Ripper and Freddy, is that Freddy is false, cannot be real, and just an IDEA while Jack the Ripper actually did these evil things. I guess I like something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre as it isn't a real true story and just based around things while not giving the man who did these evil acts a worshipping stance. Because, let's be honest, a guy like Manson is actually worshipped and the focus is more on the actual killer than the victims (where the victims should be the ones to be remembered and thought about). But a lot of movies, they do worship the killer (the true real life killer) and make it about them.

Odd Thomas has more horror elements than some of the subset choices we had to watch so far. Don't care what IMDB or anyone says, that's more horror than most horror films.
Old 10-05-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-05-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Odd Thomas has more horror elements than some of the subset choices we had to watch so far. Don't care what IMDB or anyone says, that's more horror than most horror films.
It also has more horror elements than a few films I've watched this month that do have the Official IMDb Guaranteed Horror Seal of Approval™. I don't mind marking it as a wildcard, since we get three and I'm not likely to need it for anything else.
Old 10-05-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
...I think the big difference between say, Jack the Ripper and Freddy, is that Freddy is false, cannot be real, and just an IDEA while Jack the Ripper actually did these evil things. I guess I like something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre as it isn't a real true story and just based around things while not giving the man who did these evil acts a worshipping stance... a guy like Manson is actually worshipped... where the victims should be the ones to be remembered and thought about).
While I see your point - I wonder if you aren't imposing criticism of news media on horror movies. I can't think of many well respected horror films that are strictly based on true crime while the news is more likely to be sensational about these things. Even if someone glorifies a killer, it's not about the killer - it's about a neediness in the person resorting to misguided idolization.

I suspect the element you call "worship" also implies the killers actions are so far distorted they may as well be entirely fictional like Freddy Krueger or Jack the Ripper (myth > the man at this point). I get that there's a popular culture that's into people like Manson, but suspect you may be over inflating perceived benefits after mass murder - even if musicians like Marilyn Manson or films/books like Helter Skelter glorify the killer, it's not likely Charles is living it up. Also, I'm suggesting the elements of serial killers that do get glorified are not factual but inventions/distortions for entertainment.

I think even factual true crime movies have a necessary element of empathy with the victims, watching them try to stick it to the killer.
Old 10-05-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It also has more horror elements than a few films I've watched this month that do have the Official IMDb Guaranteed Horror Seal of Approval™. I don't mind marking it as a wildcard, since we get three and I'm not likely to need it for anything else.
To be clear, I brought it up to see if other people agree with it because I want to watch it, not because I want to question anyone else's watching it. I don't care about anyone else's list(except when it comes to browsing to find titles I'm not familiar with), I just have a weird OCD about following rules/opinion for my own list. I won't be using a lot of wildcards, so I'm fine wildcarding it myself.
Old 10-05-15, 04:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

So what's everyone watching for today's LGBTQ theme? The subset choice was ok, and I really enjoyed shadokitty's suggestion of Cursed. Somehow, I had never seen that Wes Craven film before.
Old 10-05-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
So what's everyone watching for today's LGBTQ theme? The subset choice was ok, and I really enjoyed shadokitty's suggestion of Cursed. Somehow, I had never seen that Wes Craven film before.
The only thing in my collection on the lists provided that I haven't watched are Wrong Turn 2 and 4. Are either worth a viewing? I haven't watched anything beyond the first, and honestly don't remember whether I liked it or not.

If not, I'm sure some Franco or Rollin titles would fit the bill.
Old 10-05-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
The only thing in my collection on the lists provided that I haven't watched are Wrong Turn 2 and 4. Are either worth a viewing? I haven't watched anything beyond the first, and honestly don't remember whether I liked it or not.

If not, I'm sure some Franco or Rollin titles would fit the bill.
I really enjoyed wrong turn 2 cheesy and gory
For todays theme i watched cannibal
Old 10-05-15, 05:10 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I watched the daily pick (ZMD), High Tension and Sleepaway Camp. I'm also planning to watch Jeepers Creepers 2 later.

I've been looking forward to watching Cursed. But I'm saving it for either the Wes Craven day or the Werewolf day.
Old 10-05-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
To be clear, I brought it up to see if other people agree with it because I want to watch it, not because I want to question anyone else's watching it. I don't care about anyone else's list(except when it comes to browsing to find titles I'm not familiar with), I just have a weird OCD about following rules/opinion for my own list. I won't be using a lot of wildcards, so I'm fine wildcarding it myself.
To be honest, when I first read your earlier post about the movie, I did think you were questioning it, but as I was writing my response, I reread your post and saw that you weren't, and that we felt the same way on the subject. (I even said so in my response - "I'm with you; I thought it fit the definition.")

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was pointing the finger at you, or something. I decided to use the wildcard in case someone else were to question me listing it, not because of what you posted (other than you bringing it to my attention that it wasn't classified as horror on IMDb or allmovie).
Old 10-05-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 4 coverage is up! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...015-day-4.html Nothing too exciting here to be honest.
Old 10-05-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The Hunger and Hellbent.
Old 10-05-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's everyone watching for today's LGBTQ theme?
I got Bride of the Gorilla going on right now, so that takes care of the B and G.
Old 10-05-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now it's time for Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.