Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Decided that I want to work through that deluxe Halloween set this month; so might as well bend the TV movie thing to cover those cuts of the first two films and work them into today's theme.

And on the theme, I really enjoyed today's subset choice, Bad Ronald. The premise is amazing, and while done a few times over the years, this may have been the first.

Also watched that British series from 2008, Dead Set. I liked it, but probably would have appreciated it more if I watched it back then. I think a lot of zombie films and shows since then and overdone some of the film's elements since.
Old 10-04-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I doubt I'll get to one hundred but I've watched a couple VHS tapes so far to kick things off. Rewatched The House of the Devil and some cheesy made for TV movie called Nightmare on the 13th Floor so far. The House of the Devil is great and Nightmare on the 13th Floor was okay for what it was but nothing too memorable. I'm thinking of doing a marathon of the Nightmare on Elm Street films since I haven't watched them in a while. Might do a double feature of the first two tonight.
Old 10-04-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Also watched that British series from 2008, Dead Set. I liked it, but probably would have appreciated it more if I watched it back then. I think a lot of zombie films and shows since then and overdone some of the film's elements since.
Three of the zombie films I watched yesterday and today are prime examples:

Rise of the Zombies, Zombie Apocalypse, and Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies.

OK... so I didn't *expect* much from this trio of films from The Asylum and that's exactly what I got... not much. I purchased the set for Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies as I thought it had potential to be a real hoot. It *almost* is... the problem was they tried too hard to tie in many of the actual events/locations of the Civil War as well as The Gettysburg Address into the proceedings. It could have been good, cheesy, fun had they played it a bit more loose.

I knew I was in deep trouble when in Zombie Apocalypse one of our heros found a chainsaw in the bed of a pickup truck which he then used to dispatch a especially bad zombie, said "I wish I'd have found this earlier!" and then *leaves it in the truck bed!?!* Seriously! Just left it after proclaiming it would have been good to have.

Rise of the Zombies was easily the better of the three, although it wasn't any great shakes. It benefited from having several veteran cast members. Still... they deliver a baby from a woman who's turning into a zombie asking them to "Save my baby!" only for *it* to turn into a zombie right after birth (of course... don't these people know how zombies work?). The intercutting between a obvious doll and a real baby was simply some of the worst I've seen in a long time. Still... it was good enough to rewatch some time in the future.

At least I'd watched Let Sleeping Corpses Lie earlier in the day yesterday so I had seen *one* very good zombie movie.
Old 10-04-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by massivemoviefan
Hi there, I'm new to this. Do episodes of The X-Files count?
Yes!* **

*Providing you think so.
**They be some snide comments if you only watch the borderline choices, but... this is for FUN and enjoyment.
Old 10-04-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
And on the theme, I really enjoyed today's subset choice, Bad Ronald. The premise is amazing, and while done a few times over the years, this may have been the first.
Glad you liked it. I tried to pick something a little off the radar. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight.
Old 10-04-15, 07:04 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Peter Benchley's Creature is a lot of fun with an epic practical effects monster. It's got some pacing problems (I go into any TV miniseries expecting some fluff) and a cheesy 1990s feel that might not be "for" everyone (slow tribal beats, SEALs teams, etc) but I'm a sucker for it (and aquatic horror monsters are a favorite of mine).
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
What is this Arrow sale that people keep mentioning? Is this something that happens on their web store? I'm new to purchasing Arrow releases, but so far I'm pretty darn impressed...
Occasionally Arrow UK has had promising webstore exclusive sales; these have been mostly UK region discs that you'd have to have shipped across seas (and be region free). I think the MSRP for Arrow UK discs has been cheaper than it has been for the US and to my knowledge there have been no Arrow US storefront sales. If memory serves some of the discs end up being around ~$15 shipped - I remember getting Vamp, The Beyond, Bay of Blood, etc for good prices but it's been a while (and recently Arrow had more strictly region locks).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-04-15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You have to be very careful as some "Universal" titles are really Paramount titles MCA Inc. purchased in 1958 when Paramount sold 764 of its pre-1948 films. In the early 60s MCA Inc. took over Universal and was later sold with the MCA name being dropped in favor of calling the studio Universal Studios Inc....

I'd love to include Island of Lost Souls (1932) but it's a Paramount title, as is the wonderful The Cat & the Canary with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, as are The Uninvited, and The Unseen. There are quite a few more Paramount "horror" titles which could be included if I were not limiting my list to only those films produced by Universal.

While produced by Universal, The Monster & the Girl and The Cat Creeps, are Mystery...
I found it hard to separate the originators when I tried to do my own list, and the genres are a tricky web. But... despite being Paramount Lost Souls was a Universal Horror VHS release alongside Monster/Girl, so I say for those two in particular: add them and put the same kind of qualifier/annotation.

And yes, several of the Sherlock Holmes films *could* be included as they actually have horror genre tags. But there's a part of me that just can't put those in a Universal Horror Film list. I struggled with including Tower of London as well as Night Key, but as I included others which are on horror film collections, as they are, I went ahead but added the qualifiers like on those other non-horror films I included.

I actually have a bit of a problem including the Inner Sanctum films *but*, in spite of them not feeling like horrors, they *do* have horror tags. Honestly, if I'm going to keep them I probably should add the Holmes films...
It's tricky, I know! I would also be tempted to leave off SHolmes, but... Spider-Woman turns up there first, and one of them has "Terror" in the title. Plus, so I read, they share a lot of crew and thus style...
Old 10-04-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

10 minutes until the season finale of Fear The Walking Dead
Old 10-04-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I was out of town for the weekend so no entries in the challenge the past couple of days. I'm way behind in this challenge. But I was never going to win this thing anyway. So i'll try and make up as much ground as i can. And move on from there.
Old 10-04-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I was out of town for the weekend so no entries in the challenge the past couple of days. I'm way behind in this challenge. But I was never going to win this thing anyway. So i'll try and make up as much ground as i can. And move on from there.
There's no way to win anyway, other than personal goals. If you have fun, you're a winner!!!
Old 10-04-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Largely because of last night's TCM Underground lineup, today has become a day dedicated to when animals attack. I watched Rattlers, The Swarm and then The Long Weekend. Of the three, Long Weekend was clearly the best, but The Swarm is notable for its cast, which includes Michael Caine, Richard Widmark, Olivia de Havilland, Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Fred MacMurray, José Ferrer, Henry Fonda, Richard Chamberlain, Patty Duke, Katharine Ross, and Lee Grant. That's quite a lineup!
Old 10-04-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I found it hard to separate the originators when I tried to do my own list, and the genres are a tricky web. But... despite being Paramount Lost Souls was a Universal Horror VHS release alongside Monster/Girl, so I say for those two in particular: add them and put the same kind of qualifier/annotation.
I messed up the post and put The Monster & the Girl in the wrong place. It, too, is a Paramount production. My list is 100% Universal produced. Of course you're free to make your own version but in mine other studios are not welcome. If a film wasn't *produced* by Universal it doesn't belong no matter how good it might be or even if it were later distributed by Universal.
Originally Posted by ntnon
It's tricky, I know! I would also be tempted to leave off SHolmes, but... Spider-Woman turns up there first, and one of them has "Terror" in the title. Plus, so I read, they share a lot of crew and thus style...
As far as Holmes... I just checked the Universal Holmes catalog at IMDB *and* Allmovie. None have a horror tag although a few *do* have "thriller" attached at IMDB. But lots of detective and noir films have "thriller" as a genre - it's part of the overall type. The only Holmes film that is flagged as a horror title is The Hound of the Baskervilles and even then only the Hammer Films version has the horror genre tag. So... as far as I'm concerned, Holmes is off the table as well.
Old 10-04-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Sunday Night Trivia Question: Banner Edition.

You know the drill. All you have to do is NAME 10 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. There's between 100 - 200 images used, so plenty to choose from.

Easy access for the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images aren't taken from film posters.
2. Some films have multiple images (usually no more than two per film).
3. Some images have been slightly altered.
4. Occasionally a foreign poster is used.
5. A few images are not from any film (IE actual photographs or artwork).
6. There's a few repeats from past banners.

Everyone that gets at least 10 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Since this one requires a bit of work, you're playing for a little more than usual...

The HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #3:

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive:

- Chilling Classics 50 Movie Pack
- Legends of Horror 50 Movie Pack
- Twins of Evil
- Hands of the Ripper
- Frankenhooker
- Mark of the Devil (Combo pack)
- Society Collector’s Edition (Combo pack)
- Island of Death (Combo pack)
- Sleepaway Camp III (Combo pack)
- Editor (Combo pack)
- Toolbox Murders 2 (BLU)
- Food of the Gods/Frogs (BLU)
- Stigmata (BLU)
- Metamorphosis/Beyond Darkness (BLU)
- Ghost Town (BLU)
- Scarecrows (BLU)
- Howling II (BLU)
- Nomads (BLU)

Courtesy of...

Random.org decided on the prize. Random.org will determine the winner.

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-15, 09:00 PM

I messed up the post and put The Monster & the Girl in the wrong place. It, too, is a Paramount production. My list is 100% Universal produced. Of course you're free to make your own version but in mine other studios are not welcome. If a film wasn't *produced* by Universal it doesn't belong no matter how good it might be or even if it were later distributed by Universal.

As far as Holmes... I just checked the Universal Holmes catalog at IMDB *and* Allmovie. None have a horror tag although a few *do* have "thriller" attached at IMDB. But lots of detective and noir films have "thriller" as a genre - it's part of the overall type. The only Holmes film that is flagged as a horror title is The Hound of the Baskervilles and even then only the Hammer Films version has the horror genre tag. So... as far as I'm concerned, Holmes is off the table as well.
Fair enough. I don't fault your logic at all, I had naturally assumed - despite reading several lists that added in later Universal-acquired films - that anything branded by them as "UH" would be so.... obviously that was flawed thinking! Should have known after Paramount 100 and Warner celebrations got taken to task for claiming other studios' films as part of their company heritage...

Murky.... "Thriller" is obviously often of those 'too good for "horror"' labels, but it would just seem odd having Holmes alongside the likes of the Wolf Man. Although his non-U Ripper films are fairly squarely in Horror territory and he did debut the Spider-Woman...

Last edited by ntnon; 10-04-15 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 10:28 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might try and do this in a couple weeks, when I have a free weekend to myself. 24 Hours of Horror with Edgar Wright
Old 10-04-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Saw several little trailers for this during the FTWD finale
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H24AoDVwfX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Looks like fun
Old 10-04-15, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
There's no way to win anyway, other than personal goals. If you have fun, you're a winner!!!
Amen!
Old 10-04-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

For today's theme, I watched The Day of the Triffids, a 1981 BBC miniseries. While the premise is very silly, I thought they did a good job creating a sense of doom and despair. There's also a lot of social commentary addressing how people act in a crisis.

I received Roger Corman's Tales of Terror in the mail today. It's an anthology film featuring loose adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe's stories. All three segments star Vincent Price at his Vincent Price-iest - that is to say AMAZING! Peter Lorre and Basil Rathbone also show up. It's currently on sale from Amazon for $12.98 - definitely worth it.
Old 10-04-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

For today's theme I revisited Over the Garden Wall (2014), Cartoon Network's first mini-series. It's a fanciful tale wrapped in Autumn; material that deserves to be watched every October.
Old 10-04-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my first experience (I'm pretty sure anyways) with Andy Milligan... I'm not in any hurry for another.
Old 10-05-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I think I'm going to join in the Challenge late this year.

I just started teaching at a Private School a month ago, so we'll see how many films I get to watch
Old 10-05-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So question about those that study and watch movies about real life killers. I used to be so into them and fascinated by movies about Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Zodiac Killer, etc. However, with all the recent gun killings and mass murders, I'm thinking people like these should NOT be having movies and basically "worshipped" and placed on screen. They did horrible and unforgivable things and yet we are still drawn to watch their work and "learn" more about them. Anyone else get disturbed by this lately or is it just me?
Old 10-05-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

We've already hit 800 posts, so please continue discussion in part 2.

Old 10-06-15, 12:14 PM

Waiting for my new Hammer bluray's to come in the mail So I can tear into them. Burnt Offerings too.
Old 10-06-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Some people seem to be a bit confused about what the list is supposed to be, so just briefly; I was having trouble finding decent and long lists of horror films, I came up with an idea to compile all the lists I could find into a mega-list. It became this list. The website was a fun addition to provide some context to it. I don't expect anyone to take it too seriously, but it's a fun project for me and others seem to get some use out of it.
I do love pouring over lists, and think this one is really helpful. Thanks mightysparks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.