Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I'm up to volunteer. Doesn't matter what theme I am given. Shock me
Old 08-25-15, 09:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Count me in for a subset pick!

Also voting for:

Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk
You'll Never Check Out
Caves of Horror
Chronological Horror Years Faceoff
Old 08-25-15, 01:53 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Voting for these:

Horrors of war
Blood and snow
Caves of horror
Chronological
Drive in double feature
Old 08-25-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm voting for:

Bigfoot and Yeti movies
Disembodied hands
Eye movies
Made-for-TV films
PD Horrors
25/50 year anniversaries
1980s video companies (if we narrow it down to one company--Vestron was suggested, I believe?)
Old 08-25-15, 05:25 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I especially like these theme suggestions so far (some others were good too but I'm trying not to vote for everything):
Crazy Love (Strange romantic relationships on film)
Web of Horror (revolving around the internet and computers)
Vs. Horror Films
Madness & Paranoia
Book of the Dead (takes place in/have a memorable scene in a library and/or a bookstore)
Fierce Fungi, Fruit, Flowers, Flora (Evil Trees & Plants)
Daytime Horror
Edit: I also like the Comedy Horror crossover for November 1 until dusk, if that needs to be voted on, and think it should become a routine staple similar to Criterion X-over.

Originally Posted by Chad
Also, wouldn't it make more sense to include 'Hell' with the Devil's Night entries as opposed to the possibility of a separate theme?

- Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell
It might be fun to replace the traditional "possession / satanic / witchcraft" Devil's Night theme with only films that depict 'hell.' That might vary the theme while still honoring the diabolical night and avoid having 4 subcategories. I love the play on devil's night but would hate for us to be married to a redundant theme (my actual marriage is redundant enough for me, don't tell the wife).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-25-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I don't plan to do any optional lists, I had a thought for the checklist. Is stop motion on there? There are some monster movies that use stop motion animation.
Old 08-25-15, 08:36 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While I don't plan to do any optional lists, I had a thought for the checklist. Is stop motion on there? There are some monster movies that use stop motion animation.
For reference here's a list of 114 horror movies that use stop motion animation: http://www.buried.com/horrormovies/k...s/stop_motion/
Old 08-25-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So now that I have the main discussion thread up, just a reminder that this one will continue on until the lists are complete. Please don't abandon it!

Also, there's a few themes that made the cut, and I'll reveal those tomorrow. Posting that other thread always gives me a headache.

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'll volunteer for a subset pick.

Also, throwing my votes in for:
Schools Out ...Forever
Web of Horror
9!

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I'm up to volunteer. Doesn't matter what theme I am given. Shock me
10! Will do, BTW.

Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
Count me in for a subset pick!

Also voting for:

You'll Never Check Out
Caves of Horror
11!

Originally Posted by shadokitty

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
For reference here's a list of 114 horror movies that use stop motion animation: http://www.buried.com/horrormovies/k...s/stop_motion/
Added to the suggestions list on post 2.
Old 08-25-15, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll volunteer for a subset My favorite theme ideas are:
Free Admission: Enter At Your Own Risk
Book Of The Dead
Chapel Of Horror
Horrorestate

Chronological Horror Years Face Off (Golden/Silver) 1965 Vs. 1990
You'll Never Check Out
Theaters
Schools Out...Forever
Crazy Love (one of my most anticipated first time watches of the challenge is Honeymoon 2014)
R.I.P. Christopher Lee

All the theme ideas are awesome though. Don't really have any new theme idea suggestions at the moment.
Old 08-26-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to votes (including via PM) these have made the cut ...

New:

Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk (takes place in a haunted house, museum, funhouse, carnival, amusement park, miniature golf etc.)
You'll Never Check Out (takes place in a hotel, motel, boardinghouse, hostel, inn, bed and breakfast, etc.)
Book of the Dead (takes place in/have a memorable scene in a library and/or a bookstore)

Returning:

1980's Video Companies (all or one company TBD)
Chronological Horror Years Faceoff! - Golden (1965) Vs. Silver (1990)

That's 17 out of 33 for those keeping count.

There's also some very close to making the cut. And of those there's a few that aren't plentiful with entries, so we'll probably have to do some theme combinations like last year.

Also, last year's themes weren't completed until 9/14. We seem to be doing alright timewise.
Old 08-27-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And presenting the next round to become official themes...
  • Found Footage Films
  • SyFy Original Movies
  • Ulli Lommel Vs. Uwe Boll
  • Full Moon Features (2005 - Present)
  • Studio/Distributor Spotlight: The Asylum
  • Random Horror Years Faceoff! - 1890 Vs. 1900
  • Sequels After Part 4
  • Indie Horror Flicks w/ Budgets of $10,000 or less
  • R.I.P. Ellen Albertini Dow

That's 26 out of 33. Almost there!
Old 08-27-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

• Found Footage Films
  • SyFy Original Movies
  • Sequels After Part 4

You're a sick sick man with Lommel vs Boll
Old 08-27-15, 05:28 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I would vote for:

Plants
Anniversaries
Based on novels (Poe, Lovecraft, King)
Featuring child actors

(I might also pointlessly go against the grain and antivote for the 'one company' categories, mainly because I don't think I have anything for most/any of them...!)

And if it wasn't clear earlier, I'll volunteer to pick a film as well.
Old 08-27-15, 10:22 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

• Found Footage Films
  • SyFy Original Movies
  • Sequels After Part 4

Surely you're kidding, right?

I mean, Ellen Albertini Dow has only 3 horror films to her credit; movies hadn't yet been invented in 1890; and The Asylum? Put down the crack pipe, Chad.
Old 08-27-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498

I mean, Ellen Albertini Dow has only 3 horror films to her credit; movies hadn't yet been invented in 1890; and The Asylum? Put down the crack pipe, Chad.
I agree!!!!!!!! WTF picked Asylum? I blind bought a couple before, put them in and wanted to literally end the lives of the people behind these. Out of all the studios out there, we really going with Asylum? You have one night for Asylum and then another night for SyFy films and then one more night for Full Moon 2005 and after. Has Full Moon even had a good film since PuppetMaster 3? I am going to have to hit up a clinic and buy a shit ton of weed for those three nights (guess it works for Full Moon with Evil Bong).

One thing for sure. This IS a horror challenge to get past this crap.
Old 08-27-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498

I agree!!!!!!!! WTF picked Asylum? I blind bought a couple before, put them in and wanted to literally end the lives of the people behind these. Out of all the studios out there, we really going with Asylum? You have one night for Asylum and then another night for SyFy films and then one more night for Full Moon 2005 and after. Has Full Moon even had a good film since PuppetMaster 3? I am going to have to hit up a clinic and buy a shit ton of weed for those three nights (guess it works for Full Moon with Evil Bong).

One thing for sure. This IS a horror challenge to get past this crap.

No, I'm not that crazy. Just wanted to stir up some activity since its been a little slow going in here the last couple of days.

Ironically we did actually have a found footage theme a few years back, and it wasn't super popular.
Old 08-27-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
I would vote for:

Plants
Anniversaries
Based on novels (Poe, Lovecraft, King)
Featuring child actors

(I might also pointlessly go against the grain and antivote for the 'one company' categories, mainly because I don't think I have anything for most/any of them...!)

And if it wasn't clear earlier, I'll volunteer to pick a film as well.
Oh, my bad. That makes 12. Just 18 more volunteers to go (excluding me).

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It might be fun to replace the traditional "possession / satanic / witchcraft" Devil's Night theme with only films that depict 'hell.' That might vary the theme while still honoring the diabolical night and avoid having 4 subcategories. I love the play on devil's night but would hate for us to be married to a redundant theme (my actual marriage is redundant enough for me, don't tell the wife).
Well, I only suggested putting it there because it was a little light on entries. The Letterboxd link has 26 titles that aren't even remotely horror.
Old 08-27-15, 11:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Wasn't Bats, Cats, and Rats supposed to be a potential theme night, or am I missing it in a list or forgetting we did it last year? My mind is pretty blurry right now....
Old 08-28-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was your suggestion from last year, and the very first one I put in the planning thread as a reminder to myself to add. Naturally I forgot.

Bats, Cats, and Rats

BTW, the cats portion has an entire blog dedicated to it with tons of entries:

Spoiler:
A Bucket of Blood A Candle in the Dark A Cat in the Brain A Clockwork Orange A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge Alice Sweet Alice Alien Alraune American Psycho American Psycho 2 Amityville: The Evil Escapes Amnesiac An American Werewolf in London Angel Heart Anthropophagus Apartment Zero April Fool's Day Apt Pupil Arachnophobia Atom Age Vampire Attack of the Puppet People Baba Yaga Devil Witch Bedazzled Before the Fall Behind the Walls 3D Beware The Blob Beyond the Door Black Cat Black Christmas Black Sabbath Blacker Than the Night Blood Fiend Blood from the Mummy's Tomb Bloodtide Bloody Mallory Bram Stoker's Dracula Bride of the Gorilla Buffy the Vampire Slayer Bug Burning Bright Castle Freak Castle of Blood Cat Girl Cat in the Cage Cat People Cat's Eye Cemetery Man Cemetery of the Living Dead Chi sei? Children of the Damned Circus of Horrors City of the Living Dead Claws Coffin Baby Colour from the Dark Constantine Count Dracula's Great Love Count Yorga Vampire Cries in the Night Critters Curse of the Demon Dark Skies Darkman Darkness Falls Death by Invitation Demon Knight Demonia Demons 6 Die Die My Darling Dogs Don't Be Afraid of the Dark Doppelganger Dr. Cyclops Dracula II: Ascension Drag Me to Hell Dust Devil Eight Legged Freaks End of Days Eva Eye of the Cat Fallen Feast II Felidae Final Remains Five Million Years to Earth Four Flies on Grey Velvet Frankenstein Frankenstein: The True Story Friday the 13th Part 2 Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood Friday the 13th: A New Beginning Fright From Beyond the Grave Funeral Home Ghost Ghost Cat Girly Gone Girl Good Against Evil Good Neighbours Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive Graveyard Gremlins Halloween 5 Halloween II Halloween III: Season of the Witch Hausu Hell of the Living Dead Hell's Kitty Hide and Seek Hocus Pocus Hostel: Part II House House III House of Dracula House of the Long Shadows Humanoids from the Deep Hungry Wives I Drink Your Blood I Monster I've Been Waiting for You iMurders Incubus Inferno Inhabited Inside Interview with the Vampire It's Alive Jeepers Creepers Jennifer Ju-on Julia's Eyes Kill List Kiss Me Kill Me Kuroneko La strega in amore LD 50 Lethal Dose Legend of the Werewolf Let the Right One In Little Shop of Horrors Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby Man's Best Friend Maneater Manhunter Mania Maniac May Megiddo: The Omega Code 2 Memory Midnight Offerings Mimic 2 Monster from Green Hell Monstrosity Mortuary Mulberry Street My Son the Vampire My Stepbrother Is a Vampire Más negro que la noche Night Creature Night of Fear Night of the Creeps Night of the Demon Night of the Demons Night of the Demons 2 Night of the Eagle Nightmare Concert Nosferatu Nosferatu the Vampyre Nude for Satan Office Killer Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire Orozco the Embalmer Paranormal Activity 4 Perfume: The Story of a Murderer Persecution Pet Sematary Pet Sematary II Poltergeist II Pontypool Population 436 Premature Burial Prey Psychomania Psychotic State Quarantine 2 Quatermass and the Pit Re-Animator Red Dragon Redneck Zombies Revenge of La Llorona Revenge of the Creature Ring of Terror Room 33 Rosemary's Baby Sarah Landon and the Paranormal Hour Satánico Pandemonium Savage Harvest Scary MoVie Scary Movie 2 Scary Movie 4 Scent School of the Holy Beast Science Friction Scream Season of the Witch Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye Shadow of the Vampire Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth Sick Nurses Silent Night Deadly Night Single White Female Sleepwalkers Slither Snakes on a Plane So Mort It Be Soft for Digging Spectre Spellbinder Spider Baby Spirit Lost Splice Spring Strays Tales from the Darkside Tales of Terror Tales That Witness Madness Taxidermia Teenage Catgirls in Heat Terror Tract Terror-Creatures from the Grave The Amityville Horror The Atomic Brain The Awful Dr. Orlof The Beach Girls and the Monster The Black Castle The Black Cat The Blob The Body Snatcher The Bork The Bride The Cat The Cat and the Canary The Cat Creature The Cat Creeps The Cat with Hands The Catman of Paris The Child The Children The Collector The Comedy of Terrors The Corpse Grinders The Crater Lake Monster The Crawling Hand The Cremator The Crow The Darkest Hour The Deadly Spawn The Devil's Advocate The Devil's Own The Exorcism of Emily Rose The Eye 3 The First Power The Fly The Gallows The Gates of Hell The Gore Gore Girls The Grim Reaper The Grudge The Grudge 2 The Haunting of Seacliff Inn The Haunting of Whaley House The Heirloom The Horror Show The Hotel!! The House by the Cemetery The House of Seven Corpses The House That Dripped Blood The Hunger Games The Incredible Melting Man The Incredible Shrinking Man The Innocents The Island of Dr. Moreau The Kiss The Last Exorcism The Last Exorcism Part II The Last House on the Left The Legacy The Legend of Hell House The Leopard Man The Lunar Pack The Monster Club The Mummy The Mummy Lives The New Daughter The Night of a Thousand Cats The Penny Dreadful Picture Show The Perfume of the Lady in Black The Phantom of the Opera The Pyramid The Relic The Reptile The Rite The Roommate The Sadist The Sentinel The Severed Arm The Shadow of the Cat The Silence of the Hams The Silence of the Lambs The Slayer The Slumber Party Massacre The Sorcerers The Stepfather The Terror of Sheba The Tingler The Tomb of Ligeia The Uncanny The Undead The Uninvited The Vampire Lovers The Voices The War of the Worlds The Wasp Woman The Wicker Tree The Witch The Witches Theatre of Death Thirst This House Possessed This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse Tombs of the Blind Dead Tomcat: Dangerous Desires Torture Garden Trick or Treat Twilight Zone: The Movie Twisted Twisted Nightmare Two Evil Eyes Two Thousand Maniacs Uninvited Vampire Circus Vampire in Brooklyn Vampire Over London Vengeance of the Zombies Violent Midnight Virus Visitors Werewolf of London What Have You Done to Solange? When a Stranger Calls Willard Wolfen X-tro Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key

Added to suggestions on post 2.
Old 08-28-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Has Full Moon even had a good film since PuppetMaster 3?
Dollman (1991)
Netherworld (1992)
Demonic Toys (1992)
Seedpeople (1992)
Bad Channels (1992)
Doctor Mordrid (1992)
Trancers III (1992)
Robot Wars (1993)
Arcade (1993)
Mandroid (1993)
Dollman vs. Demonic Toys (1993)
Oblivion (1994)
Castle Freak (1995)
Head of the Family (1996)
The Killer Eye (1999)
Gingerdead Man 2: Passion of the Crust (2008)

Were not completely awful

Shrunken Heads (1994) was really the tipping point.
Old 08-28-15, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, I'm not that crazy. Just wanted to stir up some activity since its been a little slow going in here the last couple of days.

Ironically we did actually have a found footage theme a few years back, and it wasn't super popular.
I was really about to cry lol. I was actually ok with Found Footage, but the rest was going to be pretty unbearable.
Old 08-28-15, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THEME SELECTION
R.I.P. Christopher Lee:

Fanaticism (Religious) Horror or Chapel of Horror:

Extrasensory Perception and Psychokinesis:

Monstrous births

Madness & Paranoia:

Occult Detectives:

Web of Horror

Writers

Twisted Fairy Tales:

Director Stew

Vs. Horror Films

Stop Motion Animation Horror -

Bats, Cats, and Rats

Here are my top 14 choices.
Old 08-28-15, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, my bad. That makes 12. Just 18 more volunteers to go (excluding me).
Not sure if you saw I'm willing to volunteer too
Old 08-28-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad Ingrid Bergman didn't have any genre credits outside of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because today would have been her 100th birthday. Theme permit denied.

Originally Posted by arw6040
Not sure if you saw I'm willing to volunteer too
That brings us to 13 volunteers, and 3 I've overlooked.
Old 08-29-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Too bad Ingrid Bergman didn't have any genre credits outside of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because today would have been her 100th birthday. Theme permit denied.
One of my coworkers who knows I am into horror does keep trying to get me to watch a movie called Gaslight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.