DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual August Animation Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 6th Annual August Animation Challenge

The ended up resolving the main series already. The actor that played Barnabas wanted to do something other than be a vampire, so they wrapped things up but not completely. Towards the end of the last storyline, they had some of the family discover a room that had a parallel world going on. They already did some stories where people had crossed into it but this time the show just moved onto what's going on in there. At least it's not going to end in the middle of everything.

I might watch a few more tonight but now I have 9 episodes left out of 1225 and it took me a little over 10 months to do

I'll probably watch some of the extras for the horror challenge. There's a bunch of discs worth of stuff.
Old 08-29-15, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I woke up early, so decided to finish The Land Before Time, that I started last night. I loved it.
I'm glad that it is coming to Blu-Ray in October.

I've been watching some G.I. Joe lately. I used to dislike the animated movie as a kid, since it was pretty out there sci-fi wise and I didn't care for Cobra-La, but watching the regular series again some 10 years ago when the Rhino DVDs were released reminded me how far out some of the regular episodes were as well. Now, I like the movie, but I still don't like what they did to Cobra Commander. My kids have been enjoying watching G.I. Joe with me.
Old 08-30-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There are times when I can't concentrate on subtitles and tend to fall asleep during anime, which requires more concentration than other forms of animation. So when I need something short to watch, I pull out my 200 Classic Cartoons DVD set and watch some Betty Boop, Popeye, Little Lulu, etc. I can't go wrong with those and I only need to devote attention to six or seven minutes at a time until I have enough for a full entry. It works for me and I'm glad I had this set to fall back on during an exhausting month. (It was my last month at a job at which I worked for 30 years. I'm retiring just in time for the Criterion Challenge, which cannot be digested in six- or seven-minute installments!)

And it only cost $4.99 at Barnes & Noble.
Old 08-30-15, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I probably won't get very far, as I just watched the first episode right now, but I've started on Transformers Super God Masterforce. I actually saw the first three episode long ago, before it was out on DVD. One year when I went to a Transformers convention, a dealer had a fan subbed VHS tape of the first three episodes. And who would ever had thought that I would one day have sets of the first three Japanese Transformers series. Now if Beast Wars 2 could come out on DVD.

With Generation 1 on Tubi TV on Roku, having the movie on DVD, and allGI Joe episodes on DVD. Not to mention the Land Before Time movies, Disney movies, The Secret of NIMH, Sinbad movies, as well as DC movies, andYu-Gi-Oh!, I'm set for the last couple of days.
Old 08-30-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
(It was my last month at a job at which I worked for 30 years. I'm retiring just in time for the Criterion Challenge, which cannot be digested in six- or seven-minute installments!)

And it only cost $4.99 at Barnes & Noble.
Congrats. It's a big step. I've got about 10 years left to go.
Old 08-30-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

(It was my last month at a job at which I worked for 30 years. I'm retiring just in time for the Criterion Challenge, which cannot be digested in six- or seven-minute installments!).
Congrats! Now, if you're anything like my mom who retired several years ago, you'll be busier than you were working! I hope you are able to enjoy it!

Last night I was in no condition to move (somehow hurt my neck) so I went online to see what I had available to watch that qualified for the challenge. I saw I could see "Scooby Doo! and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery" and it was a no brainer. Scooby Doo it was. The voices did throw me a bit. Scooby and Shaggy were the closest, with Fred a close 3rd, but Velma and Daphne sounded nothing like they should. I assume Kiss band members were the same as they were played by themselves. The animation/design was fun. Very rock and roll. Loved the guitar space ship.

The plot itself took place at an amusement park that was a replay of many many other Scooby episodes. The dialogue makes reference to it, so it's not like the writers tried to hide it at least. I just wish a little more thought had been put into it as within 15 minutes (it was about 65 min long), I knew exactly who the bad guy was. Even the original episodes it sometimes took longer! It was not subtle at all.

Overall, if you're a Scooby fan, you'll enjoy it at least a little. It really reminded me of those movies where the Scooby Gang joined up with Batman and Robin or the Globetrotters. Kiss definitely brought their own brand of wackiness in. The music was good-I actually recognized all but one of the songs, and since I am not a huge fan, that's pretty good, I thought!
Old 08-30-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope you're feeling better today.
Old 08-30-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I hope you're feeling better today.
Thanks, feeling a bit better. Slept weird and my neck protested. Trying a few things, but nothing is really working. *sigh* Oh well. :/
Old 08-30-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Are people still thinking of voice actors to add to the checklist for next year? I was thinking about adding Mickey Rooney but I'm not certain he's been in enough. He has been in several though, especially Christmas themed animation.
Is it a totally new list, or is there a barebones one already around..? I think I missed past discussion.

Maurice LaMarche
Billy West

Kelly Hu
Nathan Fillion
Old 08-30-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

(It was my last month at a job at which I worked for 30 years. I'm retiring just in time for the Criterion Challenge, which cannot be digested in six- or seven-minute installments!)
Congratulations on your retirement!

Last night I was in no condition to move (somehow hurt my neck) so I went online to see what I had available to watch that qualified for the challenge. I saw I could see "Scooby Doo! and Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery" and it was a no brainer. Scooby Doo it was. The voices did throw me a bit. Scooby and Shaggy were the closest, with Fred a close 3rd, but Velma and Daphne sounded nothing like they should. I assume Kiss band members were the same as they were played by themselves. The animation/design was fun. Very rock and roll. Loved the guitar space ship.
I've not seen this one, but I've heard good things. Your comments about Velma and Daphne freaked me out; I was afraid there were new voice actors! Perhaps they were having a bad day. Mindy Cohn has been voice Velma since 2004, and Grey Griffin took over Daphne when Mary Kay Bergman committed suicide in 1999. They've provided the voice throughout two of my favorite Scooby-Doo series (What's New and Mystery Incorporated), and they almost sound more like the characters to me than the original cast.

I've watched some episodes of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour, and while I'm familiar with the Scooby-Doo segments, I'm finding it difficult to sit through the Dynomutt segments. I'll have to watch the Blue Falcon/Dynomutt episode of Harvey Birdman to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Old 08-30-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I've not seen this one, but I've heard good things. Your comments about Velma and Daphne freaked me out; I was afraid there were new voice actors! Perhaps they were having a bad day. Mindy Cohn has been voice Velma since 2004, and Grey Griffin took over Daphne when Mary Kay Bergman committed suicide in 1999. They've provided the voice throughout two of my favorite Scooby-Doo series (What's New and Mystery Incorporated), and they almost sound more like the characters to me than the original cast.
Don't be too hard on him. His choice for 3rd closest was Fred, who was voiced by Frank Welker, who has played Fred since Scooby Doo, Where Are You!
Old 08-30-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished Dark Shadows and all the bonus features. I'm completely done and getting ready to start the last disc of Clone Wars Season One.

Now it's going to feel weird to not have something to fall back on to watch like I've had since last October.
Old 08-30-15, 08:08 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Finished Dark Shadows and all the bonus features. I'm completely done and getting ready to start the last disc of Clone Wars Season One.
Congratulations! I envy your tenacity with sticking with that all the way through. I don't have anywhere near the will power and I love Dark Shadows.
Old 08-30-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Is it a totally new list, or is there a barebones one already around..? I think I missed past discussion.

Maurice LaMarche
Billy West

Kelly Hu
Nathan Fillion
No, not a whole new one, just a new category of voice actors for animation. If you check the first post, I have the suggested ones at the bottom under a spoiler tag.

Congratulations on your retirement!

I'm more of a fan from the earlier stuff, more than the current series/movies, so I'm definitely more familiar with those voices!

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Don't be too hard on him. His choice for 3rd closest was Fred, who was voiced by Frank Welker, who has played Fred since Scooby Doo, Where Are You!
*blushes* I never even thought to check. But Welker's voice sounded a bit different, maybe because I was playing it on my laptop or maybe because he's older now? It just didn't have the same tone, but was very similar. I admit to paying closer attention to Shaggy because Casey Kasem has passed and this is the first time I was listening to a none Kasem Shaggy. The girls, however, were way off for me.

Now it's going to feel weird to not have something to fall back on to watch like I've had since last October.
Yay! Congratulations! I'm super impressed you made it all the way through!
Old 08-30-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*blushes* I never even thought to check. But Welker's voice sounded a bit different, maybe because I was playing it on my laptop or maybe because he's older now? It just didn't have the same tone, but was very similar. I admit to paying closer attention to Shaggy because Casey Kasem has passed and this is the first time I was listening to a none Kasem Shaggy. The girls, however, were way off for me.
I'd say it's most likely due to his age, and it's probably more noticeable if you haven't watched any of the more recent shows (or movies).

And shame on you for not having watched any of the more recent shows. Watch the two seasons of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated. Thank me later.
Old 08-30-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd say it's most likely due to his age, and it's probably more noticeable if you haven't watched any of the more recent shows (or movies).

And shame on you for not having watched any of the more recent shows. Watch the two seasons of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated. Thank me later.
Seconded! It's a great series, and I believe it's available on Netflix.
Old 08-31-15, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started the challenge today with an episode of Batman: The Animated Series, 'Beware the Gray Ghost'. I hadn't watched the show in a while, so began to miss it.
Old 08-31-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Checklist was completed yesterday. I never get to all of the titles I would like but it's been a good challenge.
Old 08-31-15, 09:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
Congratulations! I envy your tenacity with sticking with that all the way through. I don't have anywhere near the will power and I love Dark Shadows.
Wow! That's quite impressive Peep. Have you done the math on your hours/day?

Sadly, I started Smallville at about the same time you started Dark Shadows and I'm still in season 3!
Old 08-31-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Congrats, Ash!

I've been using Buffy as a fallback over multiple challenges for a few years now, and I'm still in season 5!

My kids were really into Scooby (mostly the movies) for a few years, and I agree that Mystery Inc was a good series.
Old 08-31-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow! That's quite impressive Peep. Have you done the math on your hours/day?

Sadly, I started Smallville at about the same time you started Dark Shadows and I'm still in season 3!
About 19.5 days.

I know my wife wants me to start watching One Piece with her. At least there's only a little over half as many episodes as Dark Shadows and since we'd need to work our schedules together to watch, it won't be as much of a marathon.
Old 08-31-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll have to keep my eye out for this!

I went to put in the 3rd part of Evangelion (3.33, I think) that I had rented from the library and it didn't work at all. Tried two players. I'll have to see if they have another copy, but it won't be in time for the challenge, unfortunately.

I still have 3 titles I've been meaning to watch and hope to get at least one of them tonight-"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2," "Despicable Me 2" and the Windsor McCay Collection. But overall, I'm pretty pleased with my challenge. I was working on one of the animation lists at icheckmovies and I'm now down to 3 (would have been 2 if Evangelion would have worked!) so I'm pretty pleased with that. Most of my watches earlier in the month were to knock them off that list.

I'm glad people have had a good challenge this month! Still some hours left to go, so keep on watching!
Old 08-31-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seconded! It's a great series, and I believe it's available on Netflix.
Originally Posted by davidh777
My kids were really into Scooby (mostly the movies) for a few years, and I agree that Mystery Inc was a good series.
I've been praising the show since back when it was first airing on Cartoon Network. I missed the first few episodes, but I was immediately hooked. Luckily Cartoon Network showed a marathon of all the episodes up til then not long after I started watching.
It helps if you're a Hanna-Barbera fan (really it helps if you lived through the seventies and eighties), so you might miss a few in-jokes if you're not.
I still have 3 titles I've been meaning to watch and hope to get at least one of them tonight-"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2,"
Spoiler:
Man, I hated that movie. It was such a let down after the first one. Maybe I need to watch it in 3D.
Old 08-31-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to put in the 3rd part of Evangelion (3.33, I think) that I had rented from the library and it didn't work at all. Tried two players. I'll have to see if they have another copy, but it won't be in time for the challenge, unfortunately.

I still have 3 titles I've been meaning to watch and hope to get at least one of them tonight-"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2," "Despicable Me 2" and the Windsor McCay Collection. But overall, I'm pretty pleased with my challenge. I was working on one of the animation lists at icheckmovies and I'm now down to 3 (would have been 2 if Evangelion would have worked!) so I'm pretty pleased with that. Most of my watches earlier in the month were to knock them off that list.

I'm glad people have had a good challenge this month! Still some hours left to go, so keep on watching!
Don't think I'll do double credit tonight, but plan to continue the challenge in between Criterion watches. I plan to watch some Transformers, GI Joe, Voltron, MASK, and some possible Don Bluth and Disney.
Old 08-31-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't plan to stop watching cartoons tomorrow. Finally buckling down and watching the series I never finished. Been watching both G1, and Masterforce of the Transformers tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.