6th Annual August Animation Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 6th Annual August Animation Challenge

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I have chronic back problems as well, so I feel ya. Get better soon. Maybe some Robot Chicken will cheer you up?
Same here. I get a monthly check from the VA for it and I can camp for free in state parks because of it.
Old 08-27-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Same here. I get a monthly check from the VA for it and I can camp for free in state parks because of it.
So do I, as well as discounted hunting and fishing licenses.
Old 08-27-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a late start today, due to having to take another boxer to the vet today. She needed an allergy shot due to itching, and got her toenails cut.

When I got home, I finished an episode of Planet Dinosaur I started last night, about carnivores of the Cretacous period.
Old 08-27-15, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ speaking of dinosaurs - just came back from seeing Dinosaurs Alive 3D and wow, thought it was an IMAX feature I had seen before on DVD, but it wasn't I somehow missed the news that velociraptors had feathers and are far from accurate as what are featured in the Jurassic Park movie - great 3D effects from the animated dino's

then saw Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet - what fascinated me the most, and I went into this movie rather blindly, is that eight of the poems featured in the movie are directed by separate directors - Bill Plympton's was the most obvious to me.
Old 08-27-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
^ speaking of dinosaurs - just came back from seeing Dinosaurs Alive 3D and wow, thought it was an IMAX feature I had seen before on DVD, but it wasn't I somehow missed the news that velociraptors had feathers and are far from accurate as what are featured in the Jurassic Park movie - great 3D effects from the animated dino's

then saw Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet - what fascinated me the most, and I went into this movie rather blindly, is that eight of the poems featured in the movie are directed by separate directors - Bill Plympton's was the most obvious to me.
Dinosaurs Alive sounds great. We don't have an IMAX near us though. Have to wait for it to hit Netflix or Hulu.

Just finished another episode of Godzilla: The Original Animated Series on Hulu. I used to watch it Saturday mornings as a kid, and to me at least, it still holds up.
Old 08-27-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, Iraq earned me a 50% disability. But I get to drive on the tollways for free because vet!

Last edited by Whiskey Warfield; 08-27-15 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Probably NOT Godzilla, though....
I think they're talking about the one with puppets which would count...

I survived the day (had a lot of fun) with no injuries unless you count a blister! Didn't even fall once. Whoot! Got to Shaun the Sheep, which was excellent! If you get a chance, go see it! Not a word of dialogue other than a couple songs, but you didn't need it. My nieces, 12 and 7, both really loved it, too! We all laughed really loudly in a lot of places. One of the best films I've seen this summer.
Old 08-27-15, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765

I survived the day (had a lot of fun) with no injuries unless you count a blister! Didn't even fall once. Whoot! Got to Shaun the Sheep, which was excellent! If you get a chance, go see it! Not a word of dialogue other than a couple songs, but you didn't need it. My nieces, 12 and 7, both really loved it, too! We all laughed really loudly in a lot of places. One of the best films I've seen this summer.
it really is, I wish more folk would see it and put Aardman's stop motion animated movies back on the map.
Old 08-27-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
it really is, I wish more folk would see it and put Aardman's stop motion animated movies back on the map.
You know what was really nice? None of the jokes were really at anyone's expense. I mean, there was a "bad" guy and the bit at the end with the manure was a little gross, but it was mostly good, "clean" fun. There wasn't a ton of violence, there wasn't swearing, it was just a fun caper film. I wasn't afraid of taking my nieces to it, where they might pick something up that I'd get yelled at by their mom. I've watched Wallace and Gromit before, so I knew I'd enjoy it at least somewhat but it didn't need to rely on any of that kind of stuff to make it funny and enjoyable. I wish more kid's films would be like that, honestly.
Old 08-28-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad you had fun.

I started this morning by watching the second cartoon of an episode of Baby Looney Tunes. Seeing baby versions of some of my favorite characters was cute.
Old 08-28-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't the only Criterion godzilla film the original one?
Old 08-28-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Isn't the only Criterion godzilla film the original one?
Yes.
Old 08-28-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm a big fan of Aardman and Shaun the Sheep, but I wasn't sure I was going to make it a priority to see this in theaters. Maybe I should change my thinking.
Old 08-28-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...Got to Shaun the Sheep, which was excellent! If you get a chance, go see it! Not a word of dialogue other than a couple songs, but you didn't need it. My nieces, 12 and 7, both really loved it, too! We all laughed really loudly in a lot of places. One of the best films I've seen this summer.
I love Aardman's stop motion projects and can hardly wait for this one to arrive on disc (I VERY MUCH dislike the theater "experience"). I'm still regretting not purchasing Shaun the Sheep S1 TV series before it went OOP and prices skyrocketed! I'd avoided it because it was produced in WS but made it to disc as FS versions. Bummer. Still, I now wished I'd have picked it up anyway. Oh well... if the movie is a money maker maybe they'll do a proper re-release.
Old 08-28-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I love Aardman's stop motion projects and can hardly wait for this one to arrive on disc (I VERY MUCH dislike the theater "experience"). I'm still regretting not purchasing Shaun the Sheep S1 TV series before it went OOP and prices skyrocketed! I'd avoided it because it was produced in WS but made it to disc as FS versions. Bummer. Still, I now wished I'd have picked it up anyway. Oh well... if the movie is a money maker maybe they'll do a proper re-release.
If you've got a dvd player that's multi-region capable, the series 1 and series 2 boxes are still available in the UK.
Old 08-28-15, 02:48 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I finally finished the checklist so I think that I am done with this challenge except for watching Watership Down on Monday night to go with the Criterion challenge also. I've broken 70 hours and so I am just a little burned out on animation right now.
Old 08-28-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm a big fan of Aardman and Shaun the Sheep, but I wasn't sure I was going to make it a priority to see this in theaters. Maybe I should change my thinking.
Go see it! I went in the late afternoon, so there were just us and about 6 other people (a family). For a while I thought we were going to have a viewing with just the three of us. I try to go random times like that when not as many people are in the theater to avoid having a big crowd to deal with.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I finally finished the checklist so I think that I am done with this challenge except for watching Watership Down on Monday night to go with the Criterion challenge also. I've broken 70 hours and so I am just a little burned out on animation right now.
Congrats on finishing! I still have a few left that I'm working on that I hope to finish in the next day or two.

I have to admit this was not my favorite movie. I thought it was way too bloody and just not my cup of tea. I am glad I watched it as it helps me a lot in trivia games I play, though.
Old 08-28-15, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
when I did my double feature over the Arclight the other day I noted that a large summer group of kids were seeing 'Shaun' - the staff were equally excited in seeing it.
Old 08-28-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I have to admit this was not my favorite movie. I thought it was way too bloody and just not my cup of tea. I am glad I watched it as it helps me a lot in trivia games I play, though.
And one joke in Wallace & Grommit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit.
Old 08-28-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
And one joke in Wallace & Grommit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit.
I can't say that I remember that, but I love knowing jokes like that. It makes watching things a lot funner when you get the inside joke.

I finished the checklist tonight. I may go back over and try to fill in more of the blank spots, but I have two movies from the library to watch plus 3 others of my own that I still want to watch for the challenge.

How are people finishing up? Did you meet your goals? I'd have to say "Shaun the Sheep" was the best one I've watched so far this month, but I did enjoy some of the Japanese films as well, like "Cowboy Bebop." Not sure if I'll watch them again, but I'm glad I did finally watch them.

Are people still thinking of voice actors to add to the checklist for next year? I was thinking about adding Mickey Rooney but I'm not certain he's been in enough. He has been in several though, especially Christmas themed animation.
Old 08-28-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't say that I remember that, but I love knowing jokes like that. It makes watching things a lot funner when you get the inside joke.

I finished the checklist tonight. I may go back over and try to fill in more of the blank spots, but I have two movies from the library to watch plus 3 others of my own that I still want to watch for the challenge.

How are people finishing up? Did you meet your goals? I'd have to say "Shaun the Sheep" was the best one I've watched so far this month, but I did enjoy some of the Japanese films as well, like "Cowboy Bebop." Not sure if I'll watch them again, but I'm glad I did finally watch them.

Are people still thinking of voice actors to add to the checklist for next year? I was thinking about adding Mickey Rooney but I'm not certain he's been in enough. He has been in several though, especially Christmas themed animation.
I hit 200 items watched tonight, so I'd say I reached my goal. Still got a couple movies I want to see, but I think for the most part, I'm ready to slow down. Thanks for running this LJG. I had a great time.
Old 08-28-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping to hit 50 shows, 2000 minutes by the end.
Old 08-29-15, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early, so decided to finish The Land Before Time, that I started last night. I loved it.
Old 08-29-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have 17 episodes of Dark Shadows left and then I'm going to finish season 1 of Clone Wars, for the challenge.
Old 08-29-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I woke up early, so decided to finish The Land Before Time, that I started last night. I loved it.
This was one of my favorites as a kid. It still is a fun watch.
I have 17 episodes of Dark Shadows left and then I'm going to finish season 1 of Clone Wars, for the challenge.
This is amazing. I bet you are feeling pretty good-you had a TON of episodes to go through!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.