Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual August Animation Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 6th Annual August Animation Challenge

Oh, I almost forgot to post this! I just got the confirmation about this month's prizes! Thanks again to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!

The prizes are:

1. Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, Happiness is...Peanuts: Snoopy's Adventures, He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown, and You're A Good Sport, Charlie Brown

2. Archie's Weird Mysteries: The Complete Series, The Wacky World of Tex Avery V. 1, Toxic Crusaders: The Movie and The Animated Movie Guide (book)

3. The Richie Rich Scooby-Doo Show v. 1, Saturday Morning Cartoons V1: 1960s and Saturday Morning Cartoons V1:1970s

*Just as a reminder, our sponsor requests that prize winners must live in the United States.
Old 08-08-15, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Wow, first time viewing Akira. I do not get the love for this movie. I don't know why it's on the 1001 Movies list, either. If they just wanted an example of anime, both Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll are far better than this in both animation quality and story.
I didn't get AKIRA until my 5th or 6th time watching it. But I liked it enough to keep watching it until I got it. Of course, there's been so much anime like it since 1989 that it may not seem fresh anymore. But it certainly was fresh at the time. AKIRA was the anime feature that, more than any other film, propelled the movement of anime fandom in this country (the U.S.). Nobody here had seen anything like it in animation and when people came to realize there was a lot more like it (e.g. BUBBLEGUM CRISIS), anime took off, at least on the college film circuit and video rental market. Titles like NINJA SCROLL and GHOST IN THE SHELL came later. But AKIRA does get better with repeat viewings. And it retains its historical significance.
Old 08-08-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I haven't had a day when I focus on animation in quite a few days, so thought today was as good as any, especially since I think I ate some bad beef last night, and am sick to my stomach. I started what I got up, by finishing the first disc on Volume 4 of MASK.
Old 08-08-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm depressed today, so not going to force myself to do a marathon when my heart's not in it. I'll keep an eye on the thread today, but just gonna watch what I want.
Old 08-08-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Oh, I almost forgot to post this! I just got the confirmation about this month's prizes! Thanks again to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!
The prizes are:
1. Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, Happiness is...Peanuts: Snoopy's Adventures, He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown, and You're A Good Sport, Charlie Brown
2. Archie's Weird Mysteries: The Complete Series, The Wacky World of Tex Avery V. 1, Toxic Crusaders: The Movie and The Animated Movie Guide (book)
3. The Richie Rich Scooby-Doo Show v. 1, Saturday Morning Cartoons V1: 1960s and Saturday Morning Cartoons V1:1970s
Many, many thanks to GoldenWheels for all he does to support these challenges. I still have the blu of Frankenhooker I won lo these many years ago.
Old 08-08-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Many, many thanks to GoldenWheels for all he does to support these challenges. I still have the blu of Frankenhooker I won lo these many years ago.
I still have my DVD of the same movie.

When I couldn't think of a good movie, I decided to start on the Witchblade anime. It is a very good story.
Old 08-08-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I still have the blu of Frankenhooker I won lo these many years ago.
I think many of us can make that statement.

But yes, we're blessed by the constant support of GoldenWheels/Hamilton Books.
Old 08-09-15, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On Thursday, I went to the Al Hirschfeld exhibit at the New York Historical Society and they showed the "Rhapsody in Blue" segment from FANTASIA 2000, which relied on Hirschfeld's cartooning style for its design. This reminded me that I'd never seen FANTASIA 2000 even though I have it on DVD, so I watched it yesterday. Of the new segments included, that one's the best. (The best segment is, of course, the replay of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from the original 1940 film.) The rest of the segments are all very nicely animated, but something's missing. there isn't much in the way of real imagination and there's very little humor. Plus, all the celebrity hosts (Steve Martin, Bette Midler, Penn & Teller) make it look like a TV special and not a movie.

George Gershwin performing "Rhapsody in Blue" in the segment:

And my daughter's animation history teacher, John Culhane, was caricatured in the piece, too:
Old 08-09-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched Challenge of the GoBots (Eps 1-5) yesterday, something I have probably not seen since its debut 30 years ago. I had a good laugh with this scene though, the announcer emphatically proclaiming,

"Suddenly, Cy-Kill makes an outstanding conversion!"

Old 08-09-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbone

I watched Challenge of the GoBots (Eps 1-5) yesterday, something I have probably not seen since its debut 30 years ago. I had a good laugh with this scene though, the announcer emphatically proclaiming,

"Suddenly, Cy-Kill makes an outstanding conversion!"

Was it on the 4th down with 30 seconds on the clock?
Old 08-09-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for some dinosaurs to start my challenge for today, and since both Walking with Dinosaurs, and the later Walking with Prehistoric Beasts is all CGI, I decided to watch some of that. I just finished 'Time of the Titans' on Amazon Instant Video, about the life of a diplodocus, from the time of her hatching, till she joins an adult herd.
Old 08-09-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was in the mood for some dinosaurs to start my challenge for today, and since both Walking with Dinosaurs, and the later Walking with Prehistoric Beasts is all CGI, I decided to watch some of that.
I love that series. Walking with Monsters is my favorite.
Old 08-09-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love that series. Walking with Monsters is my favorite.
I don't have that series yet, Just the two I previously mentioned. Just finished the episode about the pterosaurs.
Old 08-10-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Today, I went to the 48 Hour Film Project Festival in Oklahoma City. One of my friends had participated, and I tagged along as morale support. I didn't know what to expect, but it ended up being a very enjoyable experience seeing 21 mostly good films. There were a few duds, but all held together - especially given the strict time limit. (I think my friend spelt a total of six hours over the course of the 48.

Before and after, I settled down with my cats and watched a majority of Gravitation, an anime about an up-and-coming singer (male) who falls for a romantic novelist (also male). The novelist is a brooding, mysterious type, and the musician is emotional and spastic. One smokes and scowls; the other often transforms into chibi-mood. It's fun and quirky. It doesn't really explore the gay angle, and the sexuality of the characters isn't really addressed. However, I knew going into it that it wouldn't be deep or necessarily make a lot of sense.
Old 08-10-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched The Adventures of Mark Twain yesterday -- another one I have not seen since the '80s. I didn't realize that Mark Vinton was the man of claymation. He addressed the oft-mentioned piece The Mysterious Stranger in his commentary:  He stated that his intention was not to make a kid-oriented film but he understood why people would think that given his medium of stop motion animation.

LINK

I still love the design of the airship and the concept of the Indexivator is pretty cool.

Last edited by wishbone; 08-10-15 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-15, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ oh that's one bluray I gotta watch

been watching the last season of 'Futurama' - with the commentary tracks - they're a scream.
Old 08-10-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started today by finishing Walking with Dinosaurs. The last episode dealt with a Tyrannosaurus Rex raising two chicks right before the comet hit.
Old 08-10-15, 12:52 PM

Bitzer exclaims "Go See Shaun the Sheep movie'

Old 08-10-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to see this in a theater during its limited run this past week, but the only theater in NYC showing it has sold out its entire run:

So I watched some Dragon Ball Z Kai eps. on Cartoon Network this past weekend instead.
Old 08-10-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I finished Walking with Dinosaurs earlier today, I decided to start on
Walking with Beasts. The top predator in the first episode is a giant bird.
Old 08-10-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm back! Thanks to shadokitty for keeping an eye out here this weekend! Had a good time visiting with my friends but am exhausted! 5 hours in the car today plus a dentist visit...ugh! Worth it though.

Originally Posted by Giles
Bitzer exclaims "Go See Shaun the Sheep movie'

Saw this previewed at the last movie I went to and thought it looked cute. That good?

Definitely! GoldenWheels does a lot for these challenges and as a host, I've very appreciative of everything he does, along with HamiltonBooks! They are both very generous!
Old 08-10-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was glad to help out. It was no problem at all.
Old 08-10-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YouTube has a lot of good, classic cartoons. I just finished a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and last night, I watched a Tennessee Tuxedo cartoon.
Old 08-10-15, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
I'm back! Thanks to shadokitty for keeping an eye out here this weekend! Had a good time visiting with my friends but am exhausted! 5 hours in the car today plus a dentist visit...ugh! Worth it though.

Saw this previewed at the last movie I went to and thought it looked cute. That good?

Definitely! GoldenWheels does a lot for these challenges and as a host, I've very appreciative of everything he does, along with HamiltonBooks! They are both very generous!
for 83 minute movie devoid of dialogue - and it was funny and held my attention AND a rotten tomatoes rating of 99% - the critics aren't wrong about it..
Old 08-10-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I wanted to see this in a theater during its limited run this past week, but the only theater in NYC showing it has sold out its entire run:

So I watched some Dragon Ball Z Kai eps. on Cartoon Network this past weekend instead.
That reminds me. A few months ago I bought Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods on Amazon Instant Video. Will probably watch it some time this month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.