DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Official 8th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Official 8th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gobear
Currently watching Escape from L.A.. I know many people disagree, but I love this sequel as much as I do the original. And is it just me, or is Kurt Russell doing a Clint Eastwood impression through the whole movie?
I just listened to the Kurt Russell & John Carpenter commentary on the Escape from New York Special Edition DVD and Kurt Russell says he played Snake with a Clint Eastwood style voice because Lee Van Cleef was in the film.
Originally Posted by LJG765
Hmm, maybe this should be something that because a permanent rule because you're right, they're all the same universe and interconnected. Though, Captain America does have the sci-fi rating. As does CA 2. Daredevil the movie has a fantasy tag, so that's eligible; it's just the TV show that doesn't. Actually, I just looked up most of the first wave of Marvel movies and didn't find any that didn't have a qualifying tag...I remember there was one earlier that didn't have the tag but was part of a comic book series? I can look it up later, just too tired to tonight.

I'd be ok with adding to the rules for next year if I am running it again something to the effect of "Any superhero movie or TV show that is part of a wider Sci-Fi or Fantasy universe would also qualify even without the tag at IMDb.com or allmovie.com. Ex: Daredevil the TV show qualifies."

Any yeas or nays? I wouldn't change it for this year as the challenge is well under way, but I would amend the rules for next year.
Are there any similar situations, like sequels that don't count while the original film does? I may not even get around to Daredevil this month, and you already said we could count it if we watch it (with a wildcard). I was just throwing it out there.
Watching the movie with the commentary will count as an entry.

Watching multiple versions (theatrical and director's cut) of the same movie will also count.
I'm about to listen to a second Escape from New York commentary, and was wondering if it should be one or two items. I take it this means only one commentary per film. Or does it since multiple versions count as separate entries?

It doesn't matter really, I'm okay with just listing both commentaries as one item.

Last edited by Dimension X; 07-11-15 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-11-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

...I remember there was one earlier that didn't have the tag but was part of a comic book series? I can look it up later, just too tired to tonight.
I believe it was Batman Begins. None of the new reboot version films have SF or Fantasy tags, and rightly so as they're pretty well grounded in non-SF territory being mostly action/adventure/drama films. While I've not yet seen the third film of that trilogy I doubt it'll have any more SF/Fantasy elements than did the first two (which, unless you count a 2 ton vehicle running across rooftops, were none). The only way I'd count these myself would be the somewhat loose association these films have to the comic.

Batman Forever is the only one of the earlier Batman series with a Fantasy tag. I'd think all of that group would fall under at least Fantasy based on events of the films.

Even though the Batman TV series has both SF/Fantasy tags the film spun out of the show does not although it *does* have SF elements.

The animated Batman products all have SF/Fantasy tags.

In the comcs, Batman has lived in the same universe as Superman since 1941 which would have him count under the "shared universe" rules.
Old 07-11-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Got a late start today, due to being busy all day. We have our cousin coming to spend the night on Monday, and I had my vacation to prepare for.

Started the day with part 2 of the original Battlestar Galactica pilot. It seemed like the second episode was better than the first.
Old 07-11-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

All my Mothra viewing led me to compile a new blog entry comparing three Mothra films:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/...1992-and-1996/

MOTHRA (1961)

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (1992)

REBIRTH OF MOTHRA (1996)
Old 07-12-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Spoiler:
I believe it was Batman Begins. None of the new reboot version films have SF or Fantasy tags, and rightly so as they're pretty well grounded in non-SF territory being mostly action/adventure/drama films. While I've not yet seen the third film of that trilogy I doubt it'll have any more SF/Fantasy elements than did the first two (which, unless you count a 2 ton vehicle running across rooftops, were none). The only way I'd count these myself would be the somewhat loose association these films have to the comic.

Batman Forever is the only one of the earlier Batman series with a Fantasy tag. I'd think all of that group would fall under at least Fantasy based on events of the films.

Even though the Batman TV series has both SF/Fantasy tags the film spun out of the show does not although it *does* have SF elements.

The animated Batman products all have SF/Fantasy tags.

In the comics, Batman has lived in the same universe as Superman since 1941 which would have him count under the "shared universe" rules.
Looked it up, the question was about the Punisher movies, which I haven't watched, but are based on a comic book. The premise didn't sound sci-fi to me, so I said it could be a wildcard as it was based on a comic.

For me, I give more leeway towards Batman as you could consider all his tech part of the sci-fi aspect. His futuristic car, his belt, even in the early show he had more advanced helicopters, boats and so on. While he isn't a super human, the tech was always featured. But you're right, Batman does live in the same universe/interact with many characters that are straight out fantasy/sci-fi, so probably would count.

I guess the question become: does anyone want to make me to make a change to the rules about superhero movies/comic book movies (and shows) or should it be how it is now: up to the host's discretion? I am fine either way and will go with the majority. Either way, it wouldn't change for this year.

The last couple days I've been watching Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. I'm torn. I find myself struggling to get any enthusiasm for watching it. I find that there is one good episode and then one I don't enjoy. I am finding myself annoyed at all the half answers and conspiracy theory going on. I almost didn't tape this second season but thought I'd give it one more chance since I love the movies so much and enjoyed Coulson in them and in the shorts, but I am finding this season especially everything I don't like in a show. :/ I have 7 more episodes left of the season that I hope to finish this week, but think I'm going to switch back to movies for a bit first.
Old 07-12-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm fine with whatever is decided.

Woke up in the middle of the night and was wide awake, so started the day early with The Road Warrior. I wish sometime I could see the first movie.
Old 07-12-15, 09:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

As far as counting, I thought it was always up to the viewer's discretion.

Superhero films, while not always sci-fi, could probably always be argued at least as fantasy.
Old 07-12-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looked it up, the question was about the Punisher movies...
Right... I forgot about that one.
I guess the question become: does anyone want to make me to make a change to the rules about superhero movies/comic book movies (and shows) or should it be how it is now: up to the host's discretion? I am fine either way and will go with the majority. Either way, it wouldn't change for this year.
I wouldn't say "make" you change but it *does* make sense in spite of some such films not truly fitting the genre rules. While I'd not automatically include *all* films based on a comic book, although the vast majority count, I *would* include anything that takes place in a *shared* "superhero" universe. That pulls in stuff like Punisher, Daredevil, the Batman films, and a few others which normally would not qualify.
Old 07-12-15, 02:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

^ Right. There are millions of comic books based on real world events. Movies based on them probably would never count, although I haven't seen many of the prime examples like Ghost World and Road to Perdition.
Old 07-12-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally started binge watching Sense8 on Netflix. So far, so good. Think I'll use a wildcard later to watch Kingsman: The Secret Service. Been dying to watch it again. In mean, back to Eréndira Ibarra... wow.
Old 07-12-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to watch Eragon along with Game of Thrones sometime this month, as they are both on HBO On Demand. Meanwhile, I've slowly been working my way through MASK. It's amazing how some theme songs get caught in your head.
Old 07-12-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right... I forgot about that one.

I wouldn't say "make" you change but it *does* make sense in spite of some such films not truly fitting the genre rules. While I'd not automatically include *all* films based on a comic book, although the vast majority count, I *would* include anything that takes place in a *shared* "superhero" universe. That pulls in stuff like Punisher, Daredevil, the Batman films, and a few others which normally would not qualify.
Make may have been a bad choice-just meant should I or is it not really needed...

Also, wanted to let you and shadokitty know that I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" last night and while I didn't feel it was the best movie ever, I did enjoy it. It was just the right length and I liked the actors in it. I'd watch it again. I'm actually thinking about seeing if I can get the remake and watch that too, to compare them.
Old 07-13-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shadokitty, I believe it was you who mentioned watching "Trip to the Moon" at the beginning of the challenge. I found the version you watched on Amazon Prime and am so glad I did! I have watched the b&w version before but not the color and was really impressed at the quality of it. Then, I watched the documentary that followed. Wow, I had no idea! What a passion project restoring the whole thing. Amazing! The patience needed to not only photograph each frame, but then wait years for tech to catch up with their need...

I wasn't planning on watching the b&w version again but I am finding myself wanting to, just to see the comparison so close to the viewing of the color.

Only negative? The music. Ugh, awful! Thankfully the documentary was given a better soundtrack than the actual film.
Old 07-13-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

shadokitty, I believe it was you who mentioned watching "Trip to the Moon" at the beginning of the challenge. I found the version you watched on Amazon Prime and am so glad I did! I have watched the b&w version before but not the color and was really impressed at the quality of it. Then, I watched the documentary that followed. Wow, I had no idea! What a passion project restoring the whole thing. Amazing! The patience needed to not only photograph each frame, but then wait years for tech to catch up with their need...

I wasn't planning on watching the b&w version again but I am finding myself wanting to, just to see the comparison so close to the viewing of the color.

Only negative? The music. Ugh, awful! Thankfully the documentary was given a better soundtrack than the actual film.

I'll have to watch it on Prime. The documentary sounds good, and Netflix didn't have that part. Woke up in the middle of the night, so decided to work on the challenge. Just finished Disc 1 of Volume 2 of MASK. I'm making good progress, while not neglecting other shows and movies.
Old 07-13-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the documentary somehow... I need to check again as that's on the physical releases of that project and sounded very interesting. When I looked at the physical releases after viewing the color version I wished that documentary was also available on Prime streaming as well.

You *should* watch the BW version (Amazon link here or "HD" version here - just the film, both with the same audio track). This one has a spoken audio track with piano accompaniment. I didn't read the blurb on the video and thought the spoken track was a later addition when I saw it earlier this month and pretty much dismissed it. I then discovered that was as performed in the U.S. in 1903, and one of several methods of viewing (like with the color version). The Amazon blurb says:
The black and white version of A Trip to the Moon with music and voice characterizations recreates the creative way that enterprising American nickelodeon operators presented Méliès' film when it came to the United States in 1903.
**EDIT**
I found the version you watched. It's the "HD" version and is called "A Trip to the Moon & The Extraordinary Voyage Deluxe Combo" which is why I missed the documentary. The one I found is only the film in "standard" def: "A Trip to the Moon (Color Restored)."

I'll be watching that documentary sometime this month.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-13-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to hit the challenge hard today, even staying up for a late night marathon until I can't stay awake any longer. I also have a question. When Mister Peepers ran the Challenge, he ruled that the Nightmare on Elm Street films counted as dark fantasy. Does that ruling still count? And how about Friday the 13th, as from 6 on Jason was a zombie.
Old 07-13-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'll have to watch it on Prime. The documentary sounds good, and Netflix didn't have that part. Woke up in the middle of the night, so decided to work on the challenge. Just finished Disc 1 of Volume 2 of MASK. I'm making good progress, while not neglecting other shows and movies.
Bob got the right link. The set up is the color version first, then it goes right into the doc, then finishes up with the b&w.

I missed the documentary somehow... I need to check again as that's on the physical releases of that project and sounded very interesting. When I looked at the physical releases after viewing the color version I wished that documentary was also available on Prime streaming as well.

You *should* watch the BW version (Amazon link here or "HD" version here - just the film, both with the same audio track). This one has a spoken audio track with piano accompaniment. I didn't read the blurb on the video and thought the spoken track was a later addition when I saw it earlier this month and pretty much dismissed it. I then discovered that was as performed in the U.S. in 1903, and one of several methods of viewing (like with the color version). The Amazon blurb says:

**EDIT**
I found the version you watched. It's the "HD" version and is called "A Trip to the Moon & The Extraordinary Voyage Deluxe Combo" which is why I missed the documentary. The one I found is only the film in "standard" def: "A Trip to the Moon (Color Restored)."

I'll be watching that documentary sometime this month.
Yup, you got the right one. It's all one file/track so it's a bit confusing if you're looking for just the doc. I did finish up and watch the b&w. The spoken track was alright. Actually, learning that this was part of the film from the beginning makes me like it a bit better. I really did think that it was something they added recently. The music for the first one, though, was just awful.
I plan to hit the challenge hard today, even staying up for a late night marathon until I can't stay awake any longer. I also have a question. When Mister Peepers ran the Challenge, he ruled that the Nightmare on Elm Street films counted as dark fantasy. Does that ruling still count? And how about Friday the 13th, as from 6 on Jason was a zombie.
I can accept that. Go for it.
Old 07-13-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, wanted to let you and shadokitty know that I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" last night and while I didn't feel it was the best movie ever, I did enjoy it. It was just the right length and I liked the actors in it. I'd watch it again. I'm actually thinking about seeing if I can get the remake and watch that too, to compare them.
That's one of my favorite sci-fi movies (you're talking about the b&w 1956 version, right?) and I'm glad you got to see it. I've only seen one of the remakes (1978) and I wasn't crazy about it when I saw it in 1978, but I'd need to see it again to compare. The star and director from 1956, Kevin McCarthy and Don Siegel, both make cameos in it. McCarthy lasted a long time, acting until he was 95 and dying in 2010 at 96. He always looked way younger than his years. I saw him in person once at an actors strike in 1980 (he was hanging out with Martin Balsam and Jason Robards) and he would have been about 66 and he moved like he was 30-40 years younger. He bounded around like a kid, having a blast. Amazing.
Old 07-13-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's one of my favorite sci-fi movies (you're talking about the b&w 1956 version, right?) and I'm glad you got to see it. I've only seen one of the remakes (1978) and I wasn't crazy about it when I saw it in 1978, but I'd need to see it again to compare. The star and director from 1956, Kevin McCarthy and Don Siegel, both make cameos in it. McCarthy lasted a long time, acting until he was 95 and dying in 2010 at 96. He always looked way younger than his years. I saw him in person once at an actors strike in 1980 (he was hanging out with Martin Balsam and Jason Robards) and he would have been about 66 and he moved like he was 30-40 years younger. He bounded around like a kid, having a blast. Amazing.
Yep, the 1956 version. Gotta start with the original! I kind of looked for the later remake but I saw my library didn't have it. Haven't looked to see if Amazon has it or if it's somewhere else, yet though. I am sort of interested in seeing it, but I have so much that I can watch this month, I'm not going out of my way to find it right now.

That is really cool that you got to see him. It's fun when you can see an actor you've only seen on screen in person. I haven't met many, just one or two, but it's has always changed my view of that person, just because it's so hard to picture an actor NOT being in their role. Does that make sense?
Old 07-13-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, the 1956 version. Gotta start with the original! I kind of looked for the later remake but I saw my library didn't have it. Haven't looked to see if Amazon has it or if it's somewhere else, yet though. I am sort of interested in seeing it, but I have so much that I can watch this month, I'm not going out of my way to find it right now.

That is really cool that you got to see him. It's fun when you can see an actor you've only seen on screen in person. I haven't met many, just one or two, but it's has always changed my view of that person, just because it's so hard to picture an actor NOT being in their role. Does that make sense?
I missed it, but if you get Encore, it was played on Encore Suspense recently, and it may air again this month.
Old 07-13-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I missed it, but if you get Encore, it was played on Encore Suspense recently, and it may air again this month.
Thanks for the heads up, but I don't get Encore, unfortunately. I haven't seen a free weekend coming up either-they just had one. D'oh!
Old 07-13-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Got in my second Wisely feature tonight. I had forgotten that it's a young Wisely adventure. The LA bits are a little painful, but otherwise there's plenty to like. The plot involves an somewhat incomprehensible mash of geomancy and feng shui, but there's enough action to keep you happily engaged.
Old 07-13-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's one of my favorite sci-fi movies (you're talking about the b&w 1956 version, right?) and I'm glad you got to see it. I've only seen one of the remakes (1978) and I wasn't crazy about it when I saw it in 1978, but I'd need to see it again to compare.
I felt that way about the 1978 version the first time I saw in during original release. I saw it again many years later and my opinion greatly improved. While I prefer the 1956 version that 1978 remake is one of a handful of remakes that is worthy and should be seen.
Old 07-14-15, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started today with the second part of an episode of UFO Files. It dealt with the capture of a hypothetical flying saucer, and how a team of scientists studied it in hopes of unlocking its technology.
Old 07-14-15, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Got in my second Wisely feature tonight. I had forgotten that it's a young Wisely adventure. The LA bits are a little painful, but otherwise there's plenty to like. The plot involves an somewhat incomprehensible mash of geomancy and feng shui, but there's enough action to keep you happily engaged.
What's the name of it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.