Old 04-20-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

presents

The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge
May 1-31, 2015

The list thread is now active.

May is just over a week and a half away, so it's time, once again, to take a look at your dusty, unopened box sets, your unwatched stacks of Blu-rays, DVDs, HD-DVDs, LDs, VHS or Beta tapes, your DVR, your Netflix queue, etc., and decide what you should spend 31 days watching. Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.

You choose your own Challenge theme and you make the rules.

There are however a few guidelines which everyone should follow.

Challenge Guidelines:

The Challenge runs from May 1 through May 31.

Sure, you can run your May MYOC in September if you want, but the list thread will only be stickied during May, so if you want anyone else to see what you're up to, please try to do it near those dates.

Please state your challenge theme and your challenge goal and rules (if any) at the top of your list(s) in the list thread so others can tell what you're doing.

Please don't duplicate an existing "Official" DVD Talk Challenge.

This guideline is mainly here so we don't subtract from participation in any of the other Challenges, and to encourage participants to focus on genres not already covered by a Challenge, but since everyone's "need to watch" list is different, and you're able to watch stuff that qualifies for one or more of the other Challenges during every other Challenge, you're free to narrow the focus of one of the broader "Official" Challenges.

For example; Say you only collect horror, then you could make your Challenge to watch just horror films, or just horror TV shows, or just zombie films, etc. Or if you have lots of unwatched Sci-Fi, then your MYOC could be just watch Sci-Fi movies, or watch Star Trek shows, or watch TOS, etc.

Here's Trevor's handy-dandy list of Challenges from his "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium thread:

DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVHoliday ends on the 1st; varying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award
MarchAction/Adventure/Crimevarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movienone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

Since we already have Monthly "Unwatched Movie Pile" Threads, please do not use "Unwatched Movie Pile" as a theme.

During past MYOCs, people weren't happy with this being used as a theme, and I tend to agree that it is a little lazy. So how about giving a little thought to the theme and coming up with something a little more creative, please?

Check out the previous threads for ideas:
2010 discussion thread.
2010 list thread.
2011 discussion thread.
2011 list thread.
2012 discussion thread.
2012 list thread.
2013 discussion thread.
2013 list thread.
2014 discussion thread.
2014 list thread.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Free stuff!

provided by

Thanks, GoldenWheels!

HOW TO WIN
On June 1st, three winners will be randomly chosen from the Challenge participants (using Random.org). In keeping with the spirit of the Make-Your-Own Challenge, those three winners will pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

Prize selection will be limited to items priced $25 or less.

You must have a US mailing address to receive a prize.

Any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 4.

I will announce the prizes chosen so we can all be envious and/or amused by the selections.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-27-15 at 07:29 PM.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Previously, in another thread:

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'm lucky if I get the discussion threads for my two challenges started a week before the challenges start. I can see starting the October one a month (or more) early since it's an "event," but I don't think it's really necessary with the others. Most people who are going to participate already know the rules, etc. by now.
Originally Posted by davidh777
I think the main appeal of seeing the discussion thread get started is just knowing that the host is still willing to run the challenge.
Originally Posted by Giles
I've already decided my 'Make Your Own' challenge theme - "any and everything related to nature and animals"
well I do have that (the bluray) in my 'To Watch' pile.
Don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've already started working on my own version of make your own challenge, as I already need a break from the Drive In challenge.
The nice thing about it, is you don't need to make a thread for someone to start in on it. Just watch what you want to watch.
Crap, you beat me to it.

Spoiler:

But seriously, don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.
I'm thinking of not limiting myself to next month's challenge, as my tastes vary from day to day. I might just take a month off to watch what I feel like watching, as there is already a tv challenge.
Spoiler:
Again, don't make me have to start the discussion thread before the last week in April.

Actually, I might start the thread sometime next week, if I get the time.

Remember, for the MYOC you can narrow the focus of an existing challenge, so if you want to watch TV only, you could just list what you watch on Roku, or your DVR, etc.
I wasn't trying to make you start the thread early, was just making a comment. I also never thought of that.
Originally Posted by mcline87
Thinking of MYOC got me thinking of a MAJOR year-long "challenge". I know we have a TV challenge in January but if anyone is like me they watch a lot of tv. I know personally I have a lot of unwatched BD/DVD shows not to mention what I watch weekly and then to put the cherry on top I now have hte premium stations (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) so I have tons of new stuff to watch. I know there are a lot who are die-hard tv watchers so may I propose a year-long (starting May/June) TV blowout challenge? It won't negate any of the other challenges but would kind of be on top of them. Would anyone be interested in a year-long tv cleanup "challenge"?
I gather thinking ahead is frowned down upon I just happen to have all these nature 3D blurays just sitting and screaming 'watch me!'
I'll start the thread in a few days, when I get a chance. I just don't want to start it too early because it never gets a whole lot of posts. Of course, it's not like it's gonna fall off the front page or anything.
I love this challenge, but the individual nature of it tends to keep the discussion down.
Yeah, I know.

Which is why I hate discussing it in this thread - fewer posts in an already desert wasteland. Okay, you've all convinced me; I'll start the thread now. It's not like it's that hard to do, or that time-consuming.

Give me a few minutes.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Now that we have a place to discuss the May MYOC. I'll start.

I think I'm going to do a John Ford marathon this year. Concentrating on, but not limited to, the big "Ford at Fox" DVD boxset.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-20-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I've decided to do a Roku and Dish Network challenge.
Old 04-20-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I'm still thinking of doing the musicals challenge I discussed in a previous challenge with LJG765 or someone. I'll probably make it two-pronged, maybe pairing it with a TV show.
Old 04-20-15, 07:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I always have too many ideas and not enough May.
Old 04-20-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

^Exactly...

That said, I'm considering "I Spy" to focus on Spy films and TV series.
Old 04-21-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still thinking of doing the musicals challenge I discussed in a previous challenge with LJG765 or someone. I'll probably make it two-pronged, maybe pairing it with a TV show.
It was probably me. I am going to make that my challenge this year. I have several ones I haven't watched that I'd like to get to and several that I have watched I've been wanting to watch again. Mainly, I plan on trying to knock some checks off on icheckmovies.com in the music/musical lists, but I am not going to be that firm about sticking to them. My definition will also include movies I feel the music is a very integral part of the whole, like "Dirty Dancing" or "Stand By Me."
Old 04-21-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what to do. Probably do weekly mini-challenges like each year but break up the movies with an episode of Dark Shadows, like I've been doing lately with other challenges. Also thought about starting off with a random movie and then doing a cast connection to the next one.
Old 04-21-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

For some shows that last all day, like if for some reason I was in the mood for C-SPAN, as I do watch it on occasion, I'm counting every half hour as an entry.
Also, in preparation for the Roku portion of my challenge, just bought the original trilogy of Star Wars on Amazon Instant Video. I didn't have the money for the complete collection, so just bought the good movies.
Old 04-21-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LJG765
It was probably me. I am going to make that my challenge this year. I have several ones I haven't watched that I'd like to get to and several that I have watched I've been wanting to watch again. Mainly, I plan on trying to knock some checks off on icheckmovies.com in the music/musical lists, but I am not going to be that firm about sticking to them. My definition will also include movies I feel the music is a very integral part of the whole, like "Dirty Dancing" or "Stand By Me."
Nice. I have a number on my unwatched list as well, but I realized during the Oscars challenge how easy it is to turn on a familiar one in the background as I work and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I happened to watch the barn dance from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on youtube this morning, and now I'm getting autofed all these other clips from the movie and I'm letting it.

I tend to go with traditional musicals and movies about making music like Begin Again (which I've watched like four times since January so that will no doubt make my list again ).
Old 04-21-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

FIFO challenge too broad? (First In First Out, find all of those movies that have been lingering in my 'to watch' pile too long)
Old 04-21-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
FIFO challenge too broad? (First In First Out, find all of those movies that have been lingering in my 'to watch' pile too long)
Sounds fine to me. I have a few DVDs I bought years (and years) ago that I need to watch.

Are you going to include purchase dates in your list?
Old 04-21-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Sounds fine to me. I have a few DVDs I bought years (and years) ago that I need to watch.

Are you going to include purchase dates in your list?
thats the plan
Old 04-21-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

There's a good teen musical show on Nickelodeon this month, "Make It Pop," about an Asian/Asian-American female trio in a private high school in California. It's on every weeknight at 7PM and there are two original song numbers in every episode. The three stars are quite talented and very cute and charming. It's like a streamlined version of "Glee," "High School Musical," and "Cheetah Girls." I tend to like it better than its predecessors because it's more relaxed, funnier and the girls don't have to try so hard.
Old 04-21-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There's a good teen musical show on Nickelodeon this month, "Make It Pop," about an Asian/Asian-American female trio in a private high school in California. It's on every weeknight at 7PM and there are two original song numbers in every episode. The three stars are quite talented and very cute and charming. It's like a streamlined version of "Glee," "High School Musical," and "Cheetah Girls." I tend to like it better than its predecessors because it's more relaxed, funnier and the girls don't have to try so hard.
Sounds interesting. Will it still be playing in May?
Old 04-21-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Sounds interesting. Will it still be playing in May?
The series ends on May 1, but they'll probably replay episodes at odd times in May.
Old 04-21-15, 05:59 PM

I've probably mentioned my stupid save-the-best-for-last quirk multiple times over my years on this forum.

It applies to most areas of my life, and I'll do things like not re-watch my favorite films or shows because I have so much unwatched stuff to get through and I'd rather save the real gems for days I need a pick-me-up. Or I'll put off even first time viewings of things I know I'll love for the same reasons. I end up watching a lot of mediocre to slightly above average stuff, and not enough great.

But I'm silly happy all the time, and never make much progress on my unwatched/unread piles, so my favorite things sit there un-enjoyed.

Screw that! This May I'm watching my favorite things.

I know they'll be a lot of MST3K, and a bunch of recent comic book movies that I put off seeing like Guardians of the Galaxy. Beyond that I'll just watch stuff as I find it on my shelves and in boxes; I'm in the middle of some massive re-organizing.
Old 04-21-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've probably mentioned my stupid save-the-best-for-last quirk multiple times over my years on this forum.

It applies to most areas of my life, and I'll do things like not re-watch my favorite films or shows because I have so much unwatched stuff to get through and I'd rather save the real gems for days I need a pick-me-up. Or I'll put off even first time viewings of things I know I'll love for the same reasons. I end up watching a lot of mediocre to slightly above average stuff, and not enough great.

But I'm silly happy all the time, and never make much progress on my unwatched/unread piles, so my favorite things sit there un-enjoyed.

I know they'll be a lot of MST3K, and a bunch of recent comic book movies that I put off seeing like Guardians of the Galaxy. Beyond that I'll just watch stuff as I find it on my shelves and in boxes; I'm in the middle of some massive re-organizing.

Honestly, dude, sometimes I worry that you're going to be on your deathbed 40 years from now and STILL holding off on the best stuff for last.
Old 04-21-15, 06:33 PM

Honestly, dude, sometimes I worry that you're going to be on your deathbed 40 years from now and STILL holding off on the best stuff for last.
This May starts the new me! I'm convincing myself that I don't need to watch everything I bought. Find a good home for the riffraff and move on to the good stuff!
Old 04-21-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This May starts the new me! I'm convincing myself that I don't need to watch everything I bought. Find a good home for the riffraff and move on to the good stuff!
How do you know what's "riffraff" without watching it? You might find more "favorite things." You need to find some balance.
Old 04-21-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

It's times like these when I think you're the long lost brother I never had. That is exactly the way I do things and the way I feel. However I *do* make *some* progress on my unwatched/unread piles - at least in that I do occasionally pull something I've really looked forward to and just watch/read it or pull a favorite off the shelf for a viewing. But it's not often enough I do such a thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy is great fun! I don't know what I expected but it certainly wasn't what I got!

My "I Spy" theme is geared toward finally watching some stuff I've put off far too long. The main suspects: The Man from U.N.C.L.E. S2-S4, I Spy S2/S3, It Takes a Thief (whole thing), and S4 of The Wild Wild West. I've held all those back because I *know* I'll enjoy them immensely!
Old 04-21-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm another that has often saved the best for last. I've overcome that during the last year, with a determination to make significant progress on my unwatched pile. The Oscar Challenge enabled to me to watch the Godfather films for the first time, along with a few other classics.

As for my MYOC this month, I'm pretty certain I'll do a Sports Challenge. Not as creative as some of my past attempts, but I have half of an ESPN 30 for 30 set still unwatched. Lots of baseball content on DVD and a healthy number of films which feature an emphasis on sports. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 04-22-15, 08:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Last year I watched whatever was in my watchlist that has the lowest number of votes on IMDB. I figure I'll do the opposite this year and watch the ones with the most votes. Finally watch the stuff everyone has already seen - Game of Thrones, Interstellar, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Hobbit, etc. Maybe I'll finally know what everyone else is talking about.
Old 04-22-15, 09:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

well I've already thrown my idea out into the ring

"animals - plus maybe one or two nature-y themed things"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.