Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

I'm adding comic book movies and showsto my challenge, to make use of my find of Great Lantern at Wal-Mart for $5, but also had a question, so I'm asking for opinions. I know G.I. Joe was originally a comic book, so would the series and Rise of Cobra fall under that? I also found Rise of Cobra for $5, the same day.
Old 05-23-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm adding comic book movies and showsto my challenge, to make use of my find of Great Lantern at Wal-Mart for $5, but also had a question, so I'm asking for opinions. I know G.I. Joe was originally a comic book, so would the series and Rise of Cobra fall under that? I also found Rise of Cobra for $5, the same day.
I gave up trying to keep up with what your challenge(s) is/are long ago. You can watch whatever you want to watch, but maybe you could hold those (well, Great Lantern, at least) for July's challenge; I plan to watch a few more comic book movies then.

You know, you don't have to add something to your list every day - I've missed several days this month. Since it looks like I'll probably not hit my goal of 31 John Ford films watched, I'm thinking of continuing my challenge into next month, and listing the movies I watch (that count) in my History Challenge list.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-23-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-23-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I gave up trying to keep up with what your challenge(s) is/are long ago. You can watch whatever you want to watch, but maybe you could hold those (well, Great Lantern, at least) for July's challenge; I plan to watch a few more comic book movies then.

You know, you don't have to add something to your list every day - I've missed several days this month. Since it looks like I'll probably not hit my goal of 31 John Ford films watched, I'm thinking of continuing my challenge into next month, and listing the movies I watch (that count) in my History Challenge list.
Fine. I quit. I'm deleting my list.
Old 05-23-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't want to do your challenge in the first place.
Old 05-23-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I finished S4 of Mission: Impossible this morning. I had a bit of trepidation going in as it's the first season without Barbara Bain and Martin Landau with Leonard Nimoy filling the gap left by Landau and a smorgasbord of women guest stars in for Bain. I recall when this one originally aired that I didn't care for Nimoy - *he* is Spock! - but didn't really notice the rotating women.

While I have to say the overall quality is a bit down from S3 it's really with the *stories* and *not* the cast as I'd feared. Nimoy does a very good job filling in for Landau and I greatly enjoyed several of the female guest appearances. A favorite actress, Lee Meriwether, made several appearances which was a nice surprise! This season also had a few episodes that did *not* begin with Mr. Phelps listening to a recording to get the mission. Those tended to be based on a "regular" team member getting into trouble (falsely accused of something) at the first of the episode and the rest coming in to get him out of danger.

Overall it was a good season in spite of the over reliance on scripts based on a despot taking over a small country. I still have the rest of the series to watch, although I never intended to collect all the seaons of this one based on recollections of it slowly going downhill as it progressed. One of those "Well... for *that* price I'll get it anyway" for those last 3 seasons. I'm not sure if I'll throw in S5 or switch to something else. After all, I *still* have S2-4 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. set I've yet to watch. I've not seen those last 3 seasons since the original airings.
Old 05-23-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude, I hope you're joking. I didn't say that to make you mad or anything.

Well, I just clicked on the list thread and your list is gone. I'm sorry man, I seriously didn't want to offend you, or anger you, or whatever. It was meant as a lighthearted comment, nothing more.

It was probably a mistake for me to try to get you to participate in this anyway, but there weren't many people claiming list spots at that time, and I was looking for everyone I could get. I see a few people in the list thread who have not listed anything in a couple of weeks, and at least one who hasn't list anything at all, so this'll probably be the last one of these (the last one I'll do anyway).

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-23-15 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-23-15, 10:15 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

With about a week to go, I have crossed off most of my spy movies to watch list: Mission Impossibles, Bournes, and Austin Powers. Just need to finish up the Connery and Craig Bonds and I will have reached my goal.
Old 05-23-15, 12:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Shado, I think you might want to turn off the TV for a couple weeks and get outside.

Enjoy life. You're thinking too much about these Challenges.
Old 05-23-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Shado, I think you might want to turn off the TV for a couple weeks and get outside.

I'll watch ZTVZ, but I am never doing another challengwe. Ever again. I quot altogeyjer
Old 05-23-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spoke with Bast and She is going to help me through my tough time. I may even start a spiritualist challenge, with animal shows and shows to help me get in touch with my spiritual side. For those who don't know, Bast is the Egyptian Goddess and Cats, a Goddess of the night, and my deity.
Old 05-23-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once again, I'll take the blame for this. Near the end of the Drive-in Challenge, shadokitty made clear that he was taking a month off, and I talked him into joining us here (partly because I was looking for participants for this one).

I'll watch ZTVZ, but I am never doing another challengwe. Ever again. I quot altogeyjer
And again, I'm sorry for being an asshole. Since you've already committed to running the History Challenge, let me be the one to drop out. Seriously, I've been a little fed up with other parts of this site anyway, and that gives me an excuse not to subject myself to that other shit. Plus I barely participate in the challenges anyway, whereas you participate in the discussions almost daily. I won't be missed as much.

I'll finish this one through the prize giveaway, then I'll leave.
Old 05-23-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just finished watching "Jersey Boys" and really liked it. Knew I'd like the music but wasn't sure how I'd like the film, but I felt it was fairly well done. I saw that they used actors from the stage that had already been doing the musical of this and I feel that familiarity of the roles really shone through. If you like this era of music or Frankie Valli, watch it! Also a plus: Christopher Walken.
Old 05-23-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I watched my DVD of a 1985 PBS performance of The Gospel at Colonus, an African-American gospel interpretation of the middle play of the Oedipus trilogy by Sophocles.

It stars Morgan Freeman Morgan, Jevetta Steele, The Might Clouds of Joy and The 5 Blind Boys of Alabama. If you aren't moved by this, you have no soul.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOU38qRJPok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Gobear; 05-23-15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not your fault Dimension, I was just going through a rough day yesterday, and took your comment the wrong way. I didn't even now the laugh till last night. I returned to the church with a different challenge and different way of approaching it. I'll watch what I am in the mood to watch, and if it happens to count, I'll list it.
Old 05-24-15, 07:55 AM

It's not your fault Dimension, I was just going through a rough day yesterday, and took your comment the wrong way. I didn't even now the laugh till last night. I returned to the church with a different challenge and different way of approaching it. I'll watch what I am in the mood to watch, and if it happens to count, I'll list it.
DVDTalk is sort of a church, isn't it?

But great to see things resolving there, and great summation of how these Challenges should work with that final line shadokitty. Watch what you want to watch and list it if it happens to count. No one should feel pressured to watch only stuff that counts for each Challenge.

And I'm getting worried about some of you that watch more than a couple hours of TV a day. Life is too short for that! Get outside and enjoy God's creation. That and other people are much more important and fun than anything on TV/film.
Old 05-24-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDTalk is sort of a church, isn't it?

But great to see things resolving there, and great summation of how these Challenges should work with that final line shadokitty. Watch what you want to watch and list it if it happens to count. No one should feel pressured to watch only stuff that counts for each Challenge.

And I'm getting worried about some of you that watch more than a couple hours of TV a day. Life is too short for that! Get outside and enjoy God's creation. That and other people are much more important and fun than anything on TV/film.
Lol, didn't see the church. I meant challenge. Blame auto spell on my phone.
Old 05-24-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I know how that is, since I've done the same thing. I'm glad you're back. Now I'll grab a spot in the Historical Challenge list for my John Ford Challenge continuation.

Says the guy who has watched 300 or more things in two or three challenges in the past.
Old 05-24-15, 09:32 AM

Says the guy who has watched 300 or more things in two or three challenges in the past.
Yeah, but those were for scientific experiments!
Old 05-24-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I know how that is, since I've done the same thing. I'm glad you're back. Now I'll grab a spot in the Historical Challenge list for my John Ford Challenge continuation.

Cool beans. I may partially continue my Spiritually Fulfilling Challenge next month as well, as a lot of that kind of content, to me, falls under documentaries.
Old 05-24-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spent most of the day laying outside under a tree, but I don't know if it was the heat of the day, but I came in when I started to get an upset stomach. Couldn't even enjoy myself then. I was listening to Pandora.
Old 05-25-15, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking of changing my challenge. Only because I haven't been in the mood to watch anything for my current challenge. Every time I try to watch something that counts, I turn it off.
Old 05-25-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have access to a lot of Irwin Allen, and comic book programming, so decided on an Irwin Allen Comic Book Combo Challenge.
Old 05-25-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to watch a lot of anime too, so adding Asian movies and shows to my challenge, to include Power Rangers.
Old 05-25-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try the neverending challenge and let the gods select your fate.
Old 05-26-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for my annual documentary and animal shows challenge, so the rest of the week, I'm making a mini challenge out of it. I'm slowly working my way through Life on Location on Netflix right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.