Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The first movie of my FIFO challenge will be Battle Warrior (Purchased at Best Buy on Apr 17, 2011 for $4.50).
Just four years. That's not so bad. I'd have to check, but I'd bet I have a few unwatched DVDs that are over twice that old.
Old 04-29-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

270. That's the number of unwatched digital downloads I have on my computer from trades, friends, etc. In between watching the PPV fight, NBA & NHL playoffs, I plan to recover some space on my hard drives instead of buying a new one. I added the unwatched list in my spoiler.
Old 04-30-15, 06:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Just four years. That's not so bad. I'd have to check, but I'd bet I have a few unwatched DVDs that are over twice that old.
Hmmm. What year did the first DVDs come out?
Old 04-30-15, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't sure if you had to announce your challenge to play... I'm going to try a Movies I've Always Wanted to Watch, but Never Got Around To challenge. Mostly movies i wanted to watch when i was a kid, but didn't have access to.
Old 04-30-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Some great ideas this year. I always enjoy going through this thread and the list one to see the creative approach taken by many folks. At times, it nearly has me switching what I plan to do. At the very least, it gives me thoughts for future MYOC challenges.
Old 04-30-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Sounds like you need to do the FIFO challenge. I want to get to the point where I am caught up and ever other movie I watch is a revisit of something I want to see or a commentary.
Old 04-30-15, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Sounds like you need to do the FIFO challenge. I want to get to the point where I am caught up and ever other movie I watch is a revisit of something I want to see or a commentary.
I figure I'll die when I watch everything, so I purposely hide sealed DVDs in every room/wall of my house.
Old 04-30-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I got my player in 1999 and was a fairly early adopter. I know they were being sold in '98, before I pulled the trigger.
Old 04-30-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Originally Posted by davidh777
I got my player in 1999 and was a fairly early adopter. I know they were being sold in '98, before I pulled the trigger.
I thought it was in 1997. I'm pretty sure I've watched the first DVDs I bought at least once.
I like the idea, but the John Ford Challenge I'm doing is something I've wanted to do since the first MYOC, and getting that big "Ford at Fox" set made it both a better and a more pressing challenge.
Originally Posted by konekonoir
I wasn't sure if you had to announce your challenge to play... I'm going to try a Movies I've Always Wanted to Watch, but Never Got Around To challenge. Mostly movies i wanted to watch when i was a kid, but didn't have access to.
Great idea. You don't need to announce your challenge in this thread if you don't want to, but at least, please, state it at the top of your list in the list thread.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-30-15 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright, I am going for my 2nd annual Rockin Marathon (concerts and music video).
Old 04-30-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While browsing Sling TV, I came across The First 48, on A&E. I'd never seen the show before, but it's actually a pretty good show. I don't normally watch A&E, but I think I might give the channel a chance.
Old 05-01-15, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I think I'm going to tackle my Amazon Watch List for the beginning of the challenge. There isn't that much there so I'll probably queue up the movies in my collection that I haven't watched since 2013.
Old 05-01-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I enjoy about MeTV is the fact you get a lot of old, black and white shows on there. Case in point is that I just finished a good episode of The Donna Reed Show, in which Donna was subbing for a nurse at her husband's practice.
Old 05-01-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ross_r
alright, I am going for my 2nd annual Rockin Marathon (concerts and music video).
Sounds like a lot of fun! I have a recommendation that is connected to your theme. Last night, I watched Air Guitar Nation with my movie group, and we had a blast. It's a documentary about the people participating in air guitar contests and ultimately the national championship. There is so much joy and fervor on display that I was immediately taken!
Old 05-01-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by shadokitty
One thing I enjoy about MeTV is the fact you get a lot of old, black and white shows on there. Case in point is that I just finished a good episode of The Donna Reed Show, in which Donna was subbing for a nurse at her husband's practice.
AntennaTV is slightly better imo, if you get that too.
Old 05-01-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Don't think we get that channel.
Old 05-01-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Sounds like a lot of fun! I have a recommendation that is connected to your theme. Last night, I watched Air Guitar Nation with my movie group, and we had a blast. It's a documentary about the people participating in air guitar contests and ultimately the national championship. There is so much joy and fervor on display that I was immediately taken!
I remember a lot of buzz about that a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure I own a copy. I'll have to dig it up someday.
Old 05-01-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I was thinking about watching crime and film noir, but since I'm having a bit of a rough patch at the moment, I'm going to go with escapism through musicals. It also gives me a pretext to crack open my Astaire and Rogers and Busby Berkeley box sets.
Old 05-01-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

i love MeTV and Antenna, and Cozi also has some terrific old shows that were really MOTWs, like The Bold Ones and The Name of the Game.
Old 05-01-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gobear
I was thinking about watching crime and film noir, but since I'm having a bit of a rough patch at the moment, I'm going to go with escapism through musicals. It also gives me a pretext to crack open my Astaire and Rogers and Busby Berkeley box sets.
Nothing says escapism like a Depression-era musical! Hope they help you feel better.

I watched a couple Busby Berkeleys for the Oscar challenge, and always enjoy revisiting Fred and Ginger so I'll probably plug some in for my musicals theme.
Old 05-01-15, 12:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i love MeTV and Antenna, and Cozi also has some terrific old shows that were really MOTWs, like The Bold Ones and The Name of the Game.
I also like all three but right now I favor Cozi TV because of the cop/detective/adventure type shows they run not to mention the kid friendly westerns they show Saturday and Sunday mornings. A while back they aired the available pre-Mrs. Peel Avengers shows which I hadn't seen (I recorded them so I still haven't seen most of them!). Of course MeTV has a cool Saturday night. I'm a big Svengoolie fan.
Old 05-01-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get Cozi here but we get Grit http://www.grittv.com/tv-schedule/ which is an action channel. Mostly movies and mostly westerns.
Old 05-01-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Family Entertainment TV, and Angel 2 also have old, good shows like Lassie, Lone Ranger, and Roy Rogers.
Old 05-01-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Family Entertainment TV, and Angel 2 also have old, good shows like Lassie, Lone Ranger, and Roy Rogers.
Back when I was a kid, I nicknamed that channel "The Jesus Channel". They showed a lot of televangelists and shows like Big Brother Jake. Maniac Mansion was on it too but all the religious stuff the channel showed pretty much kept me away from watching anything on it. They had some western shows too, which made me not want to watch westerns until decades later.

Plus there was this weird family across the street that always watched it and their house smelled like old people.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 05-01-15 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back when I was a kid, I nicknamed that channel "The Jesus Channel". They showed a lot of televangelists and shows like Big Brother Jake. Maniac Mansion was on it too but all the religious stuff the channel showed pretty much kept me away from watching anything on it. They had some western shows too, which made me not want to watch westerns until decades later.

Plus there was this weird family across the street that always watched it and their house smelled like old people.
I avoid it during the religious programming blocks myself. As a third type, it is also an outdoor sports channel. I don't think it knows what kind of channel it is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.