Reload this Page >

No More Simpsons on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No More Simpsons on DVD

Old 04-28-15, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Priorities for people change as time passes.

There's no reason you shouldn't go ahead with that strategy, plus you get to make your own packaging however you want. You won't get the Simpson cases we've been getting if it goes MOD. That extra cost defeats the purpose of MOD.

I used to record shows all the time that I knew would probably never make it to DVD. I'd make a backup on disc and keep the file on my computer and stream it when I want to watch it.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah if we get MOD releases or something similar I don't expect them to be like the releases we've gotten thus far. Even if someone like Olive Films or Shout Factory would pick up the series I don't expect to get as much as Fox gave us with the releases they put out. The seasons of King of the Hill put out by Olive Films have just been the episodes on disc with no extras to speak of. Truthfully as much as I'd rather get sets packed with extras I would accept bare bones releases for The Simpsons.
Al Jean said he's hoping to do the commentaries, special features et al for the online content so, unlike KOTH, if they're making the content anyways I'm hopeful Jean and the rest of the crew could get those also included in a MOD and/or foreign releases.

As for the packaging I wouldn't expect the molded heads but even a normal release with a nice slipcover would do for me.

Since FXX or the Simpsons app isn't available in Canada I'm also hopeful the best options for us wanting to continue the set is that Fox Canada (or a Canadian distributor like eOne) will snag the Canadian rights so we can still have access to a pressed R1 release.
Old 04-30-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Actually it really is. They're over half done as Fox released eighteen seasons and we're on twenty-six right now. So a pretty good bulk of the series is out.
Again, that's awesome, but the prospects have never looked worse for those final 8+ seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I don't watch the Simpsons, but I'm a fan of having TV shows available so I hope the seasons become available other than on the app. I'm just not holding my breath for it.
Old 04-30-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Again, that's awesome, but the prospects have never looked worse for those final 8+ seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I don't watch the Simpsons, but I'm a fan of having TV shows available so I hope the seasons become available other than on the app. I'm just not holding my breath for it.
Right but I think you're missing the point a bit. Yes I realize the way people view media is changing and physical formats aren't as popular, but let's be honest if the series wasn't selling well at all Fox would have stopped them a long time ago. I don't think the prospects changed suddenly due to low sales. I'm almost positive it's more that they're wanting to push their app.
Old 05-01-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Right but I think you're missing the point a bit. Yes I realize the way people view media is changing and physical formats aren't as popular, but let's be honest if the series wasn't selling well at all Fox would have stopped them a long time ago. I don't think the prospects changed suddenly due to low sales. I'm almost positive it's more that they're wanting to push their app.
What exactly am I missing? I think it's pure speculation that Fox has kept releasing these because sales were good. For all we know, the beancounters wanted to cancel them years ago but the studio wanted to continue BECAUSE IT'S THE SIMPSONS. Sure, the app is there and the timing does seem suspicious, but that's also just speculation. We won't really know unless we get some Fox executives, financial people, and brand managers in here.
Old 05-02-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy that Fox would have continued to release the series for as long as they did if sales were poor. Like I mentioned earlier especially due to the fact that they released six seasons on Blu-Ray when they've show for other shows that they'll drop them in an instant if sales aren't to their expectations.
Old 05-02-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I suppose that there could, in theory, be other costs involved with something like The Simpsons.

If there are certain royalties that need to paid out, then if Fox saw the sales dropping, they might have decided it was becoming unprofitable.
Old 05-02-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I fully expect other countries to continue getting Simpsons' DVDs and even Blu-rays. Streaming revenue is simply not a priority in most countries, this is a move attempting to migrate long-time fans to this app.
Old 05-04-15, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I fully expect other countries to continue getting Simpsons' DVDs and even Blu-rays.
I don't.

Streaming revenue is simply not a priority in most countries, this is a move attempting to migrate long-time fans to this app.
There's plenty of streaming in the UK and Australia, the two biggest territories where one would normally buy non-US DVDs that are in English with English packaging and no chance of forced subtitles. I'd certainly expect to see the Simpsons app expand to include those countries rather than physical media continue there.

Netflix isn't yet a presence in Japan, Spain or Italy, but it's launching in all three countries this year, so one might argue there's more of a chance of physical releases continuing there for the time being, but then you're having to deal with potential for dubbing, foreign subtitles/packaging, and with DVD, PAL speedup, or with Japan, although their sets would be NTSC, they'd also be outrageously expensive.

However you look at it, though, the handwriting is still on the wall. As streaming gets more entrenched worldwide, Fox is much more likely to either expand access to the app, or launch localised versions internationally than continue with physical media. It's all about maintaining control over the content, being able to "rent" it to the consumer monthly rather than allowing them to pay once and never look back.
Old 05-05-15, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

I have several of the complete season sets, this is sad news indeed.
Old 05-05-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
There's plenty of streaming in the UK and Australia
Unless things have changed in Australia, there's some severe usage caps which would limit ones video streaming pleasure.
Old 10-16-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Just saw a message on Facebook promoting audio commentaries for Season 18 episodes on the SimpsonsWorld website- which you can't even access without a cable subscription. Fuck 'em.
Old 10-17-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nostalgialover
For seasons 18&19, Just download them from your computer. I Also did that with seasons 21-24
Considering that's highly illegal, I won't because I have no desire to spend a vacation away from my family in prison.
Old 10-17-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Plus the quality would likely suck compared to what we'd get on Blu-Ray.
Old 10-17-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

Have all the syndication rights for the Simpsons gone to FX now. Our local station that aired them I believe has stopped. This isnt right for all of us fans who dont have cable. I am missing three seasons I havent bought on bluray and still hope some thing changes.
Old 10-17-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I think it's still in regular syndication as well, but my local station dropped it a few years back in favor of The Big Bang Theory,
Old 10-18-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Have all the syndication rights for the Simpsons gone to FX now. Our local station that aired them I believe has stopped. This isnt right for all of us fans who dont have cable. I am missing three seasons I havent bought on bluray and still hope some thing changes.
"Isn't right"? You're complaining that free TV isn't giving you the programming you want? You can watch F Troop and Bewitched.
Old 10-18-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

I found out that The Simpsons is still on tv here in town, no its not right if you are a fan of the show, collect all of the dvds, and then discontinue them. Tell everyone the only way you can see the rest of the series is online through their app, and its only available if you are a cable subscriber.
Old 10-18-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm lucky to have FXX (only because I work for a cable company and get my service for free) but aside from being on there the amount of time I see The Simpsons on TV is extremely limited. There's two episodes on after SNL each week and that's all.
Old 10-18-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I don't have cable, but my parents do, so I'm able to us the FX Now app.
Old 10-18-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
"Isn't right"? You're complaining that free TV isn't giving you the programming you want?
In what world do you win this argument or change their mind? I know it's not this one.
Old 10-18-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Considering that's highly illegal, I won't because I have no desire to spend a vacation away from my family in prison.
I don't know. If my family was in prison, I would welcome a vacation away from them.
Old 10-21-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I was honestly expecting FXX to play Simpsons more often they what they've been airing. My local channels have all dropped the Simpsons from syndication. I guess Fox is serious about pushing people to their Simpsons' website.
Old 10-21-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was honestly expecting FXX to play Simpsons more often they what they've been airing. My local channels have all dropped the Simpsons from syndication. I guess Fox is serious about pushing people to their Simpsons' website.
Hoping FOX has a change of heart and AT THE VERY LEAST releases Seasons 18 & 19 and then they can farm out the remaining seasons over to either SHOUT or Olive Films or even VEI.
Old 10-21-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rmw650
Hoping FOX has a change of heart and AT THE VERY LEAST releases Seasons 18 & 19 and then they can farm out the remaining seasons over to either SHOUT or Olive Films or even VEI.
I think FOX will be stubborn about this and we may wait a long while or never for a home video release.
Old 10-21-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They never ruled out releasing the rest once the show is killed off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.