DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

I know it's bing but they have a nifty search thing for movies, including a cult genre section

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cult+movies
Old 04-18-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Thanks. (From those various lists) Some that I haven't seen yet:

Zaat
Hands on a Hard Body
Sharktopus
Gone With The Pope
Urgh! A Music War (Been wanting to see this)
Tales from the Gimli hosptial
Old 04-18-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I know it's bing but they have a nifty search thing for movies, including a cult genre section

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cult+movies
I almost got excited until I discovered it's a very short visual list they serve up. I found that changing the drop-down genre also changes the search and removes "cult" from the equation. It has to be explicitly re added to the search terms to get correct results making the drop down surperflous (you also have to enable JAVA before it even works which slows the results appearing - I run NoScript and let few sites JAVA crap run). Google does essentially the same thing (if you enable JAVA for them too - I don't - and they were faster even with JAVA on) but calls their visual list "Movies frequently mentioned on the web." Their scrolling list looks very similar to Bing's but doesn't have the drop down modifier (which doesn't really work correctly). IMHO both search engine visual results just get in the way and are incomplete. The wikipedia page in the both engines results has better lists. BUT IMDB's advanced search is better than all of those.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-18-15 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Last night I started to watch Prom Night from 1980 on Encore Suspense, but it wasn't in the cards, with half an hour left, I felt myself falling asleep, so went to bed. I did get an early start this morning though with a rather surreal Jason Statham movie on the same channel called Revolver. It was surreal, but still good. It made you think.
Old 04-18-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to focus a lot on the challenge today. May not be all challenge content today, but the majority probably will be.
Old 04-18-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched a "good" movie last night to get back into the mood. It was The Three Stooges Swing Parade (1946). It's really more of a Gail Storm vehicle as she sings frequently and The Stooges are more supporting, although major supporting, characters. There are also several performances by Louis Jordan the Tympany Five.

I have the Legend version which contains a colorized (blech) version as well as a commentary track by Mike Nelson (MST3K). Yes, I watched the BW copy but started with the Nelson audio track just to see what he'd have to "say." I gotta stop bothering with those, too, as I rarely find him funny. Frequenly in this one his comments sounded like he had absolutely *no* idea about past "pop culture" and what was considered entertaining in those years. The few times I laughed was *not* because his comment was funny but that it was so uninformed as to be laughable! The "commentary" is one of those "I'm cool and modern so anything old is laugh worthy" type tracks. After about a half hour I shut him off and just went with the regular audio track. It was a far more entertaining film that way (and contains several classic songs of the era).

This morning I started with Battle of the Worlds (1961). It was a quite entertaining SF "B" film starring Claude Rains. I'd really like to see a good print of this one. I've read (at DVD Drive-in) that Sinister Cinema's DVD-R appears sourced from a 16mm master and looks quite good. I have a general aversion to DVD-R product but might consider a purchase if the print is better than the Alpha copy I have. But a Amazon "review" says it's washed out and not so good...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-18-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
You guys! There's so much good stuff to watch that fits this challenge. Your own collections contain this good stuff. Or you can find it on YouTube! Or a million other places. You don't have to watch utter bilge like the stuff you're describing. It shouldn't have to be a chore.

Of course, you can simply say you're exploring new territory to protect the rest of us from having to do so. I'll take that
If you're just watching "good stuff" you're doing it wrong. And, of course, tastes differ; I enjoyed some of the films that have been panned in this thread, and I would be (and have been) bored silly by some of the films others have posted raves about.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^Thanks. (From those various lists) Some that I haven't seen yet:

Zaat
Hands on a Hard Body
Sharktopus
Gone With The Pope
Urgh! A Music War (Been wanting to see this)
Tales from the Gimli hosptial
I'm surprised you haven't seen Zaat (Blood Waters of Dr. Z). It was shown on TCM Underground a few years ago. (Of course you could've recorded it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)
Old 04-18-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ This. Isn't the fun of this challenge to revel in trash? This morning I watched a kung fu movie that was bad, but enjoyable, Ninja Champion. Not much Kung-Fu, but the last fight at the end between two Ninjas had them showing use of powers.
Old 04-18-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Today I started off with a favorite, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Sure, the screenplay is hokey, but I'm a fan of the Bee Gees and the Beatles, and I saw this at the theater when it came out, so it has a warm place in my heart. How can you hate a movie with Peter Frampton, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Steve Martin, and Earth, Wind & Fire?

I followed up with Trog. Poor Joan. I hope her Oscar for Mildred Pierce kept her company as she knocked back her morning vodka and got out of the trailer to act opposite a man in a monkey mask. "If only Alfred were still alive," Joan must have been thinking, "I could still be the queen of Pepsi-Cola. I'll bet that bitch Bette Davis is laughing her ass off."
Old 04-18-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
If you're just watching "good stuff" you're doing it wrong. And, of course, tastes differ; I enjoyed some of the films that have been panned in this thread, and I would be (and have been) bored silly by some of the films others have posted raves about.

I'm surprised you haven't seen Zaat (Blood Waters of Dr. Z). It was shown on TCM Underground a few years ago. (Of course you could've recorded it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.)
If it will sweeten the film for you, Zaat was MST'd.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ws0lpXstpyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-18-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ws0lpXstpyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I think it's also on Roku's Shout TV Channel.
Old 04-18-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
^ This. Isn't the fun of this challenge to revel in trash? This morning I watched a kung fu movie that was bad, but enjoyable, Ninja Champion. Not much Kung-Fu, but the last fight at the end between two Ninjas had them showing use of powers.
Well, I wouldn't want to just watch trash either (but, of course, one man's trash...).
Today I started off with a favorite, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Sure, the screenplay is hokey, but I'm a fan of the Bee Gees and the Beatles, and I saw this at the theater when it came out, so it has a warm place in my heart. How can you hate a movie with Peter Frampton, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Steve Martin, and Earth, Wind & Fire?

I followed up with Trog. Poor Joan. I hope her Oscar for Mildred Pierce kept her company as she knocked back her morning vodka and got out of the trailer to act opposite a man in a monkey mask. "If only Alfred were still alive," Joan must have been thinking, "I could still be the queen of Pepsi-Cola. I'll bet that bitch Bette Davis is laughing her ass off."
I have both of those in the to-watch pile (I don't think I've ever watched Trog). Don't know if I'll get to either one though.
I've seen both versions. It's probably a safe bet that Mondo wouldn't need the MST3K version to make him watch it.
Old 04-18-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen both versions. It's probably a safe bet that Mondo wouldn't need the MST3K version to make him watch it.
Tru dat.

BTW, remember this from last year's thread?
There were 6 women in the The Class Reunion (1972). Each actress was listed in the credits along with her character's name. I recognize Marsha Jordan and Rene Bond, so they were no problem (well, Marsha Jordan is listed as "Jane" in the credits, but she calls herself "Rosie" and she receives a letter addressed to "Rosie,"and there is a character named "Rosie" in the film, but I'd expect nothing less from a film co-written by Ed Wood). Of the four remaining females, three were helpfully called by name (hopefully her character's) within the film. The only one not called by name was "Henrietta," played by Flora Weisel.
I finally got a hold of Class Reunion! I'll get to it in a few days or sooner.

I have a bad time remembering names. I had to look those two up (and I'm still not sure about Lynn Harris).
I never did respond to this (Regarding Sandy Dempsey and Lynn) I still haven't run into Dempsey yet, but I've got Sexcapade in Mexico ready to go soon (Which Lynn supposedly pops up in) Lynn looks a little bit like Rene Bond.
Old 04-18-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tru dat.

BTW, remember this from last year's thread?

I finally got a hold of Class Reunion! I'll get to it in a few days or sooner.

I never did respond to this (Regarding Sandy Dempsey and Lynn) I still haven't run into Dempsey yet, but I've got Sexcapade in Mexico ready to go soon (Which Lynn supposedly pops up in) Lynn looks a little bit like Rene Bond.
She looks familiar, but I have no idea what I've seen her in. (EDIT: Looks like I've seen her in a bunch of stuff, most recently The Erotic Adventures of Zorro. I'm pretty sure Dave Friedman had a few things to say about her on the commentary. Is that shot from Street of a Thousand Pleasures?)

I just watched a pretty good, short documentary about Stephen C. Apostolof (A.C. Stephen) called Dad Made Dirty Movies. I really haven't watched many of his movies (I have a few sitting here unwatched), and didn't know much about him, so I found it interesting.
Old 04-18-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, she's in Zorro. One of the two daughters that gets rescued early in the film.

The shot's from Love Feast (Which probably contains the most screentime Ed Wood ever got) None of the shots of her in Street/Pleasures are safe-for-work, but she's got MASSIVE eyeshadow on in that flick. You can't miss her.

I forgot all about Dad/Movies. Did that come on cable recently? Or am I thinking too much of the Joe Sarno one.
Old 04-18-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, she's in Zorro. One of the two daughters that gets rescued early in the film.

The shot's from Love Feast (Which probably contains the most screentime Ed Wood ever got) None of the shots of her in Street/Pleasures are safe-for-work, but she's got MASSIVE eyeshadow on in that flick. You can't miss her.
I haven't seen Love Feast. I have a copy, but my notes say it's an "edited version" (I didn't note what was missing), so I was probably waiting to get my hands on a more complete version to watch it.

EDIT: Okay, I have a copy of it with the other title "Pretty Models All in a Row" (I usually note alternate titles). It's been in my to-watch stack for a few years. I'll try to fit in a viewing soon.
I forgot all about Dad/Movies. Did that come on cable recently? Or am I thinking too much of the Joe Sarno one.
I don't know. All I've watched on cable recently has been Shaw Bros movies. The Joe Sarno documentary was on Hulu earlier this month.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-18-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see what would be edited out of Love Feast. It's not a hardcore film, but you can certainly tell that it was one of the first movies that embraced full-frontal nudity.

^Edit-Yup, I first saw it as "Pretty models in a row" too. But since the theme song and IMDB use "Love Feast", that's what I've always called it since then.
Old 04-18-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see what would be edited out of Love Feast. It's not a hardcore film, but you can certainly tell that it was one of the first movies that embraced full-frontal nudity.

^Edit-Yup, I first saw it as "Pretty models in a row" too. But since the theme song and IMDB use "Love Feast", that's what I've always called it since then.
From what I've heard, projectionists often clipped out the "good parts" of films for their own collections (it's my guess that's what happened to the copy of Pom Pom Girls in the "Too Cool for School" Collection that has all the female nudity removed).
Old 04-18-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't watched much kaiju lately, so after my baseball game is over, thinking of a kaiju marathon.
Old 04-18-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The bridge scene in The Deadly Duo (1971) is absolutely hilarious.
Old 04-18-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

spent most of the day reorganizing my movie collection so after not getting to watch any movies yesterday i'm hoping to squeeze a couple in tonight
Old 04-18-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I finally got around to watching Runaway Nightmare, and I can honestly say it's one of the most bizarre movies I've seen yet. My new favorite blind buy.

It's also the first case I've heard of 'unauthorized nudity' being inserted into a film only to have it later removed:

Spoiler:
Are there nude scenes in Runaway Nightmare?

The original 1982 VHS release had mismatched B & W video inserts of bare-breasted, torso-framed models spliced into the film. All this was done by a second party distributor without the knowledge of filmmaker Michael Cartel. New DVD and Blu-ray (and 35mm positive print) formats from the 1981 negative began production in mid-2013, and do not include the counter-sexy nudie grotesques. However, the inserts are included on both the DVD and Blu-ray as a separate menu selection under "Alternate Video Shots".

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The bridge scene in The Deadly Duo (1971) is absolutely hilarious.
I loved the use of stock footage to try and convince you it was more than 15 or 20 feet off the ground. They clearly missed the opportunity to call it Death Bridge.
Old 04-18-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I almost got excited until I discovered it's a very short visual list they serve up.
I know but sometimes a visual list is better than reading a list of titles, especially for those times when you don't know what to watch. Pictures seem to work better for me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJEwgFl2_Ks

I bought it on blu-ray :/

Disaster struck my household recently. I started a homebrew jar of rice wine. Everything was going fine and then last week I went out of town and came back a couple days ago. Mold had attacked and I have to start over
Seeing as there was only a little mold on top, while the liquid was on the bottom, I did pour some of it out from the side that wasn't moldy. I only took a couple sips but was really good. Seriously, that stuff was good. Starting a new batch now, then watching an episode of Dark Shadows, and following that with Maniac Cop 3.
Old 04-18-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't see it in that pic, but after watching Love Feast, I can certainly see her resemblance to Rene Bond (especially when she smiled).
There was some surprising nudity in that film.

Since it was produced and directed by the same guy, I guess it's safe to assume that was the same tacky house used in Mrs. Stone's Thing (1970).
Old 04-18-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Homemade rice wine sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a go. Last year I made my own vanilla extract with vanilla beans and vodka. This year when the tart cherries are in season we're making Maraschino cherries with Luxardo liqueur.

Didn't get any movies in today. Spent the day setting up tarantula enclosures for my babies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.