DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

4th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 4th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've spent the challenge break having conversations with family members. They're nice people.
How can you gasp- talk?
Old 02-28-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
How can you gasp- talk?
It was a little awkward at first. After we get through the introductions, things begin to flow pretty well.
Old 02-28-15, 01:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Those who are so inclined may want to include the serial Zombies of the Stratosphere (1952) in which Nimoy debuts as a actor.
Nice. Is it streaming somewhere?
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've spent the challenge break having conversations with family members. They're nice people.
Family members? Is that what those other people living in my house are called?
Old 02-28-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm thinking of watching Christmas Evil for the start of the challenge. It fulfills the "something that takes place with a major holiday theme" category on the checklist. I'll probably try to watch a Mill Creek double pack of The Replacement Killers and Truth or Consequences NM tomorrow.
Old 02-28-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Watched the Veronica Mars pilot last night even though it didn't count because it was too early.

Last edited by davidh777; 02-28-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 03:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this month's challenge is pretty much going to go by the wayside for me - way too busy with basketball (Big East, the NCAA tournament) , family in town, etc.,

Old 02-28-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm starting off with the two biggest Martial Arts movies of all time: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Enter the Dragon.
Old 02-28-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that need some movie suggestions on what to watch for this challenge. I may not agree with the position of the films included on the list but I believe that they are all worth to be on it.

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/best-action-movies
Old 02-28-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to start with some peplum. That being, I dug out my MC Warriors 50 movie pack and just finished Goliath and the Dragon. Special effects may be cheesy, but if you want action, peplum is always a good choice.
Old 02-28-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I started with James Bond. I'm going to try and completely watch my 50th Anniversary Blu-ray set since I've had it for two years and have never watched any but Dr. No since the purchase.
Old 02-28-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
What more can be said that haven't said before... The fighting scenes are not very long or elaborate but this movie shines on the training and challenges sequences. I have yet to see another Kung-Fu movie that outclasses 36th Chamber in regards to the above.
The role of a lifetime for Gordon Liu and he takes full advantage of it. Phenomenal!

Edit - I watched the Dragon Dynasty Blu-ray of the film and do yourself a favour, don't buy it! I have also DD DVD version of the film and I actually think that the DVD looks better since the Blu-ray has a hazy, out of focus quality. I'm thinking of purchasing the Hong Kong recent release of the 3 films that came out recently on Blu-ray.

Last edited by LorenzoL; 02-28-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

So I started the Challenge with Orphan Black one of my students suggested I watch the show and it's okay. I'm four episodes in and I'm not really feeling it yet. I'll watch the full season but can anyone tell me if the series gets better?
Old 02-28-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished another peplum, a Reg Park Maciste film called Maciste in King Solomon's Mines.
Old 02-28-15, 08:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Watched the Veronica Mars pilot last night even though it didn't count because it was too early.
I love the whole Veronica Mars series. Seeing this post reminded me that I need to watch it all over again.
Old 02-28-15, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris
So I started the Challenge with Orphan Black one of my students suggested I watch the show and it's okay. I'm four episodes in and I'm not really feeling it yet. I'll watch the full season but can anyone tell me if the series gets better?
I loved the entire series but I suggested it to one of my friends and he thought it was slow. I will say that it gets better the more episodes that you watch. I watched Season 1 and 2 and I'm anxiously awaiting Season 3.
Old 02-28-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by lrend
I love the whole Veronica Mars series. Seeing this post reminded me that I need to watch it all over again.
I've only seen a few episodes. My hope is to get the kids interested because they like Kristen Bell and the crime/mystery genre.
Old 02-28-15, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I've only seen a few episodes. My hope is to get the kids interested because they like Kristen Bell and the crime/mystery genre.
I'm sure they will like it. It gets more interesting the more episodes you watch. I will say that I liked the first two seasons better than the third but it was still good.
Old 02-28-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Those who are so inclined may want to include the serial Zombies of the Stratosphere (1952) in which Nimoy made his film debut.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Nice. Is it streaming somewhere?
It's in my collection so I didn't even think to check...

so... looks like Amazon has it for rental or purchase and a quick Google shows the chapters to be available on youtube.
Old 02-28-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lisadoris
A coworker talked me into watching S1 some time back. I found it "OK" but *just* OK and didn't bother going on to S2 but it's been too long for me to be able to outline just what didn't work for me. At this point all I really recall is that I just didn't find it compelling enough to continue viewing beyond season 1.
Old 02-28-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My grandson came over to spend the night so I took a break from ST:TOS to watch Godzilla 2014) as I'd purchased it because *he* wanted to see it as well as did I. Well... It was "just OK" too. While I really enjoyed the creature designs, battles, and overall plot the *highly* disposable sub-plot with "the kid (our "hero") who lost his mother and grew up to help battle the monsters but found *his* wife and kid endangered by the creatures" pretty much a buzz-kill. Totally wasted film time there folks which pretty much brought the film to a dead stop almost every time either the wife or kid was shown. Editing out that sub-plot would have shortened the film by the ~30 minutes which was badly needed to provide "tightening" of the story. Even with such tightening there are several rather large plot issues. It *is* a better film than the 1998 version but the king is *still* the 1954 Japanese original.
Old 03-01-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished one of the comic book documentaries I bought on Amazon Video, Necessary Evil: The Super-Villains of DC Comics. It was interesting to see the villains get their just due, especially how it was explained, that the villains themselves are the ones who mold the heroes into who they are.
Old 03-01-15, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I started off with The Book of Life. I enjoyed it. I see the reviews were fairly disparaging about it, but I didn't think it was that bad. I enjoyed the art work/design of it quite a lot and while there were predictable parts and a lot of pop culture references, I think it's a very watchable film. The music/songs in it were listenable as well, though I don't think any of them are that memorable. I think that the movie did have a hard time deciding if it was going to be a musical or a movie with music in it...
Old 03-01-15, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I started off the challenge with God Told Me To. It has a strong first half but I found the second half less so. I guess one of it's problems is that the material just changes course from a straight forward police procedural to a film that deals with the supernatural. I think it's watchable but I'm not sure how much replay value it has.
Old 03-01-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an early start this morning, since I woke up early, and thought, why not work on the challenge. I found a soccer game on bein Sports, so tuned into that.
Old 03-01-15, 09:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I started off with a couple movies on the Cult of Muscle (a great action movie podcast I listen to) tubesynch channel last night. First off was Mankillers which is an all-women low budget Dirty Dozen sort of film that was a lot of fun. Then we watched Iron Angels which I fear may send me down the rabbit hole of Hong Kong girls with guns movies since I loved it.

After that and continuing into today, I am catching up on season 4 of Game of Thrones on HBOGo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.