DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

4th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: 4th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I've realized that I have to be really alert to watch Tarentino films. The last two times I've watched his films while I've felt a little tired, I've generally hated the experience.

Another part I liked from Vol II was the black and white intro and the music. It seemed very film noir like. I'm debating whether or not to watch Jackie Brown. It's more of a crime film which is right up my alley.

Anyway watched The Last Kiss Goodnight yesterday and enjoyed that one a lot. It has some great comedic bits (mostly from Samuel L. Jackson) and some nice action sequences. Brian Cox has a small role in this and I realized it's very similar to his role in Red. This one comes highly recommended.
Ummm, that's The LONG Kiss Goodnight and, yes indeed, it's a great one.
Old 03-19-15, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I watched the two-hour season finale of "Empire" on Fox tonight. I'd say it's got enough crime to fit this challenge. One attempted murder, a brutal fight, one killing, one arrest for murder, a catfight, and an aspiring white hiphopper who murders rap music with his lame rhymes.
I have been trying to figure out a way to argue that Empire should count for this challenge. You totally nailed it (especially the rapper murdering music with his crappy rhymes). Great finale too.
Old 03-19-15, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm spending a few days with my parents so I won't be able to continue until Friday.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have all these films on either VHS or DVD, sometimes in multiple editions. I'm wondering what the source of Hulu's version of 7 GRANDMASTERS is. Tokyo Shock put out a great-looking DVD of it some eleven years ago, in both English-dubbed and Mandarin-language versions. That's the one I rave-reviewed on Amazon (and you might be quoting from that review). I'm hoping Hulu had that version and not the full-frame English dubbed VHS bootleg that had been circulating for years before that. I have the HK import DVD of THE PRODIGAL SON and remember liking that version a lot. It was one of the very first DVDs I bought after first buying a DVD player in January 2001.
The synopsis that I quoted was from Wikipedia for the 7 Grandmasters. I could not make that stuff up. The Hulu version might have been the full frame bootleg version since the PQ quality is horrible and probably lessened my enjoyment of the film.

I'll be watching Iron Fisted Monk and Two Warriors later in the challenge to continue with Sammo Hung movies.
Old 03-19-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I have been trying to figure out a way to argue that Empire should count for this challenge. You totally nailed it (especially the rapper murdering music with his crappy rhymes). Great finale too.
Yeah, I enjoyed the finale a great deal, too. I'd only watched one episode beforehand (the 4th) and enjoyed that one as well. Hopefully, I'll have it together to watch it regularly in the fall. The appeal to me is that the series reminds me of those grand Warner Bros. melodramas of yesteryear, with Taraji Henson doing the kind of role Joan Crawford used to play in such films as MILDRED PIERCE, FLAMINGO ROAD, THE DAMNED DON'T CRY and THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, but with a thoroughly plausible contemporary spin.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The synopsis that I quoted was from Wikipedia for the 7 Grandmasters. I could not make that stuff up. The Hulu version might have been the full frame bootleg version since the PQ quality is horrible and probably lessened my enjoyment of the film.

I'll be watching Iron Fisted Monk and Two Warriors later in the challenge to continue with Sammo Hung movies.
Seeing 7 GRANDMASTERS in the widescreen, Chinese-language DVD was like seeing it for the first time. And it's a film I've watched a lot. Hopefully you'll get to experience it that way someday. (I first got it on Arena's gray-market VHS, then the same company's DVD, which was just the VHS transferred to DVD, and finally on Tokyo Shock's DVD.)

As for Sammo Hung, you can't go wrong no matter what the title. Even lesser Sammo Hung (like IRON FISTED MONK) is worth seeing. I remember liking WARRIORS TWO a lot but I don't remember what the plot was or who else was in it with him. Don't forget ENTER THE FAT DRAGON, THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER and the DIRTY-DOZEN-style EASTERN CONDORS. And PROJECT A, the best of the Jackie-Sammo-Yuen Biao series.
Old 03-19-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
As much as I love James Bond, I will be so glad to complete this box set by the end of the week and move on to wherever my whim takes me. I'm a little burned out on him.
Originally Posted by LJG765
Two years ago I made that my challenge and I agree, by the end, I just wanted to move on to something else!
I, too, really enjoy the Bond films but have to take them in small doses (even my favorite Connery ones). For me they start to run together when marathon viewed. I still have several in the unwatched pile, for sure the 2 newest outings.
Old 03-19-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was in the mood for martial arts, after all this talk about kung fu movies. So, I finally settled on some MMA, and watched a UFC Fight Night from 2010 on UFC Fight Pass.
Old 03-19-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

As much as I love James Bond, I will be so glad to complete this box set by the end of the week and move on to wherever my whim takes me. I'm a little burned out on him.
Originally Posted by LJG765
Two years ago I made that my challenge and I agree, by the end, I just wanted to move on to something else!
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I, too, really enjoy the Bond films but have to take them in small doses (even my favorite Connery ones). For me they start to run together when marathon viewed. I still have several in the unwatched pile, for sure the 2 newest outings.
When I watched all the Bond films during the second Make-Your-Own Challenge, I mixed in all the Inspector Clouseau films to keep from getting burned out on one thing.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-19-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm laying down, getting ready for a nap, but I'm stuck as to what to watch next. Every time I turn something on, I turn it back off. Been doing that most of the day.
Old 03-19-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the process of deciding to watch my G.I. Joe DVDs, I reached 100, with Pt 2 of the MASS Device, the very first G.I. Joe mini series. I located all my DVDs but my Season 1.2 set. Being a child of the 80s, I grew up watching that cartoon every day after school, or before school, as times switched around periodically.
Old 03-19-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished watching the MASS Device miniseries of GI Joe, and seeing Cobra Commander reminded me of why I always liked Chris Latta. I remember hearing his fellow cast members talk about him at a Transformers convention. He struggled with depression, just like I do, so I feel a kinship with him. He died far too young.
Old 03-19-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
When I watched all the Bond films during the second Make-Your-Own Challenge, I mixed in all the Inspector Clouseau films to keep from getting burned out on one thing.
Yeah, I had to throw some other stuff in there in between films, but it took a lot longer than I thought. As of right now, I'm on Skyfall, so I won't have any more problems getting through anything after today.
Old 03-19-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Yeah, I had to throw some other stuff in there in between films, but it took a lot longer than I thought. As of right now, I'm on Skyfall, so I won't have any more problems getting through anything after today.
Wait, you watched all of the Bond films (aside from Skyfall)? I salute you because there are some real stinkers in there. I tried doing that a few years ago but I gave up since after a few mediocre films (usually the Roger Moore ones) I had to take a break.
Old 03-20-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started early today by watching Part 2 of GI Joe: The Revenge of Cobra. I'm really enjoying making my way through one of my favorite childhood cartoons. It's really bringing me back to my childhood. Plus, at least to me, it still holds up, even today.
Old 03-20-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

Wait, you watched all of the Bond films (aside from Skyfall)? I salute you because there are some real stinkers in there. I tried doing that a few years ago but I gave up since after a few mediocre films (usually the Roger Moore ones) I had to take a break.
Even the worst bond films (looking at you, Octopussy) are still entertaining.

Life has been getting in the way of ths challenge, but I'm going to hit my goal of 30. Today i'm not working, so it's B-movie detective films. I'm currently watching The Scarlet Clue on Netflix, one of the later Monogram Charlie Chan films with Sidney Toler. Toler is not nearly as good as Warner oland was in the Fox films.
Old 03-20-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

I'll probably do the James Bond challenge next year as I have all of the movies on Blu-ray. One of the channels here in Canada is having a James Bond marathon including Never Say Never.
Old 03-20-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S2 of The Rockford Files last night. Trying to decide what to watch this weekend. S4 of ST:TNG arrived yesterday and I'm leaning in that direction but I still have those martial arts films I "found" last week...
Old 03-20-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
Life has been getting in the way of this challenge, but I'm going to hit my goal of 30. Today I'm not working, so it's B-movie detective films. I'm currently watching The Scarlet Clue on Netflix, one of the later Monogram Charlie Chan films with Sidney Toler. Toler is not nearly as good as Warner Oland was in the Fox films.
Outside of the Chan films, Toler was an excellent character actor. In one of the films I watched for this challenge, GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT (1938), he plays a gold mine magnate in the 1870s whose actions provoke a shooting war between the industrial gold miners and the farmers whose wheat fields have been ruined by flooding in the Sacramento Valley caused by the hydraulic gold mining. (Claude Rains leads the farmers.) Toler's character (probably based on someone real) pals around with former president Ulysses S. Grant and Senator George Hearst. In one party scene, Hearst shakes his head at the idea of his wayward son, "Willie," wanting to buy the money-losing San Francisco Examiner. This looks forward to CITIZEN KANE, made three years later, and the line, "I think it would be fun to run a newspaper."
Old 03-20-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found that watching one a night worked well...but yeah, the later Roger Moore ones weren't that great (except For Your Eyes Only, which I loved). I watched Skyfall last night and am working my way through the Lethal Weapon flicks now. Riggs and Murtaugh are much easier to sit through...
Old 03-21-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel like an action/adventure day today, so will probably hit the challenge hard today. Does anyone else ever have a day when all they want to watch is challenge content?
Old 03-21-15, 08:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Does anyone else ever have a day when all they want to watch is challenge content?
365 of them a year. 366 next year!
Old 03-21-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Once Upon a Time in China yesterday afternoon with my grandson. It's a "R" rated film (says for violence) but I don't see how - there's violence but nothing *that* bad. I"m thinking PG-13 would be more like it. Anyway, we both enjoyed the film and at the end when he asked what it was about I told him:
Spoiler:
It was about getting Wong Fei Hung to wear a suit.

And then told him it was about Wong Fei Hung attempting to keep Western influences out of China and the battle between him and Chinese factions who thought it was a good thing.

I thought the PQ was quite acceptable. IMHO the issues I saw all seemed to be within the source print with little that could have been corrected without *serious* "remastering." Something that's hard enough to get done on classic US films, much less imports. Maybe there's a better print out there and Columbia/Sony was just lazy but I chalk it up to what's done regularly with many distributors. They use what they've been given by the originating studio to the best of their ability. It sucks for fans but at least there's a watchable copy.

He's coming over today so we may watch the 2nd film in the series. I'm also thinking he also *needs* to see Any Which Way You Can.
Old 03-21-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Does anyone else ever have a day when all they want to watch is challenge content?
Usually the entire month of October. I can binge horror content like nobody's business. I've never done the challenge on this forum, but I have elsewhere and I usually live like a hermit during that entire month.

Now that Bond is out of the way, I feel more freedom to watch varying things, though. I'm probably going to try to waste this entire weekend watching nothing but stuff for this challenge.
Old 03-21-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I finally saw something from Hong Kong for this challenge. I was looking in the closet for a random kung fu film when I found a box full of Hong Kong crime thrillers on VHS, mostly from the '80s and early '90s, including several films I'd never watched at all. So I dug those out and watched one of them, RICH AND FAMOUS (1987), starring Chow Yun-Fat as a pretty noble-hearted triad leader who gives jobs to two young men (Andy Lau and Alex Man) from his native Chinese village. It's no John Woo film, but it's not bad and Chow is quite good in a less showy role than he normally had and more of a supporting role in an ensemble cast. There are sharp bursts of violence, but they're messy and brutal, not cleanly-choreographed or stylized, like you'd get in a Woo film. This one's more like a Japanese Yakuza film.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-22-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've narrowed down what I want to focus on today. I think today will be a combination of 80s action shows, and military. So far among those I've watched an episode of Voltron: Defender of the Universe on Prime, as well as an episode of Dogfights about the Hellcat, on DVD. I've also watched the bonus interview on G.I. Joe Season 1.1 Disc 2. Ron Friedman said he envisioned Shipwreck as kind of a Jack Nicholson character. That's why his voice was the way it was.
Old 03-21-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My grandson is here and I was watching S8 of Monk when he arrived. He *loves* that show so it looks like it'll be Monk for a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.