Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 9th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 24 - February 22)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 24 - February 22)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 24 - February 22)

Regarding my icheckmovies stats, Foreign Nominees is the one I need to work on most.

But I swear, if I see another foreign movie where a kid kills a small animal out of "Coming-of-Age" issues, it's going to be strictly Hollywood movies for me.
Old 01-19-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everythings fine. That last rule - You can watch current nominees starting on Thursday, January 15 and have them count. Is newly added compared to the past challenges. It might only be me, but bad rule addition.
Old 01-19-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Everythings fine. That last rule - You can watch current nominees starting on Thursday, January 15 and have them count. Is newly added compared to the past challenges. It might only be me, but bad rule addition.
It helped me, darkhawk. Usually once the challenge starts I usually go back to the movies I want to watch every year (The King's Speech for example) and I never really head out to the movies or catch up on the nominees on DVD unless provoked (usually by my wife). This gives us a week to do that.
Old 01-19-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine. New OP. His rules. But not everyone can go, has time to go or afford to go to the theater during that time. So then it's not really fair to people who can't get out to the theater.

Last edited by darkhawk; 01-19-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

But not everyone can go, has time to go or afford to go to the theater during that time. So then it's not really fair to people who can't get out to the theater.
That's certainly true for me. I just called upon some free options: I rented Maleficent from my local library this afternoon (X-Men & Dawn of the Planet of the Apes were already checked out) and streamed Crisis Hotline and Feast yesterday for free (links are further up in the thread). I already owned Captain America so I used this as an opportunity to finally listen to the commentary track. There are some free and creative ways to watch some of this year's nominees. Anyone who has a numbered list will be eligible for the prize whether you hit 100 titles or not so starting early doesn't hold an advantage in that regard.
Old 01-19-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I have some free options, I haven't started. To me part of the fun of the challenge is revisiting old favorites.
Old 01-19-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

It's fine. New OP. His rules. But not everyone can go, has time to go or afford to go to the theater during that time. So then it's not really fair to people who can't get out to the theater.
It was proposed by me, when I intended to host, based on a request by another participant. It was discussed and debated and met with minimal dissent, passing by democratic consent. As far as fairness goes, I don't see a legitimate complaint. The point of the pre-challenge is to allow those Oscar enthusiasts - ostensibly, all participants of an Oscar challenge - who are eager to delve into current nominees to do so without having to wait for the arbitrary 30-day window of the challenge to begin.

Without checking, I don't think there are many key current nominees that will be released on disc/streaming during the challenge that aren't already available, meaning that access to this year's nominees is about as widespread now as it will be. Ergo, the only advantage is to accommodate those who will be making an effort to see nominees at a theater - which, as you noted, is not necessarily easy for everyone. Giving them more time to try to do that hardly seems "unfair".

In any event, I move that any further debate about this pre-challenge extension be tabled until the conclusion of the challenge. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have little interest in a discussion thread dominated by that chatter instead of one about Oscar-nominated films and shorts.
Old 01-19-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm been pretty busy over the extended weekend. I always have to scramble after nominations are announced, and the realization dawns that I've seen no films! A few days ago, I was able to see Interstellar the way it was meant to be seen - in a discount theater with thin walls, a small screen, and a small contingency of people looking to kill a few hours. While I'm not a big fan of Nolan's films, I enjoyed this one; I'm a sucker for overblown science fiction, and it strikes me that Nolan works really well when spins tales of speculation.

Next, I watched Finding Vivian Maier. Thoughts: Maier's work is amazing; Maier is terrifying; filmmaker and Maier's self-ordained messiah is a bit douchey.

Today, I went over to a friend's house, and we watched Ida and Gone Girl. Both are wonderful (in very different ways), and I'm still reflecting on them, trying to organize my thoughts.
Old 01-20-15, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I watched Mr. Turner early this morning. Its nominations are well deserved, particularly Dick Pope's cinematography. The film is visually stunning. As much as people whined about Selma's lack of nominations, Mike Leigh should have been nominated for Best Director and Timothy Spall for Best Actor, and Mr. Turner should be up for Best Picture. Spall plays J.M.W. Turner, as one critic put it, "like a shaved ape with a paintbrush," a brutish, hulking man with an eye for light and movement like no other who created proto-Impressionist masterpieces.
Old 01-20-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented Guardians of the Galaxy off the Playstation Store, but haven't watched it yet. I also plan to watch Virunga and may give Crisis one more try. I really can't wait for February though, when all movies on TCM are eligible.
Old 01-20-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I was too excited to wait until the official start and began my pre-challenge, current-nominee-extravaganza (excellent idea!) with John Carney's Begin Again (rented from Redbox). I'm a fan of Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley and I'm quite fond of Carney's Once, so I expected to enjoy the film. I didn't expect to be as blown away as I was by its effortless charm and genial shabbiness. I could have easily spent more time watching this group of quirky people dash about New York, record music, and celebrate their craft. There is an infectious joy and a genuine love that made me want to dash to my local record shop. I also feel compelled to dust off my piano and annoy my neighbors with my rusty playing.
I'm a little disappointed that I watched this movie a week and a half before it counted. I really enjoyed it as well, and have been listening to the songs pretty steadily. I do like Once (both on film and on stage) so I knew I wanted to see this, but wasn't sure what to expect since the original film WAS those characters. These characters were fictional, but really enjoyable, and I think it was a little easier to take since it wasn't so raw and passionate. Not that those are bad things, of course.

I think I might try to slip in another watch before the end of the challenge.

Originally Posted by Mao
Okay, here are the prizes (from my personal collection - some new/sealed!):

DVD Best Picture Winner/Nominee Prize Pack:

ALL THE KING'S MEN
CHOCOLAT
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
MY LEFT FOOT
ON GOLDEN POND
TOOTSIE

The winner will receive these shipped from me once the pre- and main challenge (1/15 - 2/22) is finished and verified.
Thanks, Mao!

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
It was proposed by me, when I intended to host, based on a request by another participant. It was discussed and debated and met with minimal dissent, passing by democratic consent. As far as fairness goes, I don't see a legitimate complaint. The point of the pre-challenge is to allow those Oscar enthusiasts - ostensibly, all participants of an Oscar challenge - who are eager to delve into current nominees to do so without having to wait for the arbitrary 30-day window of the challenge to begin.

Without checking, I don't think there are many key current nominees that will be released on disc/streaming during the challenge that aren't already available, meaning that access to this year's nominees is about as widespread now as it will be. Ergo, the only advantage is to accommodate those who will be making an effort to see nominees at a theater - which, as you noted, is not necessarily easy for everyone. Giving them more time to try to do that hardly seems "unfair".

In any event, I move that any further debate about this pre-challenge extension be tabled until the conclusion of the challenge. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have little interest in a discussion thread dominated by that chatter instead of one about Oscar-nominated films and shorts.
Spoilered so Travis doesn't have to read this :

Spoiler:
I know Travis doesn't want me to respond to him, but I was the one who brought it up this year in the compendium thread (though it's been mentioned in previous year). Like Travis, I don't really understand why it's unfair unless one is competing on volume, which they could be. I don't know if Mao's prize is going to go to the longest list or what. The idea is to watch and enjoy Oscar-nominated films and discuss them, and to me the most interesting post so far has been the one I just responded to, mrcellophane's reaction to Begin Again, which didn't even count! Expanding the window in a narrow but natural way just seems to offer more opportunity to do that.
Old 01-20-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After turning it off a few days ago due to hitting too close to home for me, I finally finished Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1. It still hit me like a ton of bricks, but I am glad I watched it. It was a very powerful and heartbreaking documentary.
Old 01-20-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started watching Birdman on WoWTV, but I turned it off. I just didn't feel right watching a movie that had the studio copy warning displayed on the screen at the beginning of the movie. It makes me wonder if the movies on there are pirated.
Old 01-20-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^It sounds like a screener. Not illegal to watch---If you pretend that you're an Academy member!
Old 01-20-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

But certainly not legal to sells subscriptions for. I'm not sure why this is a surprise when the first mention of the service included the term "quasi-legality."
Old 01-20-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

MysterioMan007, welcome to the talk, but Gone Girl you listed on the list wouldn't count. This doesn't start until the 24th. You would have to rewatch it again.
Thanks for the welcome, darkhawk. Sorry I'm just now seeing this, but yeah, I think you overlooked the "current nominees" rule. No worries.
Old 01-21-15, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though it is eligible during the pre-challenge week, I'm actually saving Maleficent for the official challenge. The reason being, I'd like to see Sleeping Beauty before I see it.
Old 01-21-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it was ever clarified, but does the official challenge start on Thursday, Jan 22, or Saturday Jan 24? I'm just wondering, as the dates say Thursday Jan 24.
Old 01-21-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I corrected the day: it's Saturday, January 24. I'll make sure to change the day.
Old 01-21-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I thought I corrected the day: it's Saturday, January 24. I'll make sure to change the day.
I see you did change it. I must have missed it, as last I knew it said Thursday.
Old 01-21-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^It sounds like a screener. Not illegal to watch---If you pretend that you're an Academy member!
I like to think we are all honorary Academy members.

I've been working my way through this year's nominees. I just need to watch Boyhood and The Theory of Everything to complete all of the nominated films in every category.

I can't wait to add many of them to my Blu-Ray library, especially Mr. Turner.
Old 01-21-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
I like to think we are all honorary Academy members.

I've been working my way through this year's nominees. I just need to watch Boyhood and The Theory of Everything to complete all of the nominated films in every category.

I can't wait to add many of them to my Blu-Ray library, especially Mr. Turner.
I like your reasoning. It makes me feel better about re adding WoWTV.
Old 01-21-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Even though it is eligible during the pre-challenge week, I'm actually saving Maleficent for the official challenge. The reason being, I'd like to see Sleeping Beauty before I see it.
I watched Maleficent the other day and really enjoyed it. I might have to purchase it on blu after the challenge is over.
Old 01-21-15, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
2014 Nominees Now Available or Soon --> Streaming / Online / Various Platforms (DVD/Blu):

Begin Again
The Boxtrolls (1/20)
Boyhood
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
Finding Vivian Maier
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Guardians Of The Galaxy
How To Train Your Dragon 2
Ida
The Judge (1/27)
The Lego Movie
Maleficent
Virunga (Netflix Streaming Exclusive)*
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Huh! Helps that there's a lot of "big" films there, but I already have six, one coming and high hopes of getting another soon... biggest year for me!

Originally Posted by Mao
Documentary Feature Nominee:
Last Days In Vietnam (Amazon Streaming Exclusive)*

Documentary Short Subjects:
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1 --> (See it now in case it's taken down!)
The Reaper (La Parka) --> Vimeo On Demand $4.99
White Earth --> Vimeo On Demand $3.99

Animated Short Film:
Feast --> (shot with camera in a theater (!), but watchable)
Nuts. Read that top one as "PRIME" rather than 'just' Amazon... nothing 'free' then, bar the bootleg Feast and probably-hazy Crisis Hotline... oh well. I may call Disney Movies Anywhere and suggest they put Feast up themselves. Can't hurt to ask...
Old 01-21-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've been going back and forth over which to watch first... I may go the opposite way just because of the bonus week, but if that falls through, I agree: Sleeping first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.