Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Info on the Academy Award Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Info on the Academy Award Challenge

I am writing this today to inform everyone that I will not be hosting the Academy Award challenge this year. The reasoning behind this is mainly because I just don't have the passion for it anymore. Over the past few years I've been out of it almost entirely other than starting up the thread and most years I haven't even participated in it at all. I'm not happy with this decision but I know there has to be someone out there better equipped to run this challenge. Not to mention that I am about to start a new job and I don't think I will have the time to host this challenge even if I wanted to. So it is with a heavy heart that I step down as the host of the Academy Award Challenge.

That being said I still have every intention on hosting the Holiday Challenge again at the end of the year as that challenge has and will always have a special place in my heart.

Sorry that I am stepping down, but I do hope that someone else can pick up where I left off and host a great challenge for those who look forward to it every year.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-15, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Info on the Academy Award Challenge

I'm sorry to hear you've lost the enthusiasm, Monkees; I know what that's like. I've lost enthusiasm for quite a few things recently, and I don't think much of it will ever come back.

Given that I take a total reprieve from challenges after Oscars until June, and since TV on DVD* will be concurrent partly with this year's Oscar Challenge anyway, I don't mind to take over this year.

It's been suggested elsewhere that we consider expanding the challenge to run from the day of the nomination announcements (Thursday, 15 January, this year) through the awards telecast (Sunday, 22 February, this year). That would add an entire week. Thoughts? Or would someone else rather host instead of me?
Old 01-12-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I have never run a challenge before but if Travis wants/needs help with the Oscar Challenge I'd be happy to volunteer.

I totally understand why folks would want to start the Oscar Challenge one week early but I don't want to end my TV-on-DVD Challenge viewing early (it's selfish, I know). If other folks want to start on the 15th though, I'll work it out.

I hope the new job works out well for you The Monkees!
Old 01-12-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thanks to the Monkees for all your work on past and future challenges! Hope you can recharge your batteries and at least participate in this challenge sometime again.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
It's been suggested elsewhere that we consider expanding the challenge to run from the day of the nomination announcements (Thursday, 15 January, this year) through the awards telecast (Sunday, 22 February, this year). That would add an entire week. Thoughts? Or would someone else rather host instead of me?
I was the most recent to mention it in the catch-all thread so I can't really second , but I think it makes sense. The nominations are the first point of excitement, and I've watched nominees in that first week that I wished I could count on my list. While this is one of those rare situations when there is NO overlap, people can certainly continue to watch TV throughout the month. From my perspective, the TV challenge is more about volume (so much to watch!) while Oscar is about quality. During the overlap period, if I could watch mostly TV and fit in two Oscar films, I'd be happy.
Old 01-12-15, 10:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Thumbs up to all the above except TM losing enthusiasm.

Understandable though, as I can't stay excited about all of my 'jobs' here either. You've help create a great thing here, and I look forward to participating (even if just watching one item and reading the threads) in every Challenge.
Old 01-12-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've come to really enjoy and appreciate this challenge year after year. 2015 is no exception, with a long list of unwatched films that I'm ready to explore.

Thanks to The Monkees for all of his efforts in hosting this one each year. Also, I'm glad a few have offered to step in because of his absence. It should be a relatively easy challenge to host, partly because of all the previous framework being in place. There's no debate over what "counts" and there's work relating to the distribution of prizes. Here's last year's thread, for those interested. A few links would need to be modified, but The Monkees did a great job of linking all the past discussion/lists in the OP.

Regarding the earlier start time, I don't have a strong preference. Even with a January 22nd start date, my interests would be split for the last part of the month between TV shows/AA nominated films.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 01-12-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you lost your enthusiasm for what you helped create The Monkees, but I hope you can still participate in the challenge, even if just chiming in on the discussion thread. As for starting early, I don't really mind, as it would give me a chance to mix up a couple movies during the TV Challenge. I've been looking for an excuse to watch my new Disney movies.
Old 01-12-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Besides the Sci-Fi Challenge, the Academy Award Challenge is one that I look forward to every year. Regardless of who host, I plan to participate. Thanks to Steven for hosting it in years past. Recharge, relax, and keep watching.

In regards to starting it early, I say "Why not?" I know I'm sitting on 15-20 movies that I plan to watch during the Challenge. The earlier, the better...
Old 01-12-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Why start it early? It is getting to the point where all challenges overlap by weeks. It was better, and less muddled when each month had its challenge, with the holiday challenge being the longest one. I see I am in the minority, and will probably lose but I am voting against it. The tv/ oscar challenges already have 9 days of overlap, why is another 7 needed.
Old 01-12-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Why start it early? It is getting to the point where all challenges overlap by weeks. It was better, and less muddled when each month had its challenge, with the holiday challenge being the longest one. I see I am in the minority, and will probably lose but I am voting against it. The tv/ oscar challenges already have 9 days of overlap, why is another 7 needed.
It's a valid point, but the Oscar challenge is already not clean because it ends with the awards ceremony in late February. The idea behind starting it earlier is that it would coincide with the nomination announcements, which I would argue is a more natural starting point rather than an arbitrary one-month period. It's like starting the holiday challenge to coincide with Thanksgiving.

Starting TV in late December was random, I'd agree, but I took full advantage of it. Then again, I don't really see the harm in it either. You can participate in one or both as you please. And I believe we're only talking about four of the 12 challenges overlapping, not all of them.
Old 01-12-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the Oscar challenge goes a week earlier, then the last three challenges all started 1 week earlier then last year. I understand its all moot, and I can participate as I see fit, I just like to state the opinion that things were working fine. There are people, like myself, who participate in both challenges. I already lose a week of the tv challenge for the oscar and that is fine with me. Now we are cutting off another week? Why not extend it to the end of the February, where there is no other challenge. It doesn't matter in the end, because I'll start when they are announced like everyone else.
Old 01-12-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of starting it on the 15th. I'm normally against arbitrary start dates, but in this case, I think there is a solid reason to do so.
Old 01-12-15, 08:10 PM

I kind of like DarkGod's idea of making it just February. Why does it have to end after the awards show? That show just gets me excited to watch the films I've just raved about all night, but I can't (well, for Challenge counting at least). Having that time after the show to track down and watch stuff celebrated all night would be cool.
Old 01-13-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish there was some rhyme or reason to the date of the Academy Awards. It has varied from being as late as April to now being at the end of February. I'd be for all of February if there was so way of knowing that it won't be held in March in the next five years.
Old 01-13-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Proposal:

1/15-1/21 - 2014 nominees only
1/22-2/22 - All past and present nominees

Thoughts?
Old 01-13-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

That sounds like a plan and would give me an excuse to see Selma again next week.
Old 01-13-15, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Proposal:

1/15-1/21 - 2014 nominees only
1/22-2/22 - All past and present nominees

Thoughts?
I get the thought of encouraging focused discussion for a burst like that, but I see it as way too limiting.

If anything, 2014 nominees need time after the show.
Old 01-13-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed with Trevor.
Old 01-13-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I get the thought of encouraging focused discussion for a burst like that, but I see it as way too limiting.

If anything, 2014 nominees need time after the show.
The challenge always ends with the show, though, so if you want to amend that, that's a whole 'nother debate. I don't see the Nominations Week as limiting so much as just a focused sort of bonus week. This would preserve the 30 day structure for the challenge proper as it always has existed, while giving those who get excited about the current nominees a chance to delve into those without having to wait for the arbitrary 30-day window to open.
Old 01-14-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I hope that I can participate at some point this year but I'm not counting on it. I hope everyone enjoys the challenge this year!
Old 01-14-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm fine with whatever the Sheepmaster--er, host decides.
Old 01-15-15, 12:07 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If we started on Jan. 24th, then it would be 30 days including Oscar Day, which feels like a solid months challenge. Just the month of February is too short and concluding with the ceremony just feels right...

Last year's challenge was 30 days and just happened to be perfectly timed to start on Feb. 1st and end on Oscar Day, March 2nd.

Nonetheless, I would be happy to host the challenge and have a few Oscar DVD prizes that I could toss in to make it fun!

If everyone agrees, then I'll get going on it over the weekend. Or Travis and I could co-host...

Last edited by Mao; 01-15-15 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, before a start date can be decided we should really have a host. Then they can decide.
Old 01-15-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would think that Travis, as the first to volunteer, has first dibs.
Old 01-15-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just looked at the 2015 nominees. If we go the route of only 2015 nominees on week 1, I'll only have one eligible movie. I have Maleficent coming from the Disney Movie Club.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.