Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Old 01-27-15, 12:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

I kind of just gave up on this challenge although I did manage to watch the first DVD of Veep (Season One).
Old 01-27-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Just hit 170 hours with the Amazon Point of Honor pilot and still have a fighting chance at 200. I thought I might watch some of the double-credit Star Trek movies Travis listed, but I see that First Contact and most others have been removed from Prime (except Nemesis--wut--and Into Darkness). That does make me feel better about having purchased the BD Stardate Collection, but that doesn't do me much good sitting in front of a computer. I've switched to the first episode of Enterprise, which has long been on my to-0watch list, though I was tempted to watch North and South after getting a taste of the Civil War in the Amazon show.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Thanks for the encouragement! I've been trying not to read synopsis of S2 on IMDB as I'd like to pick up with S2 in the next few weeks. Just trying to decide if I want to hold off for the March Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge. I have *way* too much unopened product for that one too (imagine that!).
Yeah, dude--don't read ANY synopses. Please.
Old 01-27-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Holy Pied Piper, Batman! I just watched perhaps the *worst* of the season 3 Batman episodes - "Nora Clavicle and the Ladies' Crime Club." If there are any worse than this one I do *not* want to see them! The entire police force is fired due to a female rights activist and replaced by women who are more interested in sales going on at department stores than police work and are terrified of mechanical mice released to blow up the city so the activist and her cronies can collect on a insurance policy. Batman, Robin, and Batgirl are tied in a human knot (no ropes, just "laced" together in a manner that can kill them if they move), escape when Batman suddenly recalls the way to untie the knot, and lure the mechanical mice to Gotham harbor with flutes. The harbor set looks to be chalk drawings of buildings and the street on black flats. If you watch this season, beware!
Old 01-28-15, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm in the mood for sports today, so will mainly be focusing on sporting events. Starting with a Blue Jays game on MLB.TV.
Old 01-28-15, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Tonight's agenda includes Danger 5 and Arrow. I might squeeze in one or two eps of The Irregular at Magic High School.
Old 01-28-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Just finished the first season of Person of Interest. The season as a whole was great. The finale was fantastic.

For anyone that has watched the subsequent seasons, does the show experience any kind of drop off or has it continued to maintain a high level of excellence?
Old 01-28-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I just finished watching the Infamous Gimmicks episode of WWE Countdown, and now it makes me sometime, maybe later today to watch some of the old WWF and WCW shows or PPVs. There was talk of characters like The Mountie, and Akeem the African Dream.
Old 01-28-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S3 of Batman and I'm pleased to say things got better! A fairly good Penguin episode, a surprisingly entertaining 2 parter with Shame, a nice King Tut and Joker ending with a interesting premise featuring a pair of rather uninteresting villains, Dr. Cassandra and her husband Cabala, and one I'd been somewhat dreading - a episode with Zsa Zsa Gabor that actually ended the series on a somewhat high note. I know I'll be watching this one again and probably soon as my youngest grand daughter (3 1/2) *asks* to watch Batman. She *loves* the theme song and sings along when it's running!

After that I switched gears and cracked open Vikings, another blind buy. I partially watched a episode during the first season but caught it in the middle of the episode and didn't really get caught up in what was going on. I pretty much wrote it off at the time thinking it was just another in a string of "modernized" (i.e. ninja style fighting/cliche' filled/modern women types/trash talking/Zena-Hercules type) pseudo historical series. After S1 came up for ~$10 from Amazon during Christmas sales I did more reading on the series to find it's based on actual people and is fairly accurate historically that doesn't have all the modern trappings which tend to hurt many such efforts (I'm looking at *you* Tudors). This is a pretty good series and so far feels historically accurate. Much to my surprise, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 01-28-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just hit 170 hours with the Amazon Point of Honor pilot and still have a fighting chance at 200. I thought I might watch some of the double-credit Star Trek movies Travis listed, but I see that First Contact and most others have been removed from Prime (except Nemesis--wut--and Into Darkness). That does make me feel better about having purchased the BD Stardate Collection, but that doesn't do me much good sitting in front of a computer. I've switched to the first episode of Enterprise, which has long been on my to-0watch list..
I've tried to start Enterprise three times. And... well. Failed.
Old 01-28-15, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Just finished the first season of Person of Interest. The season as a whole was great. The finale was fantastic.

For anyone that has watched the subsequent seasons, does the show experience any kind of drop off or has it continued to maintain a high level of excellence?
I watched most of #2 before something intervened and forced a pause, but I've heard from usually-reliable folk that it gets even better..! I just bought #3, so I'm hoping to catch up soon and see if I agree, byt I don't think I've heard anything bad.
Old 01-28-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ntnon
Sounds like me with Babylon 5. I will get to season 2 someday!
Old 01-28-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

It gets even better, though it moves in a slightly different direction.
Old 01-28-15, 01:30 PM

Older comment...
I finished Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with S7 yesterday... I liked the final episode until the war ending celebration at "Vic's" in the holosuite with its over half hour of "tear jerker" type flashbacks of the full series for each major character. Honestly, I fast forwarded through all that as it did nothing for me other than fill time....
For shame! You MUST sometime re-watch the teary summaries! For this reason - the hilarious lapses in "important" memories.

I forget now if they did - as I'd always heard - completely erase Jadzia from everyone's fond recollections, but the funniest is Miles':

Spoiler:
His whole extended memory clips are of Dr Bashir! He has a wife! ..and they have a daughter - to whom a lot happened - and then had another child on DS9.... born in VERY memorable circumstances! But, nope. Seven years of Julian...
Old 01-28-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm one of a half-dozen people on the planet who profess to liking Enterprise. It *did* take a few episodes to get "involved" in the story and the theme song is perhaps the worst of any Trek series but overall I like the series. I still have season 4 in the wings and had thought I might get to it this month but it's not to be. I may watch it in February as I don't do the Academy Award Challenge.
Old 01-28-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I watched most of #2 before something intervened and forced a pause, but I've heard from usually-reliable folk that it gets even better..! I just bought #3, so I'm hoping to catch up soon and see if I agree, byt I don't think I've heard anything bad.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It gets even better, though it moves in a slightly different direction.
Thanks for the feedback. I only own the 1st season, so I'm moving the other seasons up on my wish list.
Old 01-28-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Older comment...

For shame! You MUST sometime re-watch the teary summaries! For this reason - the hilarious lapses in "important" memories.

I forget now if they did - as I'd always heard - completely erase Jadzia from everyone's fond recollections, but the funniest is Miles':

Spoiler:
His whole extended memory clips are of Dr Bashir! He has a wife! ..and they have a daughter - to whom a lot happened - and then had another child on DS9.... born in VERY memorable circumstances! But, nope. Seven years of Julian...
Well... I *did* FF through the majority but I at least did it "slow" enough to get the gist and I think you're correct. I do not recall seeing Jadzia at all. I might have to go back to check on the one for O'Brian - that's just too funny!
Old 01-28-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm one of a half-dozen people on the planet who profess to liking Enterprise. It *did* take a few episodes to get "involved" in the story and the theme song is perhaps the worst of any Trek series but overall I like the series. I still have season 4 in the wings and had thought I might get to it this month but it's not to be. I may watch it in February as I don't do the Academy Award Challenge.
I just started episode 2 and was amazed by the craptacular theme song. It makes Alexander Courage sound like Mozart!
Old 01-28-15, 02:11 PM

One day I'll see it, and I doubt I'll hate it as much as I fear, but... yes: the first episode is long, dull and did not interest me at all, but it's the notStarTrek (and separately, just rubbish) theme song (song!) that really puts me off..
Old 01-28-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I just started episode 2 and was amazed by the craptacular theme song. It makes Alexander Courage sound like Mozart!
One day I'll see it, and I doubt I'll hate it as much as I fear, but... yes: the first episode is long, dull and did not interest me at all, but it's the notStarTrek (and separately, just rubbish) theme song (song!) that really puts me off..
All it took was for me to hear about half the theme *once* before I started skipping it. Normally I listen to Trek opens but there's no way I'll subject myself to that punishment. The visuals are quite good - it's just a shame the music is so bad!
Old 01-28-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

If you're a fan of the "Nature" series on PBS, you should check out tonight's installment, "Penguin Post Office."

A friend of mine has a blog where she reviews PBS docu's and she reviewed this one:

http://judithtrojan.com/2015/01/28/p...n-pbs-tonight/

Old 01-28-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey, all. I'm up to my eyeballs in insanity right now. I have no idea how I'm going to handle the prizes in a timely fashion (I may try to recruit someone else with hosting experience to pinch hit for me). In case I don't check back in with this thread before the end of the challenge, I hope everyone had a good time and maybe found some new favorites or at least discovered that old favorites have held up well. And if you don't hear from me again, someone be sure to tell Melody Gardot that I was in love with her.
Old 01-28-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

After a somewhat slow first season, I liked Enterprise a lot. Probably my second favorite Trek after the original series.
Old 01-29-15, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I watched the penguin episode of "Nature" last night and loved it, but then "Nature" is one of the few current TV shows I follow.

However, I read an article on the new Fox show, "Empire," in the New York Times yesterday and it intrigued me to the point where I tuned into Channel 5 (NYC) immediately after "Nature" ended, intending to give "Empire" a chance and see how I liked it. Well, I wound up watching the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely, which is unusual for me when it comes to contemporary American network TV dramas, something I rarely, if ever, have watched in the last 15-20 years. (I remember sampling all the current cop shows back around 1995 and that may have been the last time.)

It's rare to see a primetime soap with powerful black characters, and rarer still to see Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson get such strong, juicy roles. The drama arose organically from the characters rather then have the demands of the melodrama dictate what the characters do. I may watch future episodes. It was very well edited and produced, also. I only wish there weren't so many damn commercials.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-29-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

It got better as it went along and season 4 had some amazing episodes. I think it it had been allowed to continue, without network interference, it would have been an excellent series.
Old 01-29-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finished S3 of Batman and I'm pleased to say things got better! A fairly good Penguin episode, a surprisingly entertaining 2 parter with Shame, a nice King Tut and Joker ending with a interesting premise featuring a pair of rather uninteresting villains, Dr. Cassandra and her husband Cabala, and one I'd been somewhat dreading - a episode with Zsa Zsa Gabor that actually ended the series on a somewhat high note. I know I'll be watching this one again and probably soon as my youngest grand daughter (3 1/2) *asks* to watch Batman. She *loves* the theme song and sings along when it's running!
Netflix physical DVD doesn't carry the original Batman series for whatever reason so I rented the New Adventures animated series with West and Ward. I'm pretty sure I watched this as a kid since the intro is so familiar. (I decided not to list them as first-time viewings.) It's not as campy as the live-action show but has goofy villains and the "wacky bumbling sidekick" in Batmite. Kinda like Scooby-Doo with Batman, I guess.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
After a somewhat slow first season, I liked Enterprise a lot. Probably my second favorite Trek after the original series.
The first season hasn't grabbed me so far, but as I mentioned, I haven't gotten through the first season of Babylon 5 either, and people say that's amazing afterward. The key is being able to stick with it, though.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Hey, all. I'm up to my eyeballs in insanity right now. I have no idea how I'm going to handle the prizes in a timely fashion (I may try to recruit someone else with hosting experience to pinch hit for me). In case I don't check back in with this thread before the end of the challenge, I hope everyone had a good time and maybe found some new favorites or at least discovered that old favorites have held up well. And if you don't hear from me again, someone be sure to tell Melody Gardot that I was in love with her.
For me, a "timely fashion" is before next year's TV challenge, but thumbs up to help if you can get it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.