Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

I haven't been terribly active in the discussion thread due to the type of television I've been watching. I had plans to set goals and watch some serious television, but instead I opted to marathon lots of Murder, She Wrote, a show that I recently realized is among my favorite. When I was a kid, I watched it with my parents, so it mixes up a nice brew of nostalgia and formula. Also, Jessica Fletcher is such a wonderful character. She is calm and collected and oh-so-very-nice.

I did start a rewatch of Ugly Betty as well as a first time viewing of Farscape, but mostly it's been lots of eighties hairstyles and murderers immediately confessing whenever caught.
Old 01-23-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I haven't been terribly active in the discussion thread due to the type of television I've been watching. I had plans to set goals and watch some serious television, but instead I opted to marathon lots of Murder, She Wrote, a show that I recently realized is among my favorite. When I was a kid, I watched it with my parents, so it mixes up a nice brew of nostalgia and formula. Also, Jessica Fletcher is such a wonderful character. She is calm and collected and oh-so-very-nice.

I did start a rewatch of Ugly Betty as well as a first time viewing of Farscape, but mostly it's been lots of eighties hairstyles and murderers immediately confessing whenever caught.
My wife is a huge fan of Murder, She Wrote and I'd watch it with her during the original run. I recently broke down and purchased the Complete Collection when it was on sale. I started to watch a season or two for this one but am leaning towards using it during the Crime/.../... Challenge.

And don't let that stop you talking about what you've watched. I've pretty much done a episode-by-episode evaluation (rant?) of TNG...

Did you watch *all* of Farscape or just a season or two? That's one of my SF favorites - it's a shame Sci-Fi decided to drop its last season and did only a mini-series to complete it.
Old 01-23-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I started watching The White Queen in the STARZ free preview weekend. It's no Game of Thrones, but I find it pretty interesting, but then I studied for a semester in London and kind of geeked out on the history there, including line-of-succession conundrums. However, I can't concentrate on it as much as I'd like to, and a lot of people are whispering their strategies to each other so I'm turning it off for now and trying DaVinci's Demons instead. Black Sails is also on there, but I don't think I ever finished the first episode back when it aired.
Old 01-24-15, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

There'd been some chatter in the discussion thread about Psych, and it turned out that I'd only logged viewing The Complete Fourth Season in DVD Profiler, so I elected a few days ago to sit down and go through The Complete First Season. It's been several years since I last saw any of these episodes, the first of which aired more than eight years ago now. My thoughts, spoiler'd for length:

Spoiler:
This was the first (and one of very few) post-Sopranos show I fell in love with enough that not only did I make a point to watch new episodes as they aired, but I even bought on DVD (as sales permitted). I can see the characterization take a little while to gel, but the cast's chemistry is there from the beginning - or, at least, the cast minus Maggie Lawson's chemistry is there from the beginning, as Anne Dudek was originally cast as Det. Lasseter's partner for the pilot.

Speaking of the pilot, the DVD set features both the "Domestic Pilot" that originally aired in 90 broadcast minutes, and the "International Pilot" that originally aired in two broadcast hours. The difference in content is a mere 9:43, but the longer version feels a lot more fully developed. There isn't much additional in terms of overall narrative, so much as just more little moments that make the episode feel a little more personable, and a little less perfunctory.

The two strongest episodes are "Forget Me Not", in which Kurtwood Smith plays a retired cop with early onset Alzheimer's who is certain he's unraveled a contemporary murder but has conflated it with a case from decades ago that he failed to prove. There's an element of reverence and tenderness to the episode that elevates it.

The other is the finale, "Scary Sherry: Bianca's Toast", in which Det. O'Hara goes undercover to investigate a sorority besieged by spooky harassment in the wake of what appears to be the suicide of one of its members. This episode was directed by John Landis and written by series creator Steve Franks and its lead star, James Roday. It's the sharpest, most fully developed story in the bunch, with very little fat to be trimmed. A scene of Shawn and Gus reluctantly having dinner with Shawn's dad feels extraneous, until the revelation at the scene's end, which carries the episode to an even higher level of cleverness.

My only real complaint with this season is how frequently jokes come from toying with lazy implied-gay-tension dynamics. One entire arc in "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, He Loves Me, Oops He's Dead!" is built on Shawn and Henry clashing over what the former perceives to be the troubling "metrosexual" habits of the latter. This, after much has already been made of the fact that the case centers on three men who are each found naked in a field with no memory of how they got there. The immaturity of the gag becomes outright tedious, and detracts from what is otherwise a brilliant episode.

Not surprisingly, the weakest and most disappointing episode is "Who Ya Gonna Call?", in which the case is built around a guy with disassociative identity disorder, and one of his identities is feminine. The gag of discovering his feminine wardrobe and seeing him dressed as his feminine identity is absolutely milked. That's particularly frustrating as the let's-all-gawk-at-the-guy-wearing-women's-clothing stuff runs roughshod over what are actually pretty clever plot twists.

Like the pervasive flip-phones, hopefully these elements can one day be waved away as an embarrassingly dated artifact from a time capsule, but it would be disingenuous to make such a claim presently.

My only other qualm is that, like every other series ever built around a singularly talented character, it becomes frustrating as they prove themselves episode after episode, but every single character continues to resist their insights at every turn. Because we know that Shawn and Gus grew up together, it's particularly annoying whenever Gus is the one insisting that Shawn doesn't have anything or can't do something. I completely understand the storytelling demand for conflict between the two, and when Gus's objections are over Shawn's methods, rather than the validity of his insights and talents, those arguments are both more believable and more entertaining.

In terms of bonus features, the lion's share are on Disc 1: James Roday's audition, a show promo fluff piece, a featurette on the show's writers, and a blooper reel. Unfortunately, only Roday's audition is particularly entertaining or interesting. None of the six audio commentaries are very insightful, and largely consist of the commentators laughing at their own work and talking about how many takes they did and how much they had to cut because too many hilarious things were said and done during filming. I don't think I learned anything of interest from any of those tracks.

There's a lot of gold to be found in the season's episodes, though, and on the whole I was satisfied by how well this first season has held up so far - particularly given that these being the oldest episodes, they're also the ones I've seen the most in several of USA's ubiquitous marathons.

I'm not really sure what's next for me. In DVD Profiler, I now only have a few TV shows left to log; primarily, more Psych and more Star Trek: The Next Generation. Annoyingly, my TNG to-log list consists of the first three seasons, only about third of which I really like. I'm considering flaking out tomorrow with some concert DVD's in the daytime. I don't need to log those, but most of them would qualify for this challenge and they'd give me a break from episodic TV. I'm also considering starting in on the Oscars Challenge and perhaps doing some kind of alternation system; a disc of a TV show, then an Oscar-nominee. Just not sure!
Old 01-24-15, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
<SNIP>
I found other channels with some of these shows, including "Kraft Suspense Theatre," so I better watch those quick.

Here's a sample of the latter, an episode with John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txAXVttO434
I watched a great episode of "Kraft Suspense Theatre" last night, "The Jack is High," about a crew of robbers who hijack an armored truck and take $3 million in cash and then hide in a gas tanker truck and drive through various police checkpoints while a crafty old detective tries to i.d. the five men involved. It's genuinely suspenseful.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KJ6uXonKS_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-15, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I'm not really sure what's next for me. In DVD Profiler, I now only have a few TV shows left to log; primarily, more Psych and more Star Trek: The Next Generation. Annoyingly, my TNG to-log list consists of the first three seasons, only about third of which I really like. I'm considering flaking out tomorrow with some concert DVD's in the daytime. I don't need to log those, but most of them would qualify for this challenge and they'd give me a break from episodic TV. I'm also considering starting in on the Oscars Challenge and perhaps doing some kind of alternation system; a disc of a TV show, then an Oscar-nominee. Just not sure!
I subscribe to a Roku channel that is all concerts, and music documentaries. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-24-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday I hit the 150 hour mark with the Season 2 premiere of Ancient Aliens. 6 days left, and 50 hours to go, it is hard to say whether I'll make it to 200 hours.
Old 01-24-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've really tanked it this year. I took today out of work due to inclement weather, and I still can't find the motivation to really watch anything.
Old 01-24-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Trek: TNG S1 is still a rollercoaster ride of quality episodes although those I watched last night and this morning have generally improved.

"Coming of Age" was a surprise. I actually enjoyed it *and* Wesley's trials to enter Starfleet Academy even though the "final test" was pretty much cliche' and fully expected. Better was the "invenstgation" of Picard.

"Heart of Glory" was a very good Klingon based episode. While there are some holes (how does Worf know Klingon tradition and practice it so effectively when it was plainly stated he was raised in such a manner as to *not* know such things?) it was a nice look at Worf and his somewhat isolated past. It also helps explain why he's a Starfleet Officer.

"The Arsenal of Freedom" was full of plot holes and situations that would never occur on the Enterprise. The "Chief Engineer" coming to the bridge to question Geordy during a critical situation *and* try a power play? Ludicrous! The Weaponry Demo *still* running and *no one* on the planet having had enough sense to just shut it off? Beyond belief! Dr. Crusher telling Picard of her rather severe leg injury *after* she's lost enough blood to be in danger? Simply mind boggling! The episode had potential but the writers got lazy and threw it all away.

"Symbiosis" was another throw away episode. The issue was obvious within the first third of the episode. Once you figure out just what the plague really is the rest becomes painfully cliche' and trite.

"Skin of Evil" was one during the original run which was a large reason for my rejection of the series but this rewatching proved it's not as bad as I originally thought. Yes, there are some big logic holes, especially when they leave the planet, but that ending section with the ceremony honoring Lt. Yar was done very well and brings the episode up a notch.

"We'll Always Have Paris" was a good character development episode for Picard and a interesting premis. I enjoyed it far more than I expected when seeing the title (I expected it to be a unused script holodeck episode which it wasn't).

2 episodes to go... I'll get to them sometime today and am slightly leaning towards starting season 2 once those are complete.
Old 01-24-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
2 episodes to go... I'll get to them sometime today and am slightly leaning towards starting season 2 once those are complete.
Glutton for punishment....
Old 01-24-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Working my way through the STARZ preview, and I feel like I've seen a lot of very attractive people remove period costumes from their modern bodies in order to have sex. At first Outlander looked like it was going to go for the female demographic and skip the nudity, but no. I am in no way complaining here.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I've really tanked it this year. I took today out of work due to inclement weather, and I still can't find the motivation to really watch anything.
Just take a mulligan and wait for next year. No need to force it if you're not feeling it.
Old 01-24-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just take a mulligan and wait for next year. No need to force it if you're not feeling it.
I'm still gonna try to watch a few things I'd started, but it isn't priority one or anything.
Old 01-24-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm still gonna try to watch a few things I'd started, but it isn't priority one or anything.
I've been where you are. There are some challenges in the past year I really looked forward to, but when time came, couldn't get into it.
Old 01-24-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

As the end of this challenge is coming closer, I really don't think I'll even get to any of my planned watches. All mindless watches for me this month! Kind of disappointed as I had planned on watching ST:TNG: S. 1 myself, which others are watching as well. There's a bit of time left, but I have more distractions coming up this week (visitors from out of town) and started on the Academy Awards Challenge as well, which I seem to have more desire for at the moment.

As for TNG s. 1, it's been quite awhile since I last watched it. An episode here or there, so I'm interested in seeing how I think of it as I remember liking it. I have to admit to liking Wesley Crusher-he was one of my main reasons why I liked the show-perhaps because it was someone closer to my age in a show with all adults. Now that I'm one (so they tell me, at least) now, it'll be interesting how he holds up, especially in this first season.
Old 01-24-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I just discovered a lovely Christmas episode on YouTube:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I6k1tepGbTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's an episode of "The Ray Milland Show" and it aired on Dec. 23, 1954. In it, Milland (as a college prof) and his wife take in an orphan girl for Christmas and she's a little brat determined to ruin Christmas for everybody at the orphanage by exposing Santa Claus as a fake...but then something happens. See for yourself. Oh, and it's a sitcom!

The girl is played by Beverly Washburn, a remarkable child actress whom I've also seen on The Lone Ranger, Dragnet, and Science Fiction Theatre. She was later in an episode of Star Trek ("The Deadly Years").

Why did this episode never air on TV when I was growing up? It would be a natural for holiday revivals like so many other classic Christmas episodes.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-26-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Going to the last week of the challenge, I just want to get rid of my backlog on my DVR. I didn't watch much TV last week but I plan to watch episodes of Gotham and The Flash.

I ended up finishing S1 of Elementary which I loved and rewatched S1-3 along with S8 of Psych. I also rewatched all of the episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
Old 01-25-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
Glutton for punishment....
That's one way of looking at it!

I opted to continue with Chuck since I'd only viewd 2 episodes before burning through TNG S1. It's picked up somewhat and the "*She's* the bad one!"/"He's the bad one!" bickering has seemingly stopped with both "opposing" agents now essentially working *with* Chuck to get things done. I don't know how much I care for the goings on at "Buy More" but it does break things up a bit. I enjoyed the episode "Chuck Versus the Alma Mater" where Chuck discovers his former room mate actually *helped* him by getting him kicked out of Stanford.

I still may pick up with S2 of TNG, but for now it's going to be Chuck until S1 is over. It's a short season (13 eps) so that won't be long...
Old 01-25-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday I watched eleven TV episodes from nine different series, tied with last Saturday's total for the highest amount per day in the challenge. Five episodes were American, six were Japanese.

With Queen Millennia and Yawara!, I completed my goal of watching titles that start with each letter of the alphabet.

Also in yesterday's tally, I watched episodes in five different formats: TV broadcast, DVD, VHS, Blu-ray and YouTube.

The Blu-ray, "Clannad," was my first Blu-ray for the challenge, because, quite frankly, it's the only TV material I have in that format. It's a Japanese animated series from 2007.
Old 01-26-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite channels on the Roku is their Smithsonian Channel. I wish we got that channel, but Dish doesn't carry it.

Edited to add:

I see Roku has a Shout channel with quite a few old time TV shows on it, and a lot of MST3K and Elvira's Movie Macabre too.
Old 01-26-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S1 of Chuck. It got better and I really enjoyed the season. I don't see how they'll keep the momentum going for 4 more seasons, especially considering at least S2 is a more "normal" length. Still it's entertaining. I got a good laugh in the episode "Chuck Versus the Crown Vic" when Chuck redirected the guided rocket to Casey's car. It also made me wonder just *who* knows the GPS coordinates of their car? And why didn't Chuck simply change them enough to move the target off a few dozen feet?

I then switched back to Batman to start S3. I really like the show but S3 is just not as good as the first two. There seem to be many factors in play causing that lack of quality. *New* sets are now somewhat surrealistic being simply doors/flats/decorations against a black background. It kind of works but looks really cheap. Scripts are not quite as witty and the introduction of Batgirl, which was intended to attract new viewers, makes the episodes feel watered down as they now have to include stuff for her to say/do. The Batgirl "theme" song is horrible! It's almost as grating as the tone they used for Siren's man altering "wail".

There was a major continuity error in the first episode of the season. Barbara Gordon exits the room in which Penguin has her locked and ventures down the ledge to her apartment which is next door. The issue is there's a *huge* balcony she'd have to cross to get there, the balcony doors are open, and she's never seen crossing the area (by anyone - even the viewing audience) in spite of the fact that this area is shown during her "crossing" time.

Frank Gorshen is back as Riddler and that's welcome! He's the best version of that character on film!

Many episodes are stand-alone but they still seem to be keeping the 2-part aspect for most "major" villains.
Old 01-27-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I was googling for something else, I randomly thought of an anime series I used to watch as a kid, Ikkyu-san. I figured it wasn't on any streaming services, but it is on Youtube, and when I realized it totally counts for this challenge I watched an episode. Now that I mention, I kinda think Ash and I have talked about this series before.
I only have a few episodes (with no subs.) on VHS and DVD. Are the episodes on YouTube subbed? And do you have a link?

Thanks.

@Davidh777: I found episode 1 of Ikkyu-San subbed. You have to click on the "CC" on the bottom right corner of the screen to access the subs. They were done by someone whose English isn't that great and the character names all have Vietnamese spelling, but otherwise, it's adequate:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EYJoU-P-wOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-27-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's one way of looking at it!

I opted to continue with Chuck since I'd only viewd 2 episodes before burning through TNG S1. It's picked up somewhat and the "*She's* the bad one!"/"He's the bad one!" bickering has seemingly stopped with both "opposing" agents now essentially working *with* Chuck to get things done. I don't know how much I care for the goings on at "Buy More" but it does break things up a bit. I enjoyed the episode "Chuck Versus the Alma Mater" where Chuck discovers his former room mate actually *helped* him by getting him kicked out of Stanford.

I still may pick up with S2 of TNG, but for now it's going to be Chuck until S1 is over. It's a short season (13 eps) so that won't be long...
Chuck #1 was a bit rocky (like TNG #1), but season 2 is one of my favorites of any show - and the season 2 finale is in my top ten episodes of any show. It's a near-perfect 45m.
Old 01-27-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

@Davidh777: I found episode 1 of Ikkyu-San subbed. You have to click on the "CC" on the bottom right corner of the screen to access the subs. They were done by someone whose English isn't that great and the character names all have Vietnamese spelling, but otherwise, it's adequate:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EYJoU-P-wOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks, Ash!

Chuck #1 was a bit rocky (like TNG #1), but season 2 is one of my favorites of any show - and the season 2 finale is in my top ten episodes of any show. It's a near-perfect 45m.
I don't want to spoil anything for BobO'Link, but I'll just tell him to keep watching.
Old 01-27-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday I watched Lilo & Stitch for the Academy Award Challenge, and I just found out there was a TV series. So without knowing until today, I found out it's a double credit movie.
Old 01-27-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to spoil anything for BobO'Link, but I'll just tell him to keep watching.
Thanks for the encouragement! I've been trying not to read synopsis of S2 on IMDB as I'd like to pick up with S2 in the next few weeks. Just trying to decide if I want to hold off for the March Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge. I have *way* too much unopened product for that one too (imagine that!).

Batman S3 is a rocky watch. There have been some fairly good episodes but mostly it's rough patches. It's as if the production team *knew* it was to be the last season and just gave up. While Yvonne Craig as Batgirl is nice to look at she brings absolutely *nothing* to the show and frequently hurts it. Even though it's one of those shows where you have to check your mind at the door (at least for logic and plausibility) there are some truly head-scratching moments in play this season. So far I can say without a doubt I do *not* like Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. The 3 parter in "Londinium" are perhaps the worst episodes so far. I still like the series but season 3 is rough going. I don't know if I'll revisit this season much in the future.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-27-15 at 11:51 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.