Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Old 12-18-14, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Should be able to watch the series finale of The Wire tonight. Now I'm going to sit back and wait for this challenge to officially begin before I tear into anything else. I also ordered seasons 2 and 3 of Scandal so I will have those waiting for the challenge.

I like the idea of adding a number of hours watched aspect to the challenge. I probably won't reach it since the Oscar Challenge will overlap this year. Can I watch 200 broadcast hours in 21 days? I guess I'll find out.
Old 12-18-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I normally don't bother with the Oscar Challenge and since I don't seem to be doing any Holiday viewing I might as well start early. That gives me another week to rack up numbers.
I do the Oscar challenge but in pretty light numbers--a few of this year's nominees plus a few classics off the unwatched pile. I really rack up numbers in TV and usually work some TV content into practically every challenge except Oscars, B movie, and Criterion.

I love how so many people are starting early. I'm watching holiday stuff but also still bingeing on the HIMYM I started in November and should have plenty left for Boxing Day and onward.
Old 12-18-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched the first episode of Life (2007). I forgot how great Damien Lewis was on this. I watched the first season live but I never finished watching the second season which ended up being the last. Plus it doesn't hurt that Sarah Shahi was on this show. I might finally watch the second season during this challenge.
Old 12-19-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

It's official: We're starting on Boxing Day, and the List Thread is live!
Old 12-19-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm excited about starting the TV challenge early! Now, we just need to have a year-long Criterion challenge! (The last three films I've watched were Criterion releases.)
Old 12-19-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm excited about starting the TV challenge early! Now, we just need to have a year-long Criterion challenge! (The last three films I've watched were Criterion releases.)
So basically, you want a year-round Hulu Challenge!
Old 12-19-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Great looking prizes. A big thanks to Goldenwheels.
Old 12-21-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on vacation until January 4th but I will be spending time at my parents until Dec. 26th so I won't be able to watch some of the series I have been watching until I get home. At least I have Netflix Canada to keep me busy. I'll probably watch Veronica Mars and Fresh Prince while I'm here.
Old 12-22-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm tempted to start listing my stuff on my list as a pre challenge list, and not counting it. Has that thought crossed anyone else's mind?

On another note, I finished North America last night, as I binge watched it the night before, and got through all but the last episode on disc 2 on Saturday night. Tom Selleck may be no Attenborough, but he makes a decent narrator nonetheless.
Old 12-22-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I would like listing my items, I'm refraining from doing so since we are starting early this year. Just a few days more...

I watched the first 3 discs of Animaniacs Volume 1 DVD. The Yakko, Wakko and Dot segments stills holds up for me along with the Pinky and the Brain ones. However, I found the Goodfeathers and Slappy The Squirrel segments annoying. I never really cared for the Rita and Runt ones and I still don't. The Mindy and Buttons ones are still dear to me since I still sometimes quote the "Hi Lady. Okay, I love you. Bu bye."
Old 12-22-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Predator Dinosaurs: The Truth About Killer Dinosaurs. It's an as usual rather good BBC Documentary about a few of the Carnivorous Dinos and the plant eaters they fought to try to kill. Reminds me, I plan to finish Walking With Dinosaurs during the challenge, as I bought the series on Amazon Instant Video.
Old 12-23-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the challenge only a few days away, I was wondering if anyone knew what they planned to start off with. Not really sure myself, as there is so much I could watch.
Old 12-23-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
With the challenge only a few days away, I was wondering if anyone knew what they planned to start off with. Not really sure myself, as there is so much I could watch.
Na na, na na, na na, na na, NA - BATMAN!

The complete series is under the tree impatiently awaiting Christmas morning! I've already warned my wife that I'll be watching a few episodes as soon as it's opened to they (her, kids, grandkids) will just have to be patient with me for a few hours!

After that... There are my new sets of Mister Ed, and You'll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt. Bilko), more Fringe (the 2 older grandkids - ages 11 and 8 - watched the last half dozen eps of S1 with me a few days ago and were pretty ticked I didn't immediately start S2!), X-Files, Stargate SG-1, maybe watch the last season of Deep Space 9 *and* Enterprise or continue with Gomer Pyle or The Odd Couple. Then there's that Adventures of Jim Bowie set I won a couple of years back I'd like to dive into and many many more. Yeah... we need to do this year round!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-23-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not quite sure. I know that I will definitely continue delving into my Murder, She Wrote set. Watching Jessica Fletcher is just too much fun! Other than that, I hope to get through some of the cartoons that have piled up.
Old 12-23-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The complete series is under the tree impatiently awaiting Christmas morning! I've already warned my wife that I'll be watching a few episodes as soon as it's opened to they (her, kids, grandkids) will just have to be patient with me for a few hours!

After that... There are my new sets of Mister Ed, and You'll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt. Bilko), more Fringe (the 2 older grandkids - ages 11 and 8 - watched the last half dozen eps of S1 with me a few days ago and were pretty ticked I didn't immediately start S2!), X-Files, Stargate SG-1, maybe watch the last season of Deep Space 9 *and* Enterprise or continue with Gomer Pyle or The Odd Couple. Then there's that Adventures of Jim Bowie set I won a couple of years back I'd like to dive into and many many more. Yeah... we need to do this year round!

We really do need a year long TV challenge.
Old 12-23-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking that I will start with Castle S5. I bought myself the complete Family Ties Album and have the Blu-ray of True Detective to go through. So many choices and possibilities for this challenge...

The Batman set is down to $142.99 on Amazon.ca and I'm very tempted to buy it. I have cutdown considerably with my Blu-ray and DVD purchases recently but the Batman set along with the Wonder Years and WKRP complete sets have me thinking of splurging this holiday season.
Old 12-23-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Richard Widmark would have turned 100 this coming Friday, Dec. 26, the first day of the Challenge. He did a lot of TV in the 1970s and '80s, including a TV series spin-off of his movie, MADIGAN. I wish I had episodes from that series. It was quite good and a great showcase for the aging Widmark (he was in his late 50s at the time and lived to the age of 93).

I do have one TV movie of his, THE LAST DAY (1975), a western about the Dalton Bros. If I can find that tape, I'll dig it out and watch it on Friday.

Also, if you have a Hulu account, you can watch episodes of "Madigan" on-line:
http://www.tvrage.com/madigan

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-23-14 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I don't think there's anything wrong with listing your pre-challenge watches. It's just a list for yourself, and you can put it in spoiler tags if you think other people won't want to see it.
Old 12-23-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The Batman set is down to $142.99 on Amazon.ca and I'm very tempted to buy it. I have cutdown considerably with my Blu-ray and DVD purchases recently but the Batman set along with the Wonder Years and WKRP complete sets have me thinking of splurging this holiday season.
I can't speak for Batman (haven't opened it yet) or The Wonder Years (waiting for the price to come down a bit) but WKRP is a superb release! The music replacements done were handled very well - even the Pink Floyd "Dogs" replacement in "Turkey's Away." The replacement is "good enough" and stylistically appropriate. If you are not intimate with Floyd (or the uncut episode) you'd never know.
Old 12-23-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested in some classic nature TV this challenge, YouTube has a bunch of episodes of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
Old 12-23-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just noticed travelogue under the checklist. I enjoy Globe Trekker,and subscribe to the Globe Trekked channel on Roku.
Old 12-24-14, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have several DVD season sets I intend to get to, but I confess that I'm sorely tempted to ditch 'em and instead delve into Batman, which is in my group's UltraViolet library. (Holy communal property!) I have the movie on Blu-ray (it's also in the UV library), and I have Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt on DVD, too. I watched the latter for the inaugural TV on DVD* Challenge in 2011, but you better believe that whenever I do go back through the series proper, I'll conclude with that!

Incidentally, 12 January will be the 49th anniversary of the original broadcast of the first episode of that series, "Hi Diddle Riddle"; "Smack in the Middle", the concluding half, aired the next night on the 13th.
Old 12-24-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't speak for Batman (haven't opened it yet) or The Wonder Years (waiting for the price to come down a bit) but WKRP is a superb release! The music replacements done were handled very well - even the Pink Floyd "Dogs" replacement in "Turkey's Away." The replacement is "good enough" and stylistically appropriate. If you are not intimate with Floyd (or the uncut episode) you'd never know.
As much as I want to purchase WKRP, I'll wait for a price drop since it still listed for $90, here in Canada. I was too young when this show was on the air but catching it on re-runs and Hulu Plus gave me an appreciation for the series. I'm glad to see that Shout did a great job acquiring most of the music along with the music replacement.

I think I'll purchase the Batman limited set since I can sell the digital copy to subsidize the set. I think all the extras are present in the non-limited set if I want to go that route.

Now, Wonder Years is a different matter. I can wait and just buy the season sets but I'll be missing the bonus discs that comes with the locker set. I want to buy it but $250 is too steep for a DVD set.
Old 12-25-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While watching Shark Day programs on Discovery, I saw a commercial for a new show, that at least to me looks like it will be good. Big Giant Swords, which looks like a show about a man who makes swords himself.
Old 12-25-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm thinking that I will start with Castle S5. I bought myself the complete Family Ties Album and have the Blu-ray of True Detective to go through. So many choices and possibilities for this challenge...

I purchased the Batman set with the Christmas money I got.

The last few days I spent watching Holidays movies but I will be ready tomorrow to cut down on my unwatched pile of TV season sets. One more sleep...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.