Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any Christmas Movies you'll NOT watch this year.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 06:35 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's face it, the Holidays are coming up. Fast. I'm certain there are some "Special" movies all of you will break out to watch this time of the year. My question is:

Are there any Movies you've decided not to watch? (And not because they are too lame (I'm sure all of us have some movies languishing in what I call "The Bonepile"). Fodder for a future Yard/Garage Sale.

This year I refuse to watch any version of Miracle on 34th Street (ESPECIALLY the 1947 and 1973 Versions.) Why?

Because Macy's (Along with dozens of other retailers) are doing EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what was a major plot on MO34S (Putting aside their corporate greed and cooperating with competitors instead of being at each others throats). Edward Gwenn and Natalie Wood, among others would spin in their graves if they knew what Macy's is doing regarding Thanksgiving Day. Instead of being closed for the holiday, they, among with other retailers, will be OPEN Nationwide on Thanksgiving, and REQUIRING Employees to work this Thanksgiving, some as early as 4:00 AM! (And not referring to the Parade Workers) Because of this I will not be watching any version of 'Miracle, during the Holiday Season, and these movies will be relegated to "The Bonepile" Indefinitely.
Old 11-23-14, 06:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Are there any Christmas Movies you'll NOT watch this year.

The Honey Boo Boo Christmas Special is on my heck no list.
Old 11-23-14, 07:02 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by Trevor
The Honey Boo Boo Christmas Special is on my heck no list.
I wouldn't watch that even if I were offered the world and/or my life depended on it!
Old 11-23-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Regulus
This year I refuse to watch any version of Miracle on 34th Street (ESPECIALLY the 1947 and 1973 Versions.) Why?

Because Macy's (Along with dozens of other retailers) are doing EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what was a major plot on MO34S (Putting aside their corporate greed and cooperating with competitors instead of being at each others throats). Edward Gwenn and Natalie Wood, among others would spin in their graves if they knew what Macy's is doing regarding Thanksgiving Day. Instead of being closed for the holiday, they, among with other retailers, will be OPEN Nationwide on Thanksgiving, and REQUIRING Employees to work this Thanksgiving, some as early as 4:00 AM! (And not referring to the Parade Workers) Because of this I will not be watching any version of 'Miracle, during the Holiday Season, and these movies will be relegated to "The Bonepile" Indefinitely.
Just this evening I was lamenting to my wife how corporate greed has caused many stores to be open on Thanksgiving day! The sad fact is the American Public is the direct cause. If everyone would protest and actually *stay home* on Thursday maybe they'd get the message and not do it again. Of course I don't expect that to happen. I sadly expect stores to be open on Christmas day within the next 5 years so you can do that return within hours of opening the present.

Even so... I'd not let the current climate of profits above employee happines/well-being and the actual good of the people stop me from watching a classic film like Miracle on 34th Street as *it* was made in a more gentle time. I don't believe for a minute Macy's and Gimbal's *ever* cooperated in such a fashion but believe it was wishful thinking on the part of the screen writers. Still it makes for a story like we all wish would truly happen. Maybe the better action would be to send a copy to Macy's corporate offices with a note explaining *this* is how it *should* be done!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-23-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

To answer the OP---I'll not watch most Christmas movies this year. I just don't have the time.
Old 11-23-14, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
To answer the OP---I'll not watch most Christmas movies this year. I just don't have the time.
I wonder how many billion hours of Christmas programming are on disc? I don't have time to watch 10% of what I own, let alone what is out there.
Old 11-23-14, 08:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I won't watch A Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation movies. Hate those with a passion. I have at least 7 different versions of A Christmas Carol that I watch each year. I added up all the Christmas movies I own and it was approximately 50. I doubt that I will get through them all this year.
Old 11-23-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Probably Scrooged. That is a film I can only see once every few years.
Old 11-23-14, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Probably Scrooged. That is a film I can only see once every few years.
Really? What rubs you the wrong way with it?

It and Elf are my perfect Christmas movies. I watch them at least once a year.
Old 11-23-14, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Just this evening I was lamenting to my wife how corporate greed has caused many stores to be open on Thanksgiving day! The sad fact is the American Public is the direct cause. If everyone would protest and actually *stay home* on Thursday maybe they'd get the message and not do it again. Of course I don't expect that to happen. I sadly expect stores to be open on Christmas day within the next 5 years so you can do that return within hours of opening the present.

Even so... I'd not let the current climate of profits above employee happines/well-being and the actual good of the people stop me from watching a classic film like Miracle on 34th Street as *it* was made in a more gentle time. I don't believe for a minute Macy's and Gimbal's *ever* cooperated in such a fashion but believe it was wishful thinking on the part of the screen writers. Still it makes for a story like we all wish would truly happen. Maybe the better action would be to send a copy to Macy's corporate offices with a note explaining *this* is how it *should* be done!
I'm sorry if this Bull-ohhh-neeee regarding Thanksgiving is happening this year, perhaps I'll watch MO3S next year. I'm hoping something will "snap" this holiday season and maybe the "Open on Thanksgiving" trend will turn into a fiasco. I also have at least five versions of A Christmas Carol (1953, Muppet, Disney, All Dogs Go to heaven and 1984 versions) so I'll watch them all back-to-back-to-back on the last full week (Monday to Friday) before Christmas. Naturally I'll save the best versions (1984 and 1985) for last!
Old 11-24-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Really? What rubs you the wrong way with it?

It and Elf are my perfect Christmas movies. I watch them at least once a year.
It's a good movie, don't get me wrong. It is a little too cynical for my tastes, at least to watch over and over again. Very funny, however.
Old 11-24-14, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

It's a Wonderful Life is on my not to watch list. Great movie, don't get me wrong. I just find it way too depressing.
Old 11-24-14, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe it was Walmart that started opening up on Turkey Day at 10pm like 3 years ago.Then others like Target,Sears,Kmart,Best Buy and many other followed on opening as early as 6am on Thanksgiving 2014.

Yeah I do not care for Grey Thursday.But the mass herd of sheeple will
be out and running over each other,some might even die.

I'll stay home most of the day.Food,family and football.
And might buy some online items.

I will not watch christmas vacation,Just not my cup of tea.

Added:
Some of these B&M are going to be out of business before to long.
Sears,Kmart,Radio Shack,Barnes and Noble and maybe even Best Buy.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 11-24-14 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I realized I didn't answer the question earlier, so...

Given a choice I'll not watch Elf. I absolutely do *not* like Will Farrel in anything - he just rubs me the wrong way. I purchased a copy because of all the good reviews but just can't get past my dislike of Farrel in spite of it being a overall pretty good film. Unfortunately my grandkids love the movie so I'm sure we'll watch it at some point.

Christmas Vacation 2 - It's among the worst movies ever made. Cousin Eddie's presence in the "Vacation" movies grew more pathetic and annoying with each film. Why anyone thought a movie with Cousin Eddie as the focus would be funny is a puzzler. The character works as a foil for Clark but falls flat on its own. Thank God my grandkids have never seen it - it's seemingly made for 5 year olds who'll laugh at almost anything - even so, I'd like to think mine have better taste but I don't plan to find out with this dreck.
Old 11-24-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess Jingle All The Way 2. I never have any plans to watch any holiday movies but seeing that it actually existed this morning, I know I won't.

I also have no problem shopping on Thanksgiving, even though I usually don't. At least there's holiday pay involved for them which I never got in the military.

I've also long since realized that a lot of the early doorbusters that people camp out a week for aren't all that great to begin with. It usually ends up being the lowest model of whatever series and it almost pays to spend a little more to get the better version. My wife usually goes out for some toys Friday morning and if I can stay home, I'll just order a couple movies online.
Old 11-24-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I also have no problem shopping on Thanksgiving, even though I usually don't. At least there's holiday pay involved for them which I never got in the military.
My issue with it - and I imagine many others' - is not ao much that places are open, but that (allegedly) people are being threatened/forced to work against their will on a holiday.

If it were free choice... many would choose to work and get the extra pay. But others might actually want a day off that they're essentially entitled to.
Old 11-24-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

There are plenty that I won't be watching. The only one I will be watching is Miracle on 34th St.
Old 11-24-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
If it were free choice... many would choose to work and get the extra pay. But others might actually want a day off that they're essentially entitled to.
As an old man, I grumble at the sense of entitlement young people seem to think they deserve. If you want federal holidays off, you need to get a job with the government that isn't military. I'm a disabled vet, yet I have to work on veteran's day but while I can jokingly grumble at my kids for getting the day off from school, I still go to work because that's just the way it is.
Old 11-24-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
As an old man, I grumble at the sense of entitlement young people seem to think they deserve. If you want federal holidays off, you need to get a job with the government that isn't military. I'm a disabled vet, yet I have to work on veteran's day but while I can jokingly grumble at my kids for getting the day off from school, I still go to work because that's just the way it is.
When I used to work at a hospital, I never got Thanksgiving off. I had my family meal at noon, and worked 2nd shift.
Old 11-30-14, 12:02 AM

Don't Care much for A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, and Its a Wonderful Life. Its a Wonderful Life is a good movie but I have already seen it too many times. Miracle on 34th Street is also a good movie but I just don't care too much for it. I.M.O. A Christmas Story, while not bad is overrated

While I don't watch as many Christmas movies as I used to I have Already watched Christmas Vacation and probably will be watching A Hobos Christmas, Ernest saves Christmas, A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas, and Scrooged (which is my favorite version of A Christmas Carol)
Old 11-30-14, 12:19 AM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I'm only going to watch what I can watch with the 3-year-old, so that's Muppet Christmas Carol (we watched it yesterday on Netflix and she loved it), Rudolph, and maybe the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol (unless anyone thinks it's too scary, I'm all ears).

That means no It's a Wonderful Life, no Scrooged, and no Die Hard for me this year. And you know, I can't recall ever having seen Miracle on 34th Street, any version ever.

Regarding Scrooged, I really like it and I had a thought about it today that makes me want to revisit it. We're reading A Christmas Carol for my local book club this month and I'm listening to a great audio version. I also just finished an hour-long radio dramatization from Orson Welles with Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge and it was phenomenal. His transformation was amazing and I got emotional. You know who else is really good? Michael Caine in the Muppet version. He's very, very good, and even my preschooler understood he went from grouch to sad to merry. Alistair Sim definitely does this in his version, even George C. Scott. But it occurred to me, Bill Murray's Frank Cross doesn't really have a journey like Scrooge. He makes progress, then regresses back into cynicism, over and over. It's a more disjointed journey so when he gets really upset at his cremation scene, that's the first time he truly seems upset by what he's done. There's plenty to laugh at but the poignant moments are disjointed. I remember being a kid and finding the scene where the guy freezes to death sad and Frank is touched in the moment and pretty much forgets all about it by the next scene. I dunno. I want to see it again after examining A Christmas Carol so closely of recent and see what I think.
Old 11-30-14, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by story
Regarding Scrooged, I really like it and I had a thought about it today that makes me want to revisit it. We're reading A Christmas Carol for my local book club this month and I'm listening to a great audio version. I also just finished an hour-long radio dramatization from Orson Welles with Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge and it was phenomenal. His transformation was amazing and I got emotional. You know who else is really good? Michael Caine in the Muppet version. He's very, very good, and even my preschooler understood he went from grouch to sad to merry. Alistair Sim definitely does this in his version, even George C. Scott. But it occurred to me, Bill Murray's Frank Cross doesn't really have a journey like Scrooge. He makes progress, then regresses back into cynicism, over and over. It's a more disjointed journey so when he gets really upset at his cremation scene, that's the first time he truly seems upset by what he's done. There's plenty to laugh at but the poignant moments are disjointed. I remember being a kid and finding the scene where the guy freezes to death sad and Frank is touched in the moment and pretty much forgets all about it by the next scene. I dunno. I want to see it again after examining A Christmas Carol so closely of recent and see what I think.
Good point story, but I think that's the reason why I like it more than the other 76 Christmas Carol adaptations I own. It's a bit more realistic to me. People rarely change overnight, especially people at a far end of the spectrum like Frank. Showing the change to be a bit more gradual made more sense to me.
Old 11-30-14, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Regulus
I also have at least five versions of A Christmas Carol (1953, Muppet, Disney, All Dogs Go to heaven and 1984 versions) so I'll watch them all back-to-back-to-back on the last full week (Monday to Friday) before Christmas. Naturally I'll save the best versions (1984 and 1985) for last!
1984 is the George C. Scott TV Movie, but which one is 1985?

If you like the All Dogs Christmas movie, check out Rover Dangerfield. Both animated movies have a song about a dog peeing/promising not to pee on a Christmas tree. This is why none of us are writing screenplays; we're not classy enough for Hollywood!

As for me, I won't be watching the slasher-themed Don't Open Till Christmas, a used VHS I bought over 15 years ago, when I imagined compiling a reference book, listing Christmas-themed movies and TV shows. I played a couple minutes of the middle (Be kind, rewind) and decided the movie wasn't for me. The reference book idea has since been abandoned; way too much out there to list/find/fit.

Last edited by digidoh; 12-01-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 05:08 AM

Scrooge with Bill Murray Horrible movie I use to watch when I was a kid all time
Old 12-01-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a bit burned out on It Happened on 5th Avenue which I ended up sitting through three times with different family members and friends last year, and once earlier this year when my mother wanted to watch it. It's a movie most people aren't familiar with, hence all the interest from guests when they spot it on my shelf and wind up asking me about it. So I'll be benching that one this December.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.