Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I'm at 49 and it's 2:00 am and unless I find something to pique my interest I'm probably going to crap out.
Old 11-01-14, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Well that's it for me. I wanted to watch a least 30 and got to 34. I am extremely happy with the results considering a new job and other obligations. This challenge really kept me focused on watching more movies, which is great. Can't wait until next year.
Old 11-01-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Nail Gun Massacre may have been the perfect conclusion to the challenge, what zany sleaze.

...but maybe I can stay up until 4am for Evil Dead II or Blair Witch Project.

Edit: Ended up watching Sleepaway Camp II... but not sure why, there couldn't be a better omen that it's time for me to go to bed.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-01-14 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-01-14, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I managed to finish up (made 50, yeah!) with Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988). Campy and the horror doesn't really kick in until the last quarter or so of the movie. Some nice practical effects and I'm not just talking about Elvira's assets. A fun way to spend Halloween night.
Old 11-01-14, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

My list is complete. I ended this year's challenge with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. I think I've overdosed on Shiraz and Peanut M&Ms.
Old 11-01-14, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was sick last night, and slept most of the night, so never got anything past my 100. Thanks Chad for running a great Challenge.
Old 11-01-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Nail Gun Massacre may have been the perfect conclusion to the challenge, what zany sleaze.
Had a lot of fun with that one back during motorcycle horrors theme night. You got it right. Zany and sleazy in equal measure and that finale is a jaw-dropping delight. I'm so glad I finally checked it out.

Need to put together my top 10 over the next couple of days. 52 films! What a whirlwind of a month! Can't believe that November is already upon us. Fantastic challenge. I have a few theme ideas I need to express for next year. Yes, I'm already thinking about it.
Old 11-01-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I managed to hit 100. I was gonna push for one more, but a headache was really starting to settle in. Of the 100, 54 were first-time viewings. My favorite new discoveries were...

The Sacrament
Stage Fright (2014)
The Monkey's Paw
Deliver Us From Evil
Devil's Due
Life After Beth
Exists
The Battery
The Den
13 Sins

Those are the 10 that I can see myself revisiting during future challenges.
Old 11-01-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
That was the most unexpected highlight for me. A lot of fun, and the interview with the one-time director was quite charming. And it's proof how film stock, no matter how old or grainy, can add a level of cinema. If that same movie was filmed on video and uploaded to YouTube, I don't think I'd be quite the same fan.

Originally Posted by JOE29
November 1st- And then depression set in.
Yep. And now it's back to non-stop Clay Aiken commercials for me.
Old 11-01-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I managed to hit 100. I was gonna push for one more, but a headache was really starting to settle in. Of the 100, 54 were first-time viewings. My favorite new discoveries were...

The Sacrament
Stage Fright (2014)
The Monkey's Paw
Deliver Us From Evil
Devil's Due
Life After Beth
Exists
The Battery
The Den
13 Sins

Those are the 10 that I can see myself revisiting during future challenges.
Congrats for making 100. I really wanted to watch some Universal Horror last night to finish the challenge off, but my being sick, put a stop to that.
Old 11-01-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Congrats for making 100. I really wanted to watch some Universal Horror last night to finish the challenge off, but my being sick, put a stop to that.
Thanks! Congrats to you for hitting 100 as well. I found that in not really pushing myself this year that I enjoyed myself so much more. I didn't put any unnecessary pressure on myself to cram in as much as possible. In doing so, I enjoyed probably 90% of the movies I watched.

And sure, there were a lot more things I would have liked to watch. I just ran out of October. Now, I've already got roughly 30 movies lined up for next year, haha.
Old 11-01-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Got to 47 this year. I would of loved to have done more. But life interferes every time. .Got to see a few new movies, but as always I re-visit the old ones. A lot of them I don't watch all year except for this challenge. That's a big reason why I love this so much. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-01-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Thanks! Congrats to you for hitting 100 as well. I found that in not really pushing myself this year that I enjoyed myself so much more. I didn't put any unnecessary pressure on myself to cram in as much as possible. In doing so, I enjoyed probably 90% of the movies I watched.

And sure, there were a lot more things I would have liked to watch. I just ran out of October. Now, I've already got roughly 30 movies lined up for next year, haha.
I learned the same thing. From now on, I'm setting my goal at roughly 100. That leaves me time to enjoy watching other things like I did this year.
Old 11-01-14, 10:06 AM

I hit 100 right at the end on this, my first horror challenge. 41 titles were debut views for me.

Highlights were:

Anguish
Spirits of the Dead
Pin
The Last House on the Beach
Sisters
Terror Express
Wild Beasts
La Orca
Mondo Candido

Good fun. Looking forward to some laughs now.
Old 11-01-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I hit 102 before sunrise came and buried Horror. That's my lowest total in the 5 years I've been participating but I think I like that somewhat slower pace as I'm not as tired as in prior years. That also allowed for some non-horror titles which actually seemed to do a kind of reset and kept the month somewhat lighter in tone. That's something I typically use comedy/horror to do but viewing a totally different genre did it much better.

I was totally surprised that I was able to complete the checklist using mostly material from my unopened pile (*one* film was needed from the shelves for completion)! For the entire month I only watched 4 films that were *not* from the unopened piles which was great!

Most of what I watched, 80 out of 102, were first time viewings. Only two films were from the shelves, one for the checklist and one my grandson selected, and all previously seen films were upgrade copies of films I already own, first time owned, or double-dips in new sets.

For a change, I only purchased 3 or 4 new horror titles during the month and *watched them* instead of putting them on the pile for next year! Of course I *did* add a few talked about films to my purchase queue to pick up later this year.

The problem remains that I *still* have enough unopened horror to do this again... but it's on to Comedy, another genre for which I have more than enough in the unopened piles to fill the month several times.

Overall it's been fun and I can hardly wait for next year but there are all those other challenges in between that are also quite enjoyable!
Old 11-01-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Final Stats:

Total movies watched = 108
Total TV episodes watched = 16 (equals 4 entries total)
Complete watched total = 112
First time views (movies only) = 54 (50%)
Formats used (movies only)= 57 BD (53%), 31 streaming (29%), 19 DVD (17%), 1 theater (1%)
Decades watched (movies only) = 1910s (0), 1920s (0), 1930s (0), 1940s (1 - 1%), 1950s (2 - 2%), 1960s (2 - 2%), 1970s (13 - 12%), 1980s (28 - 26%), 1990s (14 - 13%), 2000s (22 - 20%), 2010s (26 - 24%)
Most popular year watched (movies only) - 2012 @ 11 films (exact same year and number as last time...weird!)
Challenges completed - Watched 100, Subset checklist (and any other challenge that comes from completing the subset list if there is any)
Soundtracks listened to: 25
Graphic Novels read: 2
Magazines read: 1
Books read: 1 (text) & 4 (audio)

It felt strange to watch something other than horror this morning.
Old 11-01-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviews for the last 2 days and some final thoughts and stats for my challenge have been posted! Thanks to everyone who checked out my blog during the month! Time to take a day off and let my brain (and after last night, my liver) recover before I catch up on how everyone did! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...014-final.html
Old 11-01-14, 03:40 PM

My October went out with the cinematic whimper that is The Legend of Sorrow Creek. I hadn't intended on capping off the challenge with that movie. My plan was to stay up late, and I actually had a few other movies queued up for the rest of the evening (Death Spa is sitting in my player). However, I thought I would flip through the channels after Sorrow Creek just to see what the local stations were playing on Halloween and thought I would watch a few minutes of The Werewolf. The next thing I know, I wake up in my chair, and it's already 3:00AM! I fear that I'm not the young lad that I once was.

I did finish the month with 45 viewings, though. It marks one of my better showings. It's hard for me to say what of my first time viewings was my favorite (although Lifeforce is probably the closest frontrunner for the top spot), but I can say without question that The Ridge is the worst movie I have ever seen. I used to think that "found footage" movies were the most detrimental things to happen to the horror genre. As it turns out, mumblecore is even worse.

Finally, if LickTheABCs is following the thread: Hang in there! This year might be a scratch, but I hope you make a strong comeback next October.
Old 11-01-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My favorite first time view was the original The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

My worst first time view was Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated.
Old 11-01-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
So yeah, the film did give me the heebie jeebies. So much so, I was too scared to view part 6 in the producers cut despite having enough time before having to get to bed since I work early tomorrow. Watching the film alone in the dark in the basement is just creepy, and my nerves were rattled and I jumped at various spots in the film. Myers scares the crap out of me. At least in the original series. The Zombie films didn't get that fear running despite their brutality.
Ah yes, there is nothing quite like seeing a frightening movie by yourself in a very dark, lonely environment. Any out of place noise is cause for concern in those circumstances.

I guess the final horror films I watched in October were The Visitor and Swamp Thing. I had never seen much of Swamp Thing beyond a few minutes on cable, so finally watching it after all these years was fulfilling. Wes Craven made the film better than it deserved, because I didn't think much of the make-up for Swampy. Adrienne Barbeau is the primary reason to see Swamp Thing.

The Visitor is one of the worst movies I've sat through in years. So much weirdness and nonsensical plot elements, I grew frustrated halfway through the film. It is funny hearing Lance Henriksen as he mocks it in a new interview on the Blu-ray. I hope they paid Shelley Winters good money for her role, I have no idea how they roped her into it.
Old 11-01-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Finished off with The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (by the folks that brought you Amer). I knew what to expect going in, so I could enjoy it for the visuals and sound. For those that have seen it:

Spoiler:
Was there ever any murder story? Or was the whole thing a metaphor for a guy's fears of women's lady parts (much like Amer wasn't really about any kind of story, but a symbolic representation of a girl's maturation)?
Old 11-01-14, 09:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Another fun challenge comes to a close. Thanks again to Chad for all the hard work!

I was on track to have another year of 100% first time views, but I screwed up last night by watching a movie I had already seen about 4 challenges back but had forgotten... DUH!

And I'm not quite done with horror yet. Now I'm going to spend a few weeks checking out some of the extras and special features for all the movies I watched.
Old 11-01-14, 10:09 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Disappointments:
...Dead & Breakfast – Never before have I seen a horror film that can’t make up its’ mind on what it wants to be. Is it a horror/comedy, a musical, or a satire? Unfortunately it tries to be all three and becomes jumbled.
I agree that it's a jumbled mini-mess, but it's so off the wall bizarre that the jarring differences in styles and tone just added to the amusement for me. I fold satire into comedy, and assumed the musicals were asides and oddities... so it's a horror-comedy with occasional crazy musical bits!

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Scanners – A film with a large fan-base, which I simply didn’t enjoy. Considering its reputation and alluring premise I think I will give it a re-watch in the near future.
Glad to see someone essentially echoing my thoughts. This was high on my list of Criterion titles to pick up soon, then I watched it on Hulu because I could, and... it's moved to a long way down my list, and I doubt I'll try too hard to get it unless, as you say, I try it again next year (or so). Never mind! Plenty of things to watch and get.
Old 11-01-14, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
For a change, I only purchased 3 or 4 new horror titles during the month and *watched them* instead of putting them on the pile for next year! Of course I *did* add a few talked about films to my purchase queue to pick up later this year.
Aarrghhh! Who are you, and what have you, etc., etc.

I barely bought anything new (horror-wise) this month, too. I was going to buy a couple, but Amazon told me I had them..... goodness only knows where, though.
Old 11-01-14, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ah yes, there is nothing quite like seeing a frightening movie by yourself in a very dark, lonely environment. Any out of place noise is cause for concern in those circumstances.
I sat and watched Halloween for the first time last night on my own, with the cold wind rattling our decorations against the door every few minutes... fun..

I actually had Halloweens 1, II and III all lined up - so I could watch them in order, but also watch the subset pick - but... I lost a couple of hours due to Unforeseen Circumstances and then just got tired/couldn't be bothered to keep going.

I enjoyed it (Halloween) well enough, but can't believe my R2 DVD had a big "18" stuck on it. If it weren't for the all-too-frequent Moments Of Idiocy
Spoiler:
(turning ones back, not checking on MM even after he got up the first time, etc.)
I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. A bit different than I'd expected, and I'm actually looking forward to II and the rest next year.

Finished off the challenge with the halloween episodes of Modern Family and Black-ish and moved on to comedy and Alpha House.

Good year. Stats to follow...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.